Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Schools & School Committee
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Racist assault on student, elementary principal shrugs and tells parent to destroy evidence

From Facebook: KM Gibbs

One of Kai’s brand new singles that she just got done Saturday and went to school feeling golden about today had a portion of it cut by one of her classmates while she was facing the other way doing schoolwork. When she got up, she saw it on the floor and alerted her teacher. Her teacher insinuated that it was a result of her “playing with her hair” or maybe “sitting on it” and made some commentary about having her own hair fall out after freshly getting it done. It’s a **** knotless braid! That now has a very very blunt & abrupt cut!! She then went to the principal who said he didn’t know what to do since she didn’t know who did it???? & instructed her to THROW THE PIECE OF BRAID AWAY & head back to class. EXCUSE ME. I’m done playing with Melrose Public Schools! This is on top of numerous situations of my daughter being called monkey, ape, etc. I need this on the news at this point….. Livid is an understatement!!!!!!!!

Re: Racist assault on student, elementary principal shrugs and tells parent to destroy evidence

I am SO sorry that you, your daughter, or anyone has had to go through what you have described, and also sorry to say that I don’t doubt you for a second! I’m sure you won’t “let it rest”, and I hope, for all our sakes, that there is some sort of resolution (including, of course, an apology) that somehow leads to a change!