Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????

Thinking before you speak or do something. It's about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It's about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day. But will the school committee make good decisions and the superintendent Cyndy Taymore? It is time to fire The Superintendent Cyndy Taymore.

The four principal CT put in three years ago are driving the expensive teachers OUT! You get what you pay for. The winthrop school so many have left.

Relating to or containing people from different ethnicities and social backgrounds; a diverse workforce. Not in the city of melrose.

Thats nice that MF is not the principal at the HS. Now she is the buisness manager? Is this true?

Oh yes its true CT will be telling her what to do thats a joke! Only in Melrose.

Only the good ones are leaving Melrose the ones that should be going are here to stay. They are yelling at your kids and telling anything and everything to get ahead. Melrose is not paying teachers a good salary look and see.

only the good
Only the good ones are leaving Melrose the ones that should be going are here to stay. They are yelling at your kids and telling anything and everything to get ahead. Melrose is not paying teachers a good salary look and see.

Try again - a majority of teachers don't stay because of pay - school environment, culture, and admin support - none of which we have in Melrose - that's why teachers are leaving!

I agree sorry not all teachers yell at the students.

When MF was principal she wound not even help teachers if they asked for it.

The four that CT hired three years ago are at the HS, Winthrop, Roosevelt and Horace Mann. Let them gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What happened to the great teacher at the Roosevelt. She is still my son's favorite teacher Mrs. Ingram. We will miss her great way of teaching. I am sure they drove her out. More staff leaving.

Teachers wanted Mr. Brady. CT picked who teachers didn't want. Mrs. Ingram didn't leave. Marybeth is not fit for that school or position. She is not kind and she didn't have enough experience. She never tells the truth. Or make's like she did you a favor. Please Cyndi listen as a concerned parent with children at the Roosevelt.

Mr.Brady
Teachers wanted Mr. Brady. CT picked who teachers didn't want. Mrs. Ingram didn't leave. Marybeth is not fit for that school or position. She is not kind and she didn't have enough experience. She never tells the truth. Or make's like she did you a favor. Please Cyndi listen as a concerned parent with children at the Roosevelt.

Forget the plead - Cyndy is all about Cyndy!

Another one leaving MHS. Going to be a sad day for all. Children love her and she loves them. I will miss this teacher also.

Another one leaving
Another one leaving MHS. Going to be a sad day for all. Children love her and she loves them. I will miss this teacher also.

Whose leaving now?

Whose what? Or did you mean "who's"?

Prof. Correctipants Jr.
Whose what? Or did you mean "who's"?

Thank you Professor ! I stand corrected! I meant Who is, or who's .

No matter how you look at it they have had enough.

OK another Melrose resident will be hired.

Now that Dolan virtually controls the school committee, he is using that influence to put local loyalists on the school payroll, thus consolidating his power base. Between that and the city charter changes that prevent local business owners and private practicioners from running for mayor without selling their businesses, I would say he has a firm grip oround the city's neck for years to come. Time to change the Charter

Agree totally.

No matter how vigorously the local realtors lie/aka "represent" the state of the city and schools, there is no covering up of the stench this SC and administration have created. It's a mess, and changing the charter is a necessary first step in fixing it.

patronage hacks
Now that Dolan virtually controls the school committee, he is using that influence to put local loyalists on the school payroll, thus consolidating his power base. Between that and the city charter changes that prevent local business owners and private practicioners from running for mayor without selling their businesses, I would say he has a firm grip oround the city's neck for years to come. Time to change the Charter

I don't get it. In one statement, you say that Dolan makes to much $$ and you lambast the 26% raise that he got. In another statement , you say that he is locked for Mayor because no one would want to earn that little amount of money and be a mayor full time, and that a local business owner, with another entirely different job, should be able to run for mayor too. Well, I don't want a local business owner as a mayor. I want a mayor to be dedicated to bring a mayor. It seems like running a city with a $75 million budget should be a full time job, not someone's PT activity.

You conveniently "don't get it".

First, where did the poster say anything about Dolan's salary or the raise that he got?

Second, the charter as currently written requires anyone elected Mayor to totally divest themselves of any other interest - that means a lawyer or a doctor would have to sell their practice. A store owner would have to sell his store. I agree the Mayor's position should be full-time, but forcing total divestiture is completely unnecessary. There are legal and ethical procedures in place whereby such a person could recuse him/herself from actively participating in another enterprise for the term as mayor. Dolan's handpicked charter commission deliberately wrote it the way it is now to make it such a hardship for anyone to challenge him that no one would. Can you see the forest or are you blinded by the trees?

As for consolidating his power base through the schools, the poster is spot on. Since he weaseled his way onto the SC (another charter gem), and proclaimed himself an "education expert", the schools have gone from bad to worse. In the immortal words of Gunny Hartman, they are now "an disorganized piece of graba$$tic $hit".

???
patronage hacks

I don't get it. In one statement, you say that Dolan makes to much $$ and you lambast the 26% raise that he got. In another statement , you say that he is locked for Mayor because no one would want to earn that little amount of money and be a mayor full time, and that a local business owner, with another entirely different job, should be able to run for mayor too. Well, I don't want a local business owner as a mayor. I want a mayor to be dedicated to bring a mayor. It seems like running a city with a $75 million budget should be a full time job, not someone's PT activity.

Don't be an idiot! There is absolutely no reason why someone can't have other business interests and still be Mayor - how parochial your thinking is! What is the justification to eliminate a whole segment of our population for this position - none!
Who really wants political hacks running the city decade after decade - better to institute term limits if we keep to having full time Mayors. Change the charter now!!!!!!

???
patronage hacks

I don't get it. In one statement, you say that Dolan makes to much $$ and you lambast the 26% raise that he got. Well, I don't want a local business owner as a mayor. I want a mayor to be dedicated to bring a mayor.

Guess what? If you don't want a local practitioner or business owner to be mayor, then simply don't vote for them! I for one, want a small business owner for mayor who understands the needs of local businesses, understands how to listen and meet the needs of his clients(the tax payers)and how to operate a city budget like a business and not as Robbie's slush fund for handing out patronage positions and free healthcare for alderman in order to consolidate his power. But that can never happen because Dolan changed the charter with the help of his buddies on the board of alderman in return for giving them free healthcare on our dime. Lets have free an open elections like its supposed to be.

This poster (???) is either RD himself, his wife, his sister, Brigid, Mikey, MaryBethCrocodileTears, or Morty, pretending to not "get it." No one previously referenced Dolan's strongarmed salary increase. But in RD's ADHD way of approaching everything, he repeatedly hammers away at tired old strains because he thinks He's the Boss, and If He Decreed Something, it must be The Only Way to perceive it. Beating that dead horse over and over again is his sophisticated communication technique. Maybe one of his family members or diehard devotees has his same illness and thinks that yammering away on the same old bullying themes is how to Make the Point here in MelroseMessage Land.

He needs to be put out to pasture. He has long overstayed his welcome and is now just a tyrannical and pathetic little despot instead of a leader. His foul mouth and bad behavior are too well known and reveal exactly what he's really made of. He has his small-minded cadre of devotees, like any longstanding dictator who has worked to consolidate power and shut down any dissension. What he doesn't have is the respect from far too many of his constituents. He has systematically squandered the good will that many had extended to him through most of his early years, through bad conduct and poor management of key decisions, starting with his role on the school committee and continuing through his strongarm tactics for vitally important areas like the water/sewer and tax rates, along with deplorable mismanagement of city human resources. There have been many very costly legal actions against the city because of his arrogant and ignorant treatment of staff, some of which are referenced online (like the $450,000 lawsuits he lost with two police officers a few years ago). He has demonstrated consistent contempt for those he is supposed to serve, instead favoring only those who espouse his views and treating all others disgustingly. He is deeply insecure and shows this more and more with each regressive tactic he employs in the face of any kind of opposition, real or just perceived.

The charter must be changed if Melrose citizens hope to recapture whatever is left of a democratically managed city, which it most certainly is not currently. There are no existing checks and balances now, as RD and this defective charter have effectively shut them down.

Ms. Taymore should be leaving.Not the teacher;s.Not good for are children and families.

1. Remove the language requiring any Mayor to totally divest any outside business interest.

2. Remove the Mayor from the School Committee, which effectively circumvents the independence of the committee from executive branch political influence.

3. Return to a two year period of office for the Mayor, with a limit of two terms.

4. Insert a recall provision. Right now there is zero accountability.

5. Prevent the Mayor from currying favor with wealthier single family homeowners by having their water and sewer bills subsidized by less wealthy residents.

6. Prevent the Mayor from engaging in quid-pro-quo with the B of A, ie: health insurance to the Aldermen in return for his own raises.

7. Reinstate the Police and Fire Chief jobs to civil service status, thereby minimizing political interference in either of those departments.

A Good Start
1. Remove the language requiring any Mayor to totally divest any outside business interest.

2. Remove the Mayor from the School Committee, which effectively circumvents the independence of the committee from executive branch political influence.

3. Return to a two year period of office for the Mayor, with a limit of two terms.

4. Insert a recall provision. Right now there is zero accountability.

5. Prevent the Mayor from currying favor with wealthier single family homeowners by having their water and sewer bills subsidized by less wealthy residents.

6. Prevent the Mayor from engaging in quid-pro-quo with the B of A, ie: health insurance to the Aldermen in return for his own raises.

7. Reinstate the Police and Fire Chief jobs to civil service status, thereby minimizing political interference in either of those departments.

Talk about solving multiple problems at the same time! I am all in on these great suggestions!

I am pleading to CT to have the principal at the Roosevelt gone! Now the secretary is gone this is not what we need in the schools at this time! You can do this Cyndi I am asking you as a parent. She is the worst that was ever put in the Roosevelt school. Don't let the secretary go please.

"She is the worst that was ever put in the Roosevelt school."

That's saying something, since there has been a long line of terrible principals there: Grace, Kerry, TV the Disaster....

Which teacher is leaving?

It appears the secretary at Roosevelt has left, but in reply to the original thread, Ms. Kisling, young English teacher at the HS who the kids liked, left as well to go teach in Arlington.

Secretary did not leave, she took a year long position within MPS. She is now working for asst. super.

Sorry not Roosevelt.. Was thinking Horace Mann secretary.

Today's School Spring postings:

Public Postings
Date Job Title School/Site
Sep 6 School Psychologist Melrose High School
Sep 6 Elementary School Administrative Assistant Roosevelt Elementary School
Aug 31 Group Leader - Elementary After School Program (6) -- Various --
Aug 31 Long Term Substitute - Middle School Science Teacher Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 31 Elementary Long Term Substitute Teacher (Grade 1) Winthrop Elementary School
Aug 24 Paraprofessionals (ECC/High School) (7) -- Various --
Aug 24 Secretary - Middle School Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 18 Foodservice Melrose Public Schools
Aug 18 Transportation Drivers (4) Melrose Public Schools
Aug 18 History/Geography - Long Term Substitute Teacher (12 weeks to Dec 1) Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School
Aug 18 Art and Generalist Teacher - After School Program (2) -- Various --
Aug 18 After School PE/Gym Teacher (2) -- Various --
Aug 18 Elementary Teacher Grade 1 Lincoln Elementary School
Aug 18 Shared School Social Worker (.8) -- Various --
Aug 17 High School Math Teacher Melrose High School
Aug 16 Physical Therapist (.4-.8 until January) Melrose Public Schools
Aug 16 Speech Language Assistant -- Various --
Aug 11 Elementary Educational Team Facilitator - Anticipated -- Various --
Aug 11 Substitute Traffic Supervisor - Full Time/School Year Melrose Public Schools
Aug 4 Teacher - After School Homework Headquarters (5) -- Various --
Aug 4 Anticipated Special Education Teacher (one year position) Melrose High School
Aug 4 Group Leaders - Pre-K After School Program (16) -- Various --
Aug 3 Assistant Site Coordinator - Elementary (6) -- Various --
Jul 28 Elementary Special Education Teacher Substitute Winthrop Elementary School

That's too many positions open the first week of the school year. Principals took their extended vacations over the summer. Admins first, children last.

Amazing what a list on school spring! Something is wrong in the system. CT you need to clean house.

Dolanite: Our Mayor and City are awesome!
Reality: Teachers, Cops, Fire fighters transferring like wild fire.

In fact the only well paid group in our city is the DPW. And to their credit, our city looks great. But you rarely hear about a DPW worker who is unhappy and ready to leave. But the three groups I mentioned above, with all of their inner issues, the schools taking the cake.

My point is everyone acts like everything is great because property values are high. But what if they weren't? And we're just one collapse away from that again. We'd be concentrating on those three issues a lot more than we are now. We need to pay our Teachers, Officers, and Fire Fighters better. Why would we want the scraps when we could have and retain the best!? And please no crying poor, we all know the city has funds stored away.

You have every right to be concerned.It's a constantly revolving door of staff up there, it's impossible to keep track of who anyone is any more.The poster above is correct.

What's going on in Melrose? The word is no one is happy in most of the schools. Why not more principals leaving then just staff. That's a good question to all the taxes payers. The Hoover has not enough help for the teachers. Everyone's absent at the Horace Mann. The ECC is told to do things that are not true. The High school is a mess and SC is still a teacher. The Roosevelt staff is in mourning over the loss of the secretary. And MBM is blaming her CRAZY performance on BC. Telling CT a new secretary will solve her problems.Lincoln principal is starting to not be trusted also. MVMMS he will continue driving out staff for CT.

Melrose is filling position from anyone and everyone. They don't care who they hire as long as they pass the cori and they are not a level 3. So looking for a job go to Melrose you are sure to be hired.

Keep on electing these idiots on the school committee and this stuff will only get worse- wake up people - the SC hires the super - the super is incompetent and arrogant to boot! Connect the friggin dots! And angel-hearing, Margaret Driscoll leads the lemmings - what else do you expect? Dysfunctional - dysfunctional, dysfunctional!

Can't forget the Winthrop School no staff left. That school is a revolving door. They can't get out fast enough. That principal is nasty and looking to get rid of anyone for CT. SC are you hearing the people of Melrose. I lived here for 25 years and it has not changed for the better.

I worked with MBM for a few years and she would go to my boss and make accusations that are not true. She has CT so fooled that she is the best principal in Melrose.

Roosevelt is in chaos! I've been a parent at the Roosevelt for five years and I've never seen anything like this. MBM is blaming it on the secretary leaving? She doesn't answer e-mails, notices aren't being sent out, schedules are wrong, the website hasn't been updated. This is her third year at the Roosevelt, she should know how to do something... BC was there for over ten years. She knew the school, procedures, parents, students, and there was never a problem with communication. MBM has a temporary secretary now, so how is a new secretary going to help her?

You have every right to be concerned.What's going on in Melrose?

MF
Thats nice that MF is not the principal at the HS. Now she is the buisness manager? Is this true?

Wasn't she the gym teacher a few years ago? She just seems to walk into these rolls and thrive off the chaos.

Roosie
"She is the worst that was ever put in the Roosevelt school."

That's saying something, since there has been a long line of terrible principals there: Grace, Kerry, TV the Disaster

Kerry and Vernocchi were not terrible principals. Kerry was good, I interacted with her alot.

I witnessed how insidious the witch hunt to get rid of Vernocchi was, beginning on day 1.

It was Instigated by a teacher and it snowballed, perpetuated by gossiping busy body parents. The teacher still has her job, she managed to cause a lot of disruption without any of it sticking to her, because she got the parents ear and they couldn't tell what she was doing.

KC was a game-playing, semi-literate, pony-tail-flicking, rude, phony snake who has jettisoned herself into her Peter-Principle heights by stepping over anyone and anything in her way (poor bestie BC and JS, or the rest of her then-fellow-new Melrose admin "Dreamteam" (a Dolan claim) didn't fare as well). Not so very long ago she was still naive enough to be posting her drunk party pix on her open FB (while she was a new PrinceEPal). She was also called on the carpet for her disrespectful public conduct. Now she's all Executive and Expensive. But still a phony, no doubt still arrogant and rude, and not at all what anyone who knows could call a real Educator.

"Vernochhi"--funny that (kind of like Family Guy's "Bergina"). He may not have been a bad guy, but he most certainly was a walking talking disaster at that school, and the hiring by his BFF Rosemary was entirely a crooked crony deal that never should have been allowed, as is the case with probably most of the higher-level hirings (from the botton rung) the past few years. Sure, what ensued may have technically qualified as a witch hunt, but he did himself no favors with his public bad conduct and many very stupid and offensive actions. He can thank his good buddies CC and her BFF KC (who was chair of SC then) for making sure the catastrophe led to a $40,000+ attorney payout--at taxpayer expense with no disclosure, naturally, under very shady circumstances--secret/illegal Exec Session (lawyer being a recent major donor to KC, who did not recuse herself from the proceedings in order to get her buddy paid in full with no questions asked) and the unjust firing of a Globe journalist following a completely botched lockdown (and KC's abuse of power, the SC's illegal ejection of the reporter from a public meeting, and on and on the mess and stink goes). Both V and RL-C got unjustly treated by the corrupt mess of a SC in the end, though neither were innocent either. And it's all been downhill since then.... Hard to imagine where the bottom might be!

PS, Prince-E-Pal: Thinking these types were good because you "interacted" with them a lot says quite a lot about your quite obvious low standards.

um not so much
KC was a game-playing, semi-literate, pony-tail-flicking, rude, phony snake who has jettisoned herself into her Peter-Principle heights by stepping over anyone and anything in her way (poor bestie BC and JS, or the rest of her then-fellow-new Melrose admin "Dreamteam" (a Dolan claim) didn't fare as well). Not so very long ago she was still naive enough to be posting her drunk party pix on her open FB (while she was a new PrinceEPal). She was also called on the carpet for her disrespectful public conduct. Now she's all Executive and Expensive. But still a phony, no doubt still arrogant and rude, and not at all what anyone who knows could call a real Educator.

"Vernochhi"--funny that (kind of like Family Guy's "Bergina"). He may not have been a bad guy, but he most certainly was a walking talking disaster at that school, and the hiring by his BFF Rosemary was entirely a crooked crony deal that never should have been allowed, as is the case with probably most of the higher-level hirings (from the botton rung) the past few years. Sure, what ensued may have technically qualified as a witch hunt, but he did himself no favors with his public bad conduct and many very stupid and offensive actions. He can thank his good buddies CC and her BFF KC (who was chair of SC then) for making sure the catastrophe led to a $40,000+ attorney payout--at taxpayer expense with no disclosure, naturally, under very shady circumstances--secret/illegal Exec Session (lawyer being a recent major donor to KC, who did not recuse herself from the proceedings in order to get her buddy paid in full with no questions asked) and the unjust firing of a Globe journalist following a completely botched lockdown (and KC's abuse of power, the SC's illegal ejection of the reporter from a public meeting, and on and on the mess and stink goes). Both V and RL-C got unjustly treated by the corrupt mess of a SC in the end, though neither were innocent either. And it's all been downhill since then.... Hard to imagine where the bottom might be!

PS, Prince-E-Pal: Thinking these types were good because you "interacted" with them a lot says quite a lot about your quite obvious low standards.

this whole site is already filled with the comments you spent hours of your morning trying to write! My point was a different and refreshing perspective on the problem. It means ALOT that you admit Vernocchi wasn't a bad guy. It's almost like admitting he was a good guy who didn't deserve how he was treated, but you don't go that far...

We wonder why good people do not want to fill teaching positions in Melrose or the SC, or ah, the revolving door of principals... Well I don't mean "we".... I understand why other schools would be more desirable to work in than Melrose?
[:-|]

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10