Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Override of course

Dad
Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.
Faced with a Recession, what part of "We Can't afford It" do they not understand ?

The paras are menaced for failure after the two year contract is up. CT had already manage this with the fake paras and teachers union. So long paras if the override fails in April you will know who to thank.

Why is she still the superintendent of schools... Ask the school committee that question they know the story too...!

Then an audit should be done along with where is the money being spent. She has no reason not to tell the tax payers like myself with no children in the schools who, what, where and when.

If you want a better school system, move to an affluent community. Melrose is middle class, nothing more, nothing less.

Melrose has always thought the "we" are Lynnfield and Winchester, when we've always been Wakefield, Stoneham, and Medford, and there's nothing wrong with being middle class.

Don't be obtuse. Melrose kids would get a quality education if the administration wasn't totally incompetent.

That's true. Melrose had a chance to get a quality administrator with a proven track record, and instead opted for Taymore. They were were warned she would be a problem, but they ignored all advice not to hire her.

The Mismanagement lack of Transparency and Coverups. No on any Override.

mvmms
The paras are menaced for failure after the two year contract is up. CT had already manage this with the fake paras and teachers union. So long paras if the override fails in April you will know who to thank.
If your child’s IEP states that a paraprofessional is needed they cannot just take that away.

Parent
mvmms
If your child’s IEP states that a paraprofessional is needed they cannot just take that away.
Not in the middle or elementary schools don't know about the HS.

My kid was on an IEP at the middle school. The first week of class, the English teacher told her "I'm not going to follow your IEP, I am treating you just like everyone else." That cost the tax payer $50,000 a year till she graduated high school. Multiply that by about 30 times per graduating class and you get the idea how the superintendent's thoughtlessness for children is costing the tax payer multi-millions of dollars per year. That does not even account for the multiple civil rights violations per year costing the Melrose taxpayers millions more for their incompetence. The superintendent and the city solicitor think they are smart asses, illegally retaliating against families with kids that have educational needs thinking they will just leave the school district. The Melrose taxpayers think they are just incompetent asses who are costing the taxpayers millions. Dig a little deeper, if the "One Melrose" lemmings will let you know where your tax dollar is being wasted (they won't). And to top it off, the current SC chair nominates an ex-con, convicted of stealing well over a million from clients to oversee a $30 million + budget?? Wow, just wow. How did we vote in such incompetents into office? Sad to say but we get what we deserve.

Do we deserve Paul Brodeur as the next Mayor?

The Mismanagement lack of Transparency and Coverups.

Very long discussion on MCG about the override. Someone always brings up how Melrose taxes are lower than comparable towns. A woman commented that she is paying $7500/year. I thought mine was high at $6400 for my 6 small rooms on slightly over 4000 sq ft. The average lot size in Melrose is between 5 and 6 thousand square ft. $7500 is outrageous. Maybe someone in Reading is paying $8000 on a similar house (doubtful) but I’m sure their lot size is probably close to double a Melrose lot size. Also the amount we pay in water in sewer definitely brings us up to par with what those is those towns pay for both. I’m sick of being duped. All the apt buildings were supposed to help. Reality is they’ve overpopulated the city and still want us to pay for it.
The yessers also use the argument of better schools, increased property values. Well the schools have not changed in years yet my property values have almost quadrupled in 19 years. I grew up here. I rented half a duplex for $750/mo before buying my home for $220000. Now you can’t even rent the same size apt for triple what I rented for. I would I’ve for my teens to be able to buy here but with the home prices and rising property taxes there will be no way. One wants to be a firefighter and one a nurse. Both admirable, hardworking professions yet they won’t be able to afford Melrose, unlike their predecessors in the same fields could 25 years ago. So stop talking about continuing rising property values AND taxes as if it’s a wonderful thing. Not at these rates anyway.

Seems that those who are buying now are all leftist types who had college funds, were coddled by their parents, have little to no student debt, were given $100000 for down payment but realized living in cities like Cambridge and Somerville wasn’t quite worth the money and decided to pay astronomical amounts for tiny homes in Melrose, it doesn’t have the crime or, at least not yet, the traffic. So they move to Melrose and are transforming it into their own little progressive, hip, slice of heaven. Well I have 15 or so years before I can retire, sell and move. I’m a blue collar union worker who works hard and thankfully has a pension plan and an annuity because I can’t afford to save much otherwise. I will not be forced out before I’m ready because of tax and water rates. I will vote NO and there’s not an argument in the world that will change my mind.

Just don't assume that progressives are pro-override and unnecessarily alienate them. The progressives in Melrose I know personally all appear to be strongly inclined to vote against the override, as they are aware that Melrose's school committee and city hall cultures are strongly self-protective and opaque, which are not pluses if you want accountable popular government.

John
Very long discussion on MCG about the override. Someone always brings up how Melrose taxes are lower than comparable towns. A woman commented that she is paying $7500/year. I thought mine was high at $6400 for my 6 small rooms on slightly over 4000 sq ft. The average lot size in Melrose is between 5 and 6 thousand square ft. $7500 is outrageous. Maybe someone in Reading is paying $8000 on a similar house (doubtful) but I’m sure their lot size is probably close to double a Melrose lot size. Also the amount we pay in water in sewer definitely brings us up to par with what those is those towns pay for both. I’m sick of being duped. All the apt buildings were supposed to help. Reality is they’ve overpopulated the city and still want us to pay for it.
The yessers also use the argument of better schools, increased property values. Well the schools have not changed in years yet my property values have almost quadrupled in 19 years. I grew up here. I rented half a duplex for $750/mo before buying my home for $220000. Now you can’t even rent the same size apt for triple what I rented for. I would I’ve for my teens to be able to buy here but with the home prices and rising property taxes there will be no way. One wants to be a firefighter and one a nurse. Both admirable, hardworking professions yet they won’t be able to afford Melrose, unlike their predecessors in the same fields could 25 years ago. So stop talking about continuing rising property values AND taxes as if it’s a wonderful thing. Not at these rates anyway.

Seems that those who are buying now are all leftist types who had college funds, were coddled by their parents, have little to no student debt, were given $100000 for down payment but realized living in cities like Cambridge and Somerville wasn’t quite worth the money and decided to pay astronomical amounts for tiny homes in Melrose, it doesn’t have the crime or, at least not yet, the traffic. So they move to Melrose and are transforming it into their own little progressive, hip, slice of heaven. Well I have 15 or so years before I can retire, sell and move. I’m a blue collar union worker who works hard and thankfully has a pension plan and an annuity because I can’t afford to save much otherwise. I will not be forced out before I’m ready because of tax and water rates. I will vote NO and there’s not an argument in the world that will change my mind.
Get off your high horse, dude. I had college debt. I come from lower middle class. No one gave me any money for a down payment on this house, either of my parents would have laughed at the idea of a trust fund, and my marine father would have loved hearing all about how coddled I was.

I'll be voting yes, and am a consistent progressive.

Don't negatively generalize people like me because of political differences, and I won't generalize people like you.

And your side thinks the yes voters are being too mean. Ridiculous.

"Don't negatively generalize people like me because of political differences, and I won't generalize people like you.

And your side thinks the yes voters are being too mean. Ridiculous."

Likewise, don't negatively generalize all opponents or skeptics of the override. Many of them are also progressives. being a progressive doesn't necessarily entail support of this override as proposed. If that surprises you, so be it.

Concerned Melrosian
"Don't negatively generalize people like me because of political differences, and I won't generalize people like you.

And your side thinks the yes voters are being too mean. Ridiculous."

Likewise, don't negatively generalize all opponents or skeptics of the override. Many of them are also progressives. being a progressive doesn't necessarily entail support of this override as proposed. If that surprises you, so be it.
I didn't generalize anyone. I was responding to and claiming some but not all of the labels that you put on all the yes voters. I'm sure some progressives are voting no, as some conservatives are voting yes. Labels don't matter nearly as much in local politics.

I don't want to pay more taxes either. But more than that, I don't want my kids going to underfunded schools.

Our water rates are out of control. I get anxiety if I hear someone running the water for more than 5 seconds or flushing the toilet twice.

"But more than that, I don't want my kids going to underfunded schools."

Throwing more money at the schools will not really help them where they need help: regime change in the administration. If anything, withholding more coin is more likely to further what needs to be done first. I lived in this city when the decadent GOP insiderism was a costly problem, and we have the same thing now just under the successor regime.

Never Answered
The reason you don't see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration's propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can't dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it's prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can't get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we've allowed to happen.
Do enough voters know about this site? Maybe someone ought to post about it on the uncensored page. If it was posted on the regular community page it would probably be violating standards and be deleted.

Go to sleep, Seamus, you’re not helping. Why don’t you do something instead of asking others to do your job?

IT IS WHAT IT IS.This is Melrose Mass 02176.

I still smile whenever i think of that override getting flushed down the toilet by the realistic people in our city.

Melrose had a chance to get a quality administrator with a proven track record, and instead opted for Taymore. They were were warned she would be a problem, but they ignored all advice not to hire her.

I will vote for the override when it involves building a new police and fire stations, that’s it. When will the city administration’s learn that the people have had it with spending all this ridiculous money on the schools.

Water Sewer RATES
Dad
Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.
Faced with a Recession, what part of \"We Can\'t afford It\" do they not understand ?
We don’t make predictions. This is not a magic show.” Unobstructed View this is about money .No answer not good.

So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019

Seamus
Never Answered
The reason you don\'t see many administration supporters posting here is because every time they do try to pass on the administration\'s propaganda, they are totally and thoroughly debunked with facts they can\'t dispute.

The administration is scared to death of this site, both now, and in it\'s prior incarnation. Why else do you think Dolan banned access to it, a practice that continues to this day?

This is the only place where voters can get even a portion of the truth. They certainly can\'t get it from city officials, who continue to mislead, obfuscate, and outright lie about all things fiscal. Melrose is a house of cards. The sooner that house of cards collapses, the sooner we can get a mulligan and fix the mess we\'ve allowed to happen.
Do enough voters know about this site? Maybe someone ought to post about it on the uncensored page. If it was posted on the regular community page it would probably be violating standards and be deleted.
Apparently the message board is doing the job it's supposed to be doing. That's the freedom of speech.