Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Committees Independence

In 1647m the Massachusetts Bay Colony mandated that every town within its jurisdiction establish a public school. Committees sprang up to run the institutions, and in the 1820s the state of Massachusetts made the committees independent of local governments, establishing the model for the autonomous school districts that exist throughout the country today. (Wikipedia)
(Why is a Mayor on a school committee ?)

Re: School Committees Independence

Because most of the residents of Melrose were sleep-walking at the time of the vote. It was by far, the worse decision made by the electorate to date.

It did not go unnoticed that when Chair K Thorpe asked for nominations, Mayor Dolan immediately piped up, nominating by far, the worst possible candidate for SC Chair: Margaret Driscoll. But again, Dolan's intent is to ensure a SC chair that he can control and manipulate, and one who is as interested as him in eliminating public comment, deliberation, participation and transparency.

MFD
Because most of the residents of Melrose were sleep-walking at the time of the vote. It was by far, the worse decision made by the electorate to date.

I will admit that I didn't even know this was voted on. I am kicking myself now. Of course the mayor should not be on the school committee.