Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Message from Mayor Dolan

From the Boston Globe 3 hours ago: "Should Dolan vacate his seat to take the Lynnfield job prior to the start of the third year of his four-year term on Jan. 8, the Melrose charter provides that a special election would have to be called within 90 days to fill the seat. If the seat became vacant on Jan. 8 or after, it would be filled by the president of the Board of Aldermen, according to city solicitor Robert Van Campen."

Simply put, if Dolan is selected for the job and wants to keep the current President of the Board of Alderman and local Republican Don Conn from finishing out his term, he simply needs to vacate his seat before January 8th. That would force a special election which would probably result in a Democrat being elected.

Think we will know some time on Dec 20. 21, 2017 if the Mayor Dolan has the Lynnfield job.

All Hell Broke Loose at tonight's BOA!
"Mayor is leaving soon"
Tramontozzi (even announcing he is running for Mayor) Infurna and Mederios all challenging Zwirko for President of BOA.
Special election for Mayoral Vacancy announced before 3-15-2018.
Reappointments to Boards and Commissions to the Max years allowed even when term not expired?
Dolan "packing the system" with his people?
Loved when Gail Infurna stood up!
Tramontozzi and Mederios announced their challenge to Zwirko seated but Gail stood! She doesn't have a chance!
Confused about "immediate consideration" for Myoral election date proposed by Monica....then Frank Wright opposed it and Conn's last act referred it to "Committee on Appropriation" under state/city ordinance....politics is strange bedfellows in good old Melrose... Political jockeying and alliances being torpedoed before our eyes....2018 will be very interesting in dear sweet Melrose.....hopefully not as divisive as Washington DC

Let the games begin.

Decisions
All Hell Broke Loose at tonight's BOA!
"Mayor is leaving soon"
Tramontozzi (even announcing he is running for Mayor) Infurna and Mederios all challenging Zwirko for President of BOA.
Special election for Mayoral Vacancy announced before 3-15-2018.
Reappointments to Boards and Commissions to the Max years allowed even when term not expired?
Dolan "packing the system" with his people?
Loved when Gail Infurna stood up!
Tramontozzi and Mederios announced their challenge to Zwirko seated but Gail stood! She doesn't have a chance!
Confused about "immediate consideration" for Myoral election date proposed by Monica....then Frank Wright opposed it and Conn's last act referred it to "Committee on Appropriation" under state/city ordinance....politics is strange bedfellows in good old Melrose... Political jockeying and alliances being torpedoed before our eyes....2018 will be very interesting in dear sweet Melrose.....hopefully not as divisive as Washington DC
What don't you think Gail has a shot? She actually makes the most sense for the board as it stands.

John and Monica won't get near the 6 votes needed so they will drop for second ballot. Gail is the senior member. Anyone with the interest in running in 2 years would want Gail over Mike since he will basically back into being mayor for life. She will most likely not run in 2 years or would at least be easier to beat in an election.

If I were a betting man I would say Gail is the favorite.

GI is a dumb and game-playing bloviator. She's proven over many years that she doesn't grasp even some of the most basic concepts or care about a fair and open process. All she cares about is making sure everyone obeys the will of the mayor, and now she's hoping that person will be herself, with that $132,000 to ice the cake. She is totally ignorant when it comes to education, though she inserts herself into the antics of the school administration, feeling that she knows what's good for the system. She is ignorant and arrogant. So are most of them. GI would be about the worst possible choice with her lethal ignorance and arrogance (with the possible exception of her best bud, equally arrogant and ignorant MBMM, who fortunately will be gone, gone gone).

Oh, Boy!
Let the games begin.
If Mayor Dolan has the Lynnfield job.

By John Laidler Globe Correspondent December 12, 2017

Robert J. Dolan, who has been mayor of Melrose since 2002, has been named one of two finalists in the search for a new town administrator in Lynnfield.

On Monday, Dec. 12, a search committee sent the names of Dolan and Robert J. Curtin as the finalists to replace outgoing Town Administrator James Boudreau, who is resigning to become town administrator in Scituate, according to Board of Selectman Chairman Christopher J. Barrett, who chaired the screening panel.

The board is set to interview the finalists at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 20.
Advertisement

Curtin has been assistant to administration in Lynnfield for eight years and was recently named by selectmen to become acting town manager effective Monday, Dec. 18. Boudreau’s last day in Lynnfield is Friday, Dec. 15.
Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning

Dolan’s decision to seek the Lynnfield job came as a surprise in Melrose, where he is in the midst of his third four-year term after three two-year terms.

“Due to the recently announced departure of the Lynnfield town administrator, an unanticipated and unique opportunity arose for me and my family,” Dolan said in a statement. “I chose to explore the position due to the professional opportunity it presents, and I am honored to have been named a finalist for the position of Lynnfield town administrator.

“After much reflection, I have decided to continue on with the process. I have had the privilege of serving the citizens of Melrose for 24 years as an elected official and 16 as mayor. As the selection process continues to unfold, I will keep the citizens of Melrose up to date every step of the way,”

Dolan currently earns $131,000 as mayor of Melrose. Lynnfield advertised the town administrator’s job as $160,000 or more depending on qualifications and experience.
Advertisement

A past president of the Massachusetts Mayors Association, Dolan is currently vice president of the Massachusetts Municipal Association.

“We all love him. We’re sad because it’s our loss if he goes,” said Melrose City Clerk Mary Rita O’Shea. “But we’re happy for him.”

Prior to becoming assistant to administration, Curtin was editor of the Lynnfield-Peabody Weekly News for 20 years.

“I’m thankful to the board and the screening committee for the consideration,” Curtin said of being named a finalist. “I love working in the town of Lynnfield and I look forward to the rest of the process.”

Barrett said Dolan and Curtin were among 38 applicants for the job. A consultant, former Lowell town manager Bernard Lynch, narrowed the list to nine, four of whom were interviewed by the committee. The panel then selected three finalists, one of whom withdrew.
Advertisement

“Both are very impressive,” Barrett said of the finalists. “They both bring something very important to the table for us to consider.

“Bob is an outstanding public servant for the town of Lynnfield,” Barrett said of Curtin. “He’s dedicated, knows Lynnfield well, and I’m confident he’d be an effective town administrator.” Barrett said Dolan “has done a great job for the community of Melrose since 2002. . . . He’s made it one of the go-to communities for people who want to live and raise a family. “

There have been several instances of elected mayors in the region later becoming appointed managers, including former Salem mayor Neil J. Harrington, who is now Salisbury Town Manager, and former Malden Mayor Richard C. Howard, who is Winchester town manager.

Should Dolan vacate his seat to take the Lynnfield job prior to the start of the third year of his four-year term on Jan. 8, the Melrose charter provides that a special election would have to be called within 90 days to fill the seat. If the seat became vacant on Jan. 8 or after, it would be filled by the president of the Board of Aldermen, according to city solicitor Robert Van Campen.

The current president, Donald L. Conn Jr., lost his bid for reelection in November and is leaving office Jan. 8. In a Dec. 4 nonbinding caucus, the future board chose Michael P. Zwirko to become its next president, with a formal vote set to take place when the board reorganizes Jan. 8.Dolan’s decision to seek the Lynnfield job came as a surprise in Melrose, where he is in the midst of his third four-year term after three two-year terms.

“Due to the recently announced departure of the Lynnfield town administrator, an unanticipated and unique opportunity arose for me and my family,” Dolan said in a statement. “I chose to explore the position due to the professional opportunity it presents, and I am honored to have been named a finalist for the position of Lynnfield town administrator.

“After much reflection, I have decided to continue on with the process. I have had the privilege of serving the citizens of Melrose for 24 years as an elected official and 16 as mayor. As the selection process continues to unfold, I will keep the citizens of Melrose up to date every step of the way,”

Dolan currently earns $131,000 as mayor of Melrose. Lynnfield advertised the town administrator’s job as $160,000 or more depending on qualifications and experience. A past president of the Massachusetts Mayors Association, Dolan is currently vice president of the Massachusetts Municipal Association.

“We all love him. We’re sad because it’s our loss if he goes,” said Melrose City Clerk Mary Rita O’Shea. “But we’re happy for him.”

Prior to becoming assistant to administration, Curtin was editor of the Lynnfield-Peabody Weekly News for 20 years.

“I’m thankful to the board and the screening committee for the consideration,” Curtin said of being named a finalist. “I love working in the town of Lynnfield and I look forward to the rest of the process.”

Barrett said Dolan and Curtin were among 38 applicants for the job. A consultant, former Lowell town manager Bernard Lynch, narrowed the list to nine, four of whom were interviewed by the committee. The panel then selected three finalists, one of whom withdrew.Both are very impressive,” Barrett said of the finalists. “They both bring something very important to the table for us to consider.

“Bob is an outstanding public servant for the town of Lynnfield,” Barrett said of Curtin. “He’s dedicated, knows Lynnfield well, and I’m confident he’d be an effective town administrator.” Barrett said Dolan “has done a great job for the community of Melrose since 2002. . . . He’s made it one of the go-to communities for people who want to live and raise a family. “

There have been several instances of elected mayors in the region later becoming appointed managers, including former Salem mayor Neil J. Harrington, who is now Salisbury Town Manager, and former Malden Mayor Richard C. Howard, who is Winchester town manager.

Should Dolan vacate his seat to take the Lynnfield job prior to the start of the third year of his four-year term on Jan. 8, the Melrose charter provides that a special election would have to be called within 90 days to fill the seat. If the seat became vacant on Jan. 8 or after, it would be filled by the president of the Board of Aldermen, according to city solicitor Robert Van Campen.

The current president, Donald L. Conn Jr., lost his bid for reelection in November and is leaving office Jan. 8. In a Dec. 4 nonbinding caucus, the future board chose Michael P. Zwirko to become its next president, with a formal vote set to take place when the board reorganizes Jan. 8.

John Laidler can be reached at laidler@globe.com.

A faceoff in Lynnfield
December 19, 2017

inShare

Faceoff is one of those words tailor-made to stir up excitement, and the faceoff between two candidates for the Lynnfield Town Administrator job tonight deserves to draw an audience when the Board of Selectmen begins interviewing the contenders at 6 p.m. in MarketStreet’s Al Merritt meeting room.

Board Chairman Christopher Barrett and his fellow selectmen have an interesting decision to make. One of the contenders for outgoing Administrator James Boudreau’s job is Robert Dolan, the mayor of Melrose who was first elected in 2002. The other finalist is Robert Curtin, a well-known name around town and assistant to the town administrator for the past eight years.

The contenders’ contrasting backgrounds and experience puts the selectmen at a crossroads when it comes to deciding the direction the town should go and who is best suited as administrator to take it in that direction.

Curtin knows Lynnfield inside and out as a town official and local newspaper editor (Lynnfield Weekly News). He knows the selectmen, the priorities they have set and, most important, he knows what Lynnfield people think about and how they feel about the town.

Mayors don’t often seek out town government jobs but Dolan has managed to survive a screening committee and hiring consultant review to be a finalist for the administrator job.

His long tenure in office speaks to his popularity in Melrose and his understanding of municipal affairs. Being mayor of even a small city involves gaining a working knowledge of state and federal government and making connections with legislators, even members of Congress.

It also means grasping an understanding of budget crafting, state and federal laws that translate into expensive local mandates and gaining experience with labor unions and liability laws. All that experience doesn’t mean Dolan can jump from a mayorship to the administrator’s job with seamless ease.

Curtin, on the other hand, is the candidate who can simply walk a few feet from his Town Hall desk to the one now used by Boudreau. He is also, in many respects, the person best positioned to know the pressing matters now occupying Boudreau’s inbox and Curtin knows the concerns, including finances, sure to be priorities in 2018 for the Board of Selectmen and the new administrator.

Town government is inclined more often than not to subscribe to the time-honored “if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it” school of thought. With Boudreau headed to presumably greener pastures on the South Shore, Curtin is certainly equipped to keep Lynnfield on a steady course. Then again, with plans for a new library underway and a public safety building on the horizon, maybe a candidate with city government skills is a better fit for the administrator job.

The selectmen will have plenty of questions to ask Curtin and Dolan but the most important questions will be the ones they ask each other. They were elected to serve on the board with a mandate from town voters. Now they must ask themselves and their fellow board members how they should carry out that mandate when it comes to hiring a new administrator.

Dolan and Curtin. Wednesday Dec 20 2017; Beginningy at 6 P.M .At the Al Merritt Center and Cultural Center'600 Market ST Lynnfield mass.

Dolan got the position but they still have to go through the fake process. Much like when someone has got the job but they still post the position and do interviews. Goodbye Doughboy. You fu℃ked Smelrose royally. Glad to see you go. Next Paymore. With the multi laws suits, OCR, MCAD pending our city will be bankrupt. It's already morally bankrupt and a racist community most prevalent in our school system.

The scandals that will follow #MikeToo if he gets into the mayor's office will embarrass Melrose.

There is more going on her than meets the eye. Dolan spends his entire political career setting things up so that he would effectively be Mayor for Life. Then all of a sudden he decides to toss all that and apply in Lynnfield, saying it's an opportunity for "professional advancement".

Hogwash. When the $hit is about to hit the fan, and you bail, you get hit with less of the blowby. Is it more money in Lynnfield? Sure, but it's a whole lot less power. He will have to answer to and take direction from their Selectmen, whereas now he answers to nobody. Don't understate the importance of power to Dolan. It's more important to him than the money. So the question becomes why now? What is he trying to distance himself from? What does he know that we don't yet know?

More to Come is a fool. I'm sure he is right and it has nothing to do with the $200,000 salary that goes along with the position. His raise will be more than the idiots on this board make in a year.

Speaking of fools - the advertised salary is $160,000+, not $200,000.00. You really should have your facts straight if you're going to retreat into spin mode. Additionally, Dolan is an egomaniacal narcissist. The power does mean more to him than the money.

I have to agree with Oh, Really?. As someone who has been inside and has seen Dolan operate behind closed doors, it's also clear to me that it's the power that attracts him. Money is secondary.

He also knows that bailing before the storm offers some protection from accountability and responsibility. One of the chief members of his administration demonstrated that when he fled Plymouth for Melrose just before all hell broke loose over Plymouth's water disaster. Where's that money, Patrick?

Honestly though, I'd be moderately surprised if Lynnfield chooses him over the local guy, Curtin, who by all accounts has done a good job there for years, and seems to be well-liked.

Well, color me moderately surprised. Dolan was voted in by a 3-0 vote. He's expected to start in February. So we find out right away how he wants to see his successor appointed. If he resigns within 2 weeks there'll be a special election. Let's hope that's the way it goes. But, he could stay on longer and leave the seat up for grabs to the aldermen who have declared for the Presidency, and that prospect has me a little concerned.

It also raises a few concerns for others, too. How many of the Dolan hangers-on will still have jobs when the new Mayor takes office?

Is baaaack

Here we go with the full on Bozo Brigade coming to Melrose. You losers were completely wrong in the November elections...again. Your candidates got routed, again. But the good news is you can all dress up in your clown suits, get the big rubber feet out, honk those noses and get Monica elected to the big seat. The moment you have all been waiting for has arrived. MM can move out of Mom's basement and get a real job. The silent majority represented on the anonymous blog can all assemble in the 3 ring circus and Make Melrose Great Again. Clown Patrol will be watching. Let the Circus begin.

Re: Is baaaack

Great. You again. Well, guess what phlegmwad? Bottom line - Dolan is leaving. That's what we wanted, and that's what we're getting. Who gives a rat's a$$ what the reason is?

Who said anything about wanting Monica to be Mayor? I'm hoping Dolan does the right thing and resigns in time to force a special election. Perhaps then we'll get a qualified candidate to vote for. As far as I'm concerned, nobody on the B of A fits that bill.

You people are complete losers. Happy Dolan's gone but no one else in City government is qualified. Nominate one of your own. You can be anonymous...wear a clown mask to all the debates. Get your candidates ready...lets see who walks through the door. Its good to be back. It got boring sh*tting all over you losers but this whole new Mayor thing will make it fun again. No answers from the Bozo's when victory is within their grasps. What a shocker.

Well, you're predictable, at least. You can't even reference a comment without changing it to fit your foolish ravings. I didn't say no one in city government is qualified. I said no one on the B of A is qualified. That seems simple enough to me. What part about that escapes you?

He's got it
Dolan got the position but they still have to go through the fake process. Much like when someone has got the job but they still post the position and do interviews. Goodbye Doughboy. You fu℃ked Smelrose royally. Glad to see you go. Next Paymore. With the multi laws suits, OCR, MCAD pending our city will be bankrupt. It's already morally bankrupt and a racist community most prevalent in our school system.
I hate to say I told you so. Fixed!!! Personally I'm glad he's gone, gonna be, but he stuck us with Taymore. Rated her (proficient/excels) on her eval. Now the truth. If he didn't vote that way for her, she would have been let go. Then, she would have exposed all the skeletons in his/their closet and that's the game folks! Also abandoning ship within this year. Chris LeDux, Financial Asst. to Farrell. LeDux, a wonderful, honest woman. Farrell, not so much. Actually, not at all, ask the Mosses. Eve Hogan, Administrative Assistant to Patti White-Lambright, Asst. Superintendent for PPS. Hogan nice decent person. Patti, do I really need to say it folks? She's applied everywhere and NO ONE would hire her. Both woman who work the office for Donna Rosso, Director of the ECC (Patti brought her friend in). Can't say enough about them nor find two more competent, wonderful women. Rosso, spurious smile, like the joker. Be careful of what's behind the mask. Where's that Bat signal when you need it. Teachers, Paraprofessionals, abandoning a sinking, rat-infested ship (both literally and figuratively). Some worry about the winter and snow storms. Wait til the shi+ storm hits. Maybe Taymore will ask her pal Dragon Driscoll to get her hubby to get her another fake award as he did shortly after Taymore, White-Lambright, The Melrose School Committee and Baline were found guilty on four counts by the Office of Civil Rights. Thank you to the morally decent citizen who reported that disgraceful, racist, illegal behavior. As most of us know, that person probably suffered severe blow back for doing the right thing. P.S. You can read the OCR report online but I will have to warn you it will make you sick.

The most outrageous behavior is not even in the report. OCR investigators cherry picked the easily winnable complaints of the dozen or so that they received that year. Most complaints concerned abusive behavior towards children with disabilities by staff, upper level administrators and city legal counsel. The complaints had a common theme: Retaliation against those who filed complaints with the district:

Child makes a complaint of inappropriate behavior/civil rights violation by an educator.

Principal does nothing to resolve the complaint and instead retaliates against the child hoping the child will back off on their complaint.

Parents become involved and complain to principal. Again, no action to resolve complaint and principal now retaliates against the parents, usually in the form of a false police report or threat to call DCF on parents, or loss of rights to attend school events and volunteer at school. Again, this is all in the hopes that parents will back away on their complaint.

Parents then complain to Superintendent regarding illegal conduct by teacher and principal. Superintendent then instructs city legal counsel to scare away the parents.

City counsel then contacts parents and falsely claims they or/and their child is harassing the teacher, principal and/or superintendent and that a summons to appear in district court on harassment charges will result if parents continue to pursue their complaint. In some instances city legal counsel will skip this step and get summons for parents and/or child to appear in district court on harassment charges. This, of course is all criminal behavior by the district and city legal counsel, also known as criminal extortion, defined by Mass law as the malicious threat by a person of authority using powers invested in him to falsely accuse another of a crime with the intent to compel a person to act against his will or extort pecuniary advantage.

The Rest of the Story is telling the absolute truth!!! I know of one particular family trying to make the school abide by their child's IEP. The superintendent didn't just sick the schools attorney or city solicitor on the family. The outside, big bucks law firm they hired after the OCR guilty finding, senior partner sent them notification of legal action. I read it myself. In the end because the school was in violation and the parents held their ground requesting an expedited hearing, the district had no other choice but to back down. All the evidence against the schools violations were in writing. Keep all your records. If there is a correspondence book remove the reports every week. Document, document, document. Melrose administration does not care about your children. It's about lining their pockets, intimidation, retaliation, smearing reputations, lying, cover ups. This IS our school district. It is not every principal, teacher or para. It's about a dozen or so who have and abuse their power and position. The cover ups are like Watergate, follow the money. Greedy mother******* who prey on our children. God's Truth!!!

Mayor Dolan comes out let us know if he got the job.

Dillon
\"Dear Colleagues,

Due to the recently announced departure of the Lynnfield Town Administrator, an unanticipated and unique opportunity arose for me and my family. I chose to explore the position due to the professional opportunity it presents, and I am honored to have been named a finalist for the position of Lynnfield Town Administrator. After much reflection, I have decided to continue on with the process. I have had the privilege of serving the citizens of Melrose and working with you for 24 years as an elected official and 16 as mayor. As the selection process continues to unfold, I will keep you up to date every step of the way.

Thank you,

Rob Dolan\"

:)

By Matthew Reid
mreid@wickedlocal.com
Posted Dec 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Updated Dec 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM

By a unanimous 3-0 vote, the Lynnfield Board of Selectmen named Melrose Mayor Rob Dolan as the town’s new Town Administrator at their meeting Wednesday, Dec. 20.

Dolan was one of two finalists for the position, along with current Lynnfield Assistant to the Administration Robert Curtin, who had been the interim Town Administrator since the departure of James M. Boudreau earlier this month.

A screening committee set up to review applicants reported nearly 40 candidates came forward for the position. Of those, a consultant recommended nine candidates, which the committee narrowed down to four.

In the end, it was Dolan’s experience running the city of Melrose, including his work overseeing the city’s budget, that made him the chosen candidate.

″[Seeking the Lynnfield Town Administrator job] was not a decision I made lightly, but from a professional standpoint it was one I felt was best for me and my family,” Dolan told the Free Press leading up to the meeting Wednesday. In a statement to the people of Melrose, he added, “I have had the privilege of serving the citizens of Melrose for 24 years as an elected official and 16 as mayor.”

He referred to the Lynnfield job as an “unanticipated and unique opportunity.”

Dolan has been Mayor of Melrose since 2002. He graduated from Melrose High School in 1989 and was a member of the Melrose School Committee from 1994 to 1998. From 1998 to 2002 he served on the Board of Aldermen as Alderman-At-Large, and was President of the Board in 2001.

MELORSE, MA — There are Melrosians driving cars today that have never known life without Mayor Robert Dolan in charge. Now, after Dolan was unanimously approved as Lynnfield Town Administrator in a Wednesday night meeting, all eyes are on who will be next.

Dolan's 16-year-run indisputably transformed Melrose. While there is much to reflect on and celebrate, many are now asking who will take his place.

Much hinges on just when Dolan vacates the Mayor's office.

Melrose is going through some major changes! Subscribe to Melrose Patch for free for more local news and real-time alerts.

The City Charter states that if a vacancy occurs within the first two years of a term, then a special election will be held within 90 days of the vacancy. The winner of that election would hold the office until the initial term of the original mayor was set to expire.

If the office becomes vacant after the beginning of the mayor's third year, the president of the Board of Aldermen would assume the role of mayor. You can read the Section 3-10 of the City Charter below.

The third year of Dolan's four-year term would begin Jan. 8. The Mayor's office told Patch the date Dolan would vacate office is still undetermined.

Dolan is expected to start in Lynnfield in early February.

President Donald Conn Jr. lost his reelection bid in November and will leave office Jan. 8. The incoming board chose Mike Zwirko to succeed Conn on Dec. 4, but that was in a nonbonding caucus. A formal vote will take place on Jan. 8, and it's now looking like a more competitive race.

The Melrose Free Press reports Aldermen John Tramontozzi, Gail Infurna, and Monica Medeiros will be vying for the presidency now that it could essentially be a vote for mayor.

While some residents may be surprised to hear a person who was never on the mayoral ballot may be running the city, the City Charter makes the process clear. The charter was recently reviewed, and Patch was told the provision regarding a mayoral vacancy was not brought up for consideration.

Subscribe to Melrose Patch for more free local news and real-time alerts

SECTION 3-10: VACANCY IN OFFICE OF MAYOR

(a) Special Election - If a vacancy in the office of mayor occurs during the first 2 years of the term for which the mayor is elected, whether by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, incapacity, or otherwise, the board of aldermen shall immediately, in the manner provided in section 7-1, order a special election to be held within 90 days following the date the vacancy is created, to fill the vacancy for the balance of the then unexpired term. If a regular city election is to be held within 120 days following the date the vacancy is created a special election need not be held and the position shall be filled by vote at such regular election.

(b) President of Aldermen To Serve As Mayor - If a vacancy in the office of mayor occurs in the third or fourth year of the term for which the mayor is elected, whether by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, or otherwise, the president of the board of aldermen shall become the mayor. Upon the qualification of the president of the board of aldermen as the mayor, under this section, a vacancy shall exist in that seat on the board of aldermen which shall be filled in the manner provided in section 2-11. A president serving as mayor under this subsection shall not be subject to the restrictions contained in the third sentence of section 3-1(a), nor shall that person be entitled to have the words "candidate for re-election" printed against their name on the election ballot.

(c) Powers, Term of Office - The mayor elected under Section 3-10(a) or (b) shall have all the powers of the mayor. A person elected under subsection (a), shall serve for the balance of the term unexpired at the time of election to the office. A person chosen under subsection (b), shall serve until the time of the next regular election at which time the person elected to fill the office for the ensuing term of office shall serve, in addition, for the balance of the then unexpired term.

Be careful what you wish for Lynnfield residents, teacher, administration. You voted for him good luck glad he is leaving Melrose. The city will let you know the damage he has done. Last laugh is on you.

Gail Infurna, our new mayor. Better start praying for our city and schools. An RD and CT sycophant. When Casey was leaving we were hoping for a step up. Someone said to me be careful what you pray for. Look what we got stuck with, CT. We thought RD was bad. Watch the $hit fly with this GI series. I'm done praying.

Dillon
Gail Infurna, our new mayor. Better start praying for our city and schools. An RD and CT sycophant. When Casey was leaving we were hoping for a step up. Someone said to me be careful what you pray for. Look what we got stuck with, CT. We thought RD was bad. Watch the \\\$hit fly with this GI series. I\\\'m done praying.
Well, another ugly spectacle and two years of gross stupidity at the helm. Maybe she can play taps for the city, which will continue down the tubes. This woman simply gushes about Taymore, who hung the moon as far as she's concerned. Cyndy was worried about this vote and showed up to watch. Grover and a bunch of the worst Dolanites were there waiting with baited breath. Let the games begin anew. Dolan should feel relieved that whatever is buried in the cemetery "timeshare" program will likely stay that way for now, though Spencer's oil tanks might just float up in the next big rainstorm.... Prepare for lots more expensive litigation because this woman is as ignorant of the law as she is an arrogant and flagrant violator. She'll probably keep Vanny safely in his role, blithering nonsensical and wrong interpretations, which will jack up the legal costs on all counts. She has utter contempt for anyone not "on the team," as she (or Rob) defines it, so labor relations will be really fun to watch come apart at the seams even more than they did under Melrose's own Small Button. Just so gross.
Hmm hmm

GI Distress

Well, Tweedledum is now the mayor. Maybe, despite Dean Wormer's advice, fat, drunk and stupid IS the way to go through life!

What I'm wondering about is Tweedledum's partner in crime, Tweedledee M-M. With great fanfare she left her elected office; does anyone want to bet that her future is tied up in an appointed city position? Those three highest-paid years are all that matter!

Re: GI Distress

Ringo
Well, Tweedledum is now the mayor. Maybe, despite Dean Wormer's advice, fat, drunk and stupid IS the way to go through life!

What I'm wondering about is Tweedledum's partner in crime, Tweedledee M-M. With great fanfare she left her elected office; does anyone want to bet that her future is tied up in an appointed city position? Those three highest-paid years are all that matter!

No, age and years of service also matter. That gives you your percentage. Then the highest three is used. It is important, but not as important as the percentage.

How you feeling now that Gail won?

Pretty shocked GI won...although I think she will be a fine steward for the next 2 years. I do find it hard to believe that the Board of Alderman decided to grant a pension for a lifetime of $60,000+ per year for 2 years as interim Mayor. What I found more alarming was the issue never came up in the discussion at the Alderman's meeting. $1,000,000+ over the next 20 years seems fiscally reckless and an abuse of the pension system and the tax payers money. The reason stated for avoiding a special election was cost, maybe $20,000, which pales in comparison to an undeserved pension with a cost that will exceed $1,000,000. Alderman should be asked to explain why the issue was never raised.

It's clear that few understand how the pension system actually works. She will not get a $60,000 pension.
Pensions are calculated on three variables: average of last three year's earnings, length of service, and age. Let's take a hypothetical employee X, who is 55 years old, and has 20 years of service to the city in a qualified position. Also, let's ballpark pay over the last three years - 2 years as Mayor and 1 year as Alderman - say $260,000. The average salary would calculate to roughly $86,666. Based on age and length of service, her retirement percentage would be 30%, or $25,999 a year.

Now, is that amount justifiable? For life? Of course not. You're right in your assessment that the B of A should have been aware of this, but my sense is that they were, which doesn't say much for them. But the person really responsible is that duplicitous maggot who currently occupies the Mayor's office. If he had done the right thing and resigned before his third year started, we wouldn't owe her for the two years as Mayor, reducing her pension to next to nothing. But no - Doughboy Dolan wanted his last month's salary, and in getting it he cost the City $30,000 a year for Infurna's lifetime.

For years people on this board have been trying to get people to understand what an unprincipled scumbag he is. If this doesn't prove it,nothing will.

Forget yesterday—it has already forgotten you. Don't sweat tomorrow—you haven't even met. Instead, open your eyes to invariable mark of wisdom, The highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.Appreciation builds bridges and fosters healthy relationships. But how many of us remember to do so?Good luck Mayor Dolan .

Right. I'm going to just totally forget how Dolan for years has stuck it up the taxpayers' butts at every opportunity. I'm going to spend the next twenty years appreciating how GI is collecting $30K a year for life - again at taxpayers' expense - so he could collect one more $10K paycheck rather than resign in time for us to have a special election.

What are you smoking? I want some.

"Dolan should feel relieved that whatever is buried in the cemetery "timeshare" program will likely stay that way for now, though Spencer's oil tanks might just float up in the next big rainstorm.... "

Ah, someone who knows of other "dirt" in the cemetery.

Hint to Mike Zwirko: if you want any chance of being elected in 2 years, you're going to have to rip off the shroud that was so quickly laid over the cemetery scandal and expose the many nasty bits that fit into that miasma. You're going to need to burn bridges with protected insiders.

The buried oil tanks is one of the City's worst kept "secrets".

Re: Melrose Alderman Tramontozzi explains his vote.

The following was submitted by Ward One Alderman John Tramontozzi.
I want to express my thanks and appreciation for the support of the people of Melrose, and look forward to continued service to Melrose as your Alderman. I am honored by your faith in me these past 12 years as well as your overwhelming support this past uncontested election yielding the greatest number of votes for any (contested or uncontested) Ward Alderman this past year. The knowledge of your confidence in me is tremendously encouraging and deeply appreciated.
In December, Mike Zwirko asserted his eagerness to be board President, noting that he topped the ticket in the at-large elections. Though only two years into service, we (Board of Aldermen) unanimously supported that request. The events that followed his non-binding nomination were so unlikely as to be laughable, if they hadn’t come to pass. However, we as a Board, had both the opportunity and responsibility, to readdress the leadership of the city, incorporating our knowledge of the situation at hand. Having been a past president of the Board of Aldermen, and seen the city through an electrical blackout, assisting Citizens many elderly out of darkened flooded homes and buildings, as well as day to day functions, I understand that Board President is a great responsibility. That responsibility is multiplied hundredfold in the given situation, and it would be negligent to place that responsibility on untried shoulders. In addition, I believed, and still believe, that I would bring to the office the greatest combination of strengths.
I had been looking for ways in which I could become more engaged in the administration of the city, and this offered an opportunity to make a real contribution. I offered 12 years of experience on the board, chairing and serving in numerous capacities and committees, 35 years of legal expertise both as a DA and an attorney in private practice here in Melrose, and intimate knowledge of the City, born not only from my professional engagement but as a an active member of this community. I raised/am raising conscientious and active citizens who have been active advocates for change and compassion, Student Representatives Melrose Substance Abuse Coalition, Coordinating the citywide peanut butter Valentine Drive for Servants Heart Pantry (for 10 years!) active support of the Melrose Alliance against Violence, SAAD, the Melrose Veterans Memory Project, and numerous other community contributions all while attending the Melrose public schools. I know those schools and committed to their success and the success of Melrose .Most importantly, I knew that I have demonstrated that no matter how hot headed the situation, I treat people from all political and personal persuasions with respect and equality. This generates a collaborative spirit, and is critical for an affective administrator.
Although I am considering the possibility of a 2019 mayoral candidacy I am not committing to that course at this time. I think it is in the best interest of the city to put our full concentration on the tasks at hand. I am honored and pleased to continue to bring these experiences and qualities to my role as Ward One Alderman.
The decision to place my support behind Gail Infurna was an extremely difficult one both for my knowledge of myself and my respect for Aldermen Zwirko and Medeiros. I still believe that Mike brings great energy and intelligence to the board, and anticipate he will continue to bring these qualities to our meetings. Ms. Medeiros has a true sense of mission and integrity. I look forward to working with both of them and the rest of the board in the coming years. However I have known and worked with Gail Infurna for as long as I have been on the Board. I have utmost respect for her capability and her ability to guide us through the next two years. I believe her commitment to an open election in 2019 is in the best interest of the voters in Melrose.
I offer Congratulations to Board President and soon Mayor Gail Infurna. Her integrity and many years of honorable committed service to the City of Melrose have earned my respect and led the Board of Alderman to unanimously choose her to lead Melrose through the next two years. I know I will, and encourage the Board of Aldermen and current Administration, to give Mayor Infurna our full support. Let us continue the tradition and good work of outgoing Mayor Dolan who deserves our gratitude and respect. I wish him success in his future endeavors.

Let us keep our City focused on the present and not be distracted by the thought of the next Mayoral election. Let us focus on keeping Melrose the most desirable place to live and raise a family, “a community open to all.”

JT = another phony do-nothing spineless suit

Did you watch him behave like the rest of the jerks Thurs night in denying the public a right to vote for mayor in a special election? He sounded like a babbling idiot (just like the city solicitor and even worse Mortimer) talking about the "laws of the Commonwealth" and other assorted unadulterated BS. The board could have sent a special petition to the state legislature if it wanted, but in fact they are all butt-kissers who are now firmly entrenched in the newest butt taking the helm, and the wanted to make sure that pesky public didn't mess up their meal tickets. Frauds and hucksters all (except MM)!

They also could have begun the process of amending the charter too, but they wimped out on that also.

I was particularly impressed by Morty's assertion that some people can handle being drunk and that a good cop would let those people go. What a freaking nitwit.

Mortimer's probably thinking that someone filled with free food can handle alcohol better.

Speaking of food, at a committee meeting, Morty asked the new owners of D'Amici's if they brought any samples, and he got all excited when they said they were adding French pastries to their menu.

A Community Open To All???????

In order to preserve his Mayor for Life status, (if he so chooses) Dolan changed the City Charter several years ago (with help from his aldermanic friends) so that they cannot be engaged in any other business, occupation or profession during the period of service as mayor. That effectively rules out the majority of the qualified residents in the City.

A Community Open To All?