Melrose Seniors Friendly Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question 1

"Nurses say No" "Nurses say YES" Thank heavens it's not confusing!
Now the latest is that "all hospitals say NO". That sounds pretty convincing, until you remember that hospitals are indeed for-profit businesses, as much as we sometimes hate to admit it!
Oh well, I guess I'll actually have to read that information for voters booklet that I've received.

Re: Question 1

I have two daughters who are emergency room nurses. Both are voting no, despite their own union backing Question 1. Both say they'd rather be overworked than have someone die waiting for a nurse that has reached their legal limit. For them, it's not about money.

YOU ARE RIGHT. I WILL VOT NO.

Nurses who actually work in the trenches day after day, abused by corporate management for profit types are all voting YES on question 1. Get rid of the unnecessary layers of administrative managers. Corporate is pushing NO and have the power and money that the grassroots YES folks do not have. David and Goliath.

And then there is the letter from our mayor......there are no words

Fossil
I have two daughters who are emergency room nurses. Both are voting no, despite their own union backing Question 1. Both say they'd rather be overworked than have someone die waiting for a nurse that has reached their legal limit. For them, it's not about money.
Nurses who actually work in the tranches day after day are NOT all voting yes.

LOL sweet dreams and please stay away from hospitals if u r in trouble and oh btw we all know that the emergency patients are "redirected to other floors to maintain the census numbers to retain profit:. Do not get me started I know where the bodies are buried.....

MAKE SURE YOUR NURSES HAVE MALPRACTICE INSURANC.....

Vote YES
LOL sweet dreams and please stay away from hospitals if u r in trouble and oh btw we all know that the emergency patients are "redirected to other floors to maintain the census numbers to retain profit:. Do not get me started I know where the bodies are buried.....
Apparently not.

While they do complain about being short-staffed, their chief complaint seems to be be the number of times they are assaulted by junkies and other assorted scumbags.

And of course they have malpractice insurance. Why are you shouting?

Did not intend to shout, sorry about that.

It's the fact that the hospitals all seem to be supporting "No" that makes me wonder.

Geez, it's the one size fits all aspect of Question 1 that is the unworkable part. I would guess that ALL nurses would support additional staff, but a formula that works for Mass General might not work at Anna Jacques, for example.

To my mind, the correct approach would be to set up an independent committee and to evaluate every hospital individually. Sure, that would take some time, but in my experience rushing into a one-size fits all mandate is terribly short sighted. I will cost local hospitals a lot of money, true, and may cause closures, but it also takes away a lot of the ability to make on-the-fly decisions.

I don't want my caregivers making decisions on my care based upon some government mandated formula. How have government mandates worked so far? I want them to use their best judgement and experience - for example, if my daughter has four patients, say three headcolds and a sprained thumb, and a multiple victim accident scenario hits the ER, she should be able to spare time from those minor problems to help with the big ones.

Now having said that, I fully support the MNA and other unions and their calling for more nursing staff. I just don't think this is the way to do it.

I was kind of on the fence about this, but as soon as the prior poster said "government mandate", my hackles went up because that's exactly what Question 1 would be. I can't think of a single recent government mandate that hasn't cost 10 times what they said it would. I also agree that one size fits all is the wrong way to go.

To the previous poster, you make valid points.I wish you and your brave daughters well. CA had a transitional approach to the inception of a similar bill. I know the originator of the bill personally and she only has the best interest of nurses and most importantly patients at heart, not the heavily layered high payed for profit managers, admin, corporate types who are responsible for the short staffed conditions, inadequate wifi, lack of access to the industry standard epoch, premature discharge, lack of access to MDs on night shifts. Pro and Con has me and all of my fellow medical professionals voting yes. The reality of this bill passing is slim , because this is clearly David vs Goliath. I will tell you all that every nurse that I know has been forced to sit through "meetings" forcing NO on all of them. My sister, a seasoned former and current MGH, BID, Mt Auburn, MWH, Lahey RN and Melrose resident was absolutely offended that she was forced to attend what she was told was a staff meeting that turned into a political rally for vote no. She has been smart enough to document all that was dictated.

Please indulge me for a moment as I thank our fake Mayor for sending out a letter to apparently all registered voters. All I can say is WTH(what the heck) ...the end... Vote Yes enough said and I truly mean thank you fake mayor!!!!!!

I agree that it was not right for the Mayor to contact all eligible voters (I'm assuming that to be the case, because I indeed got a letter) regarding a ballot question.

The legality of abusing the power of a position as Mayor to further one's agenda is questionable and causes me to hold my nose. The letter sent to all registered voters by the fake Mayor was at the very least BAD judgment regardless of ones position and causes this voter to have zero faith and confidence in said fake leader. Override NO WAY

Vote No on #1 Yes on #2 and Yes on #3 so NO, YES, YES. Nurse, political and transgender bathrooms.

NO YES YES

It is question 1. NO 2. Yes 3. NO

NO YES NO

Shout out to Madame Mayor for supporting Vote No on One!! Congrats u won......and condolences to the staff at the ER at LMH who were informed the day after the vote that they were layed off BECAUSE the ER was closing.

That's misleading. A large portion of people who go to ER's could just as well be seen in an urgent care facilty, which is expanding at LMH. Diverting those patients from the ER reduces the caseload at ERs which actually helps the ER nurses.

Didn't I read that the urgent care facility will be expanding, and will be staffed by the current ER personnel?

No to jobs being redirected, total spin.

And be prepared to pay two co-payments to the urgent care facilities in Medford and Reading. One for the facility and one for the practitioner. They do not tell you this. Call your insurance companies and they will provide a list of locations that do not charge the facility fee. There are many in the 02176 area.

The elephant in the room so to speak begs the question...how come the corporate heads chose to announce the closure the day AFTER the vote?

So, will MWH upgrade the inferior wifi with the money saved from closing financially underperforming units and stop harassing nurses whose hard earned licenses are at stake???? Probably not, BUT.. there will be sheet cakes.

Thank you all for voting no on 1. After closing the LMH emergency room and laying off the scheduling staff and ER staff, the Executive (as if that is even appropriate lol) at MWH was able to change the carpet in her office THREE times because she did not like the color/pattern, while unit's are closed down and RN's are sent home without pay or cancelled shortly before they are due to report for duty. TRUE STORY NOT A SPIN the entire hospital is talking about this, bad for morale and reputation. JUDGEMENT/CHOICES/PRIORITIES/ETHICS/MORALS just saying........

Liawatha Warren supported YES so I voted NO

Illegitimate Gail pushed for No. So, I voted YES for the nurses and will vote No on the Override!

Nurses are the people who keep doctors from killing you.

Amen, and the good ones will move on to better opportunities. Voting NO on the override because I do not trust anything that our fake mayor supports.