Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Send this Override Overboard!

Would not consider the merits of additional taxes in any shape, manner or form until funds are appropriated for new Fire and Police Buildings.
Voting No for the poorly conceived Schools Only debacle.

Melrose needs a cleansing flush.No Override.

So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019

Vote.April 2 2019 Tuesday .
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019
https://www.manishaformelrose.com/single-post/2019/02/16/Water-Sewer-Rate-Committee-13119-Meeting-Recap
This is horrendous! I have been thinking this all along! This election is a rushed process before all this comes out. How much does this city and OneMelrose think we have ! Foolish for anyone to fall for this. How can we let the public know about this 🤬 NO NO NO

What about parents who have never had children in this school system, who are currently sending their kids to a parochial school? Their costs rise every year and now we are asking them to pay into a pot that they've never taken from. I realize the school system is a community expense, but does anyone ever think of these families? Just a thought....

????
What about parents who have never had children in this school system, who are currently sending their kids to a parochial school? Their costs rise every year and now we are asking them to pay into a pot that they've never taken from. I realize the school system is a community expense, but does anyone ever think of these families? Just a thought....
No. No one is considering them. They will pay taxes in any city they live in for schools their kids don't attend. That was their choice.

Good schools are a community benefit, even for those who don't attend.

I\\\'m serious
????
What about parents who have never had children in this school system, who are currently sending their kids to a parochial school? Their costs rise every year and now we are asking them to pay into a pot that they\\\\\\\'ve never taken from. I realize the school system is a community expense, but does anyone ever think of these families? Just a thought....
No. No one is considering them. They will pay taxes in any city they live in for schools their kids don\\\'t attend. That was their choice.

Good schools are a community benefit, even for those who don\\\'t attend.
Good schools are not a community benefit for people that don't have children in the schools. To say otherwise makes no sense.

You might be making the tired high home values argument and here is something you know about but are choosing to ignore because it doesn't fit with your scheme to fleece the tax payers here.

Somerville and Cambridge. How are the schools there? How are the home and condo prices? Thought so.

Please stop
I\\\\\\\'m serious
????
What about parents who have never had children in this school system, who are currently sending their kids to a parochial school? Their costs rise every year and now we are asking them to pay into a pot that they\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve never taken from. I realize the school system is a community expense, but does anyone ever think of these families? Just a thought....
No. No one is considering them. They will pay taxes in any city they live in for schools their kids don\\\\\\\'t attend. That was their choice.

Good schools are a community benefit, even for those who don\\\\\\\'t attend.
Good schools are not a community benefit for people that don't have children in the schools. I keep reading this and it makes no sense whatsoever.

You might be making the tired high home values argument and here is something you know about but are choosing to ignore because it doesn't fit with your scheme to fleece the tax payers here.

Somerville and Cambridge. How are the schools there? How are the home and condo prices? Thought so.
It's not just about home prices. It's also about the fact that I don't want to live in a city, state, or country full of stupid people. So we need to make sure that we give the ones in our community the best education we can. An educated public serves us all.

Parents who chose to pay directly for their children's education through private school, religious school or home school should not have to pay any local taxes which are earmarked for the local public school budget. They are doing their part to educate the future generation and should not have to pay twice.

People who remain childless should not have to pay either. Why is it assumed that they have to subsidize your breeding? Their contribution to future generation is a less crowded world.

If indeed you "....don't want to live in a city, state, or country full of stupid people.", I can't believe that you're still here. Didn't the results of the last national election, and our current leadership 'problems' show you that what you don't want has already occurred?

And never having had children in this, or any other school system, I have certainly paid MORE than my share for other people's education!

You're not the beneficiary of anybody's education when you type into your computer.

Pardon??

Re: Send this Override Overboard!April 2 2019 Tuesday

So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .Vote NO ON APRIL 2 2019

A “NO’ vote means “yes” to cuts in these services.

Council on Aging: Cut $48,214
* Limit Milano Center hours to 8am-1pm (no afternoon programs)
* Cut COA Minibus transportation by 70%
* Reduce volunteer coordinator hours to 2 hrs/wk

Not a scare tactic, not even espousing a position, just sharing real information. No response required.

We do not believe you and are voting no

http://www.massbudget.org/report_window.php?loc=Facts_10_22_10.html

Just leaving this here in case anyone cares how the state gives aid to the local school districts...(I know, pretty boring stuff)

BTW....State Chapter 70 aid is supposedly increasing by 200 million in 2020

Facts
A “NO’ vote means “yes” to cuts in these services.

Council on Aging: Cut \$48,214
* Limit Milano Center hours to 8am-1pm (no afternoon programs)
* Cut COA Minibus transportation by 70%
* Reduce volunteer coordinator hours to 2 hrs/wk

Not a scare tactic, not even espousing a position, just sharing real information. No response required.
This was put out to manipulate and scare people and on that fact alone people should vote NO. Anyone who wants to blackmail seniors does not deserve to prevail. Seniors should be not be subjected to this and it reveals the mindset of the yes crowd.

Cut of one the do nothing patronage positions at city hall and you would have this amount of money available.

Dangerous is an interesting word choice. The use of “Dangerous” encourages fear and insecurity which is what this Override has been all about because of scare tactics and lies. This Override debacle has caused a serious and ugly divide which was not necessary. The Override discussion should have waited until the 11-19 Mayoral election. No unelected (seen as illegitimate by many) puppet “leader” should ever have put the Override forward. Melrose is far from “One “Community Open to All” and we are far from being “One Melrose”. Off to vote No with a very heavy heart!