Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School committee election

Anyone know which SC members' terms are up and whether they are running again this November? Any names floated as nominees to run for those spots?

Re: School committee election

Voter
Anyone know which SC members' terms are up and whether they are running again this November? Any names floated as nominees to run for those spots?

Vote all of them out!

There is not one decent member on the SC, and some are downright heinous. They all need to be voted out.

Heard a man from the Melrose Democratic Committee pulled papers for SC.

pulled papers
Heard a man from the Melrose Democratic Committee pulled papers for SC.

And you think that is a reason to be optimistic? Let's see who it is first!

McAllister Grande and Dugan's seats are up for reelection. Unfortunately, we are stuck with the OML violating, Public records law violating, anti-transparency/anti-public participation promoting Margaret Driscoll until 2020 unless she gets the prized business administrator position with MPS she has been promised by Dolan for being his attack dog as SC chair.

None of the three Incumbents (Casatelli, Dugan or McCallister Grande - sending her kids to The Charter School ) are running again. So, three new people will be elected. Hope many will run. The schools are a disaster. The Lincoln mommies are very unhappy that there will be another new principal. This will be the third one since BC left three years ago! What is the reason the current one is not returning?

I hope parents of MPS students put themselves on the line and run for office. I'm glad the 3 up for reelection have decided to fold their cards and go home. Maybe they can look themselves in the mirror again. They need to repent for going along to get along. The damaging ways and means of the SC have hurt so many people. New blood is needed. I pray that the newly elected SC members won't be complicit in continuing the dysfunction.

Three new members with the guts to defy Dolan and Margaret Driscoll's inane controlling edicts...Could you imagine progress?

Take back Democracy in Melrose
Three new members with the guts to defy Dolan and Margaret Driscoll's inane controlling edicts...Could you imagine progress?
No accountable

No accountable
Take back Democracy in Melrose
No accountable
No way

If there isn't any hope for accountability that changes can happen with new people coming on board, then the schools are truly doomed....parents deserve what they get, if they don't get involved....run yourselves and/or save money to pay for school elsewhere.

Once upon a time we had two, JDL and CCK, who put up a united front and there was a glimmer of hope. Then JDL bailed and left CKK all alone, and she had no chancc. It will take at least three to form an "opposition caucus" to make any meaningful difference, and frankly, as long as the Doughboy is on the SC, even that won't be enough, since Driscoll does exactly what he tells her to do, exactly when he tells her to do it. She won't risk putting her potential business manager job at risk. O'Connell is as useless as boobs on a basketball, so he's out. DeSelm might grow a pair (and before anyone gets all worked up about that, no insult was intended - it's a figure of speech) and step up, but I doubt it, since she has kids in the system and won't want to open the retaliation can or worms. The ONLY way things are going to get any better is: 1: getting Historic Incredible Mayor For Life Dolan off the SC, which requires a charter change, and 2: not electing Dictatorial I Hear Angels Singing Driscoll to the chair, then defeating her in 2020 when she's next up for reelection. Getting Exemplary Lucretia McNasty out of the Super's job wouldn't hurt, but it's really not critical. She works for the SC, although it sometimes seems like the other way around.

Why don't some of you that constantly complain on this Message Board about the Schools, School Committee, etc. run? You seem to have all the answers on how to do the job properly and "Make Melrose Schools Great Again", so now you have a great opportunity to make it happen. Carpe Diem as the expression goes.

However, my guess is, you won't.

How about you do the job????

Locomotive

I am not a Melrose resident.

Here's an Idea........
Why don't some of you that constantly complain on this Message Board about the Schools, School Committee, etc. run? You seem to have all the answers on how to do the job properly and "Make Melrose Schools Great Again", so now you have a great opportunity to make it happen. Carpe Diem as the expression goes.

However, my guess is, you won't.
The school committee members feel they are shielded from responsibility.Not Responsible for anything to do with the superintendent.Melrose pub schools.We all should look back 2014 2015 2016.LOOK AT THE NEWS ABOUT SUPERINTENDENT Cyndi Taymore .Incredible indeed. Unfortunately there are two sets of meanings for that word. There's the way Dolan constantly uses it, but people forget that it also means unbelievable, beyond belief, hard to believe, unconvincing, far-fetched, implausible, improbable, highly unlikely, dubious, doubtful, inconceivable, unthinkable, unimaginable, impossible, hard to swallow, cock-and-bull, bull$hit. The last is the most apropos.

Here's an Idea........
Locomotive

Maybe you are Melrose resident???

Locomotive
Here's an Idea........
Locomotive

Maybe you are Melrose resident???

Let me restate that I am NOT a Melrose Resident.

The parents are too busy sending each other pink birds. No courage to ask the needed questions. For example, why is the Lincoln Principal being let go and/or leaving of her own accord after two years? What is the "story behind the story"? When she was hired, she only had "acting principal" and "interim principal" experience. It was raised on this message board and in many conversations across town. It was pointed out at the time of her hire - Melrose can't attract experienced candidates because of the reputation of the SC, Super and City Government. Two new folks have pulled papers for SC. There are three openings. The MEF parents need to stop bragging about their "mini grants" and flocking (flogging) each other with pink plastic and step up and be counted. The MPS schools are not providing the education our children deserve. My kids/grandkids all went to St. Mary's, Malden Catholic and Nazareth.

Here are the two people that pulled papers so far:

Christian Hashem
http://facebook.com/HashemCampaign

Peter Navarra
http://facebook.com/Navarra4MelroseSchools

From Navarra's page:

"At the heart of every great community lies our schools. Melrose Public Schools already have a fantastic reputation for being some of the best in the state."

What? [sigh]

Not a good start for Peter; he has apparently bought the false narrative promulgated by the mayor, school committee and various local realtors that Melrose has top notch schools. ". From his Facebook page: "Melrose Public Schools already have a fantastic reputation for being some of the best in the state"

Still waiting for a contender who is going to look at the reality and be determined to improve our below average schools as compared to other area towns and cities of similar socio-economic status. Get real Pete and maybe we will buy in.

Oh, Boy
From Navarra's page:

"At the heart of every great community lies our schools. Melrose Public Schools already have a fantastic reputation for being some of the best in the state."

What? [sigh]

I agree. It really is necessary to admit we have subpar schools. There is no way to move forward until you admit your weaknesses and commit to fixing them. The school committee, mayor and local realtors parading around self congratulating each other gets us nowhere and has actually been detrimental over the last several years. Wake up Melrose!

Not much about Hashem on his page, but he looks pretty young, 19 maybe?. Seems to be staunch republican. I am all for a younger committee, but maybe a tad too young.

While Navarra seems to be towing the company line, the schools do have a reputation for being good. No one is looking deep enough. Seems he is taking a more optimistic pov. Looks to be part of the democrat committee.

We may have ourselves a partisian showdown!

We got a ways until this ends anyways.

Well, according to the Free Press MEF Mommie Jen McAndrew will be a candidate for SC. This is the same Jen MCAndrew who was such a vocal supporter of the Mayor's cockamamie override.

Here's a quote: Free Press - McAndrew said the school system is on the right track in many ways. "Melrose is a school district on the rise, making solid progress in the right direction, and we are privileged to live in this community,” she said. Jesus H. Christ!

Well, I know where one of my check marks will go - to ABM. Anybody But McAndrew. She makes even the Bobblehead look like an upgrade. If she wins we'll have to spring for a Momsen Lung so she will be able to breathe with her head up Dolan's and Tamore's butts.

Incumbants Out
None of the three Incumbents (Casatelli, Dugan or McCallister Grande - sending her kids to The Charter School ) are running again. So, three new people will be elected. Hope many will run. The schools are a disaster. The Lincoln mommies are very unhappy that there will be another new principal. This will be the third one since BC left three years ago! What is the reason the current one is not returning?

CT is setting a example with this principal and she was fired.

The one thing Melrose does NOT need is an MEF Mommie in any kind of decision-making position. They have their own agenda, and it is NOT compatible with what's best for the entire district.

Incumbants Out
The Lincoln mommies are very unhappy that there will be another new principal. This will be the third one since BC left three years ago! What is the reason the current one is not returning?

She was not qualified, was handed a dysfunctional can of worms, got no help from the Administration, and couldn't fix it on her own. Not a surprise, really - no qualified candidate would even consider working here. Taymore is a disaster, no doubt, but in the end this all falls squarely on Dolan's head, with a major assist going to the realtors, who commit what amounts to a fraud every time they sell a house after telling a prospective buyer how great the schools are when they know that's not the case. It's their own version of a Ponzi scheme, based on a pack of lies and phony awards and rankings. Just watch the rats jump off the sinking ship when it all comes apart, and it will come apart because it''s unsustainable.

Yup
The one thing Melrose does NOT need is an MEF Mommie in any kind of decision-making position. They have their own agenda, and it is NOT compatible with what's best for the entire district.

Would she have to cut ties with MEF? ? Conflict

Agree with voting for Anyone But McAndrew (ABM) She is like a cockroach. Does not go away.
Her relentless oppositional behavior during the override era was obnoxious. She lied about various financial figures. Outright lied. I'm only one vote but I will make certain she is not getting mine.

Resident
Yup

Would she have to cut ties with MEF? ? Conflict

When has an obvious conflict of interest ever stopped anybody? She will be the MEF mommy candidate. Probably sees herself as the next Katherine Clark.

They need to clean the swamp, bullies, the sneaks that lie for gain to a principal. The middle school has turned into that type of school with Brent as principal.

I am running for SC and my logo is," See Something Say Something" without being fired.

Depressed
The School Committee Candidacy of Jen McAndrew is a disaster for anyone interested in true change in the schools. She is a condescending "expert" who led MEF's Override campaign. She is close to Margaret Driscoll and the Mayor....very depressing!

She is perhaps one of the most supercilious, obnoxious people I've ever met. She wants it her way, every time all the time, and anyone who disagrees with her is treated like an idiot. She, like Dolan, believes she is some kind of education expert. She'll fit right in (already does, actually) with the rest of those nitwits. Hopefully voters will remember her actions vis a vie the override when they go into the voting booth, because she obviously didn't get the message when her idiotic override went down in flames 2-1.

Anybody But McAndrew gets my vote also.

ABM
Depressed
The School Committee Candidacy of Jen McAndrew is a disaster for anyone interested in true change in the schools. She is a condescending "expert" who led MEF's Override campaign. She is close to Margaret Driscoll and the Mayor....very depressing!

She is perhaps one of the most supercilious, obnoxious people I've ever met. She wants it her way, every time all the time, and anyone who disagrees with her is treated like an idiot. She, like Dolan, believes she is some kind of education expert. She'll fit right in (already does, actually) with the rest of those nitwits. Hopefully voters will remember her actions vis a vie the override when they go into the voting booth, because she obviously didn't get the message when her idiotic override went down in flames 2-1.

Anybody But McAndrew gets my vote also.

Many School Committee Candidacy were holding signs today in downtown with Diane Hogan in the middle is she running?

Don't vote for McAndrew, Zwirko or Navarro.....if Taymore's Rottweiler supports you.

Many School Committee Candidacy were holding signs today in downtown with Diane Hogan in the middle is she running?[/quote]

Diane Hogan is Cyndy Taymore's Executive Secretary. School committee members are essentially the superintendent's boss. They can hire and fire the superintendent. It is an ethics violation for Hogan to be politically supporting candidates for school committee that have the authority to hire or fire her boss, regardless of whether she is a resident of Melrose or not. This is downright outrageous if it is true, particularly if Dolan or Taymore told her to campaign for certain candidates supportive of the current superintendent. [:|]

You have every right to be concerned.What's going on in Melrose?

Hogan's Heroes
Don't vote for McAndrew, Zwirko or Navarro.....if Taymore's Rottweiler supports you.
Reality Check

"Ethics Violation" you are wrong wrong wrong. Read the rules - don't be an idiot. A public employee can hold a sign for whomever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, as long as they are not on work time or using their work resources to do so.

McAndrew is going to win her signs are everywhere. Here we go again Melrose.

The next honest zip code will be Saugus, MA 01906.

Paula
McAndrew is going to win her signs are everywhere. Here we go again Melrose.

I hope not. The only good thing to come of it will be the entertainment brought on by her & Driscoll jockeying for power. Both need to be superior to all others and there is only room at the top for one. Or so they think. Should get interesting.

Interesting to note that in all her campaign literature and interviews that McAndrews neglects to mention that she was the Chair Of the YES on the Override which was defeated 2 to 1

I looked up the word politics in the dictionary. It's actually a combination of two words: poli, which means many,and tics, which means bloodsuckers.