Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Little help?

My dog was just digging (scratching) on the rug, and I just sort of came out with "Be careful, or you're going to dig to China." Does that ring a bell with anyone other than me? (or have I already asked this, and am proving that I'm losing it?)

Wow, does it ever!

My best friend Carl and I tried to get there through his back yard with a shovel. I think we were about 3rd grade at the time and Carl moved away to the East Side shortly after that.

We would dig for a while, scoop the dirt, and then listen for Chinese words that would indicate we were getting close. Unfortunately, we ran into some rocks and had to quit just as we were getting close. Our hole had to be almost 3 feet deep and about the same in diameter.

My dog scratches the rug too. I always wondered why she does that.

Is this different than the around and around thing they do before lying down?

The circling is supposedly a throwback to their "wild" days that hasn't been 'bred out' yet. It was a means of matting down the grass where they were going to sleep and/or also scare away any bugs or snakes that might be in that spot.
The scratching/digging can similarly be a part of that, but apparently also has other possible motivations.
BTW, it isn't that I simply know this stuff, I read articles in "Dog Fancy' magazine.

I see. Well, that's good to know. And, um, does 'Dog Fantasy' have a center-fold pull out?

And you thought you were joking, lol.......it does indeed often have a "fold out picture" of the featured dog of the month![:))]

I just have one more question. Does she or does she not, have her own chair in the living room?

Of course not, whaddaya think, I'm nuts?
Couch, yes, but not a chair!

Old Guy...how are you doing with your Shingles? I hope you're feeling better. My next door neighbor is a nurse and I asked her about shingles relief and she told me that there is cream that helps with the pain. She forgot what the name of it is but will find out. I'll let you know tonight when I get home from work. [:)]

Thanks Patty,

Luckily, my battle with Shingles is over and I think I can say, without a doubt Shingles is something I would not recommend.

Early on, I thought I had escaped with a mild case of it, then WHAMO the pain just knocked me on my butt. I've heard about the cream and it seems (like everything else) that it helps some people and not others. There's also a vaccine and I'm told it works on about 50% of those who take it, but it could also activate the disease in some people... oh, ya, and it costs between $400 to $500. Probably because the disease only impacts old people
and who cares about them, right?

I think most people relate to colds and flu's and think of them lasting 7-10 days. My little tussle started around Veterans Day in November and lasted until the second week in January, about two months.

The good news? All you folks have a 66% chance of NOT getting it when you reach your 60's. But remember, that's what you say if you're an optimist.

p.s. Wasn't WHAMO the company that invented the frisbee?

and the hula hoop, I believe.

Glad to learn your ordeal/bout with shingles is over.

Things the Suck

They don't sell Band Aids in the little Tin can anymore. I tried three drug stores and.... nothing. I liked those cans. They were pretty handy for carrying certain, um, 'stuff' around back in the 60's, as I vaguely recall.

Re: Things the Suck

Speaking of the 60's and "um, stuff", I was reading online some of the prices in the stores that are opening up in Colorado. It appears that the days of $10-15/ounce are long gone. Oh brutha, I AM old!

Yes the $10-$15 per baggie days are gone but...

My nephew forced me to take a hit about 5 years ago and it may seem expensive now, but it is also about 10 times stronger than anything we saw back in the 60's. I was on my butt, in a lawn chair, by the pool, for the next two hours, with a bag of Cheetos.

So now my dog is going from room to room trying to "dig" through the rug in each room.... What the hell? When I say " WHAT are you doing?" She just looks at me and wags like I'm the crazy one.

That's excited anticipation about tomorrow's Puppy Bowl!

I heard the Kittens were performing at half time of the Puppy Bowl.

Absolutely, they do every year! The biggee this year (Puppy Bowl X) is that the cheerleaders are supposedly going to be penguins!

Somebody told me that one of the Kittens was going to paraschut into their stadium.

You won't wanna miss that!

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm beginning to get the feeling that you have your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek! [:D]

Nope. No jocularity on my part. This is serious stuff and I wouldn't do that tongue in cheek thing on you Geezer.

I'm told they have some contraption that will allow them to parachute a kitten into the puppy-dome play area during halftime. I just hope they aren't relying too much on that old "cats always land on their feet myth".

Oh! and the Puppy and Clydesdale horse thing! That is pretty cool too.

I'm just hoping the kittens don't have a "wardrobe" malfunction! Wouldn't want to see that!

Parachuting Kitten

See picture # 18

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/living/puppy-bowl-2014-by-the-numbers/

OMG! How do they do that! My 17 year old kitty hasn’t let me put her into a cat carrier since she was 3! (that was when I could get her into the vet after her 3rd litter of kittens and almost got mauled to death!) My mother….a little 55 year old French woman was disgusted! You’ve have thought I was the one that was the big trollop!

I was afraid of her for the first 7 or 8 years but I treated her like a dog because I never had a cat before. No jumping on the counters or the table when I knew her feet just buried some pee and poo just minutes before. She’s an outdoor cat and that wasn’t something I had anything to do with and didn’t have the heart to go against her nature.

I still miss my beloved German Shepard even after 30 years. She took so much abuse from me, my brother and my sister and never once complained. All the doors in my house had dog slobber all over them because a closed door meant that she was going to get in! My brother and I would close the door to a bed room and hear her whining on the other side and wait the few minutes that she would take to open up the door with her mouth!

I want a puppy!!!!! Whahhhhhh!

what the...

Sorry Remembering. I was watching the link Old Guy provided for the Puppy Bowl for the parachuting kitty half time entertainment. Guess I digressed too much for your liking. I thought that was okay to do here.

Now if you see me digress like that on the School Committee and Alderman strings please feel free to call me out with a "what the...."

Patricia; on this site it is fine to be a little off once-in-a-while, as most of what we say is tongue-in-cheek. With the exceptions of when someone has a really serious question.

After seeing what is going on in the other sites I am glad that we moved away, especially when I see how well my granddaughters are doing in this school system.

If the lamppost vest had no sleeves, before all of Finland relied heavily on the trumpet strategy.......................but I digress, allowedly so!

Clearly I've been replaced! Hmmmph!

All I can say is thank goodness we have Geezer around to bring everyone back to clarity.

RATT
Patricia; on this site it is fine to be a little off once-in-a-while, as most of what we say is tongue-in-cheek. With the exceptions of when someone has a really serious question.

After seeing what is going on in the other sites I am glad that we moved away, especially when I see how well my granddaughters are doing in this school system.

Remembering: Meaning no disrespect, how much do you actually SEE? Perhaps your specs need a bit of polishing?

I wouldn't say yes, but I couldn't say no. Would I say maybe? I might!
nyuk nyuk nyuk

This must be leftover energy from the Super Bowl and that stellar performance by Satan, I mean Peyton Manning, particularly that trend setting first "hyke" of the game.

hehehe....

fudge
RATT

Remembering: Meaning no disrespect, how much do you actually SEE? Perhaps your specs need a bit of polishing?

What does that mean? I SEE nuteeeng! (Sgt. Schultz)

Fudge - I didn't say the thing about seeing stuff on other sites. Ratt did.

Oh, so sorry, Remembering... It is obviously I who need to polish my specs!

RATT, are you really "seeing" a good things from your grandchildren? That would be nice news, but I'm dubious (if a bit daft--so sorry). I think Colonel Sherman T. Potter would be characterizing the cast of characters running the sad sinking ship in colorful terms more resembling the far end of his favorite kind of beast (horse). Can't say as I'd disagree, based on what I, with my foggy monocle, see. But if there is a rosier picture, then I stand corrected; otherwise, if the malarkey I see is indeed the bottom line, this line of inquiry must be moved to "that" string. The aft end of equines shouldn't be tarnished with references to "those" people anyway. So let's back to our Follies Bergère here!

I think he means he's glad he moved away from Melrose because his granddaughters are doing well in the system where they moved to. No?

This must be leftover energy from the Super Bowl and that stellar performance by Satan, I mean Peyton Manning, particularly that trend setting first "hyke" of the game.

hehehe....

Um, I think you already seid that?

Yes. I'm throwing a shiney object into the room in hopes of distracting attention away from the current, not so nice, tone of conversation.

Just figured I'd take a shot.

Ha ha! What is happening here?

1 2