Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ‘They Have To Go’: The Environmental And Health Costs Of Portable Classrooms Kim Drury and R

NO, the $ has been used for admin bonuses.

Re: ‘They Have To Go’: The Environmental And Health Costs Of Portable Classrooms Kim Drury and R

?
Para #2
I agree with everything you said. We are not there for the money. We do it because we love the kids and enjoy what we do. Anyone with a master's does not want this job. We also teach what the teachers are asking us to teach. You should be thankful that there are paras/mothers that have brought up and taught their own children and now want to help you with yours. Again, it certainly isn't for the great pay! You should be a little more thankful especially in kindergarten classrooms where there could be 25 children. You should be a little more thankful in a class where we can help with special needs. I could go on and on. We love your kids. That's why we do it.

There are many paras in the district that have a degree in education. It's not hard to find them, if the jobs are posted. Many of you were hired at a time when the jobs were not publicly posted. If you post the job online in an education job search website, you get hundreds of applicants.

It's a part time job with full time benefits, mothers hours, all vacations and holidays, plus summers off. It comes with a health plan worth 22k, vacation and sick time, plus a pension, and healthcare benefits for life after retirement. The pay is not why people take the job.

Finally - someone with some honesty! The only issue with these pubic school jobs is tolerating incompetent school admin staff - and the constant changing of curriculum and responsibilities when the "musical chairs" begin - which is so prevalent in Melrose.

NO
NO, the $ has been used for admin bonuses.

Of course - teachers first - students second! It's all about the money and NEVER let anyone believe differently. Unless the union is dissolved and we get new management - same old - same old.

However, I firmly believe that the majority of teachers want to teach, love to teach, and have a natural passion to help their students - but the system stops them from fully participating in the education of their students - and that is why most of our good and great teachers have retired or left the system for elsewhere.

I don't know who the paras are that say they are doing their job because they love the kids. Who are they kidding? Perhaps themselves because the real reason they do it is because of the hours, summers off and weekend and holidays off also.

Boy, am I glad my children don't go to the Melrose Public Schools. I would refuse to put my child and put their health at risk by having them have their class in a modular. Where is your backbone? Speak up and refuse their option.

Are you kidding?
I don't know who the paras are that say they are doing their job because they love the kids. Who are they kidding? Perhaps themselves because the real reason they do it is because of the hours, summers off and weekend and holidays off also.

Boy, am I glad my children don't go to the Melrose Public Schools. I would refuse to put my child and put their health at risk by having them have their class in a modular. Where is your backbone? Speak up and refuse their option.[/quote Actually it was for the monthly retirement check you are eligible for and health insurance!

Actually it is for the monthly retirement check after you leave and the health insurance!

"They also danced around the "difficulty" of enrollment projections or in having strategic long-range planning, which was a cheezy way of admitting that they had failed miserably despite all their phony focus groups and pretend (pre-cooked) 5- and 10-year planning efforts. They even paid a consultant to do an "enrollment study," though of course it was a poorly done one that relied on The Word as spoken by the local realtors (known for their unbiased and intellectually strong assessments when it comes to education in Melrose)."

Aside from the venality of too many of those making decisions for all of us these days, the rank incompetence and dishonesty of RD's crew is quite astonishing. It's all about unmitigated arrogance and unwillingness to let any sunlight into any arena, especially if it means listening to alternate views or ways of doing something. Every big mistake in the huge building projects so far (like the screwups at the middle school) are simply because RD will only allow his cronies to provide input and hire the same-old same-old regardless of whether there are more qualified choices. The same is true for hiring of major personnel, with a couple of exceptions. Wearying....

I think I'm finally on board with the people who want to give Taymore the boot.

Chairs
I think I'm finally on board with the people who want to give Taymore the boot.
Once you start paying attention, it becomes the obvious choice. I took far too long to notice many problems in this city. In a way ignorance is bliss but it enables the corruption here. Yes. Corruption. The blanket term for all the shenanigans.

Mom
Question
I am asking this with sincerity: Does Melrose really employ unqualified paras to work with special needs children- I mean to actually fulfill their Ed plans? If so, I think that is illegal. I the district where I work, any Sped para must be certified. Really, I am wondering.

The answer is yes....there are many paras working now who have no background or training in education. They were simply mom volunteers who were given para jobs. Many parents of students on IEPs just assume that the para working in their child's classroom is an educator, which isn't true.

Over the years, parents who were aware of the lack of qualifications of many paras would refuse to sign their child's IEP unless they were in a classroom with a qualified para, someone who wasn't just a local mom. If more parents had done this, the district would have been forced to start posting the jobs a lot sooner, and hiring more qualified paras.

Paras are supposed to be more that just kind ladies who serve as baby sitters.....they are supposed to be delivering special education services to children with specific learning disabilities. I have spoken with SPED teachers who find it appalling that the district administrators believe that anyone off the street can be an educator, that it requires no training or skills or education.

As far as the low pay, that has been the justification for years, but the truth is that, if the jobs are posted online, they get many, many qualified applicants . There is virtually no job in the private sector where you can work 30 hours a week and get these kinds of benefits...Summer's off, school vacations off, health plan sick time, pensions, and union protection. District leadership likes to pretend that no one else would take these jobs because of the low pay, but the reality is, when posted, there are many qualified candidates that apply. Because the current paras have seniority , and are protected by the union, they cannot be replaced.
. Paras are not just kind babysitters! That is a very insulting comment.

Paras do a ton of work, but if they have not been trained (have a degree) in special education, they should not be delivering services to SPED students. Period.

Not an insult
Paras do a ton of work, but if they have not been trained (have a degree) in special education, they should not be delivering services to SPED students. Period.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? We need qualified people for these positions - not fill-ins lacking proper qualifications! That just demeans the system and puts our children at greater risk. Good intentions doesn't count.

Well unless the job description has changed you only need to have passed the Para Pro test.

Para supporter
Paras are not just kind babysitters! That is a very insulting comment.
To be blunt, yes, an untrained para IS a babysitter. How many of the "local" hires have a 4 year college degree? How many of them have any type of extended training in Special Education services?

Someone above mentioned that more local paras are getting trained due to regulations. I hope so. People are trying to be respectful of the paras because of the low pay but qualifications remain qualifications.

Unvarnished Truth
Para supporter
Paras are not just kind babysitters! That is a very insulting comment.
To be blunt, yes, an untrained para IS a babysitter. How many of the "local" hires have a 4 year college degree? How many of them have any type of extended training in Special Education services?

Someone above mentioned that more local paras are getting trained due to regulations. I hope so. People are trying to be respectful of the paras because of the low pay but qualifications remain qualifications.

How many have ANY college at all?

Mr. Mayor - we know you read this blog - do your job and get Taymore to do her job - and protect the children!

Band in Melrose

Someone with more direct knowledge should be filing a complaint with Malden DCF (781) 388-7100. Any educator who has knowledge or even suspects is required by law to report as a mandatory reporter.

The Mayor and Taymore that these portable classrooms would cost 2.5 million dollars.

They have no shame.Taymore has performed so badly for our school district that the school committee members may be too embarrassed .

"They have no shame.Taymore has performed so badly for our school district that the school committee members may be too embarrassed ."

These two statements are contradictory/mutually exclusive. People who have no shame or conscience aren't capable of being embarrassed. Angry at having light shed where they are actively trying to get things by the public, sure. But embarrassment, no.

These a$$hats in charge (mayor/school Committee, superintendent, w/ full cooperation/neglect of BOA) are too arrogant to care. They might be uncomfortable with negative press because it is inconvenient and gets in the way of completing their self-serving agendas, but they do not feel embarrassment or shame. Only people with a conscience feel such things.

BS or BA
How about a bachelor's degree? Do the paras have this? In education?

Meaning well is one thing but actual training & knowledge are important too. There are some established & respected ways to help a child with reading for example but you have to know how to implement them.

The original post mentioned getting a job with MPS based on who you know, not what you know. The paras were used as an example but there are many other positions where this is the case too.

If you're are willing to look beyond your family, your friends & your literal neighbors, you would discover people with actual qualifications who might work for the school system.
So if your child has and IEP do they have a special Ed para? What is the difference in job description ?

But don't bother trying to bring your concerns to anyone. No one will listen to you, and no one cares.

Mom
BS or BA
How about a bachelor's degree? Do the paras have this? In education?

Meaning well is one thing but actual training & knowledge are important too. There are some established & respected ways to help a child with reading for example but you have to know how to implement them.

The original post mentioned getting a job with MPS based on who you know, not what you know. The paras were used as an example but there are many other positions where this is the case too.

If you're are willing to look beyond your family, your friends & your literal neighbors, you would discover people with actual qualifications who might work for the school system.
So if your child has and IEP do they have a special Ed para? What is the difference in job description ?

There is no difference. It's up to you, the parent to ask the question. Some of the paras have backgrounds in education, some have teaching degrees. Some have nothing. You can refuse to sign off on the IEP unless they give you a para who is qualified. That's what some parents do. If you've lived in Melrose a long time, you know which paras are just local moms, and which are qualified teachers, and you demand a qualified para for your child.

It is what it is.

Wow, another summer is coming to an end and before I knew it my kids are going back to school. I think we can all say that we had a good summer we had some good weather. We've all been on vacation mode even after going on vacation and going back to work. In about two weeks folks those yellow school buses are going to be back out there. And all of us are going to have to slow down because those children are going to be walking all over the place. Safety is the number one factor for all of our school children. So all of you that are rushing off to work, please remember to ease off the accelerator. Because we have a lot of children that do walk to school here in Melrose. I'm talking about grammar school, middle school and high school. Please plan your route properly because you know that it'll take you longer to get to work. Please we don't want any children to get hit in the cross walks especially near the middle school and high school, it has happened, we don't want it to happen this year, to all of you allow extra time to get to work or anywhere else you are going where children are going to school. Safety is the number one factor at all times for our children.

You must be talking about somewhere else. First, there are no yellow school buses in Melrose. Second, there are no grammar schools. The elementary schools don't teach grammar in the least.

The first day of school for Melrose Public School children entering kindergarten through grade 12 is TUESDAY, August 30, 2016.
MELROSE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2nd AND MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th IN OBSERVANCE OF LABOR DAY.Safety is the number one factor for all of our school children. So all of you that are rushing off to work, please remember to ease off the accelerator. Because we have a lot of children that do walk to school here in Melrose. Please plan your route properly because you know that it'll take you longer to get to work.

Not bad advice, of course, Uncle Joe, but if my memory serves me correctly (and it still does once in a while) this isn't the first time that school has 'started again'.

Back to School on August 30!

Tuesday, August 30, is the first day of school for students in grades K-12 in the Melrose Public Schools. The first day of school for students at the Franklin Early Childhood Center is September 6