Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Question 2

For the record, although I vote, I do not feel that the school committee and the choices it makes represents my family or my family's interests.

The trickle down effect of hiring Taymore and it's ripple effects such as having a business manager-in-training, a gym teacher for principal, a union that seems to only protect the ones it shouldn't & so much more is alienating. I have older children and it feels like every day, there is a new bad decision being made.

We Go Round & Round
Looking at the Melrose Rec Guide to Programs:

Middle School Basketball complete with tryouts

Are these not the official team(s) of the middle school?
I have been told by the rec dept itself that part of the high price to play $385 for boys and $415 for girls is because they have to pay to use the school gym in Melrose.

Was only interested in boys but why is girls more? Someone else can fight that battle.

MV didn't take $2 million from Melrose to build a pool but true, they did build a gym & pool because they didn't have a gym. No gym whatsoever.

Do they need a pool? I don't know. Malden HS has one. The vocational school in Wakefield has one. If Melrose could have found a better deal hopefully they'd take it. Should MV let Melrose & the other sending districts use it for free? Probably.

Middle School Basketball (in the Melrose Rec Guide) is NOT a Melrose "Middle School" basketball team. It is open to any and all students that attend middle school and live in Melrose.

Also the pool in Wakefield has been shut down for years. The point is that in your examples, taxpayers elected the SC's that built those facilities and had an opportunity to be involved in the decision. There is really no issue with schools taking on capital projects - the only issue is transparency with taxpayer $$$$$$$$$ and the charge-back to Melrose, a sending district. Has the actual cost of MV facility ever been disclosed????

I didn't know about the Northeast pool closing. My children took swimming there.

The cost of the MV pool should be somewhere in their annual report. One of the reports from the year it was built. They don't "charge back" the city of Melrose. They get the per pupil expenditures and allocate them.

I have no idea how the Northeast pool came to be. It was built before my time and probably before yours. I do know that there have been major changes by the state and the federal government to vocational training education over the years so I wouldn't feel comfortable speculating.

To your point about vocational elected officials, a more under the radar group, I have yet to see. Sure, they're on the ballot but I don't think too many voters pay attention to them. One of the people running right now seems to have much to say but I don't think this is usually the case. It seems like there are issues at that school too if he is right.

Saw a news article today stating that the reimbursement rate the state pays back to the towns for charter students is going to be 63%. That does it for me. Voting No.

Point Made
Saw a news article today stating that the reimbursement rate the state pays back to the towns for charter students is going to be 63%. That does it for me. Voting No.

Do you have a source? I'd like to read it. 63% of the 100% & the 25%? OR ...

do not listen to these people. they are wrong.vote no on number 2.you dont need these schools...charter schools are a joke.they will take money away from public schools...listen people you only get out of school what you put into school.go to school study hard end of story.......

Tail end of a story filed by Janet Wu on Ch 5. I watched it again, and she quoted a study that said the rate was 63% THIS year, not next. Boston is projecting a shortfall of 25 million next year, as opposed to 19 million this year, or 24% bigger, so I would suppose that same rate can also be applied to Melrose. I believe the figure we pay this year is $2,458,732. If we get a 63% reimbursement, we get $1,549,001 back, a shortfall of $909,731. Next year, if the 24% applies, reimbursement would be reduced a further $218,335. That holds if our in-house cost per pupil stays the same, but it' won't.

Some will tell you that it's a wash - we would have spent that much money on the charter kids if they stayed in the Melrose system, but that's not true. Cost per pupil includes just about everything spent - buildings, staff, supplies, insurance, etc,etc,etc. A lot of those costs don't diminish just because a couple hundred kids opt out.

Right...which is exactly the conversation that's been going on throughout this thread - the funding model is FLAWED! Where will the money come from to start all these new Charters? Someone tried to put the Cart way before the Horse with #2.

Look at what happens if we look at the BIG PICTURE and not just what is going on in Melrose.

I find it funny that so many people are perfectly happy to watch (for years and years and years) their public school system mishandle and misuse their tax dollars, but only now are they up in arms about the money the charters will "waste". Once again, hypocrites unite.

Your assumption is, I think, that I'm new to this. Your assumption is wrong. I've been pointing out the sad state of MPS in every regard for years, ever since Dolan got himself put onto the SC. Way longer even than Myron, who used to be a die hard Dolan supporter. Are there a lot of newbies? I guess - as there are newbies complaining about things like water and sewer, but I'm not one of them. Your point is, I think, that most Melrose residents have their heads either buried in the sand or jammed up their butts. In that you would be correct. I don't think they're hypocrites - I think they're just generally self-absorbed and disengaged, exactly the way Dolan likes it.

Funny
I find it funny that so many people are perfectly happy to watch (for years and years and years) their public school system mishandle and misuse their tax dollars, but only now are they up in arms about the money the charters will "waste". Once again, hypocrites unite.

I'm not sure who you think is perfectly happy in Melrose. Certainly not most of the people on this Board! Did you forget that the tax override was handily voted down? Melrose residents were loudly heard - not even one additional penny to the administration to "mishandle and misuse".

Thank you for that perfect example of how taxpayers have "some" say in where their money is spent. With Charters we have ZERO.

Some of you think that charter schools are going to pop up all around Melrose, which I believe is not the case since we are a feeder for Mystic Valley, I don't think another charter would necessarily appear around us. These charter schools are needed in cities with the school system that are failing, while this could be the fate of Melrose in the near future with the current administration and the mayor and school committee running it into the ground. I think question 2 is a viable option for all of Massachusetts and that's how we should think when we vote, it's not a Melrose question but a vote to give the entire student base in this state a chance for a decent education. If this question passed maybe our leaders would wake up and make clear concise, and fiscally responsible decisions regarding our own school system.

Scott
If this question passed maybe our leaders would wake up and make clear concise, and fiscally responsible decisions regarding our own school system.

That's a joke, right? This bunch? Please don't make the mistake of thinking I support giving the SC any more money. I do not. They should all be $hitcanned for malfeasance. But this is a State issue. They, as usual, f***** this all up, stepped back, and said you (cites and towns) have to pay for it. It's essentially another one of their unfunded mandates.

Look, the funding formula is a cluster****. 1. they use the so-called "Per Pupil Cost" to calculate what we pay to MV when it doesn't reflect the actual cost to educate one student and 2. over and above that, we're also already getting screwed to the tune of almost a million bucks a year by the state on the reimbursements (63%) they promised. Question 2 calls for allowing up to 12 new charters per year. It's not impossible to think that in 10 years there could be 70 or more added to the 70 we already have. That's totally unworkable under the current formulas. It's a really good way to push borderline districts into the "underperforming" or "failing" category, meaning even more charters would be needed.

Fix the funding issues, then talk to me. Until then, voting no.

Scott, in your scenario please explain:

1. Who pays to build all these new Charters?
2. What happens to the public schools (that are failing) in the towns that build all these Charters?
3. What happens to the students in these towns that don't get a winning lottery ticket, or have special needs that cannot be met by Charters?

THINK before believing Number 2 is some kind of magic wand that rescues urban children. That's a complete PR play by the Hedge Funds who paid for the entire "Vote Yes Campaign." Google "dark money and Charter schools." Makes for some interesting reading.

Voting NO!

Thanks for pointing towards those articles about dark money. VERY interesting reading, and if you're on the fence, this should really make you stop and think. Voting no.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves to think so parochial and to be so narrow minded! Even the so called charter school funding issue has not impacted Melrose directly since the schools get ever so much more money from the city side each year - millions of dollars to carry on their mediocre performance! We have a personnel and management issue not a money issue. Shame on all of you for corrupting the conversation!

The only cities that have formally asked for expansion or new charter schools are in such urban city districts such as Springfield, Boston, Chicopee, Lynn, and Brockton. Go to: : http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=22832 to learn what schools are asking for expansion and to: http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=21829 to learn where new schools are being requested.

Vote Yes on #2 to give students a chance at an better education! Don't be so selfish!

Shortsightedness
You all should be ashamed of yourselves to think so parochial and to be so narrow minded! Even the so called charter school finding issue has not impacted Melrose directly since the schools get ever so much more money from the city side each year - millions of dollars to carry on their mediocre performance! We have a personnel and management issue not a money issue. Shame on all of you for corrupting the conversation!

The only cities that have formally asked for expansion or new charter schools are in such urban city districts such as Springfield, Boston, Chicopee, Lynn, and Brockton. Go to: : http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=22832 to learn what schools are asking for expansion and to: http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=21829 to learn where new schools are being requested.

Vote Yes on #2 to give students a chance at an better education! Don't be so selfish!

Instead of answering the questions in "What?", and offering any type of informed point of view on the issues, you result to insults and shaming. Nice tactic. It is you that should be ashamed for this type of response.

That was predictable
Shortsightedness
You all should be ashamed of yourselves to think so parochial and to be so narrow minded! Even the so called charter school finding issue has not impacted Melrose directly since the schools get ever so much more money from the city side each year - millions of dollars to carry on their mediocre performance! We have a personnel and management issue not a money issue. Shame on all of you for corrupting the conversation!

Instead of answering the questions in "What?", and offering any type of informed point of view on the issues, you result to insults and shaming. Nice tactic. It is you that should be ashamed for this type of response.

To "What?" and his/her followers who appear too lazy to find answers to their own questions - read the following article which will answer their questions: http://www.massbudget.org/report_window.php?loc=Charter-School-Funding,-Explained.html

- but remember - you will need some degree of reading comprehension to fully comprehend this information - I am assuming that you all meet this requirement - please don't disappoint me! Also, remember that charter schools started back in 1994 so please do not tell me that charter school spending has had a negative impact on the educational system in Melrose all those years! Again - vote Yes on #2!

Ha! This is a funny dialog. I've read that article and many, many others. It does not answer any of the questions I put out there yesterday.

Answer this specific question before you preach the virtues of Question 2: What happens to the students in Springfield that can't get into a Charter due to their unlucky lottery ticket or their needs that can't be met by a Charter?

And, who pays for the new Charter in Springfield? Oh, right. Sending districts. Perhaps you missed the earlier thread on funding - but there is no reading comprehension required. The State of MA is currently reimbursing sending districts at only 63%. It's expected to fall even more next year due to a 25 million shortfall. Add MORE Charters and guess what happens to the shortfall?

Don't even bother to write a response unless it actually includes answers. But you probably won't be able to help yourself. So encourage everyone to ignore all of the above, and Vote for #2 because in Springfield, only children without an IEP and a winning lottery ticket deserve a chance.

Funny

I agree with you the public schools and teachers are finally scared. My oppinion they should be scared for the way Melrose is a big joke.

What?
Ha! This is a funny dialog. I've read that article and many, many others. It does not answer any of the questions I put out there yesterday.

Answer this specific question before you preach the virtues of Question 2: What happens to the students in Springfield that can't get into a Charter due to their unlucky lottery ticket or their needs that can't be met by a Charter?

And, who pays for the new Charter in Springfield? Oh, right. Sending districts. Perhaps you missed the earlier thread on funding - but there is no reading comprehension required. The State of MA is currently reimbursing sending districts at only 63%. It's expected to fall even more next year due to a 25 million shortfall. Add MORE Charters and guess what happens to the shortfall?

Don't even bother to write a response unless it actually includes answers. But you probably won't be able to help yourself. So encourage everyone to ignore all of the above, and Vote for #2 because in Springfield, only children without an IEP and a winning lottery ticket deserve a chance.

If students are not lucky enough to get into a charter school - they can stay in their failing public school until they win the lottery. Of course if people like you would vote to expand and increase them - they could get into them earlier! This is not brain surgery - not sure why this is so profound to you! Charter school are required to take the MCAS & PARCC exams and you can easily compare them to public school numbers.

No one wants to send their kids to a poor performing or failing school - school choice should be an option for all - not for just some. Melrose now allows school choice for some grades in their system and again the sending districts pays us for these students which is increasing each year!

Again vote Yes on #2 - it's the fair and equitable thing to do for thousands of kids on the charter school wait list!

I re-read that article again, and all it did was confirm the points made earlier, except for one piece of information that I hadn't seen before.

"Corresponding with the large drop in funding of tuition reimbursements in FY 2015, DESE changed its approach for prioritizing how available funding is distributed. Rather than providing all sending districts a uniform percentage of the total amount determined by the formula, DESE is now prioritizing reimbursements to districts during the first year of a tuition increase (the 100 percent reimbursement tier of the 100/25/25/25/25/25 sequence). Districts due reimbursements for later tiers only receive funding as it’s available. For FY 2016 it appears as though funding will be close to sufficient for funding first-year reimbursements (DESE currently projects 95% reimbursement for year one increases), with little to nothing left over for later year reimbursements. This effectively shifts the formula in FY 2016 from 100/25/25/25/25/25 to 95/0/0/0/0/0."

So, if there is a tuition increase, the state reimburses the sending district about 100% (supposedly) of the increase in the first year. After that the sending district eats the entire increase with zero reimbursement. That means that the gap between a district's total cost per charter student and reimbursement for tuition increases is GUARANTEED to widen in every year following the first year.

Let's translate that to Melrose. If MV raises it's tuition $1000, in the first year Melrose will get most of that reimbursed. In the following years, Melrose will get none of it reimbursed, meaning a guaranteed additional shortfall of about $200,000.00 every year, and that's just for one $1000 tuition increase.

The reimbursement formula is even more screwed up than it appears to be.

I notice you avoided talking about the dark money being given to the Yes on 2 campaign. Why would these corporations funnel so much money this way? It's actually pretty simple - Massachusetts is being used as a test case for them. They see charters as a business opportunity and a way to make enormous amounts of money down the road. These are the same people responsible for the financial crisis we're just now beginning to fully recover from. Do you really want these people running a public school system?

Voting no on 2.

And Hedge Funds also get huge tax breaks for giving money to Charters.

Just vote yes with no idea how any of these schools will be funded or what losing the additional funds will do to already failing schools. Perhaps we should just eliminate public school altogether in America, and let Hedge Fund Managers create schools and just offer lottery tickets. Winner Winner!

And forget those kids on any type of IEP - those parents are just going to have to figure it out. Maybe home school. Oh, and school athletics - that will become a thing of the past. No town football game to go to when there are 17 different schools in the town. The bussing will be interesting too when there are a zillion different schools. What a sad, bleak picture.

Voting NO.

We all should read the following passage from the post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/04/why-hedge-funds-love-charter-schools/

Everyone is making money off the charter schools, with the profiting all funded from tax payer's wallets.

Making millions of tax payers
We all should read the following passage from the post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/04/why-hedge-funds-love-charter-schools/

Everyone is making money off the charter schools, with the profiting all funded from tax payer's wallets.

Wow.....firms donate money to charter schools and make some money - sounds like capitalism....which we all agree is better than communism or socialism! This is exactly what is done - giving tax credits - for activities that is good for society, such as charter schools, as well as for numerous other charities in the US. I suppose that you would want to stop hedge fund group donations to the Red Cross or to charities that help the poor? What hypocrites!

Interesting. Obviously there are massive tax advantages to them. Being able to write of $2 for every $1 - that's a deal you and I sure don't get. But I think they're playing a much longer game than that. I think they want eventually to privatize public education. The amount of money they could make is staggering. If you think public schools are in trouble now, wait until it becomes a for-profit private enterprise.

Point Made
Interesting. Obviously there are massive tax advantages to them. Being able to write of $2 for every $1 - that's a deal you and I sure don't get. But I think they're playing a much longer game than that. I think they want eventually to privatize public education. The amount of money they could make is staggering. If you think public schools are in trouble now, wait until it becomes a for-profit private enterprise.

Sorry - but your pathetic scare tactics only reinforce your faulty reasoning! Capitalists want to make money with money - schools are NOT money-making efforts!

This kind of reasoning distracts from the real choice - giving parents viable options for their children and creating different types of learning environments that would not otherwise be possible in traditional public school systems controlled by unions! The only major unions are now in the public sector which are bankrupting cities, municipalities, and states! These unions mask the unfunded pension liabilities that will someday collapse the financial well-being of most cities,towns, and states!

For a change that matters to poor Blacks and Hispanics - vote YES on question #2!

Crazy Thoughts
Point Made

Sorry - but your pathetic scare tactics only reinforce your faulty reasoning! Capitalists want to make money with money - schools are NOT money-making efforts!

This kind of reasoning distracts from the real choice - giving parents viable options for their children and creating different types of learning environments that would not otherwise be possible in traditional public school systems controlled by unions! The only major unions are now in the public sector which are bankrupting cities, municipalities, and states! These unions mask the unfunded pension liabilities that will someday collapse the financial well-being of most cities,towns, and states!

For a change that matters to poor Blacks and Hispanics - vote YES on question #2!

That's where you are wrong. Schools have become a place for companies to make money - a lot of money. Pearson is filthy rich. Standardized testing? You think companies make those for free? Now assessment based learning? Software of every shape and size? All ways for companies to make money. This is one piece of what is corrupting public schools.

Did you ever ask yourself WHY Hedge Funds are underwriting the entire Yes campaign? Masquerading their true goal, praying on people's emotions - "why wouldn't you want to give poor children a chance?" It's despicable but it is capitalism. I think most intelligent people see the forest through the trees though and will vote No. [8-)]

Faulty Reasoning
Wow.....firms donate money to charter schools and make some money - sounds like capitalism....which we all agree is better than communism or socialism! This is exactly what is done - giving tax credits - for activities that is good for society.

Crazy Thoughts

It's immediately clear that these two people, if it is two different people and not just one delusional Koch brothers devotee', have no idea what "capitalism" is, how it functions, or what the inevitable end result is, which is to create a two-class system with no middle class. It's also clear that they, or he, doesn't know his history.

Anyone who thinks schools are not a potentially huge money making opportunity is either not paying attention or is as dumb as a bag or rocks.

Voting no.

No one is saying that some companies are making money in these exam prep firms - I sent some of my won kids to these firms for extra help - and it worked well for them.

What I'm saying is that the 70 or so charters schools are not gong to be an attractive alternative for Capitalists to make big money - they do that in the stock market or other such investments - get real folks and grow up - mentally!

What I would like to see done is to eliminate the US Department of Education- this bureaucracy has grown too big and is hammering school districts all over the nation with these unfunded requirements - and helping special interest groups to develop and expand their influence into our education system. This is were Common Core was developed - Washington bureaucrats - and we all know from news accounts how unsatisfactory this program has been nation-wide including here in Mass.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time understanding (mentally) the relationship between Hedge Funds and Charter Schools.

First, ask yourself why the hedge funds and their investors are 100% funding the "yes" campaign. Here is the answer: Charter schools are big money for them. Clearly you do not work in the financial services industry. I do. Let me help you to understand (mentally) how much money a tax credit is worth for a hedge fund.

The typical minimum hedge fund investment is between $500,000 and $1 million. Per investor. Most of the big successful funds have a much higher minimum initial investment. Because the managers of these funds invest so frequently there are typically very high capital gains - resulting in taxes for the investors. So a tax credit is very, very valuable - to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

So of course Hedge Funds are for 70 new charter schools! That's an opportunity for 70 funds to receive a tax credit! Rich get richer.

Use Rationale Reasoning
What I'm saying is that the 70 or so charters schools are not gong to be an attractive alternative for Capitalists to make big money.

You just answered your own question. That's why they are funding the Yes initiative - to increase the number of charters by as many as 12 per year, and that's just in Mass.

The FY17 MPS Foundation Budget is a tick over $37,000,000.00. The "investors" recognize the enormous profit potential and tax implications, and they are hoping to take over completely from current systems and create a privatized public system.

You are delusional if you think that investing in 12 additional charter schools is going to make Wall Street take notice here in Mass! This is a typical response from those delusional progressive Democrats who don't want the unions to lose members! Please - do is all a favor and keep dreaming of a world run by unions and big government!

I'm having trouble understanding the total lack of comprehension you show. They've already taken notice. Why do you think they are investing in the Yes campaign? Maybe you're struggling with reading comprehension - it's 12 PER YEAR. There are 70 in Mass now - in 10 years there could be 190, and in case you've forgotten, there are 50 states. And I'm not a Democrat, let alone a delusional progressive Democrat.

They have such hate for unions and government that they don't see the threat posed by Wall Street. Apparently they've forgotten about the last ten years spent trying to recover from the last Wall Street scam. Can't see the forest for the trees. Pathetic.

When people like "Delusional" don't understand the truth and have absolutely no facts, they result to word like "ashamed", "delusional", "pathetic", "scare-tactics".

It's pretty clear "Delusional" doesn't understand how Wall Street operates or how much money these Hedge Funds stand to gain off of Question 2.

My advice: instead of ranting, and stubbornly hanging on to your position, how about just googling "Hedge Fund and Charter Schools". Spend an hour reading - there is a wealth of information out there.

Not going to argue. I see the points on both sides. I will say that it is funny (?) to me that there is so much disdain for the hedge funds and privatizing proponents who are making so much money, and not so much for the powers that be in the government who are running the public schools.I agree that Pearson is horrible and that company is making tons and tons of money, but they are making that money off of public schools. The Feds sold us down the river a long, long time ago by making Pearson the end all, be all in testing our kids. Just pointing out that you don't have to privatize or go to charters to make mountains of money off education. You just have to get in good with the federal government.

The Feds
I will say that it is funny (?) to me that there is so much disdain for the hedge funds and privatizing proponents who are making so much money, and not so much for the powers that be in the government who are running the public schools.

That's not true at all. I am equally disdainful of them as well. Common Core is a sick joke, and the local SC and Administration is a disgrace. Those sentiments have been expressed vociferously on this board for literally years.

The Feds
Not going to argue. I see the points on both sides. I will say that it is funny (?) to me that there is so much disdain for the hedge funds and privatizing proponents who are making so much money, and not so much for the powers that be in the government who are running the public schools.I agree that Pearson is horrible and that company is making tons and tons of money, but they are making that money off of public schools. The Feds sold us down the river a long, long time ago by making Pearson the end all, be all in testing our kids. Just pointing out that you don't have to privatize or go to charters to make mountains of money off education. You just have to get in good with the federal government.

Exactly - just what I have been trying to tell these delusionals on this messageboard. And don't forget that the hero of the progressive Democrats is no less than Hillary who is owned by these same hedge fund people who these progressive Democrats hate! Talk about hypocrisy!

I totally agree with "The Feds" as well. I'm sure most who concerned over Hedge Fund involvement with Charters are equally as concerned with any and all companies making a profit through public schools. Common Core, standardized testing, competency based learning - these are all profit makers for private companies off of taxpayer dollars - and do not serve the best interest of students.

The basis for this thread is Question #2. Most people voting No care about public schools in America - and at the same time most of us are also fed up with all the bull**** in public schools and clearly very unhappy with Melrose administration.

However adding more Charters does address in any way the fundamental problems with public schools - in Melrose or in the State. The Charter funding model is severely flawed, it doesn't serve ALL children and helps the extreme wealthy get even richer. That's why I'm voting NO.

I'm voting no. This vote is entirely independent of the traditional public schools. The Mystic Valley charter school is a glaring example as to why everyone should vote no. This school is outside of the reach of taxpayers and is using our money to the benefit of a very few residents of this city. The tax dollars of Melrose residents has gone to build fields, buildings and pools for the charter school. As a resident of Melrose you are not allowed to use the facilities that you paid for. It is unconscionable. The group that runs the Mystic Valley charter school is very savvy and they have effectively exploited the MA charter school laws to benefit a very small group. Basically they are running a private school on our dime.
Conceptually, charter schools are a good thing. Sadly, a small band of thieves have taken more than they need and further expansion of charter schools is not a good idea at this time. Until such time that taxpayer oversight is implemented; there should be no further expansion.
I agree with the chorus of criticism against the public schools. However, if I am so-motivated, I can do something about it. I can run for SC myself or get behind a candidate I believe in.
Meanwhile, the Mystic Valley charter school is mishandling my tax dollars and I have absolutely no recourse against them. I just have to sit back and watch them use my money to build buildings and facilities that I can't use.
Emphatically voting no.

Voting No
I'm voting no. This vote is entirely independent of the traditional public schools. The Mystic Valley charter school is a glaring example as to why everyone should vote no. This school is outside of the reach of taxpayers and is using our money to the benefit of a very few residents of this city. The tax dollars of Melrose residents has gone to build fields, buildings and pools for the charter school. As a resident of Melrose you are not allowed to use the facilities that you paid for. It is unconscionable. The group that runs the Mystic Valley charter school is very savvy and they have effectively exploited the MA charter school laws to benefit a very small group. Basically they are running a private school on our dime.
Conceptually, charter schools are a good thing. Sadly, a small band of thieves have taken more than they need and further expansion of charter schools is not a good idea at this time. Until such time that taxpayer oversight is implemented; there should be no further expansion.
I agree with the chorus of criticism against the public schools. However, if I am so-motivated, I can do something about it. I can run for SC myself or get behind a candidate I believe in.
Meanwhile, the Mystic Valley charter school is mishandling my tax dollars and I have absolutely no recourse against them. I just have to sit back and watch them use my money to build buildings and facilities that I can't use.
Emphatically voting no.

Such narrow mindedness! Hurt thousands of inner city kids that need this help because you and others have this thing against Mystic Valley Charter School or you don't like where some of the funds come from for them or their rules are not perfect! It is disgusting to see such arrogant and self-serving attitude among you! Be honest with yourselves - if you vote no - you are hurting thousands of innocent kids who deserve a chance at a better school - to say otherwise is only fooling yourself and avoiding the fallout from your vote!

Honestly, the only narrow-mindedness I see is yours. Perhaps fiscal responsibility and accountability aren't important to you, but they are to me. If you're going to sink to third grade name-calling, I'm going to ignore you from here on in. Why do you feel it necessary to sink to that level? It's a consistent MO for the Yes proponents when confronted with facts they can't dispute. Grow up.

Voting no. Get over it.

Amazing
They have such hate for unions and government that they don't see the threat posed by Wall Street. Apparently they've forgotten about the last ten years spent trying to recover from the last Wall Street scam. Can't see the forest for the trees. Pathetic.

You are 100 percent correct. People soon forget what Wall Street did to Hillary Clinton...

mr noway
do not listen to these people. they are wrong.vote no on number 2.you dont need these schools...charter schools are a joke.they will take money away from public schools...listen people you only get out of school what you put into school.go to school study hard end of story.......

Yes listen to these people they are correct. In Melrose its a joke the Mayor, CT, SC, and the way they treat the people that work hard for them. To let the City of Melrose go down to the tubes is so disappointing.

Hedge Fund 101
When people like "Delusional" don't understand the truth and have absolutely no facts, they result to word like "ashamed", "delusional", "pathetic", "scare-tactics".

It's pretty clear "Delusional" doesn't understand how Wall Street operates or how much money these Hedge Funds stand to gain off of Question 2.

My advice: instead of ranting, and stubbornly hanging on to your position, how about just googling "Hedge Fund and Charter Schools". Spend an hour reading - there is a wealth of information out there.

Why wouldn't you find the link, if not paste the article? That would be far more convincing. Identify an article that elaborates why hedge funds are so detrimental to the charter schools. Asking me readers to google it is akin to a HS kid asking a teacher to "trust him" on his research.

You want to convince me that voting no is right - bring the sources.

Because it isn't just one article. It's page after page of articles that would undoubtedly crash this board if copied and pasted.

Don't be a schmuck. Google that topic yourself and start reading.

Tom K.
Hedge Fund 101

Why wouldn't you find the link, if not paste the article? That would be far more convincing. Identify an article that elaborates why hedge funds are so detrimental to the charter schools. Asking me readers to google it is akin to a HS kid asking a teacher to "trust him" on his research.

You want to convince me that voting no is right - bring the sources.

The final truth about this topic is:

Although Hedge Funds invest in state charter systems - they DO NOT have any control over them or their curriculum! This FACT has been conspicuously absent from this debate! As you should know - charter schools are run and operated independently - there is no hedge fund involvement in the running of the schools or the establishment of its curriculum which MUST be approved by the state - and which closely monitors the activities of these charter schools to ensure that they are meeting their charter requirements. These reasons are enough to vote YES on #2.

Who said anything about Hedge Funds running Charter Schools? Please - you think those fund managers care one bit about "public" schools? All their children attend private school. They don't have time for curriculum nonsense. They are busy making money! That's why they are bankrolling the entire "Yes" campaign - so more Charters will open and they can get their zillion dollar tax credit. Once a school is open they need another one - which is why they want MORE. It's pretty simple.

The insane Charter funding model doesn't affect them. Increased taxes to cover massive state losses won't affect them. Public schools that are only reimbursed 63% doesn't affect them. Kids left behind because their needs can't be met by a Charter doesn't affect them. Residents paying taxes with zero oversight on the spending doesn't affect them.

If those things don't affect you or you have convinced yourself that you are saving "some" poor urban children so none of them matter - then go ahead and vote yes. That's what the hedge fund managers want you to do :)

If the public schools are such a problem, why not just take all of this effort and energy of creating new charter schools and direct it to fixing the public schools?

1 2 3 4