Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parkland - an excuse to push "kindness, empathy and inclusivity in school and in the community

Same old...
Let\'s Hang
To Michael
I really appreciated your posts, and the time you took to explain your thinking. It is unfortunate that many people are unable to have any sort of dialogue around the issues you presented. They are real issues, as much as others might want to dismiss them. I have been a public school teacher for over 30 years (not in Melrose), and I can attest to the inclination of many, many teachers to push their political views on impressionable students, and almost always do it under the guise of \\\"inclusivity\\\". I rarely voice my opinion, because I have decided that the best I can do for my students is to know my content, prepare and differentiate curriculum for my wide range of students, shut my door, and teach. I \\\"teach\\\" kindness and empathy by actually being kind and empathic in my work with kids- I don\\\'t talk politics, because I don\\\'t believe my job requires it, and I don\\\'t believe my students would benefit from knowing my political views.
Recently, I did share some of my views when the administration was \\\"planning\\\" for the National Walkout Day, and I was asked by my superintendent what I thought. We spoke for quite some time about the role of the adults in this so-called student-led effort, and how we were going to address future political issues that might come up. I expressed great concern about how this was going to play out in the middle and elementary schools. We do quite a bit of \\\"social and emotional\\\" curriculum work with kids, and I told the superintendent that we already do a good job in this area, and that I did not think kids in these lower grades grasp the complex nature of gun laws, so why were we telling them how to think about these issues? This is not our job. We need to keep kids safe, but we don\\\'t need to decide for them what political viewpoint they need to have with regard to school safety. I expressed concern that this may set some sort of precedent for future political activism. Our superintendent had heard a lot from the left-leaning teachers, but was open to hearing other opinions. In the end, it was decided that this would not be an organized, school-sanctioned event at the middle or elementary schools. They did have a plan in place for the high school, but then there was a snow day, and it never happened. I guess the students did not feel as strongly as many of the teachers assumed they felt, because it wasn\\\'t even rescheduled, and as far as I know, there has been no further talk about it.
In my experience, forcing kids to include everyone all the time and in every circumstance does not serve them well. I think it is helpful to try to get kids to think about actions and consequences instead. But, I also recognize there are unexpected social issues that come up every day in the classroom. It is nice when faculty can discuss issues openly, focus on individual students, and keep broad generalizations out of it. As I said, I think the issues you presented are real, and not always easy to address.
BTW, I would much rather talk to you at a party than talk to \\\"Let\\\'s Hang\\\". There is a problem when you have to copy lines from the Big Lebowski just to insult someone.
While you and Michael do your libertarian circle jerk at the party. Take notice of how many people leave your orbit to \"go get a drink\" or see someone they have to say hi to and never come back. Types like you are exhausting.
So predictable- all venom and no substance.
What substance do I owe these two mutts? They are arguing AGAINST KINDNESS being emphasized in school. I think that argument is won prima facie. They are just sticking to their guns on it for some reason.

Re: Parkland - an excuse to push "kindness, empathy and inclusivity in school and in the community

Micheal, you are watching the system use propaganda on our community. The walk now at the high school on March 14, 2018 at ten, is all propaganda. The use of propaganda in schools was highly prevalent long ago.

They say our legal system can indict a ham sandwich.
Well on Melrose Messages, people can argue about a ham sandwich! :wink:

It's a euphemism for taking a bite out of crime.

It would be nice to hear that the superintendent is adding bullying to this walk for Melrose. What Can You Do When Bullying is Downplayed at School. Despite the "Bully-Free Zone" posters that line the school You will hear...
.I didn't see it happening and I can't just take your child's word that it did.
.Kids will be kids, you know.
.This stuff just happens. It'll All blow over soon.
.Your child just needs to have a thicker skin
.The child you are accusing of bullying is an honor student and Vice President of the student Council. Are you sure your child isn't exaggerating? Then they downplayed by the very adults who are charged with keeping schoolchildren safe.Education are heroes and I thank them endlessly for their service. With that said, there are also adults who fail children and I don't know any more eloquent or sophisticated way to describe my feelings about it other than to tell you that it burns me.

bullying
It would be nice to hear that the superintendent is adding bullying to this walk for Melrose. What Can You Do When Bullying is Downplayed at School. Despite the "Bully-Free Zone" posters that line the school You will hear...
.I didn't see it happening and I can't just take your child's word that it did.
.Kids will be kids, you know.
.This stuff just happens. It'll All blow over soon.
.Your child just needs to have a thicker skin
.The child you are accusing of bullying is an honor student and Vice President of the student Council. Are you sure your child isn't exaggerating? Then they downplayed by the very adults who are charged with keeping schoolchildren safe.Education are heroes and I thank them endlessly for their service. With that said, there are also adults who fail children and I don't know any more eloquent or sophisticated way to describe my feelings about it other than to tell you that it burns me.
I'm afraid the school district's response to bullying by kids and, especially their own staff and administrators is a lot more sinister than you describe. It ventures into the criminal. Welcome to Melrose.

THE SAD NEWS IN MELROSE SCHOOLS IS WE WON'T EVEN TAKE A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE VICTIMS OF 911.

Trisha 9-11-18
THE SAD NEWS IN MELROSE SCHOOLS IS WE WON\\\'T EVEN TAKE A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE VICTIMS OF 911.
You mean to say this is not done every year on September 11th?

It is what it is.So you need to look at the way life is.

parent
Trisha 9-11-18
THE SAD NEWS IN MELROSE SCHOOLS IS WE WON\\\\\\\'T EVEN TAKE A MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE VICTIMS OF 911.
You mean to say this is not done every year on September 11th?
It's never been done at mps.

Can you end this string? I will summarize: Some people want schools to explicitly teach tolerance and inclusivity, and they are fine with using classroom time to do so. Others think that schools have gone overboard in teaching that you can never exclude anyone for any reason, and they don't want it taught during school time.
Michael is on one end and Let's Hang is on the other. Yippee.
Do you think either of you is going to "win" this argument? Is there anything either of you can say that would make the other person agree with you? At least the "To Michael" guy was trying to see both sides, sort of.
Anyway, the name-calling really seems unwarranted. Why insult someone for disagreeing with you? I mean, what is the point?

Hello Joe, I strongly disagree with you on this. We are raising a bunch of wimps with no skills whatsoever. If you don't believe me look at 75% of all college students, they're all SJW snowflakes, lacking any skills and they are all fighting against stuff that doesn't even exist!!! Education is my number one priority with my kids. In fact it's my only priority. Being nice won't get you very far in life. To be quite frank, I don't care if i hurt someones feeling while getting to the top. Your life is your problem and if being an uneducated, underpaid, skilless, waste of life is what you want for yourself and everyone else, keep thinking that being a decent person will get you places.

Because, it won't. :)