Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Melrose Taxpayers Alliance LYING to Businesses and MM keeps censoring

Come On, Man
Neither is "well just reneg on the retirement and Healthcare pledges that we have made to previous employees!" we made promises. We will keep them.

You bet your a$$ you'll keep them. Retirements are a matter of law, and healthcare is a labor contract issue, unless you're one of the plethora of patronage part timers who aren't in any union and haven't reached retirement yet. If you're looking for a good way to get indictments issued or lawsuits filed, go right ahead and try it. You will post anything, no matter how stupid, won't you?

facts
I was present a couple meetings ago when one of the new School Committee members went up to a citizen, someone who cares passionately and actually knows more than any official in the room, and said he was "incredibly disgusting"!

So....either McAndrew, Razi-Thomas, or Obremski. Gee - I wonder WITCH one it was? LOL!

Re: Melrose Taxpayers Alliance

Not Even Surprised
facts
I was present a couple meetings ago when one of the new School Committee members went up to a citizen, someone who cares passionately and actually knows more than any official in the room, and said he was "incredibly disgusting"!

So....either McAndrew, Razi-Thomas, or Obremski. Gee - I wonder WITCH one it was? LOL!
These woman should star in their own production of "Mean Girls"....

Come On, Man
Just Try It
Come On, Man
Neither is \"well just reneg on the retirement and Healthcare pledges that we have made to previous employees!\" we made promises. We will keep them.

You bet your a$$ you\'ll keep them. Retirements are a matter of law, and healthcare is a labor contract issue, unless you\'re one of the plethora of patronage part timers who aren\'t in any union and haven\'t reached retirement yet. If you\'re looking for a good way to get indictments issued or lawsuits filed, go right ahead and try it. You will post anything, no matter how stupid, won\'t you?
Dude, read my post. I was saying that that is a terrible idea, and one that I have heard many no voters make, even though it's obviously a terrible idea.

Reading comprehension matters. Particularly if you're going to be insulting.
More DEATH threats and threats of violence from One Melrose... so enough!! Your threatening older woman? Come on!

Stop lying. Unless you have proof then stop tear unsubstantiated claims. I am a member of most of the FB communities and have been watching this Overriws debate. As a mere observer, One Melrose seems to me to have been overly transparent and inclusive. They have debated the facts against brutal name calling from MM and the Uncensored message board. They seem to be hosting a lot of in person meetings to explain their position to citizens of the City. I haven’t seen as much from the MTA, who seem to be saying “you can’t trust the City” and don’t offer much else other than that.

My impression is that the information on their websites and their materials favors One Melrose...the MTA website is clunky and doesn’t seem to have much in the way of facts.

Accusing either side of death threats or threats of violence is ridiculous. Neither side has gotten to that point and obviously shouldn’t get to that point about a debate on financial matters. Hyperbole is not needed here.

I beg to differ. While the MTA site isn't flashy, it does mention good substantial facts or points, information for one to weigh against the opposing side.
But on your comment of hyperbole and stating that "Neither side has gotten to that point" is far off the mark. There have been violent words spoken to others and has been documented and or properly reported.

Not Even Surprised
facts

I had a similar experience at one of these listening sessions. I simply stated that the prior override failed because voters perceived (correctly) that the city and school department were not being transparent; were not releasing requested critical information to aldermen and even school committee members in violation of public records laws. And in order for an override to pass residents will need to feel confident that there is transparency and that they are being told the truth. I got evil stares from school committee members and city employees as if I had just publicly exposed their secret strategy.

Can’t Stop Won’t Stop
MTA is going to businesses and lying to them to push the “no” agenda, telling them that the Override is only to raise commercial taxes. Shameful lying tactics, and now they are caught doing it. This was a thread yesterday, but Melrose Messages removed any threads talking about this...so you can anonymously disparage public officials but posting a statement from a businesses that was lied to by the MTA crosses the line?

Can’t stop, won’t stop posting about this...

I can't believe you are complaining. You probably would walk blocks to get your //////// downtown. Why aren't you worried about the bigger problems in Melrose schools? And the city?

Yesterday
Can’t Stop Won’t Stop
MTA is going to businesses and lying to them to push the “no” agenda, telling them that the Override is only to raise commercial taxes. Shameful lying tactics, and now they are caught doing it. This was a thread yesterday, but Melrose Messages removed any threads talking about this...so you can anonymously disparage public officials but posting a statement from a businesses that was lied to by the MTA crosses the line?

Can’t stop, won’t stop posting about this...

I can't believe you are complaining. You probably would walk blocks to get your //////// downtown. Why aren't you worried about the bigger problems in Melrose schools? And the city?
You come to this site as do others because it provides information and insight on the schools and city government that city hall and the school department simply refuses to release. Over the last several years the worst this city has to offer spent hundreds and thousands of dollars attempting to obstruct public records laws and open meeting laws to the point that our own elected representatives on the school committee and in the aldermanic chamber have had to file multiple complaints with the AG's Office and Secretary of State's office just to get even basic information in order to make informed decisions on important votes.

The difference between you and others who come to this site is that you and your cabal use the information to figure out how do damage control and prevent future leaks of city/school administrator malfeasance and stupidity.

The others on this site use the information to better our city and schools and make informed decisions on important future override decisions and elections.

Re: Melrose Taxpayers Medeiros: need unobstructed view

from the M Free Press:

Opinion: Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view
Posted at 12:40 PM Updated at 12:41 PM

Submitted by Alderman Monica Medeiros.

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed $5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

In preparing for this vote, I learned that our city had much bigger problems than I had suspected. Namely that the executives in our city government have failed to do any long term evaluation of our financial outlook.

I felt it critical to have a full understanding of the financial assumptions the city was making before I could vote to pass such a hefty burden on to seniors and families.

After asking Mayor Infurna for copies of any long range budget forecasts that had been prepared and used by the City of Melrose over the last five years, I was forced to appeal to the Secretary of State’s office for this information only to learn that no such documents exist.

The Mayor’s office directed me to a tool on our city website, “Visual Budget.” In the Aldermen meeting, I asked our CFO & Auditor Patrick Dello Russo if this was the tool he was using to make our predictions in terms of revenues and expenditures. His reply? “We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.”

Try as I might, I could not seem to match the “Visual Budget” figures to the actual budgets I had voted on. Days later, Kerriann Golden, our Assistant Auditor confirmed, “The last actual figures reflected are Fiscal 2016,” -- two full fiscal years behind.

The outdated “Visual Budget” data was not only a waste of thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on this service, but also so inaccurate that it was actually misleading to the public. Most importantly, it could not have been being used as an accurate tool for evaluating our city’s financial outlook by anyone including our city executives.

Melrose is at a crossroads. Real estate prices have skyrocketed to an all-time high. Many new families have chosen Melrose for its great schools, beautiful downtown and its relative affordability.

Conversely, many of our families, seniors and one-income households are struggling. Recently, a Melrose Housing Authority Commissioner testified at our meeting that the waitlist for housing of Melrose families, seniors, Veterans and the handicap is in the thousands.

Sadly, I hear from residents who are told if they can’t afford this increase, they should move along. But where will they go? After paying their taxes for years, volunteering in our community, donating to all kinds of causes, including our schools, they are told they haven’t paid their “fair share” and should move along. I can think of little that is so cruel.

Even for those of us who are working, many of us are only one lockout or government shutdown away from being in financial peril.

But regardless of income, every taxpayer deserves good fiscal management.

As an Alderman-at-Large, my job is to consider the big picture ramifications of our decisions, especially when it comes to spending and taxation. When it comes to the big picture, the taxpayers deserve an unobstructed view.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly $2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

Before final decisions are made, the voters also need to know that large expenditures are waiting in the wings. What’s not included in this override, may be most significant.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although $250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Plans are in the works for the rebuilding or repair of the police and fire stations, and renovations of the library. Whether or not this question passes, each of these is expected to be presented to the voters in the form of an increase above the Prop 2 ½ limit.

Like our taxpayers, our leaders need a panoramic view before they make decisions that affect individuals so significantly. Financial forecasting in budgeting has been considered a best practice for more than a decade. Melrose can do better. Before any tax increase is considered, our taxpayers deserve an objective analysis of our financial picture and an independent audit of our books.

Demand accountability. Vote NO.

Monica Mederios is full of crap. She’s been on the BOA for over ten years. She voted for these budgets. If there really is a problem with transparency and oversight then why hasn’t she done anything about it until two weeks before the override election? Oh that’s right, because it’s a political move to motivate her base supporters, likely to try to set herself up to be the front running republican for mayor in a year and a half.

Her political move is entirely transparent and compleltely undermines the story she’s made up about not having complete Information.

It saddens me that anyone believes the story at face value and doesn’t see the longer play she’s going for.

Truth and Transparency
from the M Free Press:

Last November, I, as an Alderman, voted against moving the Mayor’s proposed $5.18 million tax override question forward. I felt the city had not been thorough enough in evaluating our financial picture, nor in considering the effects of adding these millions of dollars of new spending.

In preparing for this vote, I learned that our city had much bigger problems than I had suspected. Namely that the executives in our city government have failed to do any long term evaluation of our financial outlook.

I felt it critical to have a full understanding of the financial assumptions the city was making before I could vote to pass such a hefty burden on to seniors and families.

After asking Mayor Infurna for copies of any long range budget forecasts that had been prepared and used by the City of Melrose over the last five years, I was forced to appeal to the Secretary of State’s office for this information only to learn that no such documents exist.

The Mayor’s office directed me to a tool on our city website, “Visual Budget.” In the Aldermen meeting, I asked our CFO & Auditor Patrick Dello Russo if this was the tool he was using to make our predictions in terms of revenues and expenditures. His reply? “We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.”

Try as I might, I could not seem to match the “Visual Budget” figures to the actual budgets I had voted on. Days later, Kerriann Golden, our Assistant Auditor confirmed, “The last actual figures reflected are Fiscal 2016,” -- two full fiscal years behind.

The outdated “Visual Budget” data was not only a waste of thousands of taxpayer dollars spent on this service, but also so inaccurate that it was actually misleading to the public. Most importantly, it could not have been being used as an accurate tool for evaluating our city’s financial outlook by anyone including our city executives.

Melrose is at a crossroads. Real estate prices have skyrocketed to an all-time high. Many new families have chosen Melrose for its great schools, beautiful downtown and its relative affordability.

Conversely, many of our families, seniors and one-income households are struggling. Recently, a Melrose Housing Authority Commissioner testified at our meeting that the waitlist for housing of Melrose families, seniors, Veterans and the handicap is in the thousands.

Sadly, I hear from residents who are told if they can’t afford this increase, they should move along. But where will they go? After paying their taxes for years, volunteering in our community, donating to all kinds of causes, including our schools, they are told they haven’t paid their “fair share” and should move along. I can think of little that is so cruel.

Even for those of us who are working, many of us are only one lockout or government shutdown away from being in financial peril.

As an Alderman-at-Large, my job is to consider the big picture ramifications of our decisions, especially when it comes to spending and taxation. When it comes to the big picture, the taxpayers deserve an unobstructed view.

If our leaders are not looking forward to ensure we can sustain the costs associated with the hiring of nearly 30 new positions and school department raises (not teachers only) of nearly $2 million included in this proposal, every one of these positions is at risk.

Before final decisions are made, the voters also need to know that large expenditures are waiting in the wings. What’s not included in this override, may be most significant.

This proposed tax increase includes no money for any other city department other than the schools. Although $250,000 is included in the override for the loss of rent from Beebe School, no plan exists to bring this building back online and fund the staff, renovation nor utility costs. As we make room for some Melrose students, we will disrupt the lives of the 30 or so Melrose special needs children who currently attend the SEEM Collaborative who will be uprooted and bussed to a new school outside our city limits.

Plans are in the works for the rebuilding or repair of the police and fire stations, and renovations of the library. Whether or not this question passes, each of these is expected to be presented to the voters in the form of an increase above the Prop 2 ½ limit.

Like our taxpayers, our leaders need a panoramic view before they make decisions that affect individuals so significantly. Financial forecasting in budgeting has been considered a best practice for more than a decade. Melrose can do better. Before any tax increase is considered, our taxpayers deserve an objective analysis of our financial picture and an independent audit of our books.

Water Sewer RATES

Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.
Faced with a Recession, what part of "We Can't afford It" do they not understand ?
Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.

Vote.April 2 2019 Tuesday .
Truth and Transparency
from the M Free Press:

Water Sewer RATES

Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.
Faced with a Recession, what part of "We Can't afford It" do they not understand ?
Two weeks until this override.APRIL 2 2019 AND the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.
It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates as they head into the special election on April 2. Wonder why??This is both laughable and predictable by city hall. We already pay the third highest water & sewer rate of the 66 MWRA communities. Now they are hiding the rate increase until after the special election.How much more does Melrose want us to pay? There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.Override Overboard On April 2 2019.

https://www.manishaformelrose.com/single-post/2019/02/16/Water-Sewer-Rate-Committee-13119-Meeting-Recap

Tuesday Interesting
Vote.April 2 2019 Tuesday .
Truth and Transparency
from the M Free Press:

Water Sewer RATES

Faced with a Recession, what part of \"We Can\'t afford It\" do they not understand ?
It’s interesting the water and sewer rates increases will be recommended on April 30, 2019. Four weeks after the special election. Apparently the city doesn’t want residents to be thinking about the increase water& sewer rates as they head into the special election on April 2. Wonder why??This is both laughable and predictable by city hall. We already pay the third highest water & sewer rate of the 66 MWRA communities. Now they are hiding the rate increase until after the special election.How much more does Melrose want us to pay? There is currently $1.46million in reserves in the water & sewer enterprise funds.Override Overboard On April 2 2019.

https://www.manishaformelrose.com/single-post/2019/02/16/Water-Sewer-Rate-Committee-13119-Meeting-Recap
Medeiros: Taxpayers need unobstructed view

from the M Free Press: