Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Middle school

Why is it some middle school male students were allowed to destroy the bicycle of a female student and not be punished. Though I do not know the student personally, I know of her and I have seen her on her bike riding around town doing what looks to be like errands for her family because her mom is not able to do them. When I heard this story it was one more straw in the camels back. The school claims to have a zero tolerant policy and they require the kids to sit through all kinds of Seminoles and such on the topic but when it comes down to it they do absolutely nothing, oh, unless you happen to look at someone cross-eyed then you're in real trouble. But from strories I've heard from my own children and other parents the true bullying that goes on always seems to go unpunished or somehow the victim gets blamed. Can others confirm this?

Re: Middle school

The story is not true.

That's terrible! They shouldn't have to sit through all kinds of Seminoles.

Is that like our online 'newspaper', the Melrose Apache?

How do you know if it's true or not? Is it a rumor or did it happen? At school or on school grounds? Kick a Ginger Day makes me wonder because it seemed like those kids got away with it.

The gender of the alleged perpetrators or victims doesn't matter here. Instinct makes you more sympathetic but it shouldn't matter.

Yes heard the story from a school employee, so are you just saying it's not true or is it really not true. I hope it isn't.

Concerned
But from strories I've heard from my own children and other parents the true bullying that goes on always seems to go unpunished or somehow the victim gets blamed. Can others confirm this?

Yes. The principals, administrators and the city solicitor don't want to deal with complaints. Its easier to go after the complainers instead, to get them to go away, then the comlaint goes away and they don't have to deal with it. That's how Barline hung around for so long and why Heiny is still around. This is also how you end up with multiple Office of Civil Rights complaints. In order to fix things you have to go after the culture. The culture is set by the top school administrators, the city solicitor, the mayor and school committee chair. In order to change this sick, corrosive culture you need to remove the "leaders" who created it and nurture it. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay the $500,000 it will ultimately cost to defend these wingnuts.

Concerned
Yes heard the story from a school employee, so are you just saying it's not true or is it really not true. I hope it isn't.
I think we're saying the same thing or close to it. I hope it didn't happen but if it did I hope it wasn't ignored if it fell under the jurisdiction of the school. Should the police have been called?

It happened- but it will not be dealt with.

Pray for change soon
Concerned
But from strories I've heard from my own children and other parents the true bullying that goes on always seems to go unpunished or somehow the victim gets blamed. Can others confirm this?

Yes. The principals, administrators and the city solicitor don't want to deal with complaints. Its easier to go after the complainers instead, to get them to go away, then the comlaint goes away and they don't have to deal with it. That's how Barline hung around for so long and why Heiny is still around. This is also how you end up with multiple Office of Civil Rights complaints. In order to fix things you have to go after the culture. The culture is set by the top school administrators, the city solicitor, the mayor and school committee chair. In order to change this sick, corrosive culture you need to remove the "leaders" who created it and nurture it. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay the $500,000 it will ultimately cost to defend these wingnuts.

And you wonder why the override went down in flames....