Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does the Rec Dept Always Announce College Acceptances?

Does the Rec Dept Always send out an Email announcing MHS college acceptances? I don't remember seeing this previously. I am going to get petty here but a city's rec dept is for the population of the entire city. Not just repping the public school students. Most rec depts take registrations from out of towners if space is available.

I am on the Rec lists for several communities and I don't think anywhere else makes this PR move.

Re: Does the Rec Dept Always Announce College Acceptances?

Please post the email.

It is totally inappropriate for the city's Rec dept to involve itself in Rob and Cyndy's phony PR crap.

Show please
Please post the email.
MHS Seniors Accepted into Top Colleges!

Great news from Melrose High School! Once again, Melrose seniors have been accepted into the top colleges and universities around the country. Here’s the list of this year’s college acceptances. Congratulations to the Melrose High School Class of 2016!

Adelphi University
Albertus Magnus College
Alfred University
American International College
American University
Arizona State University
Assumption College
Azusa Pacific University
Becker College
Bentley University
Boston College
Boston University
Brandeis University
Bridgewater State University
Brown University
Bryant University
Bunker Hill Community College
Carnegie Mellon University
Case Western Reserve University
Castleton University
Central Connecticut State University
Champlain College
Clark University
Clarkson University
Clemson University
Coastal Carolina University
Colby College
Colby-Sawyer College
College of St. Joseph
College of the Atlantic
College of the Holy Cross
Connecticut College
Cornell University
Curry College
Daniel Webster College
Dean College
Drexel University
East Carolina University
Eastern Connecticut State University
Eckerd College
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
Elms College
Emerson College
Emmanuel College
Endicott College
Fairfield University
Fitchburg State University
Fordham University
Framingham State University
Franklin Pierce University
Furman University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Hampton University
Harvard University
Heriot-Watt University
High Point University
Hilbert College
Hofstra University
Husson University
Iona College
Ithaca College
Johnson & Wales University
Johnson State College
Keene State College
King’s College
Lasell College
Le Moyne College
Lehigh University
Lesley University
Louisiana State University
Loyola University Maryland
Loyola University New Orleans
Lynchburg College
Lyndon State College
Manhattanville College
Marist College
Maryland Institute College of Art
Massachusetts College of Art and Design
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
McGill University
Merrimack College
Middlesex Community College
Mitchell College
Mount Holyoke College
Mount Ida College
New England College
New England Conservatory of Music
New York University
Newbury College
Newcastle University
Nichols College
Norfolk State University
North Carolina Central University
North Carolina State University
North Shore Community College
Northeastern University
Northwestern University
Norwich University
Nova Southeastern University
Oberlin College
Old Dominion University
Oxford Brookes University
Pace University, New York City
Pennsylvania State University
Philadelphia University
Plymouth State University
Portland State University
Providence College
Quinnipiac University
Regis College
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rhode Island College
Rivier University
Rochester Institute of Technology
Roger Williams University
Sacred Heart University
Saint Anselm College
Saint Joseph’s College (Maine)
Saint Joseph’s University
Saint Michael’s College
Salem State University
Salve Regina University
Sheffield College
Simmons College
Skidmore College
Smith College
Southern New Hampshire University
Springfield College
St. John’s University – Queens Campus
State University of New York at Potsdam
State University of New York at Purchase
State University of New York at Stony Brook
State University of New York York at Buffalo
Stonehill College
Suffolk University
Syracuse University
Temple University
Texas A&M University
The George Washington University
The University of Alabama
Thomas College
Trinity College
Tufts University
Union College
Unity College
University of Bridgeport
University of California, Davis
University of Central Florida
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
University of Hartford
University of Maine
University of Maine at Farmington
University of Maryland, College Park
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
University of Massachusetts, Boston
University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
University of New England
University of New Hampshire at Durham
University of New Haven
University of Oregon
University of Rhode Island
University of Rochester
University of South Carolina
University of Southern Maine
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
University of the Virgin Islands-St. Thomas
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
University of West England, Hartpury Campus
Utica College
Vassar College
Villanova University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia State University
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Western New England University
Westfield State University
Wheaton College MA
Wheelock College
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester State University

disgusting
It is totally inappropriate for the city's Rec dept to involve itself in Rob and Cyndy's phony PR crap.
It was also sent to me from Birth to Five & the Mayor's blog. The blog I understand. He wants to brag about Melrose. Birth to Five is iffy but the rec dept takes the PR machine to a whole new level.

It has gotten very interesting here in Melrose. our superintendent, our Mayor, and of course the school committee always looking for new fees to charge us parents. If the budget is that tight, why would you give the superintendent a raise, when the summer begins and everybody is away? I can tell you why, none of you have the you know whats to say no to a raise. It's almost like you warship the ground she walks on. Here's the big question for all of us in the community. How much is the superintendent costing us in legal fees, because of her misjudgement? But better yet, she doesn't even know, because she has hired the best of the best, but the sad part about all of this, us tax payers are on the line for this. Because she doesn't even know what she's being billed for. Because the way she negotiated her contract with these people. Then of course we have the public relations firm that she hired. That's $10,000 or more. And especially if they have to work overtime. So what does this tell us about our superintendent? I find it almost impossible with her education and being a superintendent and licensed, that she needs to use a public relations firm. To speak for herself, the city of Melrose, and the school system. It's pretty sad that Margaret Driscoll thought it was a great idea (for some of you she's the chair of the Melrose School Committee.)Just shows you that the superintendent is in charge and she's not accountable to the school committee like she should be. Lets add to that a little bit. She was asked a question not too long ago, about the rules and regulations in regards to students and parents, about giving proper notice about suspensions, or anything else to go along with that and you know how she answered it? She didn't answer it. She felt the school committee members didn't deserve an answer. She had been put on notice for the past two years now, that she is not in compliance with the law. With the students rights, and the parents right, we all have to understand, these children are under 18 years old and even under 21 years old and they are protected under the law. So when in the hell, is the Melrose School Committee and our mayor, are going to do the right thing and address this issue? Yes, you Mr. Mayor Dolan. We are going to wait until it effects your own children, then you will do something about this. Some of you might think that I am stepping over the line, I am sure not doing that. Mr. Mayor; have you forgotten about the folks in this community, the children in this community? Maybe our city solicitor and the school attorney need to be educated on the law. Oh yes, I'm calling them both out. Why not? Nobody else has. The interesting question here, Mr. Mayor, maybe our city solicitor is doing what you want him too do because you hired him, and he is an elected official in Everett. Maybe you think that this is not going anywhere, think twice. You never know. Once again, this goes back to money being tight. The message that was delivered to the city of Melrose back in December 2015, the citizens voted no on the override because they don't trust any of you. You think that we're a bunch of fools out here, yeah you can say that you don't read the board, we all read the board. The big question becomes, our superintendent has been found guilty, or the city whatever way you want to put it of civil rights violations. I always thought a student would come first, but apparently that's not the case here. The big question for all of us in the community is; 'how do we make Melrose a better public schools system, going up against the Charter schools?' First thing that I can think of is offering something better that the Charter school doesn't offer, but maybe you folks forgot that you are in competition. You do a lot of crying about how much money goes to the Charter schools and vocational schools because the product that they have is no good. Why do I say that? It's very simple. Just look at the board, look at all that's been said. People are talking about real things, but the Melrose Schooll committee and our Mayor and our superintendent don't realize that we do have the pulse of what's going on here. Protect the administration, and tell the parents, you're not going to do anything. People speak at public participation, at the school committee meetings and if you don't like what they're saying, you cut them off after five minutes. But if you have somebody who works for the city, or a person that you really like, they can talk well beyond the five minutes. I think we call that discrimination. That's just an opinion. But the board seems to echo that. So my message to the Melrose School Committee, our superintendent, our Mayor (because the mayor sits on the school committee), why don't you just be honest with all of us in the community. And you may be able to fix some of the problems. Let me add to this a little, Margaret Driscolls blog, is somewhat out of line. She's talking about school committee business if you read it for what it is. It's been on this blog, it's a joke. It's too bad, when you look at the minutes of the school committee and you look at her blog, what a coincidence. In my closing words, to all new elected officials of the Melrose School Committee; if you don't challenge the superintendent and question her morals on what she's doing, nothing is going to change. It has been mentioned on the blog, that she should be fired. Because what is has cost this community, it seems that the school committee and our mayor worships the ground that she walks on and she can't do anything wrong. Oh yes, this is definitely going to hit a nerve of some folks but grow up. The facts always speak for themselves, you can't make this **** up. For all of you, and I mean all of you in this community, just watch how the melrose school committee conducts itself on tv, very little questions about anything. It's almost like its been rehearsed because it seems to me, they don't want us to know anything. Let's go back to one more thing; they want parents to pay for fees or clubs that their children might not even belong to, that's not a tax, that's basically picking peoples pockets. Folks in this community should not give any money to the PTO's forget it. Why bother giving any money? People bend over backwards to help out the Melrose School System. My last words: Mr. Mayor this is getting even more funny, you keep on talking about the override, and how it didnt go through, and how there wont be another override, has it occurred to you that, the people no longer trust you? that's the way that I look at it, I could be wrong. The city has a surplus and all of a sudden it vanishes? Some of you may not like what I said, and some of you will agree with me, but here's the real kicker; the truth speaks for itsself what's going on in Melrose.

To all you Melrose haters on this board, I know that the list of school acceptances really hurts. The list especially hurts those that spend $$$ on private schools. As a long time support of the Melrose schools the only thing I can really say is EAT IT; EAT IT; SUC IT SUC IT SUC IT AND EAT IT AGAIN!!!!!!

What a mature and thoughtful post from Clown/Vuvu/EatIt. Unfortunately, this is the same disgusting attitude reflected by RD and too many others in elected office, those who send their pathetic minions here to post such awfulness and use the accomplishments of students as their political footballs.

Wrong on all counts. Just a long time follower of this site who clearly remembers the Melrose bashers using the acceptance list to bash away at the district for not getting kids into Ivy league schools. Glad to see that they have to eat their own words and that they can EAT IT; EAT IT; SUC IT SUC IT SUC IT AND EAT IT AGAIN!!!!!!

Ahhh...Waka, Waka, Waka

No MIT acceptances? pffffft

Really. A list of schools. Great. It tells me exactly the same thing as it has the last 5 times - nothing. How many are multiple acceptances?

You want to quantify? Provide me a list of those who are still in school in two years. Provide me a list of those who graduate.

Just for the heck of it I tried a little experiment. I filled out an application for Assumption, my youngest's alma mater, class of '09. All that went in with it was an essay, and my transcript from MHS which was, honestly, totally unspectacular. No recommendations, no testimonials, no extracurriculars - nothing. Guess what happened?

Like most propaganda, this list is completely meaningless, both to those who sing the praises of MHS, and those who think it's a joke.

This selective schools on this list represent about 10 kids at that high school. Enough with this bullsh*t that dozens of kids from MHS are going to Harvard, Villanova, Brown, etc. Some of these kids are applying to 10-15 school each, and that's what this list reflects. If Harvard accepts you, you better believe that a whole lot of other impressive schools will too, so it makes sense to see several good schools under the acceptance list.

The high school used to publish a list that showed how many kids applied to each school, how many were accepted or rejected, and how many ended up attending. What ever happened to that list?

Taymore, Dolan and Driscoll will make sure THAT list never sees the light of day.

Meaningless
Just for the heck of it I tried a little experiment. I filled out an application for Assumption, my youngest's alma mater, class of '09. All that went in with it was an essay, and my transcript from MHS which was, honestly, totally unspectacular. No recommendations, no testimonials, no extracurriculars - nothing. Guess what happened?

Like most propaganda, this list is completely meaningless, both to those who sing the praises of MHS, and those who think it's a joke.
Assumption can be my kids safety school.

The list sent out via multiple channels, which reeks of desperation since with the internet, those who want this information can find it easily, is a pretty standard list of college acceptances from an eastern Mass middle class community. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible. Middle of the road which is where the MPS ranks.

Of course the top schools are really the domain of a few students. My HS listed the school with the names of the accepted next to it. Probably not done today for privacy reasons but there were about 5 names spread throughout all the top schools. I don't think that's changed today.

The fact that they are sending this list out to everyone in the city is just embarrassing. As a High School parent, we all know these kids, and who got in where, and it's a very small number of kids that end up going to these exclusive private colleges.

Instead of all this energy being put into PR for the high school, which makes all the administrators look desperate and pathetic, why don't they explain to us what's going on with all the staffing cuts? How many teachers are leaving now that they eliminated several department chair positions? Not a peep out of the high school to explain any of this. No one seems to care about the high school families up there, all the effort goes into trying to impress the elementary parents and convince them that MHS is some elite, high performing high school. Once you're there, you are lucky to be able to find out how to find your child's report card!

Embarrassed
The fact that they are sending this list out to everyone in the city is just embarrassing. As a High School parent, we all know these kids, and who got in where, and it's a very small number of kids that end up going to these exclusive private colleges.

Instead of all this energy being put into PR for the high school, which makes all the administrators look desperate and pathetic, why don't they explain to us what's going on with all the staffing cuts? How many teachers are leaving now that they eliminated several department chair positions? Not a peep out of the high school to explain any of this. No one seems to care about the high school families up there, all the effort goes into trying to impress the elementary parents and convince them that MHS is some elite, high performing high school. Once you're there, you are lucky to be able to find out how to find your child's report card!

Spot ON!

Where were the parents for last Tuesday's Budget Hearing? Not a single parent showed up. And you wonder why Mrs. K had to make the choice to step down? With zero support (except from Mr. M and her family) the last 6 years while she fought for all of OUR children, she did the right thing to step down when it was obvious that the rest of them are going to continue allowing the breaking of laws, the charade of policies and procedures, and the silly political games (all too transparent) of those still on the SC to define the district. I echo Colleen Murphy's apology to Mrs. K for not stepping up and for allowing the fear of retaliation to determine our own family's inaction. I understand that there is a group mobilizing to fight for what's right, and I will sign on, as I hope the rest of you do, also. There won't be much left to fight for otherwise. This whole miserable ship is going down fast. The pathetic and desperate efforts of the PR Machine cannot hide the gaping holes and rot.