Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Override

So 4 principals will be leaving the Melrose School system. Some of those have not been here long at all and you think that an override will fix this? All the money in the world won’t fix the atmosphere. For the past several years Melrose hasn’t had luck with principals and has nothing to do with money.
As for the “don’t you want your property values to go up” argument, how much more can they go up? 5-6 years ago you could buy a decent house for $300000 now you’re lucky to find one under $500k that doesn’t need 100k worth of work. They’re selling a rip down for $650000k. What is wrong with you people who are so proud to live in an open community. Why do you want to completely shut working people out? It’s nice mommy and daddy could give you 100k towards your down payment or that rich Nana left you money. Not everyone has had that luxury. People have been here many years and have worked hard to maintain their homes and are now retiring and can’t afford a tax increase. Worked hard, not worked in offices with nap rooms, beer taps and employee bonding trips like so many of you.

Re: Override

4 Principals are leaving? Heard that the Winthrop Principal was leaving and now Conway. Who are the other 2 ?
Agree that $ is not the answer to SC and MPS "Leadership" Dysfunction. Will vote NO on any Override for the MPS !

Lincoln principal gone

Is Jenny Corduck leaving Melrose, too? Where did she get another job? Never saw any announcement......

Yes Jenny is going to Lexington

The MPS have been so mismanaged and the environment so toxic that anyone with another job possibility will go ASAP. Salary is of course part of why they leave but Taymore and the School Committee's arrogance and dysfunction is equally responsible. Ask the Teacher's Union how they feel about Adams, the SpEd Director, and Taymore. DeSelm insulted the teachers and was forced to apologize.

Infurna now wants to spend our dollars on an Override next Spring for the schools. Talk about an irresponsible use of tax money. Questions regarding tax increases should be held during the 2019 Mayoral election. We should not hold a special election before November 2019. Override ballot initiatives should include infrastructure, public safety buildings, the schools and other needs all at the same time.

My concern is that if a Prop 2 1/2 was passed, everybody would give themselves a raise and that is it. No money left for books, supplies, etc. The kids would NOT benefit one bit. Then next year they would still be crying poor mouth. Absolutely nothing would change. I am so tired of hearing about it. NO NO NO NO......I will be voting NO for an override.

Mismanagement
The MPS have been so mismanaged and the environment so toxic that anyone with another job possibility will go ASAP. Salary is of course part of why they leave but Taymore and the School Committee's arrogance and dysfunction is equally responsible. Ask the Teacher's Union how they feel about Adams, the SpEd Director, and Taymore. DeSelm insulted the teachers and was forced to apologize.

Infurna now wants to spend our dollars on an Override next Spring for the schools. Talk about an irresponsible use of tax money. Questions regarding tax increases should be held during the 2019 Mayoral election. We should not hold a special election before November 2019. Override ballot initiatives should include infrastructure, public safety buildings, the schools and other needs all at the same time.
Agreed! No override vote until election. If they put a vote through just for override my answer is NO

Under
So 4 principals will be leaving the Melrose School system. Some of those have not been here long at all and you think that an override will fix this? All the money in the world won’t fix the atmosphere. For the past several years Melrose hasn’t had luck with principals and has nothing to do with money.
As for the “don’t you want your property values to go up” argument, how much more can they go up? 5-6 years ago you could buy a decent house for $300000 now you’re lucky to find one under $500k that doesn’t need 100k worth of work. They’re selling a rip down for $650000k. What is wrong with you people who are so proud to live in an open community. Why do you want to completely shut working people out? It’s nice mommy and daddy could give you 100k towards your down payment or that rich Nana left you money. Not everyone has had that luxury. People have been here many years and have worked hard to maintain their homes and are now retiring and can’t afford a tax increase. Worked hard, not worked in offices with nap rooms, beer taps and employee bonding trips like so many of you.
You are spot on! I just can't believe all these newbies to Melrose who are so eager and willing to drink the kool-aid. They are buying into the fear and intimidation tactics of the placeholder Mayor -- as if that's not a big enough tip off that something is seriously wrong with this City and the Administration? I'd bet that all these pushing the override have never once been to a SC meeting, watched one on TV or even bothered to open up one of the SC agenda packets and reviewed the information and the out of control spending. Similarly, I'd bet all those in favor of the override didn't know that about 3 years ago, my water bill was 1/2 of what it is now. The water bills are outrageous and are putting lifers of Melrose out of their homes. It's a tax, it pays for salaries, municipal water use and who knows what else. If any of these override pushers just once watched all the money wasted on 2, yes, not 1, 2 different water consultant companies to come in and tell the BOA how to make more money from taxpayers maybe they wouldn't be buying into the fake news that "it's not a spending problem it's a revenue problem" That's total BS. Why does CT need to make about 185K per year for a small school community like Melrose? Her pay is on par with Brookline and other huge communities. Why does the business manager need to be paid more than principals? Why do we pay benefits to part time employees that basically break the bank in Melrose? These are spending problems. Big spending problems and until these types of issues are corrected, NO OVERRIDE!

Reading the Melrose Facebook community group posts is nauseating. Im new here where can I get my nails done, I’m new here blah blah blah. Well I’m old here ask me, I’ll tell you were to go. I’m pushing 70. My children are in their early 40’s. Two of them were lucky enough to purchase homes in Melrose prior to this inflated market. One moved away by choice. Does anyone have children now in their 20’s and 30’s who would love to own and live in their hometown but can’t because all the annoying newbies coming in willing to spend over asking? On top of the ridiculous water bills and taxes? It costs more than enough to live here already. No to the overrride!

Downtown Melrose has a nail place called Melrose Nails, friendly and they will take the tip out of your credit card too. The best zip code and the best city to live in has only failed the city in so many ways. I could not even get through the city the other day it was so crowded. There Is No Such Thing as a Smart City.

I will wait to see how the city is at that time. If voting were today I would vote no.