Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OUR PRESTIGIOUS LEARNING INSTITUTES IN GOUYAVE!!!

Yes! DNJ

Socially and culturally, Gouyave was once the vacation spot for many of Grenada's socialites. The area was once littered with Tennis Courts, manicured Lawns with flower gardens throughout, blooming all through the year.
Who could forget Teacher Daisy Ferguson and Miss Caroline Cameron homes of Edward Street or Ms. Claris Fleming of St. Benoit Street or Georgie Gibbs home on Lower Depradine and the entire Gouyave Estate Buccan, leading up to the Great House with all the Gouyava Trees (teasing Geneveive's seemingly appetite for the fruit).

And it did not stop there, for Gouyave continued along that path, as our young fellas began to take root. We had the introduction of "The Square Dance", again by Dr. John and Ardis Wright; our own Tony DeCoteau and "The Pioneers Group" to complement our carnival festivities.

Gouyave was the mecca of sporting in Grenada as exemplified during our 24th May sporting at Cutbut Peters Park formerly Windsor Park.We had our own sporting heroes like Theo Antoine (Yes! Donald Pierre's Father; Dorothy and Reginald Wilson, children of Cyril( Pecaw) Wilson and many more, all of whom could have aspired to be world classed the opportunity presented itself.
In fact, my memory takes me back to Queens Park in St. Georges when famed female sprinter from Trinidad and Tobago, Yvonne DeCarlo got a sound cut-hass from Dorothy Wilson in the 100 meters.
Gouyave again celebrated on that day with the usual fanfare that only Gouyave knew how to do.

All this was the product of Gouyave's Anglican and Catholic School and I have not even touched on those who never set foot in any Secondary School but went on to obtained Masters and Doctorates; Dr. John Wright belongs in that group also and "ah doh fraid to call he name; one hundred times if ah have to".

So you see, " We always had bellie"

Gouyaveman

Re: OUR PRESTIGIOUS LEARNING INSTITUTES IN GOUYAVE!!!

Ok. You've taken me down the road that I'd never walked on. Many of what you've said here were things I'd not heard about. Thanks a million, for sharing it. It reminds me deeply, about the earl y and late evening sessions that were held on the L'Anse Bridge in the days gone by. That's the precious call the Gouyaveman had answered to - educating his fellowmen without asking anything for his time and knowledge to be paid to him for it. Yes. Gouyave was/is indeed a unique place in Grenada.

There was one other place in Grenada where the guys sat down and held talks on a bridge. The Moyah Bridge was much narrower and shorter than the L'Anse Bridge. Every night, the young men from Moyah gathered there, with lots of sugarcane and a variety of other fruits, and they talked the night away. Unlike Gouyave, with having serious raptures like Biology, Mathematics, History, Social, and international topics, the guys on the Moyah Bridge talks were purely humorous ones. They were more interested in getting a good laugh, before they went to bed for the night. We in Gouyave wanted something educational in our heads, before we went to bed for the night. Talks about the movies were withheld from the discussions that were held on the L'Anse Bridge. It was strictky for the edification of oneself!

Well, McIntyre, in the Central area had a lawn tennis court on his property. I've never seen anyone playing tennis on it. Also, it was off limit to the locals. But, after the deaths of the McIntyres, the tennis tenns court became everybody's court. We used it to our leisure, and pastime. Soccer and cricket matches were often played there, without anyone to stop us from playing the games. That was life,.after the McIntyres were gone.

I don't recall some of the teachers you mentioned in you previous post. But I remember that while attending elementary school, there were a few large pieces of boards, well crafted, and hanging on the walls inside the schoolhouse. On those pieces of boards were the names of many teachers, who taught at the school. I don't know if it was the.same in The St. John's Anglican School, but I remembered that.school days were very happy days!

Once again, G, thanks for sharing with me so much things about Gouyave. I'll keep it in me from now on.