Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most recent email from Middle School

It seems as if every week we receive a new message from the Middle Scool about a new issue. The one tonight just seems to add to the already uncomfortable community this school is living in. What is happening here and how can this city fix it????

Re: Most recent email from Middle School

A message from MELROSE MIDDLE SCHOOL

Dear Parents and Guardians,

I write to you tonight because I am aware that some students had been discussing rumors and some of your children may have come home discussing an alleged incident with a staff member. Recently we had a report of an allegation about inappropriate conduct by a staff member of a non-sexual and non-discriminatory manner. We take any such allegation very seriously and have taken interim measures to ensure student safety.

We are conducting a thorough investigation and with such matters it is always important to maintain both student and staff confidentiality. We do not want to rush to judgement and risk inadvertently causing harm to any member of our school community. At this time, this is personnel matter and no further information will be provided. I ask that you remind your children not to jump to conclusions or ​ to discuss matters for which rumors may only spread further.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Brent Conway
MVMMS Principal

Melrose Public Schools

the wording sounds vaguely familiar
the OCR staff assigned to MPS has read this email sent from Conway
can't make these things up
can't hide any longer

same old same old
the wording sounds vaguely familiar
the OCR staff assigned to MPS has read this email sent from Conway
can't make these things up
can't hide any longer

It should sound familiar since it is the same PR firm writing them.

Another case to bungle?

I write to you tonight because I am aware that some students had been discussing rumors and some of your children may have come home discussing an alleged incident with a staff member. Recently we had a report of an allegation about inappropriate conduct by a staff member of a non-sexual and non-discriminatory manner. We take any such allegation very seriously and have taken interim measures to ensure student safety.

We are conducting a thorough investigation and with such matters it is always important to maintain both student and staff confidentiality. We do not want to rush to judgement and risk inadvertently causing harm to any member of our school community. At this time, this is personnel matter and no further information will be provided. I ask that you remind your children not to jump to conclusions or ​ to discuss matters for which rumors may only spread further.

Brent Conway
MVMMS Principal

Melrose Public Schools

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Cough. Cough. Sure is Smokey in here.

So what were the allegations?

I miss t brow

Supposedly an 8th-g science teacher (one known as being an unstable nutjob of longstanding, and an incredibly incompetent teacher) got physical in a confrontation with a METCO student.

Regardless of whether this is what happened, the bottom line is that there is an abysmal lack of leadership. What substitutes for actual leadership and management (or any HR skills whatsoever) is tyrannical, incompetent and abusive conduct.

CT and her "team" set the stage for this volatile and awful environment. They bear the ultimate responsibility, as does the school committee for allowing this fiasco to continue. One can only imagine what this newest round will cost in all ways.

It sounded like physical contact was going to be the problem from the email. I liked how they pointed out that it wasn't sexual or discriminatory.

Unfortunately if it's a black METCO student and the teacher is a different race, that is going to add to it. If the admin doesn't handle it correctly, the student can file a complaint and quite a file is being built on this city.
If both the student and teacher are the same race, it still needs to be handled correctly of course.

Why is Cyndy Taymore scheduled for a raise this year? Are the principals too?

Yes, Cyndy is slated for a $7000 raise or something to that effect. All of the administrators will be expecting their handout, also, regardless of their competence or lack thereof. All talk of a "deficit" is bunk designed to punish and intimidate the parents and make the community regret voting against the override, so that they can try to push another one through in Nov. Believe it at your own peril. There is virtually nothing credible that these administrators and politicans are putting out there (whatever might have grains of truth is tainted by the vast amount they are hiding).

To demonstrate the shear corruption and lack of transparency of these raises, when CKK was sitting on the committee and asked to see the raises and justifications , she was turned down because of confidentiality. She was not backed up by committee members. Of course we all know now that 18% of our teachers were rated as "needs improvement"! Is this a sign that our admin staff are doing a great job and deserve a raise? I think not! But in the world where Ms. Dricoll lives (among the angels) and her committee - performance has nothing to so with getting raises! You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours. Our kids don't matter to this group nor how we are going to get the money to pay for their foolishness.

Another case to bungle?

" At this time, this is personnel matter and no further information will be provided. I ask that you remind your children not to jump to conclusions or ​to discuss matters for which rumors may only spread further."

This email went out to all parents about an "alleged incident (notice it is always an "alleged incident" or a "rumor" when a teacher or administrator is the aggressor and the victim and witnesses are children).

Also notice that parents and children are warned not to talk about it.

Also notice that parents and students who may have witnessed the incident have not been asked to come forward or been provided with a name, number or e-mail for contacting the investigator. And why is that? There is another cover-up in the making where the child will most likely be the victim of intimidation and they will hope the whole thing will go away before it blows up. I'm sure City solicitor Van Campen is cooking something up right now that will backfire, just like the other two cases that ended up at OCR because of illegal intimidation, retaliation and plain neglect.

Once again, all the wrong moves being made. You think they would have learned after two OCR investigations not to go this route.

The prior poster demonstrates everything that is wrong with the moronic liberal plague that is infecting Melrose.

1. The poster is a moron.
2. If the poster cannot understand that any investigation will use the term “alleged” prior to the investigation being completed; the poster should see #1 above.
3. There was no warning; simply asking parents to talk to their children about this. This is what the school SHOULD DO. It is the role of parents to speak to children in these situations, not administrators.
4. The letter states that a thorough investigation will take place. Is the poster’s preferred method of investigation to send a broadcast email asking for witnesses? What a moron.

Readers need to remember that this is Melrose messages. Folks on this board have the luxury taking the opposite side of the city and criticizing regardless of what happens. The fact is this was a quick response by the city to get the word out. An investigation now needs to take place, the privacy of all involved requires that. Lobbing grenades without knowing anything just proves what a complete, liberal moron the prior poster is.

So "Moron" posts about "moronic liberal plague" and "lobbing grenades" but doesn't see the blatant hypocrisy in such gross postings. It's no wonder that Taymore and School Committee are still in power with this kind of bully backing them.

Yep..."Moron" appears to be a "Moron" - I see no evil hear no evil, speak no evil - therefore, I am a moron!

There it is the predictable MM response, if you don't agree with them or you side with the administration you are a "bully". So let me get this straight, last year the school system did not give you enough info and this year you are getting too much info? Priceless.

When is that COALITION meeting again...

Nothing constructive EVER comes out of this site. Just criticize over and over again, and not once offer some sort of positive plan for what should be done.

Like in this case. What exactly to the posters want to have done differently? Do they want the principal to spill the beans on everything that happened, potentially risking someone's professional reputation, or do you want them to stay quiet, and be accused of some sort of mass conspiracy coverup?

From my understanding the issue at hand actually isn't even a big deal. But I am sure that will not stop this board from citing it for the next decade or so as some colossal failure on the part of the administration.

From my understanding the issue at hand actually isn't even a big deal. But I am sure that will not stop this board from citing it for the next decade or so as some colossal failure on the part of the administration.[/quote]

Well, no, I am sure that your "understanding" is that everything is fine and not a "big deal", and the schools are always acting appropriately. I am sure that none of the other scandals have been a "big deal" to you either. That is what you have to "understand" to keep your idyllic fantasy alive.
If you cannot understand why there are people in our city (not just on MM either) who are unwilling to give the schools the benefit of the doubt at this point, you are really missing something, or are just unwilling to accept what has gone on. The schools have created the distrust that people feel. They have handled things so poorly in the past, and now there are people who are always going to assume they are handling things improperly again.
Think for a moment how you feel when someone has broken your trust time and time again. When yet another problem occurs, how much do you trust that person to do the right thing and be forthcoming with the truth? It is the same thing here.
The schools have done it to themselves. They have lost the right to have the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope they are handling this issue appropriately, and maybe they can start to rebuild trust. They haven't even begun to earn it back yet.

Head in Sand
From my understanding the issue at hand actually isn't even a big deal. But I am sure that will not stop this board from citing it for the next decade or so as some colossal failure on the part of the administration.

Well, no, I am sure that your "understanding" is that everything is fine and not a "big deal", and the schools are always acting appropriately. I am sure that none of the other scandals have been a "big deal" to you either. That is what you have to "understand" to keep your idyllic fantasy alive.
If you cannot understand why there are people in our city (not just on MM either) who are unwilling to give the schools the benefit of the doubt at this point, you are really missing something, or are just unwilling to accept what has gone on. The schools have created the distrust that people feel. They have handled things so poorly in the past, and now there are people who are always going to assume they are handling things improperly again.
Think for a moment how you feel when someone has broken your trust time and time again. When yet another problem occurs, how much do you trust that person to do the right thing and be forthcoming with the truth? It is the same thing here.
The schools have done it to themselves. They have lost the right to have the benefit of the doubt. Let's hope they are handling this issue appropriately, and maybe they can start to rebuild trust. They haven't even begun to earn it back yet.

[/quote]

Okay, yes, you repeated the problems again.

To get back to my point:

Like in this case. What exactly to the posters want to have done differently? Do they want the principal to spill the beans on everything that happened, potentially risking someone's professional reputation, or do you want them to stay quiet, and be accused of some sort of mass conspiracy coverup?

Okay, "Pudwid," "Moron," "Vuvu," "Clown Patrol," Ann and Don, Chris, Margaret, Kristin, Ed, Diane, MaryBeth, Peter, Gail, Brigit, Patrick, Mike, RvC, JP, Christina & Gabe, Martha and Jim, Melissa, Lisa, Jen and Dave, Amy and Marty, Jen and William, Sarah and Brian, Kim and Dave, Ani and Jeff, Elizabeth, Edith, Steve, Cheryl, Michelle, Sharon, Linda, and all the other self-serving "hater"-mongerers that Rob and his cabal are using to push their vicious and arrogant fiction. They demand unconditional trust and deserve none of it. They have squandered the generosity, trust and good will of this community too many times.

Colleen Murphy took you down in one breathtaking, elegant swoop. Have at it if you must, but you are impotent in the face of such dignified and eloquent expression of the truth.

Guilfoil can't wipe away such incontrovertible truth and integrity, but maybe with another $10 grand they can try....

You still haven't answered my question. I will try for the third time.

To get back to my point:

Like in this case. What exactly to the posters want to have done differently? Do they want the principal to spill the beans on everything that happened, potentially risking someone's professional reputation, or do you want them to stay quiet, and be accused of some sort of mass conspiracy cover-up?

For starters, the administration could have demonstrated some competent leadership so that the public wasn't seeing an endless parade of shameful actions and news items, this latest just another case of the principal fobbing off his role (or lack thereof) "I wasn't in the building..." etc. (FYI, he typically leaves at 3:30 and seems never to be in the building when there's a problem. That was his excuse when there were 12 assaults during the "Kick a Ginger Day"--that he wasn't in the building....) The asst. supers never seem to be around, either, along with the AD, who arrives at 10:45 and leaves at 11 (or so the pattern seems). The teacher being reported in this case is another one with a long history of volatile behavior (and gross incompetence), as hundreds of parents and students could attest to.

How about the administration starting by Being In The Building? Then how about demonstrating some humility in the face of chronic mismanagement? How about a shred of humility for having been part of the "team" that created (according to the OCR Findings) a racially hostile environment with failed/fraudulent "investigations" and discriminatory actions and policies? How about cutting it out with all the "memos" and letters blaming (and shaming) the students for "inappropriate" behavior and taking some responsibility for gross administrative inappropriateness and illegal conduct? Maybe that would be a first step in correcting the tinderkeg environment before anything worse than an out-of-control teacher slapping an out-of-control teen?

Another case to bungle?

Brent Conway
MVMMS Principal

Melrose Public Schools

Responding to "Parent" and "Pudwid"

The only problem I have with Conway's email is that it is clearly a weak attempt at damage control. It's a disingenuous piece of garbage touting concern for the students and staff. Parents can discuss anything they feel is important with their children and don't need to be lectured by the likes of Brent Conway. The first thing a parent is going to ask their child is what the heck went on!!!

And as far as the folks that post here Parent and Pudwid....the previous poster hit the nail on the head. People have lost faith in the school committee, the superintendent and the mayor due to the horrendous way they've handled all the ugly, shameful and preventable issues in this community not just recently but over the past couple of years. The school administration doesn't deserve the benefit of any doubt unless or until they begin to handle these types of crisis's with the level of seriousness and transparency they merit. That's not to say that confidentiality is not required; however, Conway could have left off the finger wagging tsk tsking telling parents not to speak to their children about it.

MelroseMessages folks have offered solutions Parent and Pudwid. It's called getting rid of Taymore. That's a start. After all that's gone on in the past year don't you think Taymore should be fired? [:-?] If you don't agree I'll make a short list.

This nonsense that is happening in Melrose is not a SC issue. This is a national issue that has been festering on college campuses across the country and bubbling up in liberal hotbeds like MA. There is a competition by the BLM movement as to who can muster the greatest amount of faux outrage over trivial issues.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/04/calls_intensify_for_boston_public_schools_race_investigation

Blaming this on the SC or the superintendent is merely an attempt by the Melrosemessages crowd to hijack another issue to serve their never-ending quest to hurt the students in Melrose. It has ramped up significantly over the last couple months since their hero stepped down from the SC. It pains the MM crowd greatly to see positive things happen in the district. I realize how much it hurts to see thoughtful parents publicly sign an open letter to Melrose supporting the district while the parents that selected private schools write checks for a sub-par education. I know that the MM crowd particularly hates the fact that the Superintendent was recently commended by her peers and it absolutely drives the private school parents crazy to see MHS grads going to Ivy and NESCAC schools.
Keep posting out here. While it will continue to be as ineffective as it ever was, at least it makes you feel good.

Chill
This nonsense that is happening in Melrose is not a SC issue. This is a national issue that has been festering on college campuses across the country and bubbling up in liberal hotbeds like MA. There is a competition by the BLM movement as to who can muster the greatest amount of faux outrage over trivial issues.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/04/calls_intensify_for_boston_public_schools_race_investigation

Blaming this on the SC or the superintendent is merely an attempt by the Melrosemessages crowd to hijack another issue to serve their never-ending quest to hurt the students in Melrose. It has ramped up significantly over the last couple months since their hero stepped down from the SC. It pains the MM crowd greatly to see positive things happen in the district. I realize how much it hurts to see thoughtful parents publicly sign an open letter to Melrose supporting the district while the parents that selected private schools write checks for a sub-par education. I know that the MM crowd particularly hates the fact that the Superintendent was recently commended by her peers and it absolutely drives the private school parents crazy to see MHS grads going to Ivy and NESCAC schools.
Keep posting out here. While it will continue to be as ineffective as it ever was, at least it makes you feel good.

Could you please post how many MHS students have been accepted to IVY schools and which schools they are?

"Could you please post how many MHS students have been accepted to IVY schools and which schools they are?"

"Chill": Since you appear to have so much inside information (and write just like Vuvu), perhaps you could detail how many of this year's seniors were rejected from the state schools (there were quite a few, unfortunately). How may who applied to the most selective schools were rejected? That is more telling than how many (a couple, give or take depending on definition--which doesn't compare well with other districts of similar demographic) were accepted, because that reveals the poor guidance advice many are receiving. Naturally some students will do their own thing regardless of informed advice, but others actually believe themselves qualified based on grade inflation (aided by a lot of cheating), and the ridiculously inflated views of many parents. Instead of making choices better suited to the students, many are choosing schools way beyond what any would ever consider reasonable "reach" schools, which does no one any good, least of all the students who end up feeling demoralized.

Do tell us how many of last year's graduates were back at home before the first semester ended (considerably more than the school committee or super would admit, that's for sure!).

Also, please enumerate how many of last year's seniors had to take remedial math and writing classes upon entering college when it was discovered that their inflated transcripts grossly misrepresented their skills.

Maybe you could list all those hard-working excellent students who chose good (but not necessarily the most selective) schools and graduated, including perhaps those who are now pursuing graduate degrees or are in meaningful jobs.

All of these things would provide honest reflections of how well or poorly our school system is preparing students for life. These are not the things that these obnoxious posters care about. "Chill" (VUVU) and all the others only wave their obnoxious Red Raider pom-poms in our faces about the obvious handful of Ivy-attenders, who may well have succeeded IN SPITE OF a generally poor or at best mediocre school system. (Look into the last few Ivy-attenders from MHS and it isn't necessarily such a pretty picture how some are doing.) Simultaneously (and predictably) these posters toss in their tired stinkbombs about "buyer's remorse" for those choosing private schools, as if that is even relevant, let alone valid.

HAHAHAHAHA. There were a couple instances a few years ago where no MHS students went onto Ivy schools and this site used that to slam the district. Now that the top students are getting into the Ivy Leagues the story changes. Love it. Beyond Ivy, there many kids getting into Nescac, which can be nearly as difficult to get accepted.
I can't tell you about the MHS grads but I can tell you that countless recent grads of MC, AP and BF have decided to not attend college. Imagine that...being one of those parents that spend all that money to go to one of those schools as you come out here and criticize the district only to have your cherub tell you he/she doesn't want to go to college! It is made even worse when you see your child's MHS peers post on facebook about getting into Harvard and Brown!
Regarding recent college grads...I really don't know where you get your information, but MHS grads are flourishing. There are kids getting killer jobs with investment banks, others entering Medical school, some continuing for other graduate studies and a handful have significant positions with the armed forces.
Sorry, I know these facts don't fit with your agenda, but in the real world, MHS grads are doing great.

Chill

Without question this is one of the most singularly ignorant and delusional posts I have ever read on this board. Never ending quest to hurt the students in Melrose? WTF is wrong with you?

Chill
HAHAHAHAHA. There were a couple instances a few years ago where no MHS students went onto Ivy schools and this site used that to slam the district. Now that the top students are getting into the Ivy Leagues the story changes. Love it. Beyond Ivy, there many kids getting into Nescac, which can be nearly as difficult to get accepted.
I can't tell you about the MHS grads but I can tell you that countless recent grads of MC, AP and BF have decided to not attend college. Imagine that...being one of those parents that spend all that money to go to one of those schools as you come out here and criticize the district only to have your cherub tell you he/she doesn't want to go to college! It is made even worse when you see your child's MHS peers post on facebook about getting into Harvard and Brown!
Regarding recent college grads...I really don't know where you get your information, but MHS grads are flourishing. There are kids getting killer jobs with investment banks, others entering Medical school, some continuing for other graduate studies and a handful have significant positions with the armed forces.
Sorry, I know these facts don't fit with your agenda, but in the real world, MHS grads are doing great.

You are adding nothing of substance to this conversation. You complain that people on this board don't know what you "know", but then you make the same type of unsubstantiated statements. As far as I can tell, neither side has any "real facts" to back up what they are saying. Even if both sides started using stats, the other would claim the stats were manipulated.
I do see that you (Chill) seem to have a very large chip on your shoulder regarding private school (I am guessing it isn't really the real private schools (like Philips Academy, Winsor, Belmont Hill, Roxbury Latin and the like) that bother you- it would be hard to argue that the education at those schools isn't superior to what you get in Melrose. You just seem to hate the Catholic Schools). Not sure why the venom. I could care less who sends their kids to outside schools, charter schools, whatever. I do my thing, they do theirs. You seem very happy with MPS, and I think that is swell. It baffles me that you have so much vitriol for people who haven't had the same great experience as you. I don't think this conversation on here is really "for" you. The people on this thread seem to be rallying around some shared concerns and problems. Why would you even care to participate if you do not share the same issues?

What Facts? Chill's post seems unnecessarily hostile to me too. Someone never got over their friends going to Catholic HS or someone feels inferior bacause they sent their child to MPS.

It's not a competition. Catholic schools have been around for a long time and the reasons people choose them vary. Some families appreciate the religious aspect of it which Chill seems to be overlooking. Some like the discipline, uniforms, priests, nuns, smaller classes, observance of the religion, etc. Some people believe in same sex education. It doesn't really matter.

Focusing on Ivy league acceptances is not the right evaluator unless there is some astounding number of them. There are always a couple of kids getting in at most schools that have a reasonable demographic. It's usually the same small group of kids that get into a bunch of good schools.

Not getting accepted at state schools is a much bigger issue. I hope that is exaggerated.

"Not getting accepted at state schools is a much bigger issue. I hope that is exaggerated."

No, not exaggerated. Ask around. It's a real deal this year, sadly. There are a bunch of the top-tier MHS grads who applied to UMass and didn't get in, much to the shock of their families.

parent
You still haven't answered my question. I will try for the third time.To get back to my point:
Like in this case. What exactly to the posters want to have done differently? Do they want the principal to spill the beans on everything that happened, potentially risking someone's professional reputation, or do you want them to stay quiet, and be accused of some sort of mass conspiracy cover-up?

Posted on November 25, 2015 by Brent Conway

Last Friday, we had an incident involving unacceptable behavior and poor judgement by a group of seventh graders. They chose to imitate an episode of South Park, called Kick a Ginger, in which they target red heads. This incident was mainly confined to the seventh grade, did not involve the entire seventh grade, and for the most part did not involve grades six and eight. We are outraged by the behavior and poor decisions made by a group of students and we are concerned for both the victims and the aggressors for the impact that this will have them. And we are incredibly disappointed.

This statement was released almost immediately after the alleged ginger incident, certainly before any full investigation was undertaken.
As you can see, it is not deemed an "alleged incident" when children are the aggressors.
And when is the last time you saw "outrage" and "incredible disappointment" about the behavior of teachers, top administrators and city legal counsel who were the aggressors in the most recent OCR cases, and certainly, many other acts of harassment against children and parents who have filed legitimate complaints with the superintendent's office.

If you are going to alarm parents about actions being taken to protect the children, you may want to give a little more detail.

While off topic, before this turns into a Umass slamfest, I suggest some go onto collegeboard.org and brush up on the entrance statistics for Umass. The entrance requirements for Umass today are much higher than 10, 20 or 30 years ago when many of us went there. It is now a very hard school to get into. It is not the Zoomass of old.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/specials/2013/04/20/would-umass-accept-you-today-don-sure/oUmirQvKu4kTt981SwNfXM/story.html