Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scab thread?

Was the thread that was started about a corrupt union leader, incorrectly referred to as a scab, deleted? I can't find it.

The thread gave some very interesting insight into MPS paras.

Re: Scab thread?

Why was that entire thread deleted?

My guess is that the city solicitor may have threatened to take legal action against the operators of Melrose Messages because the mayor didn't like the truth being spread around. This is how they roll.

Patty would never be cowed by Robbie's pinhead Vanny, who's legal prowess has resulted in multiple catastrophes like the OCR and OML violations. A string would only be removed for a legally or ethically compelling reason. It's easy to surmise that the string in question fell into shady territory where individuals were being named directly for unethical and/or illegal conduct with zero proven evidence, hence a real liability issue. Libel or slander don't exist if something can be proven to be true. Ms. Wright's policy has always been to remove an entry if it is brought to her attention (this is an unmonitored board, after all) that there is an ethical or legal problem with it, and certainly if it poses an actual threat to anyone. Too bad that so many in Melrose are so unethical, immature, and just plain stupid. This message board originally serviced many communities, and it was only the Melrose one in which posters were eagerly willing to descend even into outright criminality. But then Melrose has a mayor willing to openly attack a fellow sitting member of the school committee and accuse her of "libel" just because he didn't like the questions she raised.

Here's the posting of that ridiculous example of our "city leadership":

Public Comment
Sep 30, 2015 - 10:00AM
Public Commentary: Citizens Speaking Nail It

https://vimeo.com/139418547
School Committee meeting September 15, starting around 2:15 with Mr. Kenney, then Mr. Kaynor and Mr. Mroz.

This is the meeting where Thorp bullies TK and tries to tell him where his eyes can go when he's speaking, since apparently Margaret's Angels have commanded that there be a new policy about this, too. These people truly have no shame!

From an earlier string:

This is the brilliant thing Mr. Kaynor said and then sent to SC:

From GCK:
read from at public comment on 9/15/2015. It addresses:

1) the mischaracterization of a press interview with a "school committee member" - since the topic was an action she was required to take as a "member of the public" due to your Norms,
2) the purpose of the Norms (to hinder rather than facilitate),
3) the application of the Norms in discriminatory fashion that targets a certain individual,
4) the proper definition of libel,
5) a call for suspension and revision of the Norms, an apology for discriminatory behaviors, and a plea for literacy if you wish to intimidate one of your members so they don't ask uncomfortable questions.

I am not hopeful that we will see an apology for these actions since I have failed even to get you to ask your exemplary employee to apologize for swearing at someone in a public meeting, but I can try. I assure you that a degree of contrition, when your behavior seems abusive, would go a long way towards improving public relations and perceptions, and restoring any sense of dignity to the important work you do.
Campbell Kaynor

Dear Members of the Melrose School Committee,
I noticed that the committee was concerned, last week, that one member was interviewed by the press, and you cited the norms that say that only the chair may speak for the School Committee. Aside from the obvious issues of whether individuals have rights of free speech and whether this one member would ever presume to speak FOR the school committee (I’m sure she is aware that her opinions are not those of the majority), and aside from the fact the OCR is being openly discussed on another School Committee member's blog, I think the real irony is that you can look to your own norms for the reason this happened. The press called this individual because she had filed a public records request; a CITIZEN'S Public Records request for documentation on district matters. Why were they talking to a “citizen” rather than a “school committee member?” Because you tried to prevent the member from accessing information she felt she needed to properly evaluate budget issues, by insisting via Norms, that her only recourse would be to file a CITIZEN's Public Records. If you wish to prevent a member from acting like a citizen I suggest you start treating her like a School Committee member, and not restrict her ability to access documents within her purview. Contrary to the legal counsel you employed for the meeting last week, the MA public records office has on numerous occasions stated that public officials, bound by laws regarding privacy and confidentiality, are entitled to documents far beyond the scope of documents available to public citizens, but your norms apparently do not recognize the authority of the Attorney General and Secretary of State’s Office in this matter.

Norms are a good thing when they are used to facilitate the meeting process and clarify the roles of the School Committee. They are punitive and often discriminatory when they are designed to encumber the activities of a particular member or members who are trying to do their job with a thoroughness the others lack. This is especially true when the norms are applied in a discriminatory fashion to one individual and not equally to all individuals. One stark example presented itself last week, where a member of this committee went on a tangent stating that he viewed "implications of impropriety" as a libelous, and was allowed full reign to expound upon that topic with what sounded to me like threats and insinuations. This was not a topic that was not on the agenda nor is it pertinent to the concerns of taxpayers and educational outcomes for students. The next comment was made by an individual who properly asked “as a point of personal privilege” what were the fees being charged to the taxpayers by the experts brought in for the first hour. Although this is a topic of direct concern to taxpayers and much more relevance to the education of students, she was shut down with an admonition by the subcommittee chair, not to stray from the agenda as this is “one of our Norms that we voted on and the majority approved” so she MUST abide by them. This use of the Norms to persecute one individual and show leniency to the others is discriminatory and not constructive to the process of district management. It harms rather than facilitates communication, it is humiliating and embarrassing to witness, and it reveals the true manipulative rather than constructive purpose behind those Norms.

This School Committee has a lengthy history of ignoring its policies, bylaws, procedures and Norms when it suited the individuals in charge. I have spoken to you about it before and although I complained about it, actually I am fine with the notion that Norms be used as guidelines and not rules. They need to be flexible in instances where they are impractical, contradictory to statute, or undermine the objectives of the body. No matter how carefully they are crafted, you will need to make exceptions on occasion just as it is necessary sometimes to suspend Robert’s Rules of Order. However, when you play favorites in your leniency or strictness or regulate the discussion based on how much you like or dislike the question, that is bullying and treading close to violation of the rights of individuals. I feel this committee owes the public and Ms Kourkoumelis a public apology for its abusive behavior and until there is any demonstration that you can use Norms responsibly rather than punitively, I suggest you suspend them and revise them to be constructive rather than obstructive and while you are at it, make them compatible with Federal and state laws and regulations.

Sincerely, Campbell Kaynor

P.S. Mayor Dolan,

For something to be “libelous” it must be a written statement that is deliberately false and intended to cause harm to the reputation of another individual. Your use of that term in relation to supposed “implications of impropriety” came across as an effort to bully and intimidate, and demonstrates a level of illiteracy that is embarrassing to the Melrose School community. Is this really what you are trying to model for our students?

Can the original poster delete a thread on here like they can on facebook?
On facebook if the person who started the thread deletes it, the entire thread is gone.

From what I remember of the scab thread, someone gave their experience, people talked about & questioned paras, paras gave their experiences & gave their opinions on their employment climate.

I'm not a legal eagle but is giving your opinion based on observations illegal?

I saw people being accused of snitching, back stabbing, and favoritism which although demoralizing to have on the job are not necessarily illegal. I didn't see too many actual names. Just initials. If the shoe fits ...

You can delete your own postings (but not those of others) within the first hour or so only. After that you would need to write to Ms. Wright (link at top of page).

I deleted the string because someone I admire and respect asked me to. I had been emailed by a few people who were named in the thread to remove it as well.

This isn't FaceBook. It is an unmonitored board. There is no advertising and I make no profit from hosting it. I actually pay for it. I have not been asked by Dolan nor threatened with legal action for the postings on this board. I don't write these messages....YOU DO!

I don't cast judgment on the posts or the posters. I will remove posts if ANYONE identifies a child or asks me out of respect for their families. It's really that simple.

A private citizen who is publicly outted by posters on this board by postings may not be illegal (if true)but it is morally reprehensible. Those posts I will remove if I'm asked to. Slamming a politician, the mayor, school committee, aldermen (woman)superintendent or any public figure however...is fair game.

Why not play it smart and use initials? If there are those whose actions in administration are vile, unethical or illegal and you want to get the word out, there's plenty you can post without using a name. Aaron will be glad to follow up as this is the whole point of this board. The press and the city read it daily.

If you want to start the Scab string again be my guest. But if you name names and those folks become upset, embarrassed or their children and families will suffer because of your post, then the string will be removed if they ask it of me.

What about paras that are still trying to be RATS! One para should be gone by now.

Patricia thank you for taking down that string. It is a shame that people write names. You also have 59 minutes to take it down.

At least that rat para KB is no longer the vp and can't sell out any more union members.

With the wild mood swings from giddy to rabid, MBM is under a lot of pressure from CT or there is something seriously wrong. What ever you do don't get bit from Old Yella.

Come together. Have each others backs. Do what you can for each other. Bullies are afraid when the tables get turned. Stay squeaky clean. Follow the rules impeccably. Don't gossip.

Well maybe if MBK and KF didn't go in and sit down with the secretary everyday instead of doing their jobs maybe the principal wouldn't have been on her back. All they was looking for was private information so they can gossip. They are partially to blame for her leaving abruptly.

I hope BC didn't drive another older women out of the system as another secretary left suddenly as well.

Every time you think you know who all the rat ba$tard$ at the R are, another one is running off with the cheese. Welcome to to Willards LC. Here I felt bad for you when you're just as bad as the rest. Wish you'd use your frequent flier miles and jet off to Florida.

With the rampant turn over in principals it makes you wonder what cesspool they are being dredged from. Swimming at the top is MBM. I think MBM is the Pied Piper in rewarding despicable behavior. She plays the recorder and the 'farrthest' one away is at her feet instead of defending coworkers. She should be removed from that position. No trust. No loyalty. No friend. Just a big ball of bristly hair the kind you clean out from your drain and toss in the trash.

Bad Santa
Was the thread that was started about a corrupt union leader, incorrectly referred to as a scab, deleted? I can't find it.

The thread gave some very interesting insight into MPS paras.

I AGREE. LETS GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC. SO I WILL. THE BAD TEACHER, SC, WHO JUDGED PEOPLE BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN, TREATS SUPPORT STAFF DISRESPECTFULLY AS WELL AS SOME SPED STUDENTS IS STILL WORKING FOR MPS IN THE SAME CLASS. SADLY, ONE OF THE GOOD ONES WHO WORKS OUT OF THAT CLASS WITH THE POST GRAD STUDENTS IS LEAVING. MY GUESS IS IT'S GOT SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BAD TEACHER. SAD TO SEE HER LEAVE. GREAT WITH ALL OF THE STUDENTS AND MENTORS REGARDLESS OF SKIN PIGMENTATION OR (DIS)ABILITIES. :(

Dont forget K who covers up for S and sold out a coworker. Just as bad knowing and lying as it is to be the perpetrator.

A real RAT was found at the Roosevelt school. Since MBM became principal she has encouraged human rats and now she has brought in the real thing, an actual rodent. She thinks she is the big cheese.

still RATS
A real RAT was found at the Roosevelt that's saying a lot.

There are rats all over Melrose and the Health Department does nothing.

Did KB and SC become lovers?

Still there kissing butt to CT, CB, SC. Gross!!!