Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Over and Done

Two things I wish were over and Done.

1. The One Melrose Schools Only Campaign is divisive and makes people question the political judgement of those involved. NO on the Override.
2. Trump’s Presidency has damaged every aspect of our government and also has contributed to divisions between people here and abroad.

NO on the Override and NO to Teump.

Re: Over and Done

Just read in the Patch about a Teacher complaining about only receiving $79,000 for working 10 months out of the year. Over 12 months this would be the equivalent of making $94,800 which is above the median income in Melrose. Is difficult to understand the complaining when private school teachers in the area Dont receive a pension or other similar lucrative benefits or anything close to $79,000.

I was told recently that the starting salary for a new police officer in Melrose is around 55K.....person is also polling the MFD and MPD members who are residents of Melrose and eligible to vote. Even those with kids in the MPS are VOTING NO on the Override. Respect for and trust in elected officials is extremely low.

Private school
Just read in the Patch about a Teacher complaining about only receiving $79,000 for working 10 months out of the year. Over 12 months this would be the equivalent of making $94,800 which is above the median income in Melrose. Is difficult to understand the complaining when private school teachers in the area Dont receive a pension or other similar lucrative benefits or anything close to $79,000.
She has a Master’s Degree, 20 years of experience and is at the top of the pay scale (meaning no increases unless collectively bargained at contract time). Someone at that level of education and experience should be well above the Melrose median income; and that is BEFORE you consider how important her job is to the strength of the community. She is grossly underpaid, and the fact that Melrose consistently underpays their teachers versus other communities is shameful.

Get a different slant.

I’m so sick of the response get a “different slant!! “
Move to a different city!!
Voting NO & I know a lot of other residents doing the same..

Wow
Private school
She has a Master’s Degree, 20 years of experience and is at the top of the pay scale (meaning no increases unless collectively bargained at contract time). Someone at that level of education and experience should be well above the Melrose median income; and that is BEFORE you consider how important her job is to the strength of the community. She is grossly underpaid, and the fact that Melrose consistently underpays their teachers versus other communities is shameful.

Get a different slant.

Is anyone in Melrose ashamed of the conditions in which our fire and police are forced to work?
Does anyone in Melrose consider how important our police officers and firefighters are to the strength of the community?
The hypocracy of this city claiming we are “One Melrose” and how grateful we are to Public Safety personnel is what is really shameful.
Compare both police and fire salaries and the state of Fire Stations and Police Buildings to other cities and towns facilities.
This is what is truly shameful “Get a new slant” !
Voting NO on any new taxes until this City addresses the longest running crisis in Melrose.

Real Shame
Wow
Private school

Get a different slant.

Is anyone in Melrose ashamed of the conditions in which our fire and police are forced to work?
Does anyone in Melrose consider how important our police officers and firefighters are to the strength of the community?
The hypocracy of this city claiming we are “One Melrose” and how grateful we are to Public Safety personnel is what is really shameful.
Compare both police and fire salaries and the state of Fire Stations and Police Buildings to other cities and towns facilities.
This is what is truly shameful “Get a new slant” !
Voting NO on any new taxes until this City addresses the longest running crisis in Melrose.

So if the Override was $10M and included a new police station and fire stations you would vote for it? I don’t think I believe you.

The reason why the police and fire is never talked about is because Illegitimate Gail and the feckless BOA know that once Schools Only passes or fails citizens will never vote for fire and poice buildings because of more taxes. One Melrose folks don’t care about anything but the schools. They do not care about anything but their own agenda. If the Police and Fire Buildings were put to a bonding before “Schools Only”, it would have passed. Then the schools would have to be transparent and realistic. I am so tired of “the slant” of narcissistic 30 or 40 somethings who will never care or be willing to pay for anything but the schools. Voting NO!

Fellow Melrosians,

With all due respect, the override is not just about the schools. The state mandates certain minimums that are to be spent on education and especially special ed. Melrose is barely above the minimum spending requirement. So, the schools are underfunded and are forced to suck funds from the rest of the town, including fire, police, DPW, etc...

But, if the override passes, all non-Ed departments will benefit.

I really wish we would stop labeling people based on their age and how long they’ve lived in Melrose. Stop being so angry and telling people to move to a different city or town. How hateful is that? We should all be on the same team here.

I don’t want to pay more in taxes, but I’ll be voting YES. I doubt the override passes because people vote against their best interests. And people are so **** angry.

Yes I am a angry and baffled. We were told there would not be a special election for new Mayoral candidates because they did not want to spend for a special election then bam interim Mayor and 30/40K special override election. They knew exactly what they were doing. So no I do not trust or believe what they tell me. I love our teachers but I am voting no.

Melrose has been at the same percentage above required net school spending amount for 10 years since 2009. Where was SC ringing the alarm about net school spending since 2009? There is nothing remotely indicating we would not meet required net school spending.

No one has been Ringing the Bells or Sounding the Alarm (puns intended) for the MFD or MPD Building Needs for years. The MPS have had multiple turns at being the only priority in Melrose. Time is Up! The lack of political will and leadership regarding the Public Safety Buildings will sink the April Schools Only Override.

Do not fall for the panic of library cuts if override fails. Scare tactics. They said that the last time No cuts 🤷🏻‍♀️ Still voting no !

Over and Done
Two things I wish were over and Done.

1. The One Melrose Schools Only Campaign is divisive and makes people question the political judgement of those involved. NO on the Override.
2. Trump’s Presidency has damaged every aspect of our government and also has contributed to divisions between people here and abroad.

NO on the Override and NO to Teump.
The override I agree with.

But you spelled Obama wrong. Obama was the one who has caused this division in the country. He is the master of identity politics. Black/white gay/straight democrat/republican. He labeled everyone. Trump refers to all as Americans. It was bad under Obama but is only getting worse because the democrats and the media are still pushing what Obama began. Give us an example of what Trump has said that divides us.

May
Give us an example of what Trump has said that divides us.

YGTBSM!

It’s not just about the schools
Fellow Melrosians,

With all due respect, the override is not just about the schools. The state mandates certain minimums that are to be spent on education and especially special ed. Melrose is barely above the minimum spending requirement. So, the schools are underfunded and are forced to suck funds from the rest of the town, including fire, police, DPW, etc...

But, if the override passes, all non-Ed departments will benefit.

I really wish we would stop labeling people based on their age and how long they’ve lived in Melrose. Stop being so angry and telling people to move to a different city or town. How hateful is that? We should all be on the same team here.

I don’t want to pay more in taxes, but I’ll be voting YES. I doubt the override passes because people vote against their best interests. And people are so **** angry.
Someone who actually understands! It's more than just about the schools. The override will allow the city to keep more money on its side!

Will it fund new MFD and MPD buildings? No, then we will not Vote Yes.

Would not even consider the merits of the override until he leaves the school Committee. He may have finished serving his jail sentence but he did not finish paying his restitution to his victims and the state Bar disbarred him from practicing Ever Again because he cannot be trusted after stealing from clients . Why he is the face of the School committee is beyond me!! Cannot believe SC would have made him chair with override coming up. He certainly entitled to move on with his life, but we don’t have to trust Him.

It is big dark secret, just the way they want it.

MPD and MFD

Would not consider the merits of additional taxes in any shape, manner or form until funds are appropriated for new Fire and Police Buildings.
Voting No for the poorly conceived Schools Only debacle.

Agree Appropriate Appropriations !
Police and Fire First. First Street Family and their dog Emile would agree.

MPD and MFD

That would be a Debt Exclusion vote, not an override. Two different things.

Appropriate Appropriations
MPD and MFD

Would not consider the merits of additional taxes in any shape, manner or form until funds are appropriated for new Fire and Police Buildings.
This is continued misdirection and obfuscation by the “No-nothing” crowd...it is CLEAR that the failure of the Override will have negative impacts on all City services (including “Guns and Hoses”, which is cute). They don’t care about the Police or Fire, they just want to shoot down anything proposed by this administration.

And for the LAST TIME, and Override is different from a Debt Exclusion; the latter is used for funding new buildings. Again, “they” have to know this but would rather whine and defame.

Seriously, it’s time for y’all to get a different slant.

PS - Shame that the MTA had to cancel their “forum” for lack of interest...real shame. You hate to see that.

Think About It
MPD and MFD

That would be a Debt Exclusion vote, not an override. Two different things.

The debt exclusion for the Public Saffety Buildings should have been done years ago and put to the voters before any Override. It would have passed.
We will not vote for ANY Override until a debt exclusion is passed for Public Safety Buildings. They must be the priority. We sincerely care about the police and fire departments. Our father and brothers are policemen and our mother, sisters and daughter are teachers. We care deeply about education and schools, too. In Melrose however, Public Safety is what has been most seriously ignored and shafted. Voting NO on April 2nd.

The "What kind of school system does Melrose want" topic has xxxxxx views in just over three months. The Melrose Free Press wishes they had that kind of readership, but they are afraid to print hard news, so people come here to get real news and opinion.

Thank you, "concerned American."

We care deeply about education and schools, too. In Melrose however, Public Safety is what has been most seriously ignored and shafted. Voting NO on April 2 2019.

This is a school's override. Admit it.

Some real cost cutting measures for the city would be eliminating the redundancy at city hall where there are too many people awarded political patronage jobs but who aren't doing much work. These folks are getting expensive health insurance and other costly benefits. Lots of money to be saved there. This includes the summer rec program. There are always more kids than needed on the payroll. Unemployment is low right now. The city doesn't need to subsidize these do nothing jobs.

Next close the library on Sun. It was traditionally closed on Sundays and people planned around it. This will save money.

Remove the subsidy The EEC receives for The kids that aren't in special ed. Stop giving Taymore raises. Make some unpopular cuts that aren't designed to punish The people against your override. Be authentic and stop misrepresenting city figures.

The 80K that teacher makes is pretty good and to say otherwise is being out of touch with many people's reality. There are many people with masters degrees and 20 years work experience who don't make that much and they don't get their summers off. You yes people need to understand that many people do not make a high income. I'm not sure why it's unfathomable for you.

The proposed cuts that are not school related are targeted to make voters who don't care about the schools, care.

Disturbing is that the library had a survey recently, the city had a survey recently and then the proposed cuts were announced. I hope that the services that citizens said they liked the most weren't chosen for the proposed cuts to manipulate voters. It feels like it because some of the proposed cuts align directly with the survey questions.

The irony over the slogan One Melrose and the actual fact that we are far from one and very much divided on so many levels.

Survey Says
The proposed cuts that are not school related are targeted to make voters who don't care about the schools, care.

Disturbing is that the library had a survey recently, the city had a survey recently and then the proposed cuts were announced. I hope that the services that citizens said they liked the most weren't chosen for the proposed cuts to manipulate voters. It feels like it because some of the proposed cuts align directly with the survey questions.
That is exactly right, and it should be a huge tipoff to all taxpayers about the disingenuousness of Melrose government in general and this override proposal in particular. If they were comfortable that it would pass, they wouldn't need to do it, but because they see the handwriting on the wall and are scared to death they're going to lose - again - they resort to this crap. It tells you all you need to know about their character and their motives. The ease with which they stoop to this level should disturb us all. Shame on you.

Don't need a slant. I have realness.
This is a school's override. Admit it.

Some real cost cutting measures for the city would be eliminating the redundancy at city hall where there are too many people awarded political patronage jobs but who aren't doing much work. These folks are getting expensive health insurance and other costly benefits. Lots of money to be saved there. This includes the summer rec program. There are always more kids than needed on the payroll. Unemployment is low right now. The city doesn't need to subsidize these do nothing jobs.

Next close the library on Sun. It was traditionally closed on Sundays and people planned around it. This will save money.

Remove the subsidy The EEC receives for The kids that aren't in special ed. Stop giving Taymore raises. Make some unpopular cuts that aren't designed to punish The people against your override. Be authentic and stop misrepresenting city figures.

The 80K that teacher makes is pretty good and to say otherwise is being out of touch with many people's reality. There are many people with masters degrees and 20 years work experience who don't make that much and they don't get their summers off. You yes people need to understand that many people do not make a high income. I'm not sure why it's unfathomable for you.

“Don’t need a slant” got it right. The Override supporters know they are losing, will say anything to get their way, play on senior insecurities and threaten other services. The proposed cuts may or may not happen. The history of Melrose fiscal management is not TRUSTED. Others do not believe what comes out of City Hall and with the National and International economic forecasts will not support new taxes.

Your nickname helped, but this whole situation reminds me of the name of an old TV game show, Truth Or Consequences!

Two NO votes in out household. The incompetence of the cities administration to effectively balance the budget is a huge issue. They raise the alarm that our schools are failing because they need more funding, when the real issue is that they just what to "go to the well" thinking more tax dollars, forever, are going to solve the problem. Our schools are not failing. The city spend over 5 million on a Learning common, other upgrades to the system as a whole. Some teachers are for the override, because who would not want a raise? Teachers talk about being underpaid, but nobody talks about their contract, or the benefits they receive over and above their salary for working 10 months a year.
See you in April.....

Why would any sane person vote for this override? The school administration has NOT justified the extra money they would receive to my satisfaction. We know there numbers justifying the override are inaccurate or just plain wrong!

As Gerry Mroz has told them on numerous occasions during committee meetings - tell us how you expect student outcomes will change if you are given this extra money - and all you hear are crickets from them. They don't know - they can't tell us - therefore - no extra money!

"As Gerry Mroz has told them on numerous occasions during committee meetings - tell us how you expect student outcomes will change if you are given this extra money - and all you hear are crickets from them."

Are you sure that wasn't snoring?

Melrose has not passed an override in 25 years. What does that matter. That is proof alone that there is no need and never was.

WTF is wrong with you? Are you brain dead?

Apparently the message board is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. That's the freedom of speech.

Hiding the ball

It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates as they head into the special election on April 2. Wonder why??This is both laughable and predictable by city hall. We already pay the third highest water & sewer rate of the 66 MWRA communities. Now they are hiding the rate increase until after the special election.How much more does Melrose want us to pay? There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

https://www.manishaformelrose.com/single-post/2019/02/16/Water-Sewer-Rate-Committee-13119-Meeting-Recap
This is horrendous! I have been thinking this all along! This election is a rushed process before all this comes out. How much does this city and OneMelrose think we have ! Foolish for anyone to fall for this. How can we let the public know about this 🤬 NO NO NO

It is big dark secret, just the way they want it.

Let the games begin.

Melrose Taxpayers
Hiding the ball

It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates as they head into the special election on April 2. Wonder why??This is both laughable and predictable by city hall. We already pay the third highest water & sewer rate of the 66 MWRA communities. Now they are hiding the rate increase until after the special election.How much more does Melrose want us to pay? There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

https://www.manishaformelrose.com/single-post/2019/02/16/Water-Sewer-Rate-Committee-13119-Meeting-Recap
This is horrendous! I have been thinking this all along! This election is a rushed process before all this comes out. How much does this city and OneMelrose think we have ! Foolish for anyone to fall for this. How can we let the public know about this 🤬 NO NO NO
It is what it is.

Quite Clear
Melrose Taxpayers
Hiding the ball

It is what it is.
Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

Players
Quite Clear
Melrose Taxpayers
Hiding the ball

It is what it is.
Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

What?
May

YGTBSM!
Get over yourself.

The media is the problem with this country. The media is dividing everybody. Don't blame this on Trump. Trump is the result of the BS spewed by the Obamas of our society, trying to rip apart our history and constitution. The media loves Socialism and Trump is in the way.

NO on the override

Come On, Man
MSM
What?
May

YGTBSM!
Get over yourself.

The media is the problem with this country. The media is dividing everybody. Don\'t blame this on Trump. Trump is the result of the BS spewed by the Obamas of our society, trying to rip apart our history and constitution. The media loves Socialism and Trump is in the way.

NO on the override
Man, I'd be really embarrassed if I even thought nonsense like this, let alone actually shared it publicly. I guess that's the joy of anonymity.
Maybe Beto will save us!!

Come On, Man
MSM
Come On, Man
MSM
What?
May

YGTBSM!
Get over yourself.

The media is the problem with this country. The media is dividing everybody. Don\\\\\'t blame this on Trump. Trump is the result of the BS spewed by the Obamas of our society, trying to rip apart our history and constitution. The media loves Socialism and Trump is in the way.

NO on the override
Man, I\'d be really embarrassed if I even thought nonsense like this, let alone actually shared it publicly. I guess that\'s the joy of anonymity.
Probably not, no. Definitely keep guessing which candidate I support though. You'll get it eventually.

Come On, Man
MSM
Come On, Man
MSM
What?
May

YGTBSM!
Get over yourself.

The media is the problem with this country. The media is dividing everybody. Don\\\\\'t blame this on Trump. Trump is the result of the BS spewed by the Obamas of our society, trying to rip apart our history and constitution. The media loves Socialism and Trump is in the way.

NO on the override
Man, I\'d be really embarrassed if I even thought nonsense like this, let alone actually shared it publicly. I guess that\'s the joy of anonymity.
Probably not, no. Definitely keep guessing which candidate I support though. You'll get it eventually.
Anyone but Trump is the wrong one

Liberals are the smartest people on this board; just ask any of them.

1 2