Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????Melrose City Charter Needs to be Fixed.

The people from Melrose who work here are not the ones who are getting in trouble. Some depts. have not hired from Melrose in years skipping over excellent prospects.

Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????

Today's School Spring postings:

Public Postings
Date Job Title School/Site
Sep 6 School Psychologist Melrose High School
Sep 6 Elementary School Administrative Assistant Roosevelt Elementary School
Aug 31 Group Leader - Elementary After School Program (6) -- Various --
Aug 31 Long Term Substitute - Middle School Science Teacher Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 31 Elementary Long Term Substitute Teacher (Grade 1) Winthrop Elementary School
Aug 24 Paraprofessionals (ECC/High School) (7) -- Various --
Aug 24 Secretary - Middle School Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 18 Foodservice Melrose Public Schools
Aug 18 Transportation Drivers (4) Melrose Public Schools
Aug 18 History/Geography - Long Term Substitute Teacher (12 weeks to Dec 1) Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 18 Art and Generalist Teacher - After School Program (2) -- Various --
Aug 18 After School PE/Gym Teacher (2) -- Various --
Aug 18 Elementary Teacher Grade 1 Lincoln Elementary School
Aug 18 Shared School Social Worker (.8) -- Various --
Aug 17 High School Math Teacher Melrose High School
Aug 16 Physical Therapist (.4-.8 until January) Melrose Public Schools
Aug 16 Speech Language Assistant -- Various --
Aug 11 Elementary Educational Team Facilitator - Anticipated -- Various --
Aug 11 Substitute Traffic Supervisor - Full Time/School Year Melrose Public Schools
Aug 4 Teacher - After School Homework Headquarters (5) -- Various --
Aug 4 Anticipated Special Education Teacher (one year position) Melrose High School
Aug 4 Group Leaders - Pre-K After School Program (16) -- Various --
Aug 3 Assistant Site Coordinator - Elementary (6) -- Various --
Jul 28 Elementary Special Education Teacher Substitute Winthrop Elementary School

That's too many positions open the first week of the school year. Principals took their extended vacations over the summer. Admins first, children last.

Amazing what a list on school spring! Something is wrong in the system. CT you need to clean house.

Dolanite: Our Mayor and City are awesome!
Reality: Teachers, Cops, Fire fighters transferring like wild fire.

In fact the only well paid group in our city is the DPW. And to their credit, our city looks great. But you rarely hear about a DPW worker who is unhappy and ready to leave. But the three groups I mentioned above, with all of their inner issues, the schools taking the cake.

My point is everyone acts like everything is great because property values are high. But what if they weren't? And we're just one collapse away from that again. We'd be concentrating on those three issues a lot more than we are now. We need to pay our Teachers, Officers, and Fire Fighters better. Why would we want the scraps when we could have and retain the best!? And please no crying poor, we all know the city has funds stored away.

You have every right to be concerned.It's a constantly revolving door of staff up there, it's impossible to keep track of who anyone is any more.The poster above is correct.

What's going on in Melrose? The word is no one is happy in most of the schools. Why not more principals leaving then just staff. That's a good question to all the taxes payers. The Hoover has not enough help for the teachers. Everyone's absent at the Horace Mann. The ECC is told to do things that are not true. The High school is a mess and SC is still a teacher. The Roosevelt staff is in mourning over the loss of the secretary. And MBM is blaming her CRAZY performance on BC. Telling CT a new secretary will solve her problems.Lincoln principal is starting to not be trusted also. MVMMS he will continue driving out staff for CT.

Melrose is filling position from anyone and everyone. They don't care who they hire as long as they pass the cori and they are not a level 3. So looking for a job go to Melrose you are sure to be hired.

Keep on electing these idiots on the school committee and this stuff will only get worse- wake up people - the SC hires the super - the super is incompetent and arrogant to boot! Connect the friggin dots! And angel-hearing, Margaret Driscoll leads the lemmings - what else do you expect? Dysfunctional - dysfunctional, dysfunctional!

Can't forget the Winthrop School no staff left. That school is a revolving door. They can't get out fast enough. That principal is nasty and looking to get rid of anyone for CT. SC are you hearing the people of Melrose. I lived here for 25 years and it has not changed for the better.

I worked with MBM for a few years and she would go to my boss and make accusations that are not true. She has CT so fooled that she is the best principal in Melrose.

Roosevelt is in chaos! I've been a parent at the Roosevelt for five years and I've never seen anything like this. MBM is blaming it on the secretary leaving? She doesn't answer e-mails, notices aren't being sent out, schedules are wrong, the website hasn't been updated. This is her third year at the Roosevelt, she should know how to do something... BC was there for over ten years. She knew the school, procedures, parents, students, and there was never a problem with communication. MBM has a temporary secretary now, so how is a new secretary going to help her?

You have every right to be concerned.What's going on in Melrose?

Another special needs teacher leaves the High school. TR a great teacher for that department. TR will be missed by all the staff and students. Bye my friend.

What's the new twitter Melrose sent out for the lock down on Friday? What happened to the automatic calls to the residents. Also, why didn't all school get locked down?

3rd year principals really change. Chaos you have no idea what she is doing. Blaming it on

the secretary is the real MBM. MBM will never change and she will continue to fail. More

than any principal that ever worked in the old or the new school. MBM is the most dishonest

person you will meet. Parents, PTO, Staff, Secretaries, you can change this for our

children.

The real question.How come staff is leaving?

No, the real question is... "Why are the good people leaving?"

Wait when did TR leave?

Dolan is a DONKEY!!! That is why good people are leaving.

Dolan is not DONKEY.It is us is the donkey. Mayor Dolan is a good men.

Another semi-literate MHS grad heard from.

Their not learning like your supposed to, like I are!

Maybe I jumped the gun. Maybe it's a teacher. Having read some of the crap that comes out of there, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Why are the good people leaving?

Jealousy, bullies, unhealthy environment! That is why people are leaving. Dolan is a Donkey!!!

Some teachers are not like they used to be! That's why children are not learning as well because it shows they don't care.

I miss Mr Brow! The new guy wants to make headlines by arresting everyone. Bring back Brow and Stanton.

You mean Dumb & Dumber.[:))]

The real question.Whats going on at the schools?

Double

Teachers, Officers, Fire Fighters leave because of the pay. Plain and simple. People can point to minor issues but the major one is pay. We don't retain the best here in Melrose, never have, probably never will. Must be nice to live in a wealthy community like Winchester or Lexington, where you can literally buy your way out of problems.

all
Double

Teachers, Officers, Fire Fighters leave because of the pay. Plain and simple. People can point to minor issues but the major one is pay. We don't retain the best here in Melrose, never have, probably never will. Must be nice to live in a wealthy community like Winchester or Lexington, where you can literally buy your way out of problems.

Listen...dumb, dumb ...if the pay was so bad for Melrose gov workers - nobody would be working in Melrose!

The pay here has always been lower than surrounding communities - and we previously have had great schools and city workers. It is only you recent residents who have no history of our city who would make such illogical comments. Money is NOT the overriding consideration for people wanting to work in our schools & other city jobs.

Melrose Resident
all
Double

Listen...dumb, dumb ...if the pay was so bad for Melrose gov workers - nobody would be working in Melrose!

The pay here has always been lower than surrounding communities - and we previously have had great schools and city workers. It is only you recent residents who have no history of our city who would make such illogical comments. Money is NOT the overriding consideration for people wanting to work in our schools & other city jobs.

Relax old man, don't want you to get too excited. If you don't think pay is the number one reason people leave you are stupid. Unlike you I have friends in every one of those fields, and they ALL say the same thing. Pay is garbage compared to similar, surrounding cities/towns. Also you are dead wrong in saying Melrose has always been low paid. That is just a bold faced lie with no proof behind it. Go watch murder she wrote and leave the important things to people still in the workforce.

[/quote]
Relax old man, don't want you to get too excited. If you don't think pay is the number one reason people leave you are stupid. Unlike you I have friends in every one of those fields, and they ALL say the same thing. Pay is garbage compared to similar, surrounding cities/towns. Also you are dead wrong in saying Melrose has always been low paid. That is just a bold faced lie with no proof behind it. Go watch murder she wrote and leave the important things to people still in the workforce. [/quote]

Get real! And I am still "in the game" earning a weekly paycheck!If you are wrong about this - you must be wrong about most thing you speak of! And just to clarify - I only said that pay was not the only issue why people leave a system. We have lost a lot of good, qualified, excellent teachers over the past 4 years and many of these teachers confided to their friends that they can not stand senior management staff and how they poorly treat their staffs and teachers. Some of these same teachers have even published articles in the local papers about it. Work environment, the potential to be promoted, and how much respect and support they get from their supervisors and admin staff play more important roles in why people come and go in our school district. And unless you are a city hack or have a vested interest in maintaining our incompetent school administrators, you would understand this.

Melrose Resident

Relax old man, don't want you to get too excited. If you don't think pay is the number one reason people leave you are stupid. Unlike you I have friends in every one of those fields, and they ALL say the same thing. Pay is garbage compared to similar, surrounding cities/towns. Also you are dead wrong in saying Melrose has always been low paid. That is just a bold faced lie with no proof behind it. Go watch murder she wrote and leave the important things to people still in the workforce. [/quote]

Get real! And I am still "in the game" earning a weekly paycheck!If you are wrong about this - you must be wrong about most thing you speak of! And just to clarify - I only said that pay was not the only issue why people leave a system. We have lost a lot of good, qualified, excellent teachers over the past 4 years and many of these teachers confided to their friends that they can not stand senior management staff and how they poorly treat their staffs and teachers. Some of these same teachers have even published articles in the local papers about it. Work environment, the potential to be promoted, and how much respect and support they get from their supervisors and admin staff play more important roles in why people come and go in our school district. And unless you are a city hack or have a vested interest in maintaining our incompetent school administrators, you would understand this.[/quote]

Then we miscommunicated. I thought you were denying the pay factor completely. Yes, I have also heard about the poisonous atmosphere in our school system. My only point was they told me they can deal with the non sense if the pay was better. Recently a teacher was going to transfer into Melrose from a surrounding town. The commute would have been a dream come true. But to leave his old school system and come to melrose he was looking at a 25% pay cut, he literally couldn't do it!

And I know this is a teacher blog, but light needs to be shed on our Police and Fire as well. You said yourself qualified and excellent people leave our city because of the above mentioned issues. It's not just teachers, I'd be surprised if more teachers left than Officers and Fire Fighters, simply shocked. I know of at least 10 Officers that have left in the last 8/9 years. Fire Fighters, while not as bad, have had their fair share of transfers as well. Just don't want to concentrate on one group, all of them need to be addressed.

Concerning the teacher that wanted to transfer to Melrose - he does not bring his seniority with him from his other school and of course each school system has a different pay scale based on its local collective bargaining contract. You will never get a 1:1 salary having seniority in one school and not at the new school. He must have been working at a more wealthy school system than Melrose.

Concerning our police...we have a small police force so if you are young and looking for quick promotions - Melrose is not that place unless you intend it make it career in Melrose - they also augment their normal pay with paid detail so they have an opportunity to make significantly more money than teachers. Please don't lump them these city employees together in the same basket because they are not similar situations.

Normal Pay

Melrose Resident
Concerning the teacher that wanted to transfer to Melrose - he does not bring his seniority with him from his other school and of course each school system has a different pay scale based on its local collective bargaining contract. You will never get a 1:1 salary having seniority in one school and not at the new school. He must have been working at a more wealthy school system than Melrose.

Concerning our police...we have a small police force so if you are young and looking for quick promotions - Melrose is not that place unless you intend it make it career in Melrose - they also augment their normal pay with paid detail so they have an opportunity to make significantly more money than teachers. Please don't lump them these city employees together in the same basket because they are not similar situations.

The teacher did come from a more affluent community, this is true. But he was not a senior guy, 5 years on the job. And the 25% difference was comparing top scale to top scale, that is what was so amazing about it. As for our Police, the issue is pay so I most certainly can lump them in together. Obviously two different jobs, but the ISSUE is the same (including Fire).

According to the city ordnance 63 Officers from the Chief on down is what is called for.....not THAT small. I feel many people in our city try to pretend we still live in a quiet bedroom community, and up until 10 or so years ago I'd agree with them. All you have to do is ask and research (like I did) and you can come to the conclusion that we need to pay our city employees better. And to do so would not be as much of a burden as city hall would lead you to believe.

By the way I can forecast where this conversation will go "oh he must be a cop, he must be a fire fighter, he must be a city hack." None of the above people, I just like to see fairness passed down to the people who educate our children and protect us. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's all Melrose deserves for pay its not Winchester. Melrose has a lot of

inexperienced teachers due to this administration and its not stopping. So

get out while you are ahead!!!

To All....we have much less than 63 police officers - and have the smallest police force of our surrounding communities - get your facts straight! And there is a big difference between the pay of police and teachers - police frequently can augment their pay with paid details.

And the other poster is correct in saying that we have a large number of very young teachers which also brings down the average teacher salary for the district - incomplete statistics can certainly make things seem more dire.

Disgusted!
To All....we have much less than 63 police officers - and have the smallest police force of our surrounding communities - get your facts straight! And there is a big difference between the pay of police and teachers - police frequently can augment their pay with paid details.

And the other poster is correct in saying that we have a large number of very young teachers which also brings down the average teacher salary for the district - incomplete statistics can certainly make things seem more dire.

We do not have the smallest police department around. In fact not even close, I think it is you who should do your research. And the city ordnance calls for 63 officers, I know we don't have that many. And for the record I'm sure our officers would much rather have a decent base pay instead of working 60 hours a week doing extra details. And the teachers have the entire summer off what do you mean they can't make extra money!? Also I never said the teachers shouldn't be paid better! I think they should! Stop twisting my posts.

All
Disgusted!

We do not have the smallest police department around. In fact not even close, I think it is you who should do your research. And the city ordnance calls for 63 officers, I know we don't have that many. And for the record I'm sure our officers would much rather have a decent base pay instead of working 60 hours a week doing extra details. And the teachers have the entire summer off what do you mean they can't make extra money!? Also I never said the teachers shouldn't be paid better! I think they should! Stop twisting my posts.

Typical liberal thinking! Everyone is underpaid no matter what their job! Give everyone more money - raise our taxes - and wonder why the economy is stagnant - and people need to work two jobs to survive. Sooner or later - you are going to run out of other people's money - then the whole economy will collapse - you only need to look at what is going on in Europe to understand this.

Thank god for liberals. Without them all we would have is a$$hole Republican would just want to give tax breaks to the rich. I paid more taxes than Donald (Bouffant) Trump did and I made much less.

Ps. I believe he made $64 million and paid zero, nada, zilch in taxes. Not bad and he still wants more tax breaks.

HRC
Thank god for liberals. Without them all we would have is a$$hole Republican would just want to give tax breaks to the rich. I paid more taxes than Donald (Bouffant) Trump did and I made much less.

Ps. I believe he made $64 million and paid zero, nada, zilch in taxes. Not bad and he still wants more tax breaks.

Great! Another liberal with this terrible liberal disease! First - you do not know what taxes Trump has paid since he has not release his recent taxes. Second. he has told us all that we ALL will be getting tax reductions the middle class as well as the so called rich! Given that Hilary has already told us she will tax us all much higher to pay for all her free-bees, you should be more afraid of her than Trump!

Get the facts straight and get off the friggin Democrat juice that are handing out in copious amounts!!!!!

Hey dopey! Trump didn't break any laws or the IRS would be all over him. If he didn't pay any taxes it was because the tax codes allowed it. Maybe you need to get into the real estate business or hire a tax accountant. More than 50 % of Americans don't pay taxes.

Hey Kudos, just a reminder that Trump is currently being audited for several tax years, it was not a random audit. He has been caught violating the tax laws before and that is why the IRS is currently all over him. Ironically, he is using this as an excuse to not release is tax returns! So smarten up and do your home before you spew lies and insults just like just your protégé!

Kudos: Wrong again
Hey Kudos, just a reminder that Trump is currently being audited for several tax years, it was not a random audit. He has been caught violating the tax laws before and that is why the IRS is currently all over him. Ironically, he is using this as an excuse to not release is tax returns! So smarten up and do your home before you spew lies and insults just like just your protégé!

How about our Sec of State who with her husband had pay to play going on with their foundations - they were broke when the left the White House but filthy rich several years later! Connect the friggin dots - dumb dumb!Oops forgot - Democrats don't see dots -

Republicans for Voldemort.

HAITI IS WHERE THE CLINTONS SHOULD MOVE! TRUMP IS THE MAN TO GET JOBS BACK AND THATS A START FOR ME! BILL CLINTON WILL BE AFTER ALL THE WOMEN LIKE HE STILL IS. HILLARY SHOULD OF LEFT HIM A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME AGO!

Roosevelt school is under stress! MBM has big Balls and should of been a guy maybe she is. Can anyone tell me if she has had a sex change?

I don't know if MBM principal at the Roosevelt has had a sex change, but she has driven more staff out! Ms.I, Ms.M, Ms.C and now the nurse she needs to go now! Parents it's only going to effect your children when staff are unhappy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10