Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Override of course

Melrose has not passed an override in 25 years. What does that matter. That is proof alone that there is no need and never was.

Melrose Fake Dem's Fake News
That alleged $600k "deficit" is the same fake construct that has been used for several years now, dating back to the amount Dolan approved as a transfer from the snow plowing account (during a low snow year) in order to fund the full-day K (in order to begin collecting the Chapt. 70 funds that were being thrown away every year).

That $600k was funded with DRusso's slush fund, aka "free cash," but it's still being treated as a continuing deficit, much the way these frauds continue to refer to the ARRA one-time Fed funding as "lost" now (though they were only ever a one-time stimulus grant).

All the above absolutely correct. Maybe next time they'll figure out they need to use a different number. They really do think we're all idiots, you know, especially Dello Russo. They only things lost lately has been a moral compass and any ability to be truthful.

"Free Cash", formerly known as Excess and Deficiency. Hello - it was called that because that's what is was for!

Picture this. You overspend your budget. You have a bunch of money in savings, but you say it's not good practice to dip into it, so you go to your boss and say "I need more money". Your boss' response will be (pick 1):

1. Sure
2. How much?
3. Get the f*** out of my office.

Correct
Picture this. You overspend your budget. You have a bunch of money in savings, but you say it's not good practice to dip into it, so you go to your boss and say "I need more money". Your boss' response will be (pick 1):

1. Sure
2. How much?
3. Get the f*** out of my office.
I'm not a fan of boss metaphors in this scenario. If we are going to make barely relevant business metaphors (because try as you might pretend otherwise, business and government are not the same, not the least because their goals are different), I prefer something like this.

Imagine you've invested in a company. The managers of the company come to you and say:

"we have some budget gaps that need filling because we are growing faster than we projected. We might have a bit of leftover cash at the end of the year, but we would prefer to reserve that for emergencies. And since we aren't sure yet that extra money will even be there, or that it will be there year after year, we don't want to rely on it. So we would like to ask you to put in an additional round of funding to ensure that we can provide you with the greatest return possible on your investment."

I'd invest more in a company run smartly like that.

Rather than taxes as a cost, I prefer to think of them as an investment in the kind of society we want to live in.

Hey "Individual 1": Maybe you'd like to buy someone else's cemetery plot, too, while you're at it (city officials can give you a great deal, as long as you don't mind a couple of trash oil tanks slipped in next to your loved one, courtesy of the son of a deceased former alderman...., and maybe someone else's grandma, too, because the plot was already sold to another family....). If you think this is ridiculous, you haven't paid much attention.

Truth is truly stranger than fiction, especially when considering Melrose politics or the Trump administration. Melrose just elevated a convicted felon to the chair of the school committee! This is the same felon who stole from old people and never paid back more than about $30k, despite the amount he stole being in excess of a million. This is a guy who is now framing the budget narrative for this override boondoggle (in between his slathering brown-nosing of the civil rights-violating superintendent and his many-times in violation of state laws vice chair, gushing and fawning obsequiously). So while this creep can't put his hand directly into the till this time, he can aggressively work to create a larger till for the administration, and who knows, maybe get himself some sort of cushy situation out of it. He had made it clear to RD that he wanted to get his law license back, and RD floated the idea of making him a city solicitor, amazingly. The gall of these creeps is boundless. Why would anyone trust their motives to be honest or decent? (Did you ever witness the many examples of RD's bullying glee when mocking even his closest so-called friends and associates? If not, you just weren't paying attention, because the examples were public and plentiful!)

Sure, taxes are the price a civilized society pays for the right to the trappings of civilization (schools, roads, ...). But in Melrose, there is absolutely zero reason to trust that the tax dollars (including those disguised as "fees" or those paid illegally into Enterprise funds) are actually going towards the greater good. The fraudulent financial practices of this administration (the RD show as played by GI) are deeply corrupt (RD knows this full well). The many false constructs have been dressed up anew but are simply rehashed from all the previous years of the RD Show (go back and find every single one of his "state of the city" addresses, and you'll find similar numbers, similar schemes, similar scare tactics, over and over again). You are not paying attention if you think there's anything new in this latest version of fear-mongering or contorting of the budget numbers. Your willingness to pay taxes is admirable, as is your concern for the greater good. Your eyes need to be opened, however, because your naiveté is glaring.

It was actually two metaphors - the second being that WE are THEIR bosses, not the other way around. The very first thing I'd ask your hypothetical CEO is that he justify his prior spending to my satisfaction. So get the f*** out of my office.

It’s Show Time! Illegitimate Gail will give the “State of the City Address” next Tuesday. She can’t articulate well even when reading what she is told to say. It will be an opportunity to compare what has been said so many times by Dolan. How Melrose is considered the 2nd best place to live in Massachusetts is a mystery. Downtown is a mess, the schools lack ethical leadership, businesses are struggling, speeding and traffic are out of control and public safety needs continue to be ignored. Let’s see how all these issues will be explained in Gail Talk.

. The doomsday scenario painted by the administration if the override fails is not shared by our independent auditors or bond rating firm who have no vested interest in the outcome of the override.Specifically, S&P in its bond rating(which is the same rating we have had for several years)stated Melrose has great budget flexibility with available fund balance of 8.8% of operating expenses. Furthermore, S&P expects budget flexibility to remain very strong. This does not remotely mention the doomsday day scenario presented by city hall. Think about why that is for a moment.

For the last five fiscal years, the following amount of free cash has been certified by the state as follows:

6/30/2018. $3.6 million
6/30/2017. $2.3 million
6/30/2016. $4.32 million
6/30/2015. $3.4 million
6/30/2014. $3.2 million

If that is not enough data to contradict city hall, look at the city’s Audited financial statements for the year ending 6/30/18. & 6/30/2017 prepared by the CPA firm Powers & Sullivan. There is a reason why the majority of the city don’t believe Dello Russo or the Mayor with respect to financial information that continues to be contradicted by third parties.

Third party data
There is a reason why the majority of the city don’t believe Dello Russo or the Mayor with respect to financial information that continues to be contradicted by third parties.

Of course there's a reason. It's because they are lying - again - still. Want to now if Dello Russo is truthful? Take a look at the disaster he left behind in Plymouth.

"Hey "Individual 1": Maybe you'd like to buy someone else's cemetery plot, too, while you're at it (city officials can give you a great deal, as long as you don't mind a couple of trash oil tanks slipped in next to your loved one, courtesy of the son of a deceased former alderman...., and maybe someone else's grandma, too, because the plot was already sold to another family....). If you think this is ridiculous, you haven't paid much attention."

Quite true. And any time one asks anyone at City Hall about this, you will find yourself treated as if you are not real. Lots of whistling past that graveyard. Lots. It's just one example of the longtime culture of Melrose City Hall. For newbies, if you take what's presented at face value, you are too credulous for your own good. It's very slippery out there.

Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.

I can’t wait for this override to go down in flames. That statistic that Linda put out earlier is very on par with what you hear on her about town. I know the haters don’t want to hear it but the last two overrides we’re defeated by very similar margins. I’ve said it once I’ll say it again the only override that will pass will be for police and fire buildings.

"I’ve said it once I’ll say it again the only override that will pass will be for police and fire buildings."

Not an override for those: a debt exclusion for each separate construction project. Every fiscal tub on its own bottom. To reduce City Hall's ability to divert funds and to keep oversight more transparent.

And all of this ideally after the City has paid off the middle school bond.

IF that makes some/many in City Hall feel like they would be on a tight leash, I have one response: You bethca - City Hall has earned that.

Since GI never tells anybody this, so it's important to know that Melrose each year has HUGE budget surpluses. They call it "free cash", but it's really a budget surplus. Here are the surpluses for the past few years:

FY18 - $3.5M
FY17 - $2.2M
FY16 - $4.3M
FY15 - $3.3M
FY14 - $3.1M

Source: https://dlsgateway.dor.state.ma.us/reports/rdPage.aspx?rdReport=FreeCash2&rdScrollX=0&rdScrollY=135

HUGE budget surpluses.
Since GI never tells anybody this, so it's important to know that Melrose each year has HUGE budget surpluses. They call it "free cash", but it's really a budget surplus. Here are the surpluses for the past few years:

FY18 - $3.5M
FY17 - $2.2M
FY16 - $4.3M
FY15 - $3.3M
FY14 - $3.1M

Source: https://dlsgateway.dor.state.ma.us/reports/rdPage.aspx?rdReport=FreeCash2&rdScrollX=0&rdScrollY=135
Those are some huge budget differences. Which one you recommend be included in the budget each year?

You know towns are supposed to have free cash, right? That's a measure of good, responsible management? It's a big part of why our bond rating is so high?

It's also not supposed to be part of the next year's budget or long term planning. Relying on that every year in your budget is like counting on your Christmas bonus. Maybe it happens most years, but one of these years, you're going to get ****ed.

That's true, and in my own budgeting I always try to build in a certain amount of emergency funding as well. It's a good practice and really helps when there are unanticipated expenses or other shortfalls. And it is required by law, which is also a good thing. I also believe that using it in your budgeting calculations in the subsequent year or years is folly. It's meant to be used on a one-year basis.

The "Free Cash" account was formerly called "Excess and Deficiency", and as the name implies, it was a way to account for excess funds or deficits. I see no issue with using $600,000 of free cash to cover that deficit, if indeed there even is one, which we don't even know yet. It's a supposed "projection" for which we have zero documentation.

I think the only account that works differently is snow removal. You're allowed to post-budget for a deficit there.

Melrose has an available balance of 8.8% of operating expenses. That's very good. Doing anything else but to use a portion of that amount in any budgeting deficit scenario other than government would never fly. In government, however, there's another option. When you don't want to spend that money, you simply raise taxes.

And here we are.

Say What?
Melrose has an available balance of 8.8% of operating expenses. That's very good. Doing anything else but to use a portion of that amount in any budgeting deficit scenario other than government would never fly. In government, however, there's another option. When you don't want to spend that money, you simply raise taxes.

And here we are.

Very true. I wish I could do that. Unfortunately I have to live within my means.

Finally I get to say NO. I Vote NO!

I am willing consider voting "yes" only when city hall and the superintendent's office come forward with requested information on past spending as well budget projections. In the past, they refuse to release this information, even to our elected alderman and school committee members who have had to repeatedly enforce compliance with the State's Public Records laws by filing complaints with the Secretary of State's office. I consider this obstructionist and undemocratic behavior by the mayor, school committee chair, superintendent of schools and other complicit public servants as a personal attack against the taxpayers and students of Melrose. This abhorrent behavior continues to this day and was the primary reason the last override failed miserably. Melrose taxpayers would like to make an educated decision on the override, but cannot if these city officials continue to deny information requests.

My family can’t afford it and will vote No,

Born and raised in Melrose. I worked all my life for an honest days pay. I didnt have money to go to college but was still able to make money and retire. There were some tough times for sure. My chlidren moved away from Melrose to cities in other states and sent their kids to good public schools. My grand kids will be much better off then me because they were able to get a solid education. There going to college, and will be middle class. Don't know if they would come back to live in Melrose, but it makes me beleive in good schools. Even though money is tight for me, I will support the override. People say the rich young families are ruining it for us locals. They will pay more than their fair share so the kids from not as rich families will get a solid start.

Can someone please find a source about the ratio issue, all the questions and research done show there is no ratio issue.. Just certain peoples preferences. The ratio on the last site i looked showed 20 as the school average. It is below the norm.. Taymore laid off four teachers because there was no need for them so how is there a problem. Spacing? We just spent millions on the PODS to help with that. Why rush something as important as this and without proper information. Lets rush it and not come up with a pan for the future? Just throw a 5.18 million at it and hope it does the trick.

Time to get real about the issue. Melrose school system may have issues like any school but it is so far exagerrated for the purpose of gaining taxpayers dollars. Several other people posted their fear about having such an increase in bills with the new tax added. Do you plan to leave them behind? If you can afford it great but I really find it sad that Melrose is willing to leave behind so many families. Of course the rebutle is what about leaving behind the kids.

After the last override failed the schools had the most improved testing scores in the region..The article was on here.

The BEBE is the answer? I thought the Mayor and Alderman stated it would and could never be saved. Taymore and Dolan stared us in the eyes and said the town and schools were in great shape.

Please read the article because it proved we did NOT need it last time either. It failed in 2015 and the next year was the highest increase in testing scores with a 98% graduation rate.

5.18 million is a lot for preference...

The Mismanagement lack of Transparency and Coverups.

Melrose
Can someone please find a source about the ratio issue, all the questions and research done show there is no ratio issue.. Just certain peoples preferences. The ratio on the last site i looked showed 20 as the school average. It is below the norm.. Taymore laid off four teachers because there was no need for them so how is there a problem. Spacing? We just spent millions on the PODS to help with that. Why rush something as important as this and without proper information. Lets rush it and not come up with a pan for the future? Just throw a 5.18 million at it and hope it does the trick.

Time to get real about the issue. Melrose school system may have issues like any school but it is so far exagerrated for the purpose of gaining taxpayers dollars. Several other people posted their fear about having such an increase in bills with the new tax added. Do you plan to leave them behind? If you can afford it great but I really find it sad that Melrose is willing to leave behind so many families. Of course the rebutle is what about leaving behind the kids.

After the last override failed the schools had the most improved testing scores in the region..The article was on here.

The BEBE is the answer? I thought the Mayor and Alderman stated it would and could never be saved. Taymore and Dolan stared us in the eyes and said the town and schools were in great shape.

Please read the article because it proved we did NOT need it last time either. It failed in 2015 and the next year was the highest increase in testing scores with a 98% graduation rate.

5.18 million is a lot for preference...
I still say that the Beebe will never reopen. They still do not have a plan for its use !!!!! Why is there a discussion about opening it and they have no idea what they will put in there. I am telling you I think it will remain as is even if the override passes. Again NO plan !

Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.

Apparently the message board is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. That's the freedom of speech.

Any teacher who went to BC or BU can not afford to keep teaching in Melrose. They have enormous school loans and need a decent salary.
If you really want quality you need to pay and respect your best employees or they become discouraged and leave.

BC or BU? With tuition room & Board sticker price 70k per year, not sure how many BC or BU graduates today can afford to go into teaching whether it’s Melrose or another district. Better or off going to a state school like many of our current administrators and teachers in Melrose and across the state.

The reason you don't see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration's propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can't dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it's prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can't get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we've allowed to happen.

Do we still have teacher coaches? Is there one for each school or several distributed? Do they fall under administration salaries or teacher salaries? Just wondering. Thank you!

The reason you don't see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration's propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can't dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it's prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can't get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we've allowed to happen.

Apparently the message board is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. That's the freedom of speech.

You can learn more in the coming weeks. The Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance will be educating you with accurate, factual information to help you make the right choice in the April 2nd election. This is an important vote, so be sure and make your decision based on facts, not fiction! Visit Our new Melrose Taxpayers' Alliance website: www.melrosetaxpayers.com and follow us on Facebook to learn more https://www.facebook.com/melrosetaxpayers/

We will be working hard to reach out to all of our neighbors. If you have questions or would like to get more involved, please email us at MelroseTaxpayers@gmail.com.

Never Answered

Do enough voters know about this site? Maybe someone ought to post about it on the uncensored page. If it was posted on the regular community page it would probably be violating standards and be deleted.

Go to sleep, Seamus, you’re not helping. Why don’t you do something instead of asking others to do your job?

Never Answered

Do enough voters know about this site? Maybe someone ought to post about it on the uncensored page. If it was posted on the regular community page it would probably be violating standards and be deleted.

Go to sleep, Seamus, you’re not helping. Why don’t you do something instead of asking others to do your job?

IT IS WHAT IT IS.This is Melrose Mass 02176.

I still smile whenever i think of that override getting flushed down the toilet by the realistic people in our city.

Melrose had a chance to get a quality administrator with a proven track record, and instead opted for Taymore. They were were warned she would be a problem, but they ignored all advice not to hire her.

I will vote for the override when it involves building a new police and fire stations, that’s it. When will the city administration’s learn that the people have had it with spending all this ridiculous money on the schools.

Talk to “One Melrose” canvassers and ask them about the “feedback” they are receiving from residents while knocking on doors.

But meanwhile they just continue playing their games and going through their charades--all at our expense and that of the students they are supposed to serve. Disgusting and shameful.

Dad
Faced with a Recession, what part of "We Can't afford It" do they not understand ?

Water Sewer RATES
Dad
Faced with a Recession, what part of \"We Can\'t afford It\" do they not understand ?
We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.” Unobstructed View this is about money .No answer not good.

So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019

Seamus
Never Answered
The reason you don\'t see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration\'s propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can\'t dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it\'s prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can\'t get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we\'ve allowed to happen.

1 2 3