Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Gay-Straight Alliance in the Middle School

Did you read in Thursday Free Press about the new club at the Middle School called “Gay-Straight Alliance”? Yes – these are students in our Middle School. To celebrate this type of diversity, the club has hung posters up at certain locations in the school which show pictures of celebrities who are well-known to be lesbians, gay, bisexual, transgender, or ****** Other posters include people who are successful and talented LBGBTQ with their photographs and bios. They are guided by one of their advisors and school guidance counselor Chessie Shaw and advisor Bret Whittier. The comment made was that the club offers student a “safe” space there students feel “safe”. It’s disheartening to know that some students at the Middle School do not feel safe – to the extent that a special club has to be formed to provide them safe havens. I wonder if this is another potential case for the state OCR to investigate – just wondering.

Whittier even bragged about their increasing influence by telling a story which involved Principal Brent Conway, who was petitioned by the group for the Veterans Day Assembly not to recommend that “boys” wear shirts, ties, and perhaps a suit and that “girls” wear dresses, a suit and nice pants – but instead say that kids should be “dressed up”. The club members feel that gendered clothing guidelines were unnecessary and counterproductive. And of course, true to form, Brent Conway caved in – after all – kids know best!

I look forward to touring the Middle School someday to admire these wonderful posters of so many celebrities that our students admire – but I hope they didn’t take down the posters in the STEM area of the outstanding scientists, engineers, mathematicians, etc. who shaped and changed our world for the better. It’s nice to know that there are no “adults” left at the Middle School since Mr. Brow left!

Re: Gay-Straight Alliance in the Middle School

I previously tried to understand how only 2% of the population can dictate to the other 98% of the population. However after seeing this situation at our Middle School, one can clearly see how this is done - weak and feckless leadership.

A standard technique of the gay community (Gay Alliance, etc.) is to get youth to support their agenda and even "question their sexuality". Unfortunately,, intimidated educators become the enablers and provide the platform.

I guess that strategy works - especially in Melrose.

The Village Voice
A standard technique of the gay community (Gay Alliance, etc.) is to get youth to support their agenda and even "question their sexuality". Unfortunately,, intimidated educators become the enablers and provide the platform.

Do you know what year this is? 2015, almost 2016. Not 1950. Your homophobic and ignorant comments are not acceptable. No one is trying to get anyone to convert from one team to another by "questioning their own sexuality." Read up on the science. This is not true. There is no agenda of conversion. Have you read how many kids commit suicide because they are bullied on their gender identity and sexual orientation? You and Michele Bachman are on the same page. Wow.

Also, educators should allow students to feel safe, no matter what their sexual orientation. No one is making anyone wear anything they don't want to. Why does it scare you so much when words are used to be inclusive? A principal allowing such a small change in wording has you in fear for the sexuality/gender identity of others (or yourself)?

As for you MFD, this homophobia you display is just another offshoot of your entitled old white guy rant. Since you have stated in the past that racism does not exist and is only a democratic party construct, it is not surprising that you are also a homophobe in addition to being delusional on these social issues.

Time for a Ginger Alliance.

To whomever made this original post, you absolutely made me feel sick in the pit of my stomach. So many people critique Melrose on its integrity after all the recent drama in the high school, and you DARE to think that this GSA is an infraction of some sort? To consider an investigation due to something so common in the communities surrounding us is absurd. Who does this hurt? What line is this crossing? Pushing awareness to LGBTQ+ is NOT something that has to be created necessarily because of bullying or anything of that nature. A "safe" zone could just mean that it is a place where children can openly talk about their sexuality and/or gender identity without fear of homophobics punishing them because it is seen as a wrong. This is letting a child know that there is more than the hetero norms, I'm assuming, you shove down your own children's throats and opening them up to a world they feel comfortable in. Which is amazing.
I applaud the Middle School and the slight change on the wording to make kids feel more comfortable in a confusing stage of their lives. Your homophobia is something that keeps me from feeling comfortable in this community when I'm holding my girlfriends walking down the street. If you really want to further Melrose in this day and age it's called open mindedness. Start learning it, because my "agenda" is blank, but acceptance is profound. Like said in the comment above, so many youth commit suicide due to gender or sexual orientation. If that can be reduced by a simple club, then what is the harm? It's disgusting that homophobia is even still a thing. I'm baffled someone would even write this post.

Middle schools should not be promoting the "T" in "LGBT." Despite what liberals proclaim, the science remains unsettled as to whether transitioning is healthy. There is ample evidence to suggest that transitioning is detrimental to the psychological well being of the patient. Forcing "T" down the throats of middle school students could ultimately be detrimental to their health. The left can embrace kick and scream as much as they like but they should not be able to put this in front of children to push their own agendas since there is evidence which suggests it is harmful. The science is at best unsettled; but more likely, contrary to their views and in no way is it sufficient to be put in front of pre-teens.

Well spoken, No "T", with a strong dose of common sense and facts - something lacking in the previous posting. If the far left has their way - no doubt we will see this "club" in our elementary schools - and wouldn't that be nice.

Okay Ms. M and Human Rights Commission, if you care as much as you claim, get to work! You've got ample evidence right here of the inherent ignorance and bigotry in your precious small-minded Melrose, where bullying has become a "norm" instead of an aberration.

Instead of ruing the presence of this message board and even going to the lengths of having an illegal Executive session (HRC April 2014, no minutes, no posted agenda, nothing legal whatsoever) to protest the things posted here about the administration's coverup and protection of a teacher who told a black student to "go back to the plantation," you could be doing something about the kinds of postings like those most recently entered here about the LGBT initiatives at MVMMS (which should be applauded on the face of it, although there is absolutely no reason to trust that anything implemented by this administration will be done right). All these sanctimonious do-gooders posting their fakeries, and here is something right in front of the community, once again, that draws all the uglies out of the woodwork, and yet there is no unified, intelligent voice to reply.

Same goes for the way our alderman, Ms. Medeiros, was treated last Thursday night by the CFO. Where is the outrage from the pretend anti-bullying squad to a city official calling Ms. M "disgusting" and "ignorant," personalizing and behaving in an outrageously contemptuous and bullying manner? Silence. Or when Mr. 26% and bullying "colleagues" continuously attack Mrs. K on the SC? Again silence. The deafening silence shouts the real message from too much of Melrose, that of intolerance and acceptance of humanity's ugliest behaviors as "normal" here. Is this really the best you can do, even in this season where better values are supposed to be celebrated and reinforced?

to "no T": You are espousing the same kinds of BS that have for so many years been spewed about anyone different (gay, unmarried, pregnant out of wedlock). Your backwards attitudes are a blight on civilized society!

No, Myron, you are dead wrong on this with your posts which are actually quite embarrassing (or should be), which is a shame since you so often speak out courageously and intelligently about important issues. You may as well be calling people Commies, while you're at it, or perhaps terrorists. Since you appear to be basically a very nice and caring person, it would behoove you to study these issues more fully. Here you reveal your irrational and horribly backwards attitudes about those who might be "different" or "other." By the way, there are many of "liberals" or those on the "left" with whom you share many things that might surprise you because clearly you are grossly ignorant about what those labels actually mean, again quite a shame given your many intelligent and caring posts.

It should be noted, by reviewing my postings on this subject, that I have never used any derogatory rhetoric! My comments have been measured, articulate, and civil.

Obviously, 'Wrong", you know that I am a nice and caring person. But I have strong opinions about what school should be about. There are plenty of outside organizations that kids can belong to to satisfy their social, cultural, religious, and self-identity needs. What we seem to teaching our kids is that everyone must have their own identity clubs and organizations during school. Why can't we spend more of the school day focused on educational excellence! Why do our schools need to be social incubators of self-identity. If you have been watching the school committee meetings lately, they are trying to squeeze education into every spare minute of the day. These are my opinions and I am not asking you to agree with them. Does this make me a bigot, racists, or homophobic? The "left" has a tendency to marginalize opinions they differ with by using inflammatory rhetoric in national issues - why should it be any different with local issues.

Not spewing; just pointing out that the science on this issue is not settled. Schools should not be encouraging a lifestyle that is POTENTIALLY harmful to kids. There simply is not enough data to suggest that changing one's gender improves an individual's quality of life. There are plenty of opinions on both sides of this issue; however, nobody can proclaim that they have the answers on this. Until/unless this issue is properly studied; schools should not be promoting the "T" lifestyle.

http://www.sexchangeregret.com
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21364939

There are already transgendered kids at the MVMMS. They need to feel safe. I think the club is great.

The science is settled. As settled as the fact that Global Warming is happening now. If you refuse to believe reputable physicians and scientists and cling to the wakco-a-doodles with mail order degrees tele evangelicals or politicians, you are beyond reason and nothing will ever get through to you.

Whatever your feeling about the cause, it is a fact of life that these students are in out community and entitled to the same protections as all others. Kids who are different based on race, gender, orientation, disability should be able to feel as safe as the majority of white kids going to school in Melrose. No one is trying to force anyone to change their sexual orientation or gender. You fear and hate mongers are trying to frame this as if GSA supporters are trying to force people to do things, the truth is GSA GROUPS are trying TO LEVEL THE FIELD so that those students can come to school and learn just like everyone else. Right now those kids of LGBT are targeting and bullied. By having GSA, we are trying to prevent kids from being further bullied and demonized.

Why do people feel so threatened when others are are simply given the same rights as you have? Are you that insecure in your own self, that every time someone else is treated equally, you feel something is taken away from you?

Remember those old black and white photos in the 60s? You do realize that you racists and homophobes are the equivalent of those angry white mobs surrounding those black students trying to just get an equal education right? All those angry mobs in movies? That is you. Shameful.

Instead of all those letters,why not make it Sexual Orientation and Lifestyle Diversity Alliance? (SOLD Alliance?)It's like all-inclusive and open-ended just in case something new comes up.

I'd agree with the last poster. Make it an all-inclusive club. Also, to the poster before that; just because you say the science is settled doesn't make it so. Do some research on the pre and post surgery suicide rates. It is very scary stuff. These kids should have a safe place and should have access to resources should they need them. However, the school should not be signing off on an issue that is so unsettled.
I understand the Liberal mindset...don't like the message so attack the messenger. I am not dissuaded. The fact is that very reputable researchers are pointing to evidence that suggests surgical transitioning does not work. Resources should be directed at psychological services instead of surgical procedures. Give kids help. The militant liberal agenda in this instance is potentially life threatening to a vulnerable group of kids. I realize that the liberals are not open to differing points of view, but you are not entitled to your own science.

No T, once again you are missing the point. Your focus on the science is irrelevant. No one is seeking your opinion on transgender children or whether you believe in it or not. There are students here and in other communities who are transgender who deserve protection and the ability to go to school feeling safe and supported. Get your focus off yourself and focus on what is right for kids.

Maybe if they had more support like the GSA and less people like No "T" with only their agenda in mind, those results in your selected "science" would be improved.

"...the liberals are not open to differing points of view...". PLEASE don't tell me that you are implying that the conservatives are, PLEASE!

Not a liberal or a conservative; very much an "unenrolled" voter as we are called in MA. All kids deserve to be protected. They deserve to be protected from bullying AND they deserve to be protected from a liberal mindset that is forced down their throat and can lead them to make choices that are potentially harmful.
Also, to "Um" it sounds like you are in agreement that the science needs to be improved. That sounds a lot like you agree with the point that they science is unsettled yet you want to jam this agenda down the throats of 12 and 13 year olds?

No one is jamming any agenda down the throats of students about GBLT, but rather trying to teach acceptance and kindness to all regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Of course given that this is the same administration that allowed a teacher to tell a minority student to "go back to the plantation" and then fired a teacher who refused to separate students of color when ordered to do so by a grossly incompetent & racist administrator, it's more than a little hypocritical--a message not at all lost on students.

All these things are prescribed exercises that the administration is being forced to do in response to having been found guilty by the federal government of civil rights violations. There are no doubt many sincere staff members who have always taught tolerance and behaved kindly, which the kids are also smart enough to know (even if many of their parents are bullying idiots). But it has to be understood that all these assemblies and new programs are being mandated due to the very very bad conduct of some in administration and staff.

Dig deeper into the allegations in the OCR complaint. Have you witnessed the "cry bullies" on college campuses? You know, the group of students that use the term racism as a weapon to attack free speech? Well that is happening right here in Melrose. There is a small group of students that fancy themselves as activists and are using the racism label as a weapon and nobody knows how to deal with it. Well, this same group has moved onto MHS. Recall the forums that were held last month. Well, there were two of them. One went off without a hitch; the other was literally taken over by a small group of students and turned it into a shouting match. Apparently, any view that did not align with the Black Lives Matter platform was shouted down and labelled as racist. There has been a spillover effect where this group is literally running some of the classes that they attend; completely intimidating teachers and other students from discussion. Before you sign onto this bogus OCR complaint, talk to some MHS students in private. You will find the kids are very bright and you will be shocked to learn that the current problems aren't being driven by the administration...instead the problems are being driven by a group of cry-bully students that are mimicking what they see on the college campuses. Do your own research before signing onto something.

What bogus OCR complaint are you talking about? There are two that I know of. Are you talking about the one that resulted from a teacher telling a black student to "go back to the plantation", or the one where a teacher was fired because she refused to separate according to race?

Oddly enough though, I do agree with your assertion that the "Black Lives Matter" crowd does twist the facts to suit their own agenda. When they chant things like "Black lives matter. Kill a cop." they lose me and show themselves for who they really are. That's been happening for years - Al Sharpton, for example, who is a total disgrace. Remember Tawana Brawley?

The OCR complaints (multiple) are anything but "bogus"! They are factually based and entirely valid. The "cry-bully" phenomenon is also real. There are a some agitator students who are taking full unfair advantage of the misdeeds of the adults (administrators, staff, bad parents), inciting as much trouble as they can. These are the same brats claiming "reverse racism" and telling minority students (including those who live in Melrose) they "are privileged" to attend MHS. It's toxic, it's dangerous, and it's all getting worse because those who are supposed to be managing and setting the culture from the top down are bad--self-interested, uncaring, ignorant, many actual bullies themselves, mostly only interested in getting feds off their backs, not in making things better for the right reasons.

"many actual bullies themselves"
Yes, starting with some of the city's own paid and elected officials. Watch the most recent alderman's meeting and see the chief financial officer behave like a thug towards MM. Watch the most recent school committee meeting (or any of them actually) and watch RD behave like the bully that he is towards CKK. Watch both boards sit silently as bystanders and tolerate truly egregious conduct, or worse, join into the bullying. What a mess this city has made for itself!

Agreed. But as reprehensible as the continuing bad behavior by the administration is, what really disgusts me the most is that we - yes, we - are the ones truly responsible for it's continuing, because we have not stepped up and stopped it. And guess what? It's not going to stop until we do, and in fact, it will get worse. Melrose should be ashamed of itself.

Is there any relationship between the cry-bully crowd an the allegations in the OCR complaint? Take a closer look. Ask some students if the complainant is connected to the cry-bully crowd. While everyone was very quick to take the allegations at face value; perhaps there is more investigation and consideration that needs to be done.
Peel the onion back people.

As a 2 year alum of Melrose high, and a current college student it saddens me that I see things like this from the older generation of Melrose. It is no doubt to me that the people who are against the LGBTQ club in mvmms are close minded Melrose high school graduates who stayed in Melrose their whole life and raised their family there, which is why I will not raise my future family in such a place because I know all the close-minded people I graduated with will be doing the same thing and I do not want my child exposed to such negativity. It is almost 2016 and you people are still against clubs like this?? grow up, they're going to happen whether you like it or not and no it is not detrimental to their health or safety, if it was it simply wouldn't be a thing. I cannot imagine being a confused middle schooler questioning their sexuality and having no one to turn to because let me tell you, middle schoolers are ruthless bullies. And to say that there should be "No T" REALLY?? Again if people did not want to do it and it would be bad for their health THEY WOULD'NT DO IT. Trans people are still people with feelings and if someone is trans who are we to say they shouldn't have a safe haven? The whole point of the club is to make sure no one feels left out. I pity you people who sit behind their computers and talk **** about high schoolers and middle schoolers, seriously grow up.

Dig Deeper
Is there any relationship between the cry-bully crowd an the allegations in the OCR complaint? Take a closer look. Ask some students if the complainant is connected to the cry-bully crowd. While everyone was very quick to take the allegations at face value; perhaps there is more investigation and consideration that needs to be done.
Peel the onion back people.

You are very obviously an administrative shill. The OCR complaints are valid to the core and made by a caring individuals who know just exactly how wrong the administration is and was. Shame on you! Sure peel back the onion and look in the mirror!

MFD is the big offender on this string with his anti-LGBT views. Not an MHS grad. I'm guessing none of the rest of them are either. However, as a parent of several MHS grads I can tell you that in my years as a parent I never saw any of this type of behavior from my children or their friends...my guess is you are either lying about your self, or the City will be better off without you...because you sound like a whiny trouble starting flame thrower. Bon Voyage...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

MHS Alum is wrong
However, as a parent of several MHS grads I can tell you that in my years as a parent I never saw any of this type of behavior from my children or their friends...my guess is you are either lying about your self, or the City will be better off without you...because you sound like a whiny trouble starting flame thrower. Bon Voyage...don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Both you and MHS alum could be speaking the truth. People's experiences are not mutually exclusive. Great that you haven't see it, but just because you never saw it in your kids or friends does not mean it doesn't exist. Usually, the person who is different has a very different experience than observers. You can be white and honestly say you have never seen racism, but you are really not the one who is targeted so you would not necessarily know. Just because a person has never been unkind to you does not mean that they aren't mean to others. That is what wrongdoers look for - opportunities to say or do horrible things while others aren't looking so they have plausible deniability.

Also, the city shill talking about cry-bullies and alleging the OCR finding is groundless has reached a new low, even for this on line anonymous board. There was a finding, That means an investigation was done, and it was determined that the comment was made, and that the administrators were wrong. You are obviously privileged because you have no clue how hard it is for people are are targeted to speak up when bullied, harder still when they live in Melrose - a place for hate I guess given the absolutely disgusting vitriol above.

Your point about MFD

Your point about MFD is absolutely correct. His views and those of many on this Board on racism, gender and sexual orientation are like what those groups with the white hats espouse.

Truly horrifying. What a sad time for Melrose.

Lying to myself about what? And what type of behavior? How am I starting problems by sticking up for people who should be stood up for? My guess is that you're one of the close minded people I am talking about and if that means leaving people like you behind then I would be happy to "let the door hit me on the way out" also not a whiny trouble starting flame thrower?? I was a good kid in high school and I still am now, I am not saying all people who graduate from MHS are bad people my friends from home are the best people in my life, but you can't even deny there are some bad eggs. If you were offended by my comment then that means there was something that you could relate to. As someone who has gone to both mvmms and MHS I am pretty sure I know better than you the type of mean and homophobic things that are said everyday so these clubs are vital to many people. My guess is that your children didn't tell you much that was going on, sugar coated things, or contributed to the homophobic behavior.

Melrose High Alum;I understand that you want to leave and I understand that you confuse opinions that are different than yours as being closed minded. We don't need any more militant liberal thinking in this city. I wish you well and you will be more than welcome back into Melrose when you grow up a bit. Perhaps once you have kids of your own you come to realize that it is a big world with many different views. Once you realize that social agendas and science are two different things, you are more than welcome to come back.
We all recognize that kids with gender confusion need help; however, your view of what is helpful (according to some accomplished scientists) may actually be harmful. If you were being honest with yourself you'd recognize that at the very least more study is warranted before taking a firm stance on this. However, from you generation it is easier to stomp your feet and call for a protest. See you back here in few years!

No T, that was an incredibly patronizing, pompous and pathetic post that you directed to MHS alum. You must be projecting because those very same sentiments of immaturity and close mindedness are applicable to you based on your post. Your post makes it apparent that you are the one trying to impose your militant conservative agenda on others while posing as some all knowing authority on all topics. MHS alum does not need or want your permission to leave or stay. You don't run Melrose and neither do others of your type. Melrose is still in America despite the fact that you seem to make claim to be the one who allows people in and out. As to the science, do you not consider psychiatry and psychology as science? Your presumable focus on physical treatments (surgery, hormones) only misses what is being addressed by groups like GSA. You are letting your agenda blind you to what many would consider the best part of life - people connecting with and supporting each other through tough times and celebrating accomplishments with others. I won't tell you to leave Melrose because unlike you, I think there is room for all of us in Melrose. Your posts about this matter speaks volumes about your character as well as your agenda and your ignorance. You refuse to answer the questions posed to you above, yet tell others that they are close minded.

I agree with the GSA term in the previous post. Let's go with that as it covers everybody and does not assert a particular agenda; nor does it lead kids down a potentially harmful path.

No "T"
Melrose High Alum;I understand that you want to leave and I understand that you confuse opinions that are different than yours as being closed minded. We don't need any more militant liberal thinking in this city. I wish you well and you will be more than welcome back into Melrose when you grow up a bit. Perhaps once you have kids of your own you come to realize that it is a big world with many different views. Once you realize that social agendas and science are two different things, you are more than welcome to come back.
We all recognize that kids with gender confusion need help; however, your view of what is helpful (according to some accomplished scientists) may actually be harmful. If you were being honest with yourself you'd recognize that at the very least more study is warranted before taking a firm stance on this. However, from you generation it is easier to stomp your feet and call for a protest. See you back here in few years!

I never post on this message board, because the opinions of the posters are so far from what is really happening in Melrose, but I would hate to think that a gay or transgendered student could read this string and think that the adults of Melrose think this way.

T, your patronizing attempt to speak for all 'grownups' doesn't include me, even though I am probably from your generation, and I would like to tell Melrose High Alum and other kids that I fully support the club and any efforts make kids feel safe and accepted - especially in middle school. Sadly, there are still people that feel the way No T has but I am hoping he is in the minority in our town as most of my friends are supportive of the LBGT parents and kids in this town.

As for constantly referring to social agendas versus "science", the website "No T" recommends is one person's opinion, supported and distributed by many conservative groups - talk about having a social agenda.

If you are interested in recent research on the issue, why don't you read this recently published study in the journal Pediatrics, entitled "Young Adult Psychological Outcome After Puberty Suppression and Gender Reassignment"

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/09/02/peds.2013-2958.abstract

The conclusions from the article are: CONCLUSIONS: A clinical protocol of a multidisciplinary team with mental health professionals, physicians, and surgeons, including puberty suppression, followed by cross-sex hormones and gender reassignment surgery, provides gender dysphoric youth who seek gender reassignment from early puberty on, the opportunity to develop into well-functioning young adults.

Finally, I'd like to say that an afterschool club is not 'forcing or "promoting' anything other than letting kids who already feel a certain way, which is different from the majority of the kids they go to school with, understand that they are not alone in this world and that they have some support in a very tough middle school setting. Hate to tell you "T", that despite your scorn and distain over the whole idea, there are already gay and transgendered kids at the Middle School and High School (and elementary schools!), and anything that the schools, parents, and community can do to make them feel accepted should be welcome in our town. Because they ARE welcome in our town.

Thanks for sharing the link "Yes T." Did you read the full pdf report that was included in thelink. The top of page 8 of the report makes the following two observations: "This finding warrants further study of the specific concerns of young transmen." and "Despite promising findings, there were various limitations..."
One of the limitations of the report was none of the men studied had transitioned. I'm taking no opinion on the report; other than to say that I agree that it warrants further study...something that has been said numerous times above. While I realize you are quick to paint me as a heathen; I am actually expressing this out of concern for youth that may be getting the exact wrong type of encouragement. As your study indicates, further study is warranted; thus this is not something that a public middle school should be advocating. Stick with GSA, it covers everyone.

Could one of the people who keep mentioning this "gay agenda" actually define it? What actually is this agenda that you keep talking about? Because if you can't define it, stop using it as a "valid" point.

Aside from your post; the post by Village Voice is the only other reference to a gay agenda.
If you were referring to my posts; the agenda I referred to the agenda from the Liberal left (and by that I mean main stream media); that is trying to force "T" on us without the science to support whether it is a healthy and safe lifestyle. I have no issue with what Bruce Jenner or any other adult chooses to to with their life or their bodies. I do take issue with "T" being promoted to middle schoolers. It is a distinct issue from "LGB."

Figured I should have divulged that I am a racist, homophobic, biggot. I am a hardcore republican, and believe that any form of sexuality, other than my own, is malarkey. #Trump2016 #Homophobe #T

Lol "No T" like how you said their gender confusion, you're definitely one of those people who believe that being gay or trans is a choice and they can just attend therapy to "fix it." It's 2015, grow up.

But wait cont'd
Your point about MFD is absolutely correct. His views and those of many on this Board on racism, gender and sexual orientation are like what those groups with the white hats espouse.

Truly horrifying. What a sad time for Melrose.

I think you mean WHITE HOODS, sweetie.

MHS Alum
Lol "No T" like how you said their gender confusion, you're definitely one of those people who believe that being gay or trans is a choice and they can just attend therapy to "fix it." It's 2015, grow up.

Yeah, it's 2015. Now Google Bruce Jenner, Matt Kroc and testosterone/steroid abuse and its exacerbation of autogynophilia. Throw in Ray Blanchard for the advanced students.

And notice how many, like Jenner and Kroc, have expressed the desire to keep and continue to use their, uh, man parts.

But it's a short-term concern; the appearance of "Custom Children" as a result of genetic testing and editing, absent governmental control, will happen in the foreseeable future. The Chinese are already at it.

http://www.nature.com/news/chinese-scientists-genetically-modify-human-embryos-1.17378

@Real Facts... if being gay or trans is a choice, tell me abut the moment you decided to become straight...

Grow up. This is 2015. It's non of your business what people want to do with their "parts", as you said. Homophobe.

WTF cave did you all just crawl out of? The insanely ignorant posters here make it VERY obvious as to why a club like this is necessary. I guarantee that many of the kids that formed this club are YOUR children or grandchildren. 1950 called and they want their "values" back.

Is This for Real?,MFD,The Village Voice,No "T"...how about you show even a fraction of the courage that these CHILDREN who attend this club show by backing up your bull**** with your actual names?

As 2016 is only days away, a lot has happened safe to say. We are NOT out to change your views, but only to update them and educate you a little bit. It is hard to keep up with all of the changes, but at least hear out the new generations that are turning the tables around on older generations.

As a student at MHS, it has been a major discussion lately about racism, sexual, and gender identity. There are GSA clubs in both schools made up of no more than 10-15 students. The goal is to raise awareness of human beings wanting nothing more than to be themselves and be happy. Whether that is liking someone of the same gender, or not feeling happy with their birth assigned gender. The student body as a whole is very accepting, especially since there are members of the LGBT+ community within them.

But it is difficult being a student with an administration that doesn't play in our favor. They only care about their conservative views rather than their students best interest. Waiting over a year to fire a racist teacher, and firing a teacher who would not cooperate with administration's old fashion catholic school ways? Seriously? Student's are raising their voices, and their voices matter. I mean, you're still reading this!

To the people who are "anti-T": It is not your decision if this doesn't affect you. Have a conversation with a man who wants to be a woman (and vice versa). They're 9 times out of 10 in a deep depression & have severe body dysmorphia because they live in a world so unaccepting of an identity they want to be. Does that stop them? NO. Because they will do anything to be happy, and it isn't your decision. When they take their doses of E or T, there are obviously health risks (as there is with everything). Some people can't even fully transition because they can't handle the opposing hormone. But they can still dress the way they dress, and bind their breasts or tuck their penises. They go this far because they want to be happy & their true selves! It is so easy for you to judge because you have no idea what it is like to be so unhappy living in someone elses body.

MHS Student, great sentiments all around, with the exception of the characterization of the horrible administration as "conservative". That is not the problem with them. Corrupt is the word you want.

Thank you, "MHS Student" for your thoughtful and articulate words. Your compassion and maturity far exceed that of most of the administration. Sadly they also far exceed that of so many of the "adults" in our community, those who would support (as in all those "Yes" sheeple) administrators and a school committee (mayor) who brazenly circled around to protect racism and all manner of illegal doings. Education and compassion is vastly needed here, and your intelligent, kind remarks point the way to a better Melrose.

I deeply appreciate your posting, MHS student, on this topic! What I found most disturbing about the Melrose Patch article about this club was the fact that one of the reasons for the club was that these students needed a "safe space" to gather. If that is true - then we have some serious problems with the current school administration in allowing this situation to fester.

1 2