Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????

Liz 857-544-4923 and Christine 781-662-2347 let them know how Cindy is doing.

schools
With the schools ranking almost 70 in the state is not good. Release CT, let her GO!!!

Its worse than that. Boston Magazine just rated them around 62th out of 125 systems in the Metro Boston Area. Eliminate the poor towns and cities and lousy systems (of which there are many within the 495 belt) and then you will get a true reflection of just how bad the Melrose School District is performing compared to their true socio-economic counterparts.

Mcleans hospital is where the SC need their head examined if they give the super one more second in Melrose schools.

First, it's McLean Hospital (not plural), and second, the SC has already voted to extend CT's contract in secret. Sure, the SC needs its collective head examined, but the public that keeps these awful people in office and fails over and over again (including this cycle) to put forward credible candidates is the bigger culprit.

halt
First, it's McLean Hospital (not plural), and second, the SC has already voted to extend CT's contract in secret. Sure, the SC needs its collective head examined, but the public that keeps these awful people in office and fails over and over again (including this cycle) to put forward credible candidates is the bigger culprit.

Well said - and quite truthful! Too much indifference in the city over schools - basically because if you don't have kids in the system, which most don't - most people don't pay attention.

Hey, I assumed this is Melrose Messages not a English test. You are correct the residents with no children have no clue. And it is not a secret how many years more super has received from the SC and Mayor.[Thumbsdown]

Reality Check
halt

Well said - and quite truthful! Too much indifference in the city over schools - basically because if you don't have kids in the system, which most don't - most people don't pay attention.

If your household was paying 900 hundred dollars a month to better the education. I think you have a idea, and you can not do a thing about it. Slowly, it is trickling down and will hurt Melrose.

The secret is Cindy got over 1 and under 5 years to stay in Melrose.[Huhh]

Mcleans
Mcleans hospital is where the SC need their head examined if they give the super one more second in Melrose schools.

Do not write my post on another post.

Thinking before you speak or do something. It's about knowing that every day, the choices we make can and will affect our lives. It's about being accountable for our choices in life. We have the right to make our decisions every day, and every day is a new day.

City had to hire so many and put a percentage of residents in Melrose. CT has the most law suits of any superintendent in this city. Now,the SC gives her over 1 and under 5 more years. It is too be a secret.The cats out of the bag CT, got 3 more years.

They went through great lengths to sneak this one by the Melrose residents. Unfortunately, stupid executive decisions like this have political consequences.

There is an end to this road we're on if nothing changes.

The problems in Melrose begin and end with the principals and teaching staff.

When you cheat it's you who gets cheated.

You are only cheating yourself. Melrose teacher's clearly know they need improvement[Warning] Then again you only get what you pay for.

Patricia M. (Shea) Wright
9/23/2017

Patricia M. (Shea) Wright, age 54, of Melrose, formerly of Brighton passed away at home on Saturday, September 23, 2017.

Born in Verdun, France on October 26, 1962, she was a loving daughter of Paul V. and Anne Marie (Guillemin) Shea of Plymouth.

Patty grew up in Brighton and was a 1980 graduate of Mount St Joseph Academy in Brighton. She furthered her studies, graduating from the University of Massachusetts in Boston and the Massachusetts School of Law.

Patty was a practicing lawyer with the law firm of Korde & Associates, PC in Lowell. She also worked for the firm when it operated under the name of Middlesex Title Company.

A resident of Melrose for over twenty years, Patty was an active member of the community and an advocate for children’s education. She especially loved spending time with her family, and also enjoyed arts and crafts, reading, gardening, and will be always be remembered for her amazing cooking skills

In addition to her parents, she was the devoted mother of Rebecca H. Wright of Melrose and the late Edward O. Wright. She was the dear sister of Edward M. Shea and his wife Lisa of Mansfield, and Genevieve M. Shultz and her husband Jordan of Yardley, PA. She was the loving niece of Solange Klein of France, and is also survived by many nieces and nephews including Erin Shea, Hunter Shea and Arielle Shultz.

Relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend a service in celebration of her life on Saturday, September 30th at 5:00 P.M. at the Sherman & Jackson Funeral Home, 55 North Main St., Mansfield.

Visitation will be held prior to the services beginning at 3:00 P.M. at the funeral home. Burial will be private.

To send her family a message of condolence, please visit www.shermanjackson.com

Please don't post anything improper as her family might see it.

Patty was a good person who fought for the rights of children in our district pro bono. A strong advocate for anyone in need. An intellectual, attorney, friend, mother, sister, daughter. A person unafraid to speak out against those who placed themselves above the needs of our children.
Rest in peace Patty. You will be missed.

Attorney Wright fought hard for real justice in Melrose. Her courage and intelligence were complemented by her huge, loving heart. She was tough in her tenacity and ferocity, but her heart was always in the right place. Her passing is an enormous loss for our community. Rest in peace, Patricia. Sending deepest condolences to her family and friends.

The community continues to get soaked by an extortionist city government. via water/sewer and tax schemes, They are smart enough to see that some of these administrators are not too swift, but they buy into the jargon and don't look too closely. Most have never bothered to investigate beyond what they hear from their neighbors or friends at yoga.

Grateful Mom
Attorney Wright fought hard for real justice in Melrose. Her courage and intelligence were complemented by her huge, loving heart. She was tough in her tenacity and ferocity, but her heart was always in the right place. Her passing is an enormous loss for our community. Rest in peace, Patricia. Sending deepest condolences to her family and friends.
Mother and daughter relationships are complex because the daughter looks to her mother as a role model of what a woman is. As she grows up and sees other women who live their lives differently, she chooses between imitating her mother or other significant influences in her life. As an adolescent she may come to look down on her mother and think that other woman are much better. Of course she is not a fully grown woman so she does not understand the challenges and choices that her mother faces. It is only when she herself becomes a woman that she can fully appreciate her mother.

Take this into consideration. The bullies are the rich kids that kick out the poor ones in a group. Mostly girls are the bullies in the high school and in life.

Say good bye to Melrose Messages.[o:)]

Good Bye MM
Say good bye to Melrose Messages.[o:)]
NO WE WILL NOT SAY GOOD BYE TO MELROSE MESSAGES WILL LIVE ON JUST KEEP LOOKING.

Quote: Friend
Since the loss of you
I've learned to live for each day
And take it as a blessing
Knowing it may not always be this way.

Since the loss of you
I've learned that when everything goes wrong
To never give up on what is right
Because it can only make you strong.

Since the loss of you
I've learned that even when you're in a lot of pain
You've got to hold yourself together
So you won't feel like you're going insane.

Since the loss of you
I've learned how to hold the tears when I want to cry
Because all I have is memories
And just want to ask God why.

But mostly, since the loss of you
I've learned a life can be taken in the blink of an eye
And only Heaven really knows when
That person will have to say "Goodbye."

You're a very special person.
I'm glad that you're my friend,
For when I need a little advice,
You always have some to lend.

You help me when I am troubled,
Feeling down and out-
I never have to say what's wrong.
You seem to know what I'm all about.

I can always tell you my feelings
Without having you put me down.
You're the person I can turn to
When no one else is around.

I can cry on your shoulder
When things are going wrong.
You give me a smile
And help me to be strong.

You seem to understand me.
After all that we've gone through,
I only have one thing to say...
Thanks for being YOU!

Being friends is about sharing our lives with others. There are some aspects of our lives that require that we spend a lot of time together or a lot of writing to help convey our feelings. Other times sharing only a few words are more than adequate. It is not always the long conversation that conveys the deepest feelings. Sometimes, longer modes of expression may seem redundant and lacking in profundity.

No police at MHS this week! The officer that got hurt is that officer Applegate? Who should of made sure a police officer were on duty this week? Should it have been the school or police department?

No Police at MHS
No police at MHS this week! The officer that got hurt is that officer Applegate? Who should of made sure a police officer were on duty this week? Should it have been the school or police department?
IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Not in the best interest for the students and staff at MHS.

This is what happens when the public sits silent.

The poster above is correct.

Melrose Resident
This is what happens when the public sits silent.
Ouch!! Just saw the Melrose MCAS results. It's bad for all the children not learning in school.

After so many years of Melrose school 'improvement,' today's students are doing worse than any were before. They gave the teachers millions more dollars a year. The superintendent gives herself and her pet admins three million dollars a year. It's all been nothing but a show and a waste of taxpayer money. All the money spent on modular classrooms and learning commons and science labs and three new schools and Horace Mann renovations was all just expensive lipstick on the proverbial pig.

How nice the SC that voted to keep Taymore 3 more years are leaving and not running for office. Thanks a lot you fools.

I voted for her Liz D. and thought she was going to speak out and did nothing. She will be remembered as a coward and voted CT to stay 3 more years.

Resident
This all started with the the election of arrogant and incompetent school committee members headed by self-serving chairpersons. They dish our enough favors to remain in office for years - developing a school network to ensure re-election for years to come .
If the SC voted this preposterous superintendent another three years not a thing is changing.[:))]

The PR Machine is still managing to keep hold of these well-meaning but naive parents, feeding them just enough to let them think they are having an effect and that they can feel proud being part of a "positive" process. They don't realize how they have been co-opted and are being used. They don't realize that they are only being given just enough information to make them Believe.

So what are we supposed to read between the lines? Melrose:

What world do you live in? Millions more for teachers? HAHAHAHAHA. All the students who are not learning because they cannot pass a test? You clearly know zero about education, learning, or economics. It is almost like you have not been in a classroom in 50 years or have any desire to learn about the purpose of modern education. Science labs will help your students function in a society that is slowly realizing a fake being in the sky does not control the environment, facts, or anything really. Keep complaining about updating schools. Lets see how much you learn when the ceilings leak, no ventilation in rooms, or no access to educational resources.

HAHAHAHA
What world do you live in? Millions more for teachers? HAHAHAHAHA. All the students who are not learning because they cannot pass a test? You clearly know zero about education, learning, or economics. It is almost like you have not been in a classroom in 50 years or have any desire to learn about the purpose of modern education. Science labs will help your students function in a society that is slowly realizing a fake being in the sky does not control the environment, facts, or anything really. Keep complaining about updating schools. Lets see how much you learn when the ceilings leak, no ventilation in rooms, or no access to educational resources.
Melrose MCAS results. It's bad for all the children not learning in school.

You have every right to be concerned.What's going on in Melrose.

So fake, the only thing Melrose has is downtown.

The Melrose Weekly would not run the following as an oped or letter -- or even as a PAID political ad. Very troubling to have such denial of access to the public. I ask all readers herein to consider the following for November 7. And refer such to family and friends. Thanks.

To Melrose taxpayers and voters…

The November 7 local election is another opportunity for the silent majority of Melrose taxpayers to speak their minds about the unfair financial burdens put on their shoulders by a majority of long-standing elected officials.

On November 7, two good votes from the silent majority -- and well beyond – are, first, Nancy Lewis in the Ward 6 alderman race. Second, any combination up to four choices, while omitting Kate Lipper-Garabedian in the alderman-at-large race.

Testament to those choices and that silent majority being heard loud and clear are the past two override votes resoundingly defeated by a wide 2-1 margin, while an overwhelming majority of the aldermen and Mayor Dolan stood in unified support. All the while, we now have over 1,335 former and current city and school employees with full-time health insurance at over $18,000.00 in direct taxpayer cost of over 11 million dollars; some recipients are former and current aldermen. Not to mention all city-side employees are now eligible for a life pension after just 10 years service, thanks to an April 2, 2012, aldermanic vote put forth by Dolan. Many receive part-time wages for full-time benefits.

All while more non-related wages and benefits are quietly put in the Water and Sewer Enterprise Fund by Dolan, now over 14 million dollars, resulting in taxpayer water bills 50 percent higher than the state average. Yes, taxpayers are paying for wages and benefits unrelated to water and sewer use.

No coincidence after that 2012 vote for life pensions, there was an internal review committee established for Dolan’s $99,896.00 salary. On February 4, 2013, the aldermen increased it by 25 percent to $125,000.00, beginning January 1, 2014.

That likely spurred another outcry by that silent majority when the unopposed Dolan received some 5,000 blank votes in the last local election two years ago.

Also no coincidence is the fact that Alderman Mortimer from Ward 6, figured out how to “retire” as an alderman in order to begin collecting his life pension for two meetings a month. Then he got himself reappointed by the Board of Aldermen as Ward 6 alderman, then ran twice for reelection unopposed. Mortimer gets the aldermanic salary and expense account and full-time health benefits as well as the life pension for an annual income of some $25,000.00. Last count, the consummate double-dipping Mortimer has been in office over 25 years and taken well over a half million taxpayer dollars for his two meetings a month.

On November 7, only three ward alderman races have opposition. The most important is Ward 6 where newcomer Nancy Lewis is running against Mortimer.

Throughout all these costly shenanigans, only Aldermen-at-Large Monica Medeiros and Donald Conn have attempted to stem the red-ink tide that is overwhelming the city budget. Neither takes the health benefit. And, yes, that silent majority has consistently put them first and second in recent elections.

On the November 7 ballot, there is another newcomer – well not exactly -- to city politics in Lipper-Garabedian. There are six candidates for four seats in this race, including Medeiros and Conn. Lipper-Garabedian, with behind-the-scenes support, was immediately appointed by Dolan to various city and school “leadership” positions after moving to Melrose less than two years ago. Lipper-Garabedian has a well-oiled and organized election committee. According to online and required election oversight agencies, Lipper-Garabedian’s local committee has directly contributed to high-profile state political-action committees. Why? And where does that money come from?

Lipper-Garabedian’s connections to Dolan and state political committees give her biased access to Melrose election data for social media manipulation as well as subtle control over any information she sends to the uninformed or worse, misinformed voter. Not to mention becoming another rubber stamp on the Board of Alderman while collecting full-time benefits and a future life pension after 10 years for two meetings a month -- while climbing the political ladder.

On November 7, all three incumbents are stepping down from their school committee seats, meaning half the school committee will be new faces. What does that say about our school system’s management and the committee’s lack of contribution to our kids, parents and taxpayers --with Dolan a sitting member?

Dolan is not up for reelection, given the city charter change to a four-year mayoral term.

Something and some things have to change in Melrose.

Bob Snow is Co-host of MMTV’s Matters of Interest.

Should get interesting.On November 7, only three ward alderman races have opposition. The most important is Ward 6 where newcomer Nancy Lewis is running against Mortimer.

The charter must be changed if Melrose citizens hope to recapture whatever is left of a democratically managed city, which it most certainly is not currently. There are no existing checks and balances.

There are no existing checks and balances for are school;s.Just look at the things that should not have came to light

Lesson to be learned: Change the school superintendent . short of this nothing changes. May be the charge is the Mayor?Every year the superintendent says schools are doing wonderful things. When poor results become obvious, she says it's all under control, or she needs more money. Measures like AP scores, SAT scores and MCAS scores regularly tell a different story. Money won't make the schools better with the same smug attitude from the one in charge.Then Gerry Mroz will demonstrate, as he does each year, why their data is flawed!

A small but significant example of the contemptuous conduct of the local Dems, especially when it comes to state and federal laws:

"Melrosee Dems Rack Up Campaign Finance Violations"
Letters from the Office of Campaign Finance reveal illegal fundraising of Melrose Democratic City Committee on eve of local election.
By Alice Shattuck (Patch Poster) - Updated Nov 6, 2017 12:20 pm ET

The following information was provided to both of the local Melrose newspapers in time for the election-related deadline for the weekly paper two weeks ago. Both papers chose not to print or further report on this information before the local election on November 7th.

(Melrose) – The Melrose Democrats have been keeping busy under their new leadership team, made up of Samantha Hammar, Manisha Gadia Bewtra, Peter Navarra and Peter Mortimer. Unfortunately, in addition to ordinary local activism, they have also been busy racking up campaign finance law violations. Letters from the Massachusetts Office of Campaign and Political Finance addressed to Treasurer Peter Mortimer over the last 12 months reveal at least three infractions, one of which was serious enough to incur a $300 penalty for illegal fundraising activity.

This troubling pattern of disregard for legal campaign finance requirements raises serious questions about the officers of the committee, three of whom are running for local office in the November 7th municipal election. Treasurer Mortimer is running for re-election to the Ward 6 seat on the Melrose Board of Aldermen, where he serves as Chairman of the city's Appropriations Committee. Co-Vice Chairmen Manisha Gadia Bewtra and Peter Navarra are running for Alderman-at-Large and School Committee respectively.

"The fact that these infractions are occurring so frequently is definitely a concern," stated Alice Shattuck, Vice Chairman of the Melrose Republican City Committee. "These laws are written to ensure transparency and fairness in our elections process, and for a group that is so active in local politics to be repeatedly violating them shows a lack of respect for the public trust."

The first letter, dated December 8, 2016, states that Mortimer failed to file an accurate 2015 year-end report for the committee, reporting over $1,500 in reimbursements directly to members of the committee without disclosing the purpose for the political spending. In addition, the letter states, Mortimer omitted an in-kind donation to the committee from his reporting. Further review indicates this was a donation made by Congresswoman Katherine Clark that remained unknown to the public until the OCPF required Mortimer to re-file a corrected report last year.

The second letter, dated June 21, 2017, details how the Melrose Democratic City Committee posted fundraising solicitations for their political activities inside of Melrose public buildings, a violation of Massachusetts law, which prohibits public resources from being used in political fundraising. This activity, which the letter states "clearly did not comply with the campaign finance law," resulted in the committee paying a penalty of $300 to the Commonwealth.

With the Committee currently using their funds to plaster the city with fliers for their chosen candidates in the local election tomorrow, voters deserve to know the fundraising habits of the Democratic City Committee. The candidates aided by these activities include those mentioned above as well as Kate Lipper-Garabedian, Michael Zwirko, Frank Wright, Robert Boisselle, Jennifer McAndrew, John Obremski and Jennifer Razi-Thomas."

https://patch.com/massachusetts/melrose/melrose-dems-rack-campaign-finance-violations

The City of Melrose has a long way to go with all the legal fees first. The SC is more to blame than the superintendent. Our School Committee is Cyndi's boss and has the power to let her go at anytime.

Remembering
The City of Melrose has a long way to go with all the legal fees first. The SC is more to blame than the superintendent. Our School Committee is Cyndi's boss and has the power to let her go at anytime.
All Spin and Lies

9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18