Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Traipsing Around Melrose

Today I thought I would take on Flagg Acres. I like to read about the history of places I wonder around and found very little about how Flagg acres came to be. I know that it was donated in 1977 to the city but other than that there’s not much information that I could get on Google or Wikipedia.

The city has a map of the trails online so I’m going to give it a whorl. Would any one of you ladies or gentlemen care share some history? I’ll check in later when I get back!

(I decided to use a capital "P" as a disguise"

Re: Traipsing Around Melrose

Holy canoli, I've never heard of it. Where is it??

And did you ever get to the "Crocker home" at Whip Hill?

(heck of a disguise, makes you look taller!)

I have since googled Flagg Acres, and read a little about it, so at least I know where you mean now, and may have to check it out myself! I have to admit though, that being a "Highlands boy", the Towner's Pond area was sort of a 'mystery area' to me, and if my Mother hadn't started going there when I was older, for "Duck Day", I still might not know where it is :).

Geezer
I have since googled Flagg Acres, and read a little about it, so at least I know where you mean now, and may have to check it out myself! I have to admit though, that being a "Highlands boy", the Towner's Pond area was sort of a 'mystery area' to me, and if my Mother hadn't started going there when I was older, for "Duck Day", I still might not know where it is :).

I have to ditto Geezer's remarks.
Knew it was there.
Didn't know why it was called Flag Acres.
I remember (but never got to go) to Duck Day.
And... I considered it a remote and distant place (from the perspective of a Highlandian boy).

Might have ta do some more digging' though. This has caught me interest

Geezer Whip Hill was great. I finally made it there on Monday afternoon. It was soooo hot I was dripping in sweat and the Deep Woods Off failed about a half hour into the hike! I wish I could have toured the Crocker House. It was gorgeous! The azaleas are the biggest I’ve ever seen! They must be something to see in the spring!

Well I guess you Highlander boys don’t get down to my neck of the woods much. Flagg Acres is off of Swains Pond Road on the Malden side of town. I did a little research and found out that the City took the land by eminent domain in the 70’s from a widow’s estate. I’m going to bring my buddy John Cinella a home made apple pie and found out how that went down!

Well off to work! I’ll be busy tonight on the Alderman string. That string hasn’t had any moment for a while and I feel like getting a good beatin!