Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melrose High School Teacher Placed on Leave

The following is a press release from the Melrose Public Schools regarding a staff member at Melrose High School. Though I cannot comment on the situation, I feel that it is important for you to know how much I care about the students at Melrose High School. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Jason Merrill

Melrose High School Teacher Placed on Leave

MELROSE -- Superintendent of Schools Cyndy S. Taymore reports that a Melrose High School teacher has been placed on administrative leave while officials conduct an investigation of allegedly inappropriate behavior.

The faculty member has been employed with the district for approximately 14 years. The investigation by the Melrose Public Schools stems from concerns raised about allegedly inappropriate behavior that occurred outside of the school and not during work hours.

Superintendent Taymore has been in contact with the Melrose Police Department, which has advised the school district that this is an administrative matter that does not involve criminal activity.

"As a public school district focused at all times on providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students, we take any allegations of inappropriate behavior seriously," Superintendent Taymore said. "We are releasing this information in the interests of transparency, but please understand that there are certain things we legally cannot say publicly at this time. However, I can report that the investigation has confirmed that no current students are involved."

Re: Melrose High School Teacher Placed on Leave

I want to know why this is a big deal but the female teacher having a relationship with a 17 year old student 7-8 years ago was kept hush? He got mad when she failed him and turned texts over to administration. They quietly let her go.

Because that didn’t actually happen.

Oh it 100% definitely happened.

An affair with female teacher and a senior did happen at that time. I never heard about the failing part but I know it happened.

Questions: 1. NO 2. YES 3. YES... Next all REPUBLICANS...

who is the teacher?

I will never vote for anyone with a D next to their name again. I will go down the line and vote everyone with an R next to their name. This country depends on it. I will vote no on 3. Transgenders have the same human rights we all do. It’s like introducing a bill not to discriminate against fat people or old people. Until that happens I don’t think transgenders should have special rights and it opens up the door for perverts to pretend they’re women to get into a ladies room.

I will never support a Melrose override because no amount of money will fix the real problems in the school like these.

Comet
I will never vote for anyone with a D next to their name again. I will go down the line and vote everyone with an R next to their name. This country depends on it. I will vote no on 3. Transgenders have the same human rights we all do. It’s like introducing a bill not to discriminate against fat people or old people. Until that happens I don’t think transgenders should have special rights and it opens up the door for perverts to pretend they’re women to get into a ladies room.

I will never support a Melrose override because no amount of money will fix the real problems in the school like these.
The teacher in question, a Spanish teacher at MHS, allegedly left voice messages for two recent MHS grads professing his love for the two. Basically a case of drunk dialing here , however, the messages were passed around by students through social media over the past week, eventually landing into the hands of MHS administrators.

To clarify, the teacher is male as well as the two MHS graduates.

I feel bad for the guy. He is a sad, lonely man. He’s always telling the kids how poor he is while simultaneously being tortured by these kids.

What's Wrong with Public School?

No Accountability

Wasted Funds

Political Agendas

One Size Doesn't Fit All

NCLB (No Child Left Behind Act)

why
I want to know why this is a big deal but the female teacher having a relationship with a 17 year old student 7-8 years ago was kept hush? He got mad when she failed him and turned texts over to administration. They quietly let her go.
The math teacher in the middle school. What happen to the head of guidance.

Another big problem is out of field teaching, where teachers are asked to teach subjects outside their area of expertise. The problem here is not the teachers. It's the fact that there's a shortage of teachers in some subjects, such as math and the science. Many entire school districts do not have a single teacher with an academic degree in mathematics or science.

Pat Mahiney
I feel bad for the guy. He is a sad, lonely man. He’s always telling the kids how poor he is while simultaneously being tortured by these kids.
In most schools bullying is rampant and there is no effective mechanism to control it. The teachers, paraprofessional, administration, staff and students never learn to stop in Melrose.

The reactions may indicate that less-engaged Republicans are feeling similarly outraged, or even just ambivalent, about Kavanaugh accusations.

The Problem with Education
Another big problem is out of field teaching, where teachers are asked to teach subjects outside their area of expertise. The problem here is not the teachers. It's the fact that there's a shortage of teachers in some subjects, such as math and the science. Many entire school districts do not have a single teacher with an academic degree in mathematics or science.
"Many entire school districts do not have a single teacher with an academic degree in mathematics or science."

And here in Melrose, administrators (Farrell, Taymore, Adams, Talbot) actually harass the accomplished teachers with expertise in their field, partly because these administrators are too dumb and lack accomplishment in any field themselves so they are ignorant about what needs to happen to teach the content, and partly because they view the accomplished teachers as a threat. Whether it's math, science, foreign language, music, art, Taymore's administrators have systematically bullied an entire realm of Melrose's most accomplished and proven educators, forcing them out the door to any other option, even if it paid LESS, just to escape the ugly and unrelenting harassment from administration. This is the central reason the best and brightest Melrose teachers have left and why so many others refuse to apply. Those who continue to drink the koolaid that low salaries are the problem really are so ignorant of the years and years of abuse that good teachers have had to endure in Melrose. (By contrast, CT has a number of pets whom she does NOT harass, all of whom are abysmal teachers, which seems to be the qualifying factor for promotion here. And the mayor/school committee just gush and gush and gush about how wonderful it all is....)

Re the teacher on leave, this is another case of CT bullying, this time towards a teacher who obviously needed some help after a death in the family but for whom there was no criminal matter. And yet CT made sure to contact police (who refused to take her illegal bait), and of course mismanaged the press horribly, as per usual. Instead of getting the help the teacher needed, there is now the prospect of permanent ruination for someone who has given an entire life to the Melrose Public Schools and deserves so much better. Shame on all concerned, including the vicious parents who have relished the gossip and made sure to spread it.

The Problem with Education
Can you cite a source that shows that "many entire school districts do not have a single teacher with an academic degree in mathematics or science."? Is this some sort of national stat, or MA. I am curious to know what you mean by "many".

I am sure the teacher feels awful, simple case of drunk dialing. It is interesting to note that the individuals where not current students , but graduates and the where 18. Further more they recorded the teacher without his consent. In MA recording a conversation requires two party consent, so in recording the call and sharing it the former students committed an illegal act. He is obviously a individual with an alcohol problem , which is a disease he needs treatment not necessarily termination.

If you listen to what he says on the tape, it was not a simple case of drunk dialing or someone professing his love. It is an explicit sexual description of what he wants to do to someone.

No sympathy here. He went too far. He should be out if he is this out of control whatever his circumstances. If they had wanted to do the right thing, they should have done it years ago. He was never a good spanish teacher. He does not even speak spanish very well.

Paying employees to waive health insurance has ramifications. Boston, Ma Job Satisfaction Rating: 3.5/5
Median Base Salary; $60,000
Number of Open Jobs: 219,873
Companies Hiring: Brainshark, Black Diamond Networks, Bay State Community Services, PROCON, Apollo Security, Brookdale, Liberty Mutual, Access Information Management & more.

While the job market may still look good grim for those looking to replace their good-paying jobs."If you look at the job growth distribution of the last two recoveries, it suggests we're going to see growth of a lot more lower-income jobs. So how much lower can Melrose go with one of the lowest paying city.

A "slap in the face" When news of a resignation circulates you wonder is Cyndy going to give them a good recommendation. She always moves them on to a new school. The superintendent will sadly pass the buck to a new school like she has in so many other situations.

How many more incidents are gong to occur? We need an override because of all the lawsuits? When will Taymore step up and when will the school committee hold her accountable? Over and over again we are embarrassed but yet who us held accountable? No one? Throw money at it and blame it on the funds and ask for money? No, no no...

Demand Accountability and Truth!

Lets hide the truth..Dolan was what with a administrator of the school? Great people to be leading... Come one! it is far from money!