Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Facts...

Nice response to that little whipper snapper Geezer.

He know not what he speaks.

Good answer Geezer. I am sure MFD does not believe you two guys are ignorant to the impact of this override. I am hoping he is trying to reach out to the other elders who may read this section in silence and may not be so aware.

You can bet your sweet bippy that this senior is well aware of the myriad and never-ending ways government attempts to put their hands in my pocket and extract what little is left of the pension check after I've used most of it just to try staying afloat. I haven't started eating dog food yet, but my dog probably does eat better than I do.

Given the fact that MFD pretty much alienates everyone he meets, I don't think we have to worry about him. We need someone running a bus service and loading the seniors up for a free trip to the polls and a tea and muffin party afterward.

OG
Given the fact that MFD pretty much alienates everyone he meets, I don't think we have to worry about him. We need someone running a bus service and loading the seniors up for a free trip to the polls and a tea and muffin party afterward.

That's EXACTLY what I will be doing Old Guy! I was wondering if our Counsel on Aging provides that service on election days. I'll find out. If not, I'm going to all the senior centers and will put up a sign up sheets for rides a few weeks before the election. I've got a posse that I know will volunteer to drive.

Do you think I should have the tea/coffee and muffins before or after? Maybe during??? Maybe all day?

Thanks Patty. Regarding the timing, I'd like to hear from our other Seniors out there.

Lots of timing things to consider. Some folks stay up late, some don't. We'd want to make sure no one gets dropped or missed the function. When do Seniors typically vote? Morning? Afternoon? Evening?

Any other issues? Come on Geezer. You're good at um... "kicking things off".

Fossil?

Wow...what a response from the seniors! Sounds like they all just woke up from their daily nap - thought I heard zzzzzzzzzzzzz nearby!

O.k....so we have Geezer, OG, and Fossil...I'll tell you what - I'll drive all three of you to the voting booths! Just give me the addresses and time for pick-up! Patty and her group can handle the others. And I'll serve coffee & donuts during the trip - assuming you guys can stay awake long enough!

I think timing is key. The point is to make getting to the polls for our seniors fun as well as a day for them to exercise their right to contribute to our community by expressing their views on how the passage of this override will directly affect the quality of their lives…for or against.

I plan on taking the entire day off from work on November 3 to volunteer to drive ANYONE who needs a ride to the polls from 8:00 am to 8:00pm. I’m going to work on organizing informational sessions at the senior centers as soon as I can to get the word out.

I’m making up flyers to post everywhere I can. The last time I did this was about 10 years ago and got the Aldermanic Chamber packed with parents who didn’t want the names and addresses of their children given to the school committee. It was a very successful grass roots effort even though many of the flyers were ripped down.

I may or may not be successful in getting the City to host a community wide forum to discuss the override but getting the word out to seniors is definitely something I can do. My letter to the Mayor, Aldermen, School Committee and others only got one response. But it was good! Mike Lindstrom, the Mayor’s assistant, emailed me back and told me that the Mayor was on vacation but that he would make sure he got the message.

Regardless of whether the Mayor will embrace a community discussion or not, I will put putting all of my efforts in trying to reach all the Melrose citizens I can….and I need your help gentlemen/women.

OG

And don't forget a secret room in the back where the older guys can sneak a few beers without being nagged.

Now you're talking!