遊艇老友交流站

歡迎閣下在此分享任何與遊艇活動有關的項目,包括考試技巧、駕駛經驗、機件維修、購物情報及最佳景點等資料。所有討論文章及相片必須與遊艇活動有關,而且禁止含有不雅、誹謗、誤導及商業推銷成份。所有言論內容,本會絕不負責,並且有權隨時刪除而不作任何通知。

如需刊登私人買賣租賃廣告,煩請使用免費買賣/租賃專區
亦歡迎電郵本會 info@hkyacht.com.hk 查詢交換買賣廣告專頁費用

遊艇老友交流
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Steel / aluminium fuel tank

My fuel tank is used for storing diesel, and since I will convert the boat to outboard, I am not sure whether this fuel tank is suitable for gasoline or not, does anyone here know about this?

Thanks a lot

Re: Steel / aluminium fuel tank

the main concern is wether the tank can hold the pressure or not from the gasoline vapour under hot weather....usually the tank cracks at the welding spot.Aluminium one should be better due to the thicker welding

Thanks KK, I nottice there is a vent for equalize the pressure in/out of the tank, is it ok?

I worry about the metallic tank will catch fire/spark (electric) easy which might be an inherent problem, is it a worry?

Since the tank is ~150L, I do want to keep using it....

I remember gasoline tank cannot be installed with a vent coz the vapour is very flamable.Dont have to worry about the static coz its a one piece metal though.

Any brother can confirm this?

Diesel tank could uses as gasoline with a deep clean. You can just connect the vent with a hose to the engline intake and the vapour will be used. There is no worry if the engine is shutted off because the intake is a vacuum and the flamable gas couldn't comes out from the valve to the exhaust.

What about if the engine is off?

the vapour become something like a towngas and if it goes into the starter and the spark will just......

i think it makes more sence to connect the vent by a fine copper tube to the open area or make the tank inlet leaks a bit to release the pressure

and how about if electric is connect to the tank, would it cause any trouble?

kk, do you really caught what i said about the intake? most of the new car has the same concept on that.

i know what you mean,i am talking about when the boat stay still under the heat and what could we do to release the pressure safely.

Henry
and how about if electric is connect to the tank, would it cause any trouble?

A metallic fuel tank is indeed a "Faraday Cage" which means there will be no electric field inside the tank, thus no spark INSIDE.

I know nothing about boats though.

Thanks,

so.. is it ABSOLUTE to use metal fuel tank for gasoline in boat?

The question suppose to be how could we release the pressure/vapour from gasoline safely?.....i want to know too!

kk
The question suppose to be how could we release the pressure/vapour from gasoline safely?.....i want to know too!

You can just connect the vent with a hose to the engline intake and the vapour will be used. There is no worry if the engine is shutted off because the intake is a vacuum and the flamable gas couldn't comes out from the valve to the exhaust.

how about electric spark?

Do you remember what you studied when getting the marine engineer license? Ha Ha...most of us couldn't be remember the fire safety requirement.

Firstly, aluminium tank can be used for gasoline. I believed your boat is a speed boat as you mentioned that you would like to use outboard engine. Then, the aluminium tank couldn't be too thin. If the tank is too thin, then easy to broken, and can't be affort the high pressure when it is hot.

For fire safety reason, you tank couldn't be too big as gasoline is more dangerous than diesel, 150L may be OK, it depends on how strong of the tank.

Intake vent with hose should be installed for releasing gasoline pressure, also balance the vacuum inside the tank.

Tank should be ground / earth to avoid electrostatic spark. The earthing wire should connected to the tank and the bilge area.

thankyou SIR !