Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Staff Leaving the High School?????

"To become a teacher if you didn't major in education, in most states you will need to complete an alternative teacher preparation program. These programs typically must be approved by the state's board of education and lead to a post graduate certificate or a master's degree plus licensure" Superintendent Taymore firmly stood by this protocol.

This all started with the the election of arrogant and incompetent school committee members headed by self-serving chairpersons. They dish our enough favors to remain in office for years - developing a school network to ensure re-election for years to come - while parents are too busy trying to scrape by paying little attention to the education of their children. The schools imploding is the only event that will change this formula - which appears on the horizon!

It really started to sink to the lowest depth in July 2012 with the arrival of Taymore and her crew though they still kept the unbelievable inept PWL in SPED. It was doing poorly under Casey in 2007 and those he brought with him. It really started to sink to the lowest depth in July 2012 with the arrival of Taymore and her crew though they still kept the unbelievable inept PWL in SPED.

Melrose takes awhile to wake up and hopefully not to long this time.

Transparency
Melrose takes awhile to wake up and hopefully not to long this time.
Mayor Infurna last night announced that she will eliminate health benefits for the aldermen in next year’s budget.

The school committee did make a mistake.It is time to Call for the resignation of Cyndy Taymore.

Shame on CT & SC
Mom
It is time to Call for the resignation of Cyndy Taymore?

Folks - stop this ridiculous discussion! She is an arrogant, egotistical bureaucrat who will leave when she finishes her current term so that she can maximize her retirement benefits - and the school committee will not let her go and admit they made a mistake.

But for some reason, no one has the stones to upset the apple cart.

Jealousy is not a pretty color, people. #Be Best!

Jealousy is not a color. Ditto for the other times you posted the same!

Constant chaios
There are so many employees jumping ship midyear at the high school the system can\'t keep up. Within the last month four employees quit from the same special needs class and the reasons have nothing to do with the students, though this type of wreakless abandon negatively impacts students who are used to and depend on routine. Don\'t get me wrong, it\'s with good reason and self preservation people went elsewhere. Perhaps the administers of the school should look into the reasons every single Paraprofessional couldn\'t even hang on until years end, because trust me,there are legitimate severe concerns that should have been addressed a few years ago.
Are we supposed to trust that these officials are competent and trustworthy?

Clean the swamp and Melrose will change.

Why not the first year when she showed signs then with Kathy and Rita. Now children with needs had to go through some ups and downs for no reason.

In case you missed the oped in this week's Free Press:
In the coming weeks, interim Mayor Gail Infurna and the Board of Aldermen will complete a required cycle toward a fiscal year 2019 operating budget for the city and schools to begin on July 1. The total budget will come in at about 80 million; about 30 million will go to the public schools.

If the many cycles of such are any indication, the powers that now are will complain again about lack of funding and then pass yet another budget with no significant changes or restructurings. All while rumblings of yet another override attempt percolate behind the scenes. The last two would have added millions more; both were resoundingly defeated by a 2-1 margin. A third override attempt will follow the same defeat. Eighty million is plenty to run the city ands schools, especially with the annual budget increases coming from unregulated water and sewer increases and no major management or restructuring initiatives for long-range planning.

During Rob Dolan’s reign, I offered gratis to assist him in major undertakings that any well-run municipality implements. He balked at all. Today, there are about 350 city-side retirees (public teachers and administrators are under a totally separate and independent retirement system). They fall into two groups: Group IV is all police and fire employees; Group I is all other city workers without delineated categories of service. Group IV is about 25 percent of the 350 total; Group I the other 75 percent. All city employees are eligible for a life pension and life health insurance after just 10 years service. These include all mayors and aldermen. The 350 current retiree’s names and their pension amount is public information. Most are former part-time employees collecting a life pension and health benefits.

After 16 years of the Dolan administration, the number of projected retirees is now about 450 according to the city’s Retirement Board. Their names, current salaries and Group membership toward life benefits are not public information.

For the city to financially survive, it is mandatory that Infurna and the aldermen, especially wannabe mayor and attorney John Tramontozzi (who takes the18K health package) begin the process of reducing city employees who are currently paid part-time wages for current and future full-time benefits.

In the school department, the last two Melrose FY budgets had some 35 percent dedicated to special education—about 10 million. The national average is about 12 percent; the state average about 18 percent. Such an expenditure screams for a coordinated and accountable curriculum in Grades K-3. The majority of SPED services in all school systems begin in Grades K-3; the majority of such referrals are for reading and language related reasons. Add that Melrose skirts state and federal mandates for regular-education intervention strategies before SPED kicks in with parent awareness and it all add up to major and wasted education dollars.

The third and final major initiative needed is an “Early Retirement Incentive” in the school system. Simply put, the ERI pays teachers that are retirement eligible a bonus to retire with one year’s irrevocable notice. The payout is usually for three years after retirement, and a win-win for the teacher and the taxpayer by hiring a first-year teacher to replace the top-scale retiree as well as saving current “longevity” stipends received annually by teachers with 10 or more years in the system. Those bonus amounts are, for example: 10K in Year 1 of retirement; 7,500 in Year 2 and 5K in Year 3. The majority of all Melrose teaching staff, numbering about 275 of 350 school-side staff according to the school website, is currently eligible for ERI. While most Melrose teachers are dedicated professionals, too many are biding time and need an earlier path to retirement.

An organized curriculum in PK-3, 4-5, 6-8 and 9-12, all approved by the school committee as policy and managed by each principal, makes teachers accountable to measurable outcomes aligned with special education protocol and state and federal assessments, not to mention their annual performance evaluation. This organization and accountability would push many retirement considerations. Look no further than the lack of such organization and accountability as the major reason why so many Melrose parents opt for charter or private or parochial settings.

Here we are in early April. If we restructure just 5 percent of the FY19 budget –- a very very respectable amount – that’s 4 million dollars to lower water and sewer bills or to increase teacher salaries or to bond a new police station -- or all three.

Restructuring city-side employees to full-time, adopting coherent and measurable “Areas of Essential Learning” in reading, writing and math in Grades K-3 aligned with special education, and adopting an Early Retirement Incentive in the schools are all doable by September 1. Yes, in just four months.

Once again, I’m available gratis to assist. A one-hour public meeting for each of these three initiatives with Mayor Infurna, the president of the Board of Aldermen, Superintendent Taymore and the school committee chairperson is an easy start to explain eventual major financial and educational gains for our kids, parents and taxpayers.

(Bob Snow is co-host of MMTV’s “Matters of Interest.” He is also the former assistant superintendent of Somerville schools and a former three-term member of the Melrose School Committee.)

I am not a lifetime Melrosian (?) I moved here for the location, not the schools (I don't need the schools, fortunately for me, I guess). I love MM as a guilty pleasure, and usually don't post or reply, but I have to ask: Who is this Bob Snow guy, and why doesn't he run for mayor? He makes more sense than anyone on the SC or BOA, as far as i can tell.

He doesn't live in Melrose anymore. That said, while he can be a trigger-happy crank, there are more nuggets worth chewing on in his stuff than I used to give him credit for, so I don't care that he doesn't live in Melrose any more. There should be journalists raising issues, instead of being lap dogs. The standard operating procedure of city hall folks is to only put forward information that advances their causes, be as silent as possible about anything that doesn't, and cover for each other. That's hardly unique to Melrose, but the Put On And Maintain A Happy Face And They Will Go Away routine gets more tiring the longer one has lived her. Newbies to Melrose: never accept what city hall says at face value, unless you are pleased to be credulous suckers (I used to be one of you/them).

You answered the “why”, because he does make more sense, and for some reason people don’t like that!

Bruce
You answered the “why”, because he does make more sense, and for some reason people don’t like that!
wrote one too many accurate articles about the myriad MPS scandals.

Thank you for the post. I believe that our careers sees waves of engagement, greatness, and trust in the system. I try to remember that sometimes people are at the bottom of the wave. I feel it is my job to get them back to the top. Staff wellbeing is too important to be left to chance. Can our new year's resolution be to work on it together?

No matter how vigorously the local realtors lie/aka "represent" the state of the city and schools, there is no covering up of the stench this SC and administration have created. It's a mess, and changing the charter is a necessary first step in fixing it.

The City of Melrose has a long way to go with all the legal fees first. The SC is more to blame than the superintendent. Our School Committee is Cyndi's boss and has the power to let her go at anytime. What has to happen for someone to read into this major problem in Melrose.

Ms. Taymore should be leaving.Not the teacher;s.Not good for are children and families.

This superintendent needs to go. What is wrong with the SC not to let her go?

Taymore never should have been given a new contract.

Clean the swamp and Melrose will change. Yes we can.

Melrose Public schools civil rights" and read the numerous reports and newspapers telling the ugly truth.

The office of Civil Rights at DOE can give you the details, or you can just google.

The one that none of them can hide a major scandal.So may be it is time for the Call for the resignation of Cyndy Taymore.

Ms. Taymore should be leaving.Not the teacher.You have every right to be concerned.It's a constantly revolving door of staff up there, it's impossible to keep track of who anyone is any more.

This superintendent needs to go.It is time fire her.

I still smile whenever i think of that override getting flushed down the toilet by the realistic people in our city.

Superintendent Taymore Friends and Family hires have failed the Melrose school system. Money and reputation has a lot to do with what is coming this way.

The poster above is correct.

Happy Independence Day.

"Read in the local newspaper that there will be group discussions on a (Spring 2019) school Override coming soon

That”s what every superintendent does. They hire people who they know and who they are comfortable with.

Most of the time people turn a blind eye to nepotism- especially if it doesn't affect them directly. Some have the attitude that: "Well you would give your wife a job if you were the principal."

I could understand the reasons behind employing a friend if it was the best person for the role, but I have often seen incompetent people replace capable, established staff simply because they are a friend or family member.

How many brilliant teachers have lost out due to nepotism? How many students have missed out on great teachers? I fear academies will make this problem worse, as principals have more freedomm

I want to work in a place where I know everyone got where they are based on merit. If this happens then surely that will only benefit the students and, after all, that's what a school is there for. It is not a place where you ensure your friends can pay their mortgages. Look at the results this year with a friend.

So Mountain Fugi kindly do your research.

Not saying I agree, but look at how superintendant’s hire. They hire people they know and feel comfortable with. MA worked with CT in Malden and so on. They will sometimes get rid of the people that came were hired by previous administrations. Trust me many districts work this way.

Starting with the entire school committee NEED TO BE VOTED OUT. They have failed over and over again.

The purpose of "The Community Conversations" is for Illegitimate Mayor Gail to pretend to ask for input for the MPS Override scheduled for Spring 2019. It has already been decided to hold a 2 1/2 Override for the schools. It will cost 30K to hold an election 6 months before the November 2019 mandated one. Why? Why not wait until the fall of 2019? Why hold it next Spring for the schools only? Why hold any vote on tax increases before a real Mayor is elected? Why aren't the Fire and Police Stations being included? So, the Community Converstions is ONLY about an OVERRIDE for the MPS.....so, the words/subject of "Community Conversations" can be interchanged for the word OVERRIDE....same thing....so, the strings discussing either the Override or the farsical Community Conversations are one in the same. All political candidates for Mayor, BOA and SC need to run on issues and tax positions.

The "community conversations" are simply a way for the Mayor pick the brains of naive Melrose residents so that she knows exactly how to sell the fake override.

Fake Mayor how about taking the money from the water bill accounts like all of the other departments do. Prove that this override is necessary, do not insult taxpayers with the usual spin.

The MPS have been so mismanaged and the environment so toxic that anyone with another job possibility will go ASAP. Salary is of course part of why they leave but Taymore and the School Committee's arrogance and dysfunction is equally responsible. Ask the Teacher's Union how they feel about Adams, the SpEd Director, and Taymore. DeSelm insulted the teachers and was forced to apologize.

Infurna now wants to spend our dollars on an Override next Spring for the schools. Talk about an irresponsible use of tax money. Questions regarding tax increases should be held during the 2019 Mayoral election. We should not hold a special election before November 2019. Override ballot initiatives should include infrastructure, public safety buildings, the schools and other needs all at the same time.

Lowest paid teachers in Middlesex county might have Something to do with that.

That's undeniably true. But I think the toxic environment has at least as much to do with it. If I was happy in my workplace I might be more reluctant to leave for a bit more money. Right now there's a double whammy and jumping ship is a no-brainer.

I agree with True the workplace SUCKS!

No Accountability

Wasted Funds

Political Agenda

One Size Doesn't Fit All

NCLB (No Child Left Behind Act)

Good work relationships are built on trust, and if there's no trust where you work, the only person you can depend on is yourself. Document Everything. Seriously, Everything.

The MPS, institution, or organization with a high turnover of personnel or members is so unhealthy for the system. It is like a turnstiles every 2 weeks someone is leaving. The system is not hiring healthy people with healthy habits.

Melrose according to stats is right there with its competition in salaries. The union negotiates increases for cost of living and they also get steps and lanes. No one gets that. They need to appreciate what they have. if money motivated you to be a teacher then leave. All the money in the world will not buy me or my family. I want a teacher who loves their job and does not care about anything other than teaching our children. Only in this town have I run into a situation where the teachers only care about money or I sit just the politicians in town making it seem that way?

This town has computers and 3D printers and so many other things that almost bro kids have yet parents cry about it? Have some respect for what you have.. Because guess what..truth may hurt but kids who go to schools that have a third of Melrose public schools are succeeding and going to college despite anything standing in their way because they understand success. Money does not guarantee success. Money does not man your kid will be better. It means nothing. Will power is the factor and that is something you cannot buy.

Much of the talk in Melrose of late has centered on the upcoming tax override vote, with each side of the debate making their presence known and stating their respective cases to all who will listen.

9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18