Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teachers contract 2020-2022

Everyone interested in where the override revenue is going....Pay attention to the collective bargaining agreement for 2020..... The current agreement ends August 2019. Will the teachers get a raise? How much will all of the administrators get for a raise? Remember....1.9 million of the 5.18 million override is for teacher and administrator salaries. (because they were leaving in droves and woefully underpaid)

Re: Teachers contract 2020-2022

That's great teachers worked hard for the override. Some teachers would stand and hold signs talk to students and parents.

Teachers worked hard to get a raise out of the Melrose taxpayers....most don't have skin in the game other than working in Melrose....

There were AFSCME union employees paid to hold signs for the override Tuesday. I saw their AFSCME swag as I walked by to vote. I don't expect they're Melrose taxpayers. How much of the override money came from teachers who stood to gain, from their unions, and from the politicians who take money from unions or want to?

Here is the link to the cities meeting schedule where you will find the meeting dates, and agenda....Teachers collective bargaining contract talks are going to take place and spoken about April 9th, 2019

http://melrosecityma.iqm2.com/citizens/default.aspx

VOTE NO
Teachers worked hard to get a raise out of the Melrose taxpayers....most don't have skin in the game other than working in Melrose....
I am curious whether the current contract permits them to work second jobs. There is a middle school English teacher who apparently is operating as a real estate agent on the side, hardly a part time job. Yet she never hands back home work or tests back to the students so they can learn from their mistakes. The parents wonder if she even grades them. Yet she is working in a nearby town as a real estate agent?

What gives?

A regular work year is 260 days.. teachers work 180.. average work day 8.5 hours because of mandatory lunches.. teachers 6 hours.. every year their union promises 2% the rest of the country .75%.. we gave them a milllion dollars a few years ago and then asked them to work less. If you take what they make in 180 days break it down into an hourly and then times it over a REAL work year they make almost 100k. We heard they have to prepare and do corrections well you have two hours each day and 70 or more extra days off a year.. teachers of course worked for the override we listened to a principle. 104,000 with 2% from union plus 6% from the override plus steps and lanes well that’s over 20k in one night. Have I lost faith in their nobility.. absolutely.. my second problem. They held signs and spoke to students about voting yes now a REAL educator would have presented the issue and let the kids debate both sides. Called critical thinking and not indoctrination. Say why you want but having yes chants is fine but I would have love to seen the issue brought to students unlike a debate.. melrose doesn’t like that. To me the teachers used students and class time to get a pay day.. maybe the police will eventually get a new station.. doubt it.. that station is deplorable.. they don’t complain or lobby and they only risk their lives 260 days a year. Thank the lord for private schools and charter schools.. my kids will not be tarnished by melrose!

Citizen 1
Everyone interested in where the override revenue is going....Pay attention to the collective bargaining agreement for 2020..... The current agreement ends August 2019. Will the teachers get a raise? How much will all of the administrators get for a raise? Remember....1.9 million of the 5.18 million override is for teacher and administrator salaries. (because they were leaving in droves and woefully underpaid)
Bottom line towns are passing undersides because of exactly what just happened.. so who knows it’s not over. The mayor is already saying oh you won’t see change blah blah. What happens when we balance the books at the end of the year and the results are the same? Or worse? An underride will be filed to bring that money back to the tax payers go check out Hopkinton! The town needs and should be held accountable.. I plan on attending every school committe meeting. You just got your 5.18 million last time we gave that much they bought PODS that did nothing.. hold them all accountable whether you voted yes or no.

Nothing will change in the city after the override... Watch.

5th grade teacher
Nothing will change in the city after the override... Watch.
Nothing will change except for some city favorites getting raises. The chirpy ones will call them well deserved.

The one Melrose and its platform are feeling bold.