Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 25 mph

Hey RATT, ltns!
I did see a new sign somewhere, maybe on Howard St., not sure, that said the citywide speed limit is 25mph, unless otherwise posted.
From what I've seen so far, every 30mph sign has been replaced, and that police speed limit sign is on Upham, flashing red if you're over 25mph [:)]

Why is this in the seniors section? The topic is a city-wide initiative...

Anyway, those standard 25mph should not have gone up. They still need state permission to install regular speed limit signs. The only ones authorized are the "thickly settled 25mph city-wide" signs. Then again, state records didn't show any official speed zones in Melrose before anyway, so why not just continue the trend of being non-compliant.

Either way, the 25mph change is a good thing. Now if only future roadway designs could self-enforce it.

M10
Why is this in the seniors section? The topic is a city-wide initiative...

Anyway, those standard 25mph should not have gone up. They still need state permission to install regular speed limit signs. The only ones authorized are the "thickly settled 25mph city-wide" signs. Then again, state records didn't show any official speed zones in Melrose before anyway, so why not just continue the trend of being non-compliant.

Either way, the 25mph change is a good thing. Now if only future roadway designs could self-enforce it.

This is just friendly Senior socialization; that is why this is here. If you want to make it into a big issue for argument then bring it up somewhere else. No arguing in here. Maybe that is why some of the seniors haven't been posting; unless God forbid something else happened.[:-|]

Try driving Main Street from Franklin to Wakefield if you want some more finger gestures? The tailgating here is brutal.

I'm a bit concerned also MAG, I hope 'oldguy' checks in!

Here, Sergeant!

Glad to "see" you're here Fossil!!!!

The Web site up and running thank you .

Was just curious to see if anyone would read "Notifications" again if it was a different date! [:)]

I definitely have seen a slowdown of traffic on Upham Street since the new speed limit of 25 mph was recently implemented. Also, I have intentionally gone 25 mph up and down on Upham Street to see if people would honk their horns at me - to my surprise - every time I have done this - no honks! The far end of Upham street towards Saugus has always been a speedway - it'totally different now - and that's good for safety for both driver and residents!

Amazingly, I agree with you that traffic does seem to have slowed down a bit, because I honestly didn't think it would. However, I have not shared your "no honk experience", as doing exactly 25 does appear to upset a lot of people, at least when I've tried it.

The speed is perfect at 30 mph on those streets. I am so glad the city went to 25 mph for the drivers that like to speed.[Forbidden]

Yahbut, the speed limit is 25, not 30. Are you implying that you're one of those chronic lawbreakers?

Geezer
Yahbut, the speed limit is 25, not 30. Are you implying that you're one of those chronic lawbreakers?

Smarten up, Geezer.....you won't get a ticket going only 5 MPH over any speed limit given the accuracy of the speed guns.

Not my point, of course.

I've been a conservative driver with no accidents for fifty-five years now. I've driven 30 mph throughout Melrose for forty-five of them. A 25 mph speed limit is just plain stupid.

When will it end?
I've been a conservative driver with no accidents for fifty-five years now. I've driven 30 mph throughout Melrose for forty-five of them. A 25 mph speed limit is just plain stupid.

Hey - stone-age person - life is full of changes - get with the program - Melrose is 4 square miles and congested with housing & kids - slower speeds saves lives!

Just a guess, obviously, but I'd say that the chances of you driving 25 mph on Upham, Lebanon, or the upper part of Main St. are zero.

Do illegal immigrants need to adhere to the 25 mph rule?

My memory may not be perfect, Mr/Ms. Stone Age, but I recall there were many more children forty-five years ago than there are today. 30 mph was never unsafe before and still isn't. 25 mph is more unsafe because traffic backs up with more congestion and more opportunity for accidents.

When will it end?
My memory may not be perfect, Mr/Ms. Stone Age, but I recall there were many more children forty-five years ago than there are today. 30 mph was never unsafe before and still isn't. 25 mph is more unsafe because traffic backs up with more congestion and more opportunity for accidents.
Agree 25 mph feels less safe. Cars stacked one behind the other. There are limited sight lines. When a kid on a bicycle gets hit at 25 mph because the driver couldn't see ahead, the 5 mph difference won't mean much.

Not That Old
When will it end?
Agree 25 mph feels less safe. Cars stacked one behind the other. There are limited sight lines. When a kid on a bicycle gets hit at 25 mph because the driver couldn't see ahead, the 5 mph difference won't mean much.

What kind of stupid crap is being talked about above? Because there is a line of traffic in front of you - makes it difficult to see ahead of you at 25 mph and will cause more accidents? This is old person - stupid talk - we call it senility! Given that the above person said that 45 years ago there were more children - must mean there are fewer children now - therefore - LESS chance of an accident involving children - especially when the speed is slower with more chance of stopping in time.

You old timers need to get some rest for that weary brain of yours.

Go 40mph it works.[8-)]

At first I thought that those digital "slow down" signs were stupid, but now I believe that they might actually have an effect. It's sort of nice to be thanked for doing something once in a while, even if it is by a sign!

I also love those digital speed limit signs! We should have more of them in Melrose! They work for me and remind me that I may be speeding. I live off Upham Street and I can tell you they are working perfectly - see considerably less speeding!

I think the "get used to it" period is over, but they need a better place to sit than the church driveway. We all know about that one!