Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overide

First post in a while. I apoligize in advance for any spelling/grammer errors. Prop 2-1/2 overides are by there very nature contentious; other than the same dozen MM dingbats with a million phony names, most folks on either side of debate have been quite civil about this.

Personally I'm a "no" on this: I'd like to give you my take and see if you agree.

Picture everyone you know from school, regardless of your age. Think of the type of person they were as kids and picture them as they are now. With few exceptions, just about everyone I've known has turned out just about the way I would have envisioned. When was the last time you remeniced about anyone thinking "If only the public school system spent more on him/her."

Melrose schools (and town services in general) while not perfect are quite good. Every organization and their cheerleaders always believe that they could do more if only they had more. It's simply human nature.

The fact is just about every student will turn out more or less what we think they will be right now. For Melrose kids this is an overwhelmingly positive thing, and no amount of money will push the neeedle much better. An overide will do nothing to help our kids, it'll just buy administrators a little bit of an accounting headache, and take away from our wallets.

Everyone keep your chin up - this isn't the end of the world, hardly the end of Melrose, regardless of which way the vote goes. I'm a middle aged Melrosian - parents were MHS kids, as am I, as are my kids. We're all doing fine.

Re: Overide

Melrose Lifer

First post in a while. I apoligize in advance for any spelling/grammer errors. Prop 2-1/2 overides are by there very nature contentious; other than the same dozen MM dingbats with a million phony names, most folks on either side of debate have been quite civil about this.

Personally I'm a "no" on this: I'd like to give you my take and see if you agree.

Picture everyone you know from school, regardless of your age. Think of the type of person they were as kids and picture them as they are now. With few exceptions, just about everyone I've known has turned out just about the way I would have envisioned. When was the last time you remeniced about anyone thinking "If only the public school system spent more on him/her."

Melrose schools (and town services in general) while not perfect are quite good. Every organization and their cheerleaders always believe that they could do more if only they had more. It's simply human nature.

The fact is just about every student will turn out more or less what we think they will be right now. For Melrose kids this is an overwhelmingly positive thing, and no amount of money will push the neeedle much better. An overide will do nothing to help our kids, it'll just buy administrators a little bit of an accounting headache, and take away from our wallets.

Everyone keep your chin up - this isn't the end of the world, hardly the end of Melrose, regardless of which way the vote goes. I'm a middle aged Melrosian - parents were MHS kids, as am I, as are my kids. We're all doing fine.
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .Vote NO ON APRIL 2 2019