Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiscal Realities

The most incompetent, unstable and vindictive “leader” in our country’s history released his Budget this week. Major reductions in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Department of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency. Voters must be conservative about their savings and spending. Melrose politicians who practice “fake news” transparency seem not to be listening very well. Voting NO because no one is looking out for the middle class or my family. We are voting NO on 4-2. We do not trust local or national politicians. Unfortunately, tone deaf politicians didn’t understand the worries or financial realities of middle class voters which gave us an insane President enabled by gutless members of Congress. “One Melrose” does not understand the worries or financial realities of the majority of Melrose Voters which why this Override will fail. The “dog and pony shows” “led” by tone deaf and unelected GI certainly makes matters worse.

Re: Fiscal Realities

How else would the Repugs pay for the multi-trillion dollar tax break for the rich and corporations?
But the local override battle is predominantly a battle between the 45-70 year old homeowners who have seen this override scare tactics before and the younger households with two white collar incomes who had mommy and daddy pay for their college education. You can blame the local realtors and their false marketing campaign making Melrose the "hottest zipcode", with "excellent schools" for pricing retirees and their children out of the Melrose market. But the realtors don't care, they just wanted their outsized commissions.

1 Mel = 1 %
Voting No on the Override because we CANNOT afford it !

Trump’s latest budget proposals includes major cuts to subsidized student loans and eliminates the Public Service Student Forgiveness Program. Not good news for us. We are parents of a high school senior currently filling out financial aid paperwork and another daughter who cannot afford graduate school yet because of cost. 4 votes in our household against the Override next month.

That is truly sad. Isn't it amazing that people complain about the cost of college and grad school, but nobody ever questions WHY colleges are charging these rates for 'careers' that you can't support yourself on?? It is maddening to me! If there's one thing that needs regulating and changing it's what these institutions are fleecing our kids over for a so-called higher education. Unreal.

Trumpinomics
How else would the Repugs pay for the multi-trillion dollar tax break for the rich and corporations?
But the local override battle is predominantly a battle between the 45-70 year old homeowners who have seen this override scare tactics before and the younger households with two white collar incomes who had mommy and daddy pay for their college education. You can blame the local realtors and their false marketing campaign making Melrose the "hottest zipcode", with "excellent schools" for pricing retirees and their children out of the Melrose market. But the realtors don't care, they just wanted their outsized commissions.
I'm voting yes.

I put myself through college. A state school. My wife and I worked hard to be able to move to Melrose, which we did before Melrose became one of the hottest
Zip codes. Now we live frugally on one income so I can stay home with our children. And while we dont relish the idea of paying more taxes, we believe in the importance of making this investment for the community as a whole, not just the schools.

It's fine that you disagree, but no need to patronize the people who disagree with you. I dont know where this "we are all just whiny rich people" narrative came from, but most of the yes voters I know are not the wealthy in Melrose.

"And while we dont relish the idea of paying more taxes, we believe in the importance of making this investment for the community as a whole, not just the schools. "

THIS is what's sad. The brainwashed well-intentioned Melrosians who believe the spin and fear tactics of the elected and paid officials, only one of whom (Ms. Medeiros) is actually speaking about real data and tries to get the facts from the rest of them and is routinely denied (illegally).

This is a corrupt city government, plain and simple. Many of those officials who are constructing this panic around the superintendent's and mayor's bogus false constructs know full well that the numbers are cooked, but they are jumping on the bandwagon because they fear that in such a small-minded community it would be political suicide to do otherwise. Shame on them for having no spine and no concern for the real, actual state of affairs. Those who are buying it all are just not using their heads. The numbers aren't supportable because they are based on fraudulent quicksand of bad reporting and false deductions.

This isn't an "investment for the community." It's an out-and-out fraud. It's not a "one-time" expenditure for taxpayers, either, though the spin continues to veer wildly that way.