Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5,18 million reason why

It was demanded by a yes =voter that any no voter better have and better have a very good reason why there was a no vote. I call on you.. You tell me why 5.18 million. I call on you to tell me why I should be thrown from town buy this large sum.. I call on you to justify why my family will have to sacrifice food and other certain things. I call on you to explain why Taymor ignores the bullying problem.. I call on you why 6% makes sense when the region average is what 2,2 and the nation average is even less. I call on you to tell my kids that the will have less because my tx bill has gone so high I can no longer afford to live in town. I call on you to tell the people th truth. Get your facts from legitimate sites, get your ideas from the popular and get your facts straight because I really want to hear you tell family why they are no longer good enough for melrose?

All the money in the world won't buy me but will it buy you!

Re: 5,18 million reason why

I call on you to explain what you just said!

Sure...Are we using the information that was denied us when Monica asked for it or general research we did... 2015 the override called for 2.1 million. It failed. 2016 Melrose was reported as having some of the highest increase in MCAS scores in the region. You can google Melrose School placements and see the information about the school.. The Ratio issue when and if you look in some it records at 15.1 and another at 20.2..The ratio issue is simple preference. You don't like that there I an extra kid or two in the class that is not fact or justification for adding such a large amount of teachers. I would argue about the para professionals and the enormous increase but there is no data showing a certain influx of student that would require that. Moving on to the 6%..Melrose I right in line with schools comparable in size, median income and number of residents unlike when Taymore wants to use Concord schools systems. The income is far and above as well as numerous other ones she has used. So if you look up Melrose School placements and research you will see her numbers with this schools show a far superior income base. The regional norm is 2.2% so why 6%.. the teachers union will negotiate an increase plus they will get steps and lanes so we are dishing that money out why? Hw much were the PODS? Several million and that was a year ago. Now we are reopening the BEBE when it was said there is no chance of saving it. Why now? The pods were to give us a 5-10 year period where we would be able to develop a plan. The number 5.18 which is 585 a year..the Mayor originally was at 275 why the massive change. Also we have paid how much in lawsuits for some of these teachers are we being held to such expenditures with the increased premium because of the amount the insurance paid out for these? Melrose High School graduated 98% and had 30.8% go to what the newspaper considered "prestigious colleges." Places like Harvard, Yale, Cornel, so on. Taymore during the override said task task about floaters but yet the school fourlished with them and in the same sentence it was said she did not need four teachers nd laid them off..Weird? I do not have it all in front of me but I needed to respond because I was simply wondering why we have to prove anything.. I vote no so I am not asking anyone for money or any help or anything.. My kids are great, doing well..so why do I have to say anything it is YOU and the YES that are asking for 585 bucks from every citizen of Melrose and asking the town to get 5.18 million.. it is not me. So I look at it as you need ti convince me. So now the library is neglected or will you vote yes when they need 10 million for that? The Police station is deplorable..what are you doing for them? My question to us is your doomsday is a false. It has been proven by more than one entity there is no ratio issue, people just don't like 22 when the norm is higher. Once again it is simply the will to succeed and money does not buy success. So I work two jobs in private sector have a high deductible insurance plan with only one to choose from while now the school has a bunch and covers 84% of the cost. I get less than 50% and YOU are asking me for 585 a year and want me to make an explanation? It is You asking for money to be thrown at the schools with hopes it generates success? Steve Jobs did it in a basement. Then I will be told I'm not for the children or a 3D printer is important because it is modern technology..WHAT? Kids go to Ivy League schools and never have regular computers. Melrose truly wants to become the "hot" spot. The tax portion and stating because of our high rate of residential unlike surrounding areas with commercial, yet any commercial building is turned into a condo. Allegory or Hypocrisy? Didn't Dolan tell us the town nd schools were in great shape. That is spoken from our last elected =Mayor, did you vote for him? I can't ask about the current Mayor because no one voted for her. Here is Mayor Dolan and Taymore preaching the schools are great and the town nd then asking for 5.18 million.. I would love some of the information Moinca wished for to better argue the point or if I had my notes but I am not home. I had to reply because it has driven crazy that I have to explain anything. I don't want 585 from you a year. I am not asking you for money, causing you finical hardships. Maybe you can afford it so power to you but my kids success will be short lived because these tax hikes are pushing us from the town. So you want to throw my money at the school in hope of success while I wan to save it so I can stay in town and continue with the success we are already having..Can anyone explain that? Why bother...It was just a "simple" question. Monica also pressed some serious over charges that never got clarified 30,000 here or there. What about the cost to place workers in the BEBE? No new police department from you end? a library for people to learn? This number is a joke..so is not having a plan so we don't keep doing this..Taymore said that at the last meeting. That there was no clear plan for the future. Not clear but yet the 5.18 was so very clear in her voting and projections. My brain spins from the tire swing this town has me on..Your turn to explain why I should pay 585 or leave town so that you can thrown money in the air and hope?

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/MA/city/Melrose/search.aspx

This one compares to surrounding regions

http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20160831/study-melrose-schools-have-most-improved-test-scores-in-region

That one is after the 2015 override failed yet we had most improved MCAS scores.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ma/melrose/schools

I like this one because it talks about if you are looking at schools when you are looking for move.. the ratio is interesting.

Maybe the alderman have better sources and such but I have read both sides and I have ask my questions with ZERO answers. Seems to be the going trend..people ask but get ZERO... Once again if you have something to say besides the money makes our kids succeed I am all ears but every year its the same speeches with the same rhetoric and absolute lack of information.

People on social security or disability? What about them?

How any elected official in this town can look a Melrose firefighter in the eye is beyond me. YES, YES, YES One Melrose except if you are a member of the MFD.

Can't argue with that. Now visit the PD. It's in worse shape than Amenhotep's tomb.

We all await your answer..you are the one asking for 5.18 million so lets hear why!

Now its your turn for 5.18 million reasons why...

Dude, paragraphs please. That is some unreadable garbage. Makes you look a bit nuts also. Seems like it might have had some interesting stats in it, but it reads like getting preached to by a filthy mentally ill hobo. Clean it up!

I have read your posts. You lob insults and start a sentence with DUDE.. You use WTF often..Spell your words, what are brining to the board or are you here to simply insult..What is someone on this board has mental health issues. I beg you end your ignorance, offer insight not insults and top your text ling jargon makes you sound unintelligent.. if you have facts them state them and if you want to edit peoples posts, edit yours first..UNREAL. But your name is nutshell so makes sense.

I read it and it and found that there was time and effort put into it, yes no paragraphs but this is a discussion not a college class. I support it!

Checks and Balances, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Forgive me... please add something... your more than welcome to provide anything other than insults, but then again people like you find courage behind words typed on a computer. It’s a forum you can add things or provide information against or for. But obviously your a moron because you can only insult. The beat part of it all, your cowardice. You afraid to present a fact or maybe more afraid to accept the facts?

Principal
Checks and Balances, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Should your sentence read more dumb instead of dumber? Just like the last over ride people on the yes were so nasty, rude and disrespectful.

Yet the people voting no decided it was best to ignore their ignorant insults and moronic disregard for people’s rights to free thought and free speech. God help us is right!

Can’t wait for this override to go down in flames.....again. We’re a middle-class community, if you want a grade A school system go to an affluent community.