Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maribeth Darwin's Feigned Ignorance

Re-posting because her letter is not Colleen Murphy's letter

Your pretend wide eyed please-explain to me act is reprehensible because I know you're not that stupid. It's dishonest.

Maybe you didn't go to college because if you did, you would realize that college is not 4 additional years of childhood. Ask some college grads.

It's nice that you want your children to be high school grads only but it's tough to get jobs today without additional training past high school. You were too narrow minded to mention vocational education but that is the one place where a significant career can be started directly after high school. I know that it's not your beloved mediocre MHS but vocational schools train students for work.

You could have said that the 2 year college students were attempting to get job specific training but you know as well as I do that many of these students are just trying to catch up after 4 years of Melrose high school.

Beyond reprehensible is your support of the handling of that racist teacher. People should just get over it? Really? Have you been a victim of discrimination? Do you have any idea how that feels?

It may be 2 years later but it's 2 years later because the superintendent that you support tried to hide the situation and it took a federal investigation for the facts to surface incontrovertibly so apologists such as yourself cannot dispute them.

Perhaps you are having difficulty realizing that cover-ups such as this and the misinformation put forth daily by your superintendent, have seriously diminished the public trust. At least for thinking people.

Do you understand now, fake Pollyanna? You just got dragged for filth.

Re: Maribeth Darwin's Feigned Ignorance

Maribeth Darwin helped push the 26% Dolan raise debacle and was part of the Yes Override group writing "Pro-Override" letters to the Free Press. If she is happy living on Meadowview Road and with the education her sons get in the MPS, good for her. But the timing of her spin and her motivation for the CT support essay is suspect.

Darwin's Evolution
Maribeth Darwin helped push the 26% Dolan raise debacle and was part of the Yes Override group writing "Pro-Override" letters to the Free Press. If she is happy living on Meadowview Road and with the education her sons get in the MPS, good for her. But the timing of her spin and her motivation for the CT support essay is suspect.

Disgusted but not surprised that she backed the mayor's raise. Was he in danger of leaving? She probably supported his getting on the SC too.
Maybe the Darwin family has enough money to pay for a 4th tier or unrated college but many students could use the help of merit scholarships. And want to go to a reasonable school. Declining SAT scores aren't going to get them there. Lower rates for 4 year college matriculation? Who cares? Childhood is over. She is contemptuous of the average person's family.
The worst though is her disdain for the people who are upset that they live in a community where the superintendent hides and protects racist behavior. She is why people point out white privilege. Only an entitled dolt would make such a statement. Easy for her to say but she cannot fathom being on the receiving end. Deplorable.

Please don't tell me that Maribeth Darwin supported the Melrose YMCA when they tried to hide their knowledge of that pedophile? That guy had videos that he made himself of what he'd done to those girls and yet there were people trying to exonerate the YMCA although the organization had been warned both before and during his employment. Was that finger pointing too?
Seems in line with her current reasoning. Bad behavior can take place but it's too negative to talk about, find a cause for or try to stop. No need to take responsibility.

Cyber bullies

You are anonymous cyber bullies all of you. You should feel ashamed of yourself with the anonymous character assassination. No wonder no one has any respect for this website.

Re: Cyber bullies

Cyber bullies all of you
You are anonymous cyber bullies all of you. You should feel ashamed of yourself with the anonymous character assassination. No wonder no one has any respect for this website.

I see people commenting on someone's letter to the paper. A letter that she wrote because she wanted to express her thoughts to the public. Like the letter that Colleen Murphy wrote to the paper. Did you call the people commenting negatively on Ms. Murphy's letter, her motivations and her family bullying? Or did you save your comments for your friend?

I have to agree. I didn't see anything that approached what I would call cyber bullying. When you take a position publicly you invite rebuttal or differing opinions.

Typical response from the Bozo Brigade anytime there is positive support for the City or the School administration...the red nosed hypocrties will slander and defame anyone who says anything positive about Melrose and then cry foul when one of the their own gets bashed. The news keeps getting better at Melrose High School. Seniors are doing phenomenal and it drives the bozos crazy because they don't get the fact that their weak gene pool is the cause of their kids lousy grades.

Ahhh...Waka, waka, waka

Re: Cyber bullies all of you

Who is the Bully?
Cyber bullies all of you

I see people commenting on someone's letter to the paper. A letter that she wrote because she wanted to express her thoughts to the public. Like the letter that Colleen Murphy wrote to the paper. Did you call the people commenting negatively on Ms. Murphy's letter, her motivations and her family bullying? Or did you save your comments for your friend?

How about anonymous name calling like fake Pollyanna? Entitled dolt?

Cyber bullies.

Cyber bullies all of you
Who is the Bully?
Cyber bullies all of you

How about anonymous name calling like fake Pollyanna? Entitled dolt?

Cyber bullies.

I have respect for this website, so your comment is baseless.

Thanks for the laugh. If "fake Pollyanna" and "entitled dolt" are as bad as it gets, then you need a lesson in the real world.
As does Maribeth Darwin apparently. I was glad /sarcasm to read that the vicious attacks on Ginger Day and the failed attempt at the school's racist cover up provided her family with some delightful dinner conversation. Guess the bleaker issues of our society had to be highlighted in Melrose for her to notice what goes on in world.
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but that letter she wrote demonstrates the same smugness that I see throughout the MEF community. The "we know better" and "we know what's good for everyone" attitude that was displayed throughout the failed override campaign.
She's attempts to be savvy because she ramps up the platitudes and she pulled the trick of blaming the former principal for the handling of the racist teacher although the superintendent that she supports was his boss at the time, so ultimately in charge. Classic deflection and blame shifting. I could even call it finger pointing.

Fake Pollyanna and entitled dolt? That's your so-called cyber bullying? Sounds like something my grandmother would say. If Ms. Darwin is offended then maybe she should reconsider writing to the newspaper to make sure her voice is heard. No wonder she showed no comprehension of the seriousness of how wrong the racism in the Melrose schools was managed, she just doesn't get it or worse, chooses not to, willfully. A racially hostile environment was created at the school by the superintendent that she supports but calling her a dolt is bullying? How do you think that student felt? How about the victims of kick a Ginger Day? Or the many many other incidents that don't make the news.

LOL 2
Fake Pollyanna and entitled dolt? That's your so-called cyber bullying? Sounds like something my grandmother would say. If Ms. Darwin is offended then maybe she should reconsider writing to the newspaper to make sure her voice is heard. No wonder she showed no comprehension of the seriousness of how wrong the racism in the Melrose schools was managed, she just doesn't get it or worse, chooses not to, willfully. A racially hostile environment was created at the school by the superintendent that she supports but calling her a dolt is bullying? How do you think that student felt? How about the victims of kick a Ginger Day? Or the many many other incidents that don't make the news.

Well said.

I tell you what, if you don't think it is so bad, why don't you post your name here, and then you can have anonymous people call you a dolt, and when you are not bothered by it, you can post again about how it is not a big deal. But since you are afraid to put yourself out there, you can't be the judge of what is hurtful bullying or not. The truth is, if our kids were doing what you are, they would be punished for it. But go ahead and mock it- it just reflects on the lack of respect and values of the people posting on this board.

No Bullying Here

Bullies
I tell you what, if you don't think it is so bad, why don't you post your name here, and then you can have anonymous people call you a dolt, and when you are not bothered by it, you can post again about how it is not a big deal. But since you are afraid to put yourself out there, you can't be the judge of what is hurtful bullying or not. The truth is, if our kids were doing what you are, they would be punished for it. But go ahead and mock it- it just reflects on the lack of respect and values of the people posting on this board.

I am mocking you and I've been called worse. If my child called someone a dolt online or in person, I wouldn't encourage it but as you know, there is much worse out there including the synonyms for dolt. What amuses me is the offense taken at tame PG rated terms when all around you, this board included, are hostile slurs. A personal favorite was somebody calling someone a jackwagon on here recently. I had to look that one up. I think you are missing the nuance that this board is mainly for adults so much like how adults get the latitude to enjoy an alcoholic beverage and children do not, adults may be able to get away with using words like dolt while children should not. Responsibly of course.
What I am not mocking and looking at seriously is that in the same manner of Darwin's letter to the paper where she attempts to shift the blame for the racially hostile environment from the superintendent to the former principal, you are attempting to shift valid criticism of her letter to the word choice of the commenters. Nice try.

Could someone please scan in (OCR-it, as it were) Darwin's nonsense so that those of us who haven't seen it could?

The letter was published in The Melrose Weekly News this past Friday. I don't see the op-ed letters on their website but I receive the paper free in the mail.

Bullies

So back to this hurtful bullying. We are in the midst of a Presidential campaign. Every single hour comments are written in print, online and said on TV about these candidates. Their personal lives. Their opinions. Unfortunately even their physical bodies. Are these candidates being bullied?

When movies, or plays, novels, restaurants are reviewed by the critics - and the reviews are god awful (Batman vs. Superman) - are these directors, actors, writers and chefs being bullied?

Miss Darwin chose to write a letter and to have it published in the paper. To comment or offer an opinion on such letter or the motivations for such letter is fair game. It is not bullying and that is a ridiculous use of the term. If people contact Miss Darwin individually, making threats, try to intimidate her - that would be bullying. Otherwise it's simple freedom of speech - freedom of opinion - and no it's not always pretty.

Well said! My sentiments exactly! I haven't read Ms. Darwin's letter yet. Hopefully I'll get to it today.

I agree as well.

The hypocrisy on Melrose Messages is priceless. The angry clowns have been honking their noses non-stop since Darwin put her letter in the paper. Complete shock and disbelief parents are happy with Melrose Public Schools to the point of responding with personal insults, name calling and smears.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a little collection:

Your pretend wide eyed please-explain to me act is reprehensible because I know you're not that stupid. It's dishonest.

Only an entitled dolt would make such a statement

Please don't tell me that Maribeth Darwin supported the Melrose YMCA when they tried to hide their knowledge of that pedophile?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You bozo's are easily the biggest collection of do nothing losers in Melrose. Have you figured out which one of the parents passed the stupid gene to your children, or was it both. Can't wait for MHS graduation this year. All of the high achievers will be on full display, along with their exciting plans for next year.

Clown Patrol
The hypocrisy on Melrose Messages is priceless. The angry clowns have been honking their noses non-stop since Darwin put her letter in the paper. Complete shock and disbelief parents are happy with Melrose Public Schools to the point of responding with personal insults, name calling and smears.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a little collection:

Only an entitled dolt would make such a statement

Please don't tell me that Maribeth Darwin supported the Melrose YMCA when they tried to hide their knowledge of that pedophile?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You bozo's are easily the biggest collection of do nothing losers in Melrose. Have you figured out which one of the parents passed the stupid gene to your children, or was it both. Can't wait for MHS graduation this year. All of the high achievers will be on full display, along with their exciting plans for next year.

I know a great therapist that can help you. Just provide us your contact information.

Ahhh..Waka, Waka, Waka

Welcome to the real world
Bullies

So back to this hurtful bullying. We are in the midst of a Presidential campaign. Every single hour comments are written in print, online and said on TV about these candidates. Their personal lives. Their opinions. Unfortunately even their physical bodies. Are these candidates being bullied?

When movies, or plays, novels, restaurants are reviewed by the critics - and the reviews are god awful (Batman vs. Superman) - are these directors, actors, writers and chefs being bullied?

Miss Darwin chose to write a letter and to have it published in the paper. To comment or offer an opinion on such letter or the motivations for such letter is fair game. It is not bullying and that is a ridiculous use of the term. If people contact Miss Darwin individually, making threats, try to intimidate her - that would be bullying. Otherwise it's simple freedom of speech - freedom of opinion - and no it's not always pretty.

It is cyberbullying because you are doing it anonymously. That is what is at issue.

MFD,I am sure you do. I bet you you have quite the collection of health care professionals.

Cyber yes

Cyber yes. Bullying no. Hypocrisy no.
Attempting to deflect from the letter that Ms Darwin wrote yes.

Ahhh...Waka, waka, waka

Identities
Bullies

It is cyberbullying because you are doing it anonymously. That is what is at issue.

Anonymous is the differentiator? That is the most ludicrous comment I've read in a long time. Better not visits any sites like YELP - where according to your definition gangs and hoards of Cyber-bullies abound! If you post an online comment on an article from the NYT it better not be negative because then you will be cyber-bulling the author.

"Cyberbullies All of You" don't see your name? Did you just call me a bully? Anonymously? Pot calling the kettle.

Identities
Bullies

Anonymous is the differentiator? That is the most ludicrous comment I've read in a long time. Better not visits any sites like YELP - where according to your definition gangs and hoards of Cyber-bullies abound! If you post an online comment on an article from the NYT it better not be negative because then you will be cyber-bulling the author.

"Cyberbullies All of You" don't see your name? Did you just call me a bully? Anonymously? Pot calling the kettle.

No, I am not bullying you, because you are remaining anonymous. Why don't you post your name, and I can trash you anonymously, and then you can claim to be bullied.

Look up the Webster's dictionary definition of cyber-bullying.
It is the following:

The electronic posting of mean-spirited messages about a person...done anonymously.

Ms. Darwin basically epitomizes what is wrong with this city and makes it crystal clear to see how we got to this point. She combines head-in-the-sand (on purpose) with astounding arrogance and lack of caring about any who don't fit in her neat little construct. She's got her political structure aligned to fit around the most provincial and self-centered of values, with total willingness to "support" an administration quite enthusiastically despite full knowledge of the wrongs it has committed and the tremendous price this community will be paying for many years to come as a result. She brushes off gravely seriously matters of overt misconduct, including those which have led to findings by the Federal Government Office of Civil Rights, as inconsequential and silly. She can't be bothered with concerning national test scores or declining matriculation rates because frankly she just doesn't care. As far as she is concerned her own kids will go to college someplace (maybe), and beyond that it really is all just a bunch of hooey to her. She basically thrusts it in our faces that whatever happens to other children is of no concern to her. What's it matter if a powerful teacher abuses her position and tells a black kid to "go back to the plantation...." What's it matter that the administration flaunts the basic laws around investigations and due process.... What's it matter that the SC ignores its responsibilities and saddles the communities with huge liabilities for many years to come that are due solely to their failed leadership and not because of the many other factors that already burden the system.... Darwin is apparently not only content with the way the administration has managed things, she is downright delighted with it all. The viciousness underpinning this woman's giddy "support" towards those who have called for the superintendent's removal, among other things, seeps out of her arrogant words, just as was the case with the 18 Letter-Signers of the previous MEF brigade, whose hostility was anything but hidden. It's really quite remarkable in its totality.

By contrast, Ms. Murphy wrote with dignity, humility, facts, and honesty. Thank you, Ms. Murphy. Your communication sets an excellent example for our community's children.

Ms. Darwin, you are a profound embarrassment to our community, as were the 18 who signed onto the same message last week. You may see yourselves as saviors for the school administration, but in the end you are just tools of politicians and administrators who are using you for their own purposes and at the expense of the general good. You are most definitely part of the problem, not part of the solution!

Amen.

Webster
Identities
Bullies

No, I am not bullying you, because you are remaining anonymous. Why don't you post your name, and I can trash you anonymously, and then you can claim to be bullied.

Look up the Webster's dictionary definition of cyber-bullying.
It is the following:

The electronic posting of mean-spirited messages about a person...done anonymously.

People posting on this message board are responding to a letter sent to a NEWSPAPER from Ms. Darwin. She INVITED the feedback.

Cyberbullies all of you - if you have an actual argument to put forward in favor of Ms. Darwin's letter, let's hear it. Enough with the jargon.

IT is what it is. If you have an actual argument to put forward in favor of Ms. Darwin's letter, let's hear it.

The Point & The Problem

Barnhart
IT is what it is. If you have an actual argument to put forward in favor of Ms. Darwin's letter, let's hear it.

That is both the point & the problem. Deflect from the arrogance of Ms Darwin's letter by calling her detractors bullies. Not going to work this time.

Excellent and well reasoned analysis above of the content of the letter by WOW.

Posters tried to bury the actual letter under the bullying claims. Dolts! All of them. Yeah, I said it. You are a bunch of dolts to try to hide behind a characterization such as you just got dragged, Ms Darwin, for filth. Look it up if the expression hasn't come to your neighborhood yet.