Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Dog Lovers

Yes, I got him from a private breeder. The puppy mills that supply the other places are a disgrace.

My understanding is that you can get any of the three colors from any litter. It just depends on what gene pops up in each pup. The English type has somewhat shorter legs and thicker bodies, while the American type is a little lankier and thinner. There is a silver-ish variant that has been seen recently, but that probably came about as an unintentional cross with another breed. They have a gene that's not present in brown, black or yellow.

I've had all three, but my favorite is the chocolate, although it may just be because of his individual personality. He is the most eager to please dog I've ever had.

I also like golden retrievers and irish setters too, but I'll probably get another chocolate. As I said he's 14 and I see signs that he's starting to struggle a little. One other thing - his feet have always been very sensitive to road salt. I don't know if that's just him, or is common for the breed.

I didn't want to sound like an "elitist" (regarding breeders) but Fossil is absolutely correct. I had a friend who worked at the pet store that used to abut Stop N Shop (another whole story, you don't want to know about a pet store sharing a common wall with a food store, lol) and he once told me NEVER to buy a dog from a pet store.

Thanks for clarifying that Geezer. That was very helpful. Now to both of you, pardon me if I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong but this might be an idea to consider.

With your dog getting on in years, have you considered getting a puppy now, before the inevitable happens? My Grandparents always did that and they found it accomplished two things.

#1 The older dog really responded to his new "little brother". It increased his level of activity by trying to keep up with the little one and sometimes, if older one was too tired he would just let the little one climb all over him and snuggle like puppies do.

#2 When the inevitable does happen, it will be sad. It always is. But there will be two of you going though the sadness, you and "Little Brother". And I have seen a few people decide not to get another companion because losing the first one was very hard. They spent the rest of their lives alone. And that is sad.

Just something to think about.

Obviously good advice OG, and I appreciate it. I think it's a great idea, that would work very well for most people/pups. If I told you, however, why I don't think it's something that I could do, you'd KNOW I'm as wacky as you probably already think I am. [:-)]

Nah... I understand completely Geezer.

I have a story about a 13 year old talking Parakeet that I won't go into right now.

Oh, Heck... Let's just say he was one cool dude, loved a sip of beer from time to time, had a great vocabulary and loved watching football.

And could never be "Replaced".

Yikes..............I must have 'wandered off' for a bit, but fortunately I found my way back safe and sound.
Darn senior moments!

Oh, thank goodness. Now, just remember Geezer.

Whenever you go over to the Dark Side, if they offer you a drink make sure it's carbonated. This is very important information! Kool-Ade never has bubbles.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to remember that should it ever happen again.
I will say that the people 'there' do seem pretty nice, but it was hard to tell for sure because they also appeared to be very angry.
Oh well, it was a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Geezer
I didn't want to sound like an "elitist" (regarding breeders) but Fossil is absolutely correct. I had a friend who worked at the pet store that used to abut Stop N Shop (another whole story, you don't want to know about a pet store sharing a common wall with a food store, lol) and he once told me NEVER to buy a dog from a pet store.

Not always true. My girlfriend had a Bichon Frise' for 19 years. She had gotten it from a pet shop in Boston, and the AKC papers were from a breeder in Missouri. When she finally had to put the dog down, she immediately started looking for a Bichon puppy, as dogs that go for $1,300 aren't readily available at the local shelter. She shopped around for about a month, as she's very particular about what she wants: no eye staining, no apricot markings, etc. She finally found a likely puppy at a pet shop in Peabody, and asked to see the papers before writing the check. Deus ex machina, the puppy was from the same breeder in Missouri.

Pet shops are like politicians; most suck, which makes the good ones look even better. You just have to find them.

OG, I may do exactly that. I had some reservations at first, because it's likely a new pup will outlive me, but one of my kids agreed to "adopt" him if/when that happens.

Good for you Fossil. Speaking for myself, I have no intention of "moving on" while living as a lonely old guy in an empty house so I'll be using the same method including the "Adoption by Relative" part. Good idea, thanks for that tip.

I haven't trained a dog since I was 12 or 13 and THAT is the part I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm down to the following choices.

========================================
Beagle

Pro's = Lap Dog, had one before, loves to communicate

Cons = Hates to swim, loves to communicate (in a hounds familiar howl), must be careful of taking off the leash or he'll catch a scent and be gone in a second.

=========================================
Lab (Chocolate, then Yellow, then Black) but color's not that important to me

Pro's - Loves to swim, most favored US dog, easily exercised (just throw something and watch him run). He chases the ball, not me, Number one job in life is to please.

Cons - Not a lap dog? Or is he?

==========================================

Actually, they're the world's biggest lap dog! They're incredibly affectionate and will sit with their head in your lap for hours. Mine loves having his back over his hips squeezed, like a massage.

Gotta agree with the Lab choice. Mine turned 12 yesterday and she's a love. Of course you can't leave her alone in the kitchen with ANY sort of food within reach, but you might say the same for everyone else in the family.

Gee Willikers!

Am I the only old person left in Melrose who does NOT have a Lab? This happens to me all the time. Remember when Bell Bottoms made the scene? Yup, missed it completely.

Oh, one last question... have any of you Lab owners seen the video of the Lab that retrieves a beer from inside the Fridge (a bottle no less) and carries it to his owner who's sitting in the living room watching football?

Now that's some serious training! And the Command? "Beer Me".

If you can teach them to talk;

http://blog.theanimalrescuesite.com/these-dogs-really-know-how-to-speak/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=arsfan&utm_campaign=these-dogs-really-know-how-to-speak&utm_term=20140310

then you certainly ought to be able to teach them to get a beer!

Now that was cool... by the way, are we supposed to say "cool" anymore?... is that In or is it Out? And before you try it Geezer, I know that "Groovie" is no longer "cool".

OK, so let's get back to the video, how about the focus on all of the dogs faces? Man, you could tell they were really, really trying to say human words, that got them thank-you hugs (or maybe just a cookie). That was a really groovie video!

And as a special treat, here's "Beer Me" the Yellow Lab, fully in charge of the refrigerator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W02C75-adA

"Far out". I will admit I was getting nervous that she wasn't going to close the fridge!

Well, of course Geezer. Ya leave the door open, there's no tellin' what might stick it's head into your food.

And it did look like she really enjoyed doing the Close the Door part. Sounded like a running leap with a thud!

Re: Oddities

It was called Jerry Jingles, not Howard Johnsons

Sorry - before it was Jerry Jingle it was a Howard Johnson.

Glad to see you're around and kickin` Fossil (and you are of course correct about HJ!).
Stay safe and well!

HoJo's. Taking a ride on the wayback machine, Bullwinkle. Boris and Natasha say hi.

Did the same in Woburn

Ahhh, Walkers! So many awesome flavors! We used to ride bikes from Woburn to check flavor of the week. My dad used to go get water from the spring weekly. Wasn’t Jerry Jingles near there? Also wasn’t there a road off the Fellsway, maybe in Ssugus, that all the houses participated in best Xmas lighting displays? We used to take my 1969 Ford Torino Cobra there late at night. After smoking a couple of joints, we went down the road really fast, enjoying the light show. Thought it reminded us of toward the end of 2001 Space Odyssey. Only could do it 2-3 times before the people woke up and call cops. Time to boogie outta there!

Mr Bacon, and lessons in a Studebaker

Hey!!!!!! Glad to see you're still "fossilizing" out there. Been a while!

Melrose's 'online communications' have lately become so politicized that it's difficult to have even a civil back and forth discussion, to the point that it's simply not worth it. A shame, but hopefully, eventually, both "sides" will calm down.

Nice to "see you" here again, and hoping you and your family have a great holiday season.

1 2 3 4