Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Everything is Awesome: unmusical chairs and revolving door stupidities continue unabated

Funny how they're all reported as "exceptional" or "exemplary," and terms like "cultural proficiency" keep being thrown in as if to wash away the stench of the actual reality, which is anything but "proficient," culturally or otherwise!

from wicked local:
June 28. 2016 10:24AM
Corrigan to fill Melrose High assistant principal position

Superintendent of Schools Cyndy Taymore has announced that Bryan Corrigan will permanently fill one of the vacant assistant principal positions at Melrose High School.

Corrigan currently serves as the Director of Social Studies for grades six through 12, a role he's been in since 2012. He will replace Stephen Fogarty, who has been appointed as Director of Co-Curricular, Physical Education, Health and Wellness, on July 1.

"Bryan has proven to be an exceptional leader in his department and established the respect of his colleagues and students," Taymore said. "I have full confidence that he will excel in this role and provide stability at MHS during this time of transition and change."

As the Director of Social Studies, Corrigan implemented the new Massachusetts evaluation frameworks while supervising and evaluating 20 teachers in grades six through 12. He led staff in the development of professional learning communities and common assessments in all grade levels and used the data to make decisions about instruction and curriculum. Corrigan has also run department-level, interdisciplinary, school-wide, and district-wide professional development training for staff.

"I have worked tirelessly to build trust and relationships with my staff and will continue to do so as Assistant Principal for MHS, while fostering cultural proficiency for students and teachers," Corrigan said. "I am excited and honored to be transitioning into this new leadership role and look forward to the start of the 2016-17 school year."

Prior to joining the Melrose Public Schools, Corrigan was a geography, history, civics and economics teacher at Pelham High School from 2006 to 2007. He then moved to Belmont High School, where he taught Advanced Placement Economics and history from 2007 to 2012. His experience as an AP teacher, scoring AP exams for the College Board, and as a facilitator of statewide professional development has helped him lead Melrose High School in its efforts to expand AP offerings and access to AP courses.

Corrigan has a bachelor's degree in history from the University of New Hampshire, a master's degree in teaching from the University of New Hampshire and a Masters of Education in organizational management from Endicott College. He also completed his Initial Principal/Director Licensure coursework in Performance-Based School Leadership at the Educational Leadership Institute.

Re: Everything is Awesome: unmusical chairs and revolving door stupidities continue unabated

Corrigan is excellent. He is the type of young, energetic professional adminsitrator Melrose could have used more of over the years. All in All Merrill replacing Farrell is an upgrade, Fogarty replacing Ruggiero is an upgrade and adding Corrigan to the staff will be a great way to replace Merrill. The new asst piece will be big. Fogarty was the discipline end of the Merrill/Fogarty team and it will be important to bring in a discipline guy. All in all a good transition plan so far.

Re: Everything is Awesome: unmusical chairs and revolving door stupidities continue unabated

Oh sure, a thoroughly well-wrought reorganization and not the chaotic mess it actually is....

Meaning no disrespect to some of the Reorg'ed administrators (some of whom actually are improvements in a very low-level minimally qualified kind of way), this whole thing reflects so poorly on the school district. Good school systems do not do things this way!

So, I noticed that all three MHS promotions are WHITE, FAIRLY YOUNG MALES. Considering Melrose does consist of non-white residents and we have participated in the Metco Program for years AND have been found guilty on four (4) counts from the Office of Civil Rights this past year, maybe it would be a wise decision to hire an intelligent, educated, experienced African-American woman so ALL MHS students have someone they can not only relate to but be treated equally by. Seeing there are about 270 teachers, 100 paraprofessionals, administrators, support staff, sped, secretaries etc and only ONE employee who is melado, I doubt this white-bread, David Duke administration will even consider this. Oh and FYI, I'm white and from Melrose.

My favorite product of the last 18 months in the American social conscience is the white guilt movement. Crayola, the cracker from Melrose is going to bat for diversity among teachers in Melrose, probably on the anti Red Raider movement, attended the Ramadan dinner, a charter member of BLM and has written several letters to various newspapers trying to remove Christopher Columbus day. Being white is now an affliction if you listen to liberal America. Enough is enough. If people of color want to apply for these jobs they should. There will be a posting for an assistant principals job. Lets hope we get every color in the rainbow to apply...but lets face it, its most likely going to be a pool of honkeys that went to a local state college and have taught in the area for 10 years...and its nobody's fault and no one did anything wrong.

Cracker...really?!? Ritz? No. Wheat Thins? Definitely not. Saltines? Yup that's me. Want to call me a harp or mic as well? Go for it seeing you're so wicked witty. Listen Trump Jr., let's take down the walls not build them. Oh and I'm all for the feathers. The Washington Post vetted the subject on if Native American school team names were offensive. Nine out of ten tribes were not. I'm not someone who's easily offended but there is a line, one you've most-likely stepped over, under and on repeatedly. Get your head out of the sandbox, open your eyes and do something real to improve the diversity in our city and school system rather than sit back on your fat a$$ spewing $hit of which you do not know.

To be frank, the vast majority of the civil rights violations carried out by the superintendent, assistant superintendent, principals, administrators, city solicitor (and sometimes even teachers) have been against children with social-emotional and learning disabilities. The district's institutionalized program of intimidation and retaliation against these children and their parents is absolutely shocking. It is wide spread here and accepted as a way of doing business because it saves the district money when they don't have to cater to these kids' needs as required by Federal law. It is easier and more cost efficient for them to have the city solicitor or SRO just scare the crap out of parents to get them to drop their requests for their child's IEPs to be implemented, and needs to be met. Nothing seems to have changed since the Office of Civil Rights came to town, they seemed to have focused on just two incidents while other complaints were ignored.

The OCR came up with a finding on one of the complaints. The other complaint was from a disgruntled teacher that tried to capitalize on a racial issue for her own benefit. There has been no finding in that matter by the OCR.

Disgruntled teacher? Oh - you mean like most of them? If I worked in a system where my supervisor ordered me to commit a racist act, I'd be disgruntled too. I hope she sues the $hit out of the City.