Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dress Code For Gym Class?

Despite what the gym teachers are saying to the students, there is no written dress code that covers the issue of what colors you can wear for sneaker and gym attire, and even if there were, it appears to be unenforceable in Massachusetts for public schools. If they are serious about taking points off for wearing the wrong colors, there will be serious H-LL to pay for administrators and they know it.

Style police
Someone help me here. My kid told me that the middle school gym teachers now require all students to arrive to class this year in either red, white, grey or black sneakers, shirts, shorts and sweatpants or they will lose points on their final grade. I find this hard to believe. I now have to go out and refit my kid with colors to the liking of the gym teachers at a minimum $200 expense? What is wrong with the other colors of the spectrum? I thought we were getting away from the "RED" Raiders name as some found it possibly derogatory to native Americans? Can anyone confirm this rather bizarre dress code coming out of nowhere? I didn't see anything in the student handbook. Anyone who can confirm, please let me know.

So your child comes home, tells you thy need certain things for gym class for a dress code, and your first thought is to quickly go to Melrose Messages and ask guidance and stir the pot with a bunch of other School Haters and Complainers INSTEAD of actually contacting the Phys Ed. Teacher/Middle School to confirm the story of your child?

Why yes. This is the safe harbor here at Melrose Messages. It's safer to field questions here than asking the administrators whose immediate reaction is that you are a just a trouble maker and need to be taught a lesson. Why not just field the question on here first; the safe way?

Sky is falling: You are really out of touch with how this administration rolls. Haven't you been reading the local papers and Melrose Messages or watching school committee meetings over the last three years or so? Get with the program.

Once again, the schools can't be bothered to communicate a new policy to parents. Just tell the kids the policy then threaten them with a grade of F if they don't comply. Welcome to MPS. This is exactly why people post on Melrose Messages.

And still people wonder why the kids are stupid, it’s because the parents believe everything they hear.

Have a good day. [:)]