Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THEY WERE SOME OF THE SHOREST MEN AMONG US!!!

Palance, Stressman, Craig, Alexis (Bull or Gisheing), Elliot, Prego Boat, Dowling Lee, and many more, were some of the tallest men in Gouyave. Standing alongside the shortest men in Gouyave, they would've appeared to look like modern day Goliaths among them, in 'a town that never sleeps'!

There were quite a large number of short men in Gouyave. The most noticeable ones were Beeshay, Shortie, Quashie, George Chatham, and his son, Guinness, Bosie, and Hot Shirt. They were short but, still, not short enough to be called dwarfs. So, no one had ventured to man fun out of them.

By far, Shortie was the shortest of them. He was the strongest built, and fastest walker/runner among them too. He was the only one that'd his own business, fixing damaged tires where he apparently was making a good living out of it. He was loved by the young and the elderly people during his tenure and time in Gouyave.

For one thing, Shortie wasn't a Mr. Mills, who sometimes dressed up in elegant styles, type of a guy; he was always seen in short khaki pants. He was a hard working man long before he started his own business.

Shortie was a wooden bus conductor, before he started his own business. He'd worked for years with Mr. Dowling Lee, who owned and operated a wooden bus called, 'Easy Going'. As a bus conductor, Shortie was as hilarious as hilarious could've been. He told strange jokes and made the passengers on the bus laugh with it. Stylishly, he blew a small whistle to signal for a stop, to drop off the passengers, when they'd reached their destinations. He was the only bus conductor from Gouyave, who blew the whistle with so much zest in it.

In spite of Gouyave being a fishing village, Shortie was never seen participating in fishing of any sort, like Beeshay was.

Beeshay was just a few inches taller than Shortie. He was a fisherman, but notthe type that ventured out to the deep oceans to catch a fish. He was often seen where the Seine Boats casted their fishing nets. He helped with the pulling of the fishing nets to shore, and collected some fishes in exchange for his help.

Unlike Shortie, Beeshay, the son of Miss Maize, wore the long pants everyday. He folded up the bottom of the pants to make them look like a three-quarter pants. He was also a great teller of jokes, and had a wonderful sense of humor, that went along well with it. Beeshay was taller than Shortie, but was about the same height as Bosie was.

Bosie was a short, and soft spoken man. Bedside being a builder, he'd loved making his own kitchen garden, and sharing the fresh produces with his friends and neighbors. Like Beeshay, he wore the long pants and long sleeved shirts mostly. In a way, he was one of the most conservative short individuals in Gouyave. He had, for whatever reason(s), loved living in a house alone. He never crossed the line with breaking the Laws of the Land. He was a hard working man, and a good citizen like Shortie, Beeshay, George, Quashie, and Guinness was.

Quashie, George Chatham (Wind Blow), and Guinness were short Indian men. They were blue-collar workers on the various plantations in northern St. John's. They were side-splitting individuals, who took liberty in making everyone laugh till their bellies were filled and couldn't have taken no more. They were lovely people, with love for the life they had. Only that, they had loved drinking booze, as a pastime, but never drank too much that interfered with their long walks home after that. They'd more jokes, than any real clown had. They were funny, funny, funny, indeed!

Another short man in Gouyave was Hot Shirt. He was a fisherman, and lived a stone throw away, from the edge of the sea. He was a great man, and, like Shortie, Beeshay, George, Guinness, etcetera, found endless love and respect from each and every resident in Gouyave.

All the above mentioned short people that were in Gouyave has left an uundoubted answer to the question of 'why can't we live together, and get along as human beings, just like it was meant to be.

NB: Moyah, in St Andrews was known to inhabit the shortest men in Grenada. They were two brothers who, unfortunately, ended up with one killing the other, for the sake of being in love with the same woman, as was reported by mouth, to mouth,

Re: THEY WERE SOME OF THE SHOREST MEN AMONG US!!!

Hey DNJ, in case you didn't know, Beeshay was also a shoemaker, although he was not as popular in that profession as Mr. Crespo Millette, Merle's uncle, or my father, John "Pipey" DeCoteau.
But oh yes, "Little Fella"/Beeshay was one of those beloved characters that gave Gouyave its home-made flavor. And btw, did you know that Hot Shirt was not an original Gouyaveman? Like Compere Jimbo and many others, Hot Shirt aka Washup came to Gouyave from Sauteurs I believe, to fish and make his home. He married Flossie, the sister of Popo, Sonny and Pilton whose parents were Mr & Mrs Benard. Gouyave as usual, morphed Hot Shirt into its own peculiar image to make him a real Gouyave man. That's why he is so often mistaken as any other real original Gouyaveman.

Thanks for the memories, my friend!

They were the the two shoe makers that I knew in Gouyave, during which time, they'd no apprentices learning the trade from them. And, I have never heard that Beeshay was a shoe maker. I knew who Beeshay was, including his mother, Miss Maize, his cousins, Donicka (sp), and Alexander, whom I believed had migrated to Trinidad a very long time ago, but I cannot recall from what time I got to know him. His daughter and I grew up on the same strret in Gouyave.

Its of late I came to know that many of the folks that were living in Gouyave weren't ture-blooded Gouyaverians. It was an helping hand from "A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE", that exposed to me, the originality of some of the people that was living in Gouyave. To this date, I would've sworn that Hot Short was a man of the soil. He definately didn't portray and foreign behaviors that would've given him away, from being said that he was a Gouyave man.

I know Hot Shirt's wife, and her backgroung fairly well. I remember her mother; but not her father.

One of the stories about Bee-shay aka (little corporal) was that on one of the recruiting sessions of the police force Mr Bee-shay got a notion to be a police officer, so on recruitment day, hell-bent on becoming a law enforcement officer he presented himself, heels together, chest puffed out and standing tall:) when the recruiting officer had had finished picking the men, Bee-shay was left standing in line. Need-less-to-say, Bee-shay was very disappointed, so he said to the officer. What about me? The officer replied sorry man you too small to be a constable, Bee-shay replied, well; Make me a little corporal then.

LOL,LOL, dig that joke man,

DNJ, Shortie was from MOYA

Moyah was a place where I'd spent some of the summer vacation each year from school. That was howI'd gotten to know the two shortest men I've ever seen in Grenada. They resembled Shortie, but Idon't know what relation there was between them. Shortie was just a little taller than they were. One of them was called,'Sugar'. Well, Idon't recall the other one name. But, he was the shortest of the two. He drove a wooden bus. I never ride on his bus, because I was too afraid that he wouldn't have been able to stop it quickly in times of a potential accident. All the same, I've never heard of him being involved in an accident of any kind. He was the one who died by the hands of his brother, in a cconflict over a woman. However, he'd two sons. They were both short (dwarfs) as well. One of them turned outto be a Calypsoian, and was magnificent when he was on stage. It was truely a great pleasure to watch him perform his songs on the big stage.

Shortie was In Gouyave for most of his life so, actually, I thought that he was a Gouyaverian, by birth. No wonder why he did not participate in fishing, while he was living in Gouyave. Because where he came from in Moyah, is miles away from the sea.

In Moyah, the residents there waited on the cars/vans, or small trucks that sold jacks and other kinds of fish o come to them. Or buy the corned jacks in Grenville, and take it home with them.

Still, Shortie came from one of the more nicest places in Grenada, in terms of having friendly people.

I inaccurately referred to Bee-shay as "Little man," it should have been "Little Corporal" as Paulita correctly pointed. Thanks Miss P.

Hilariously, it knocked the boots off my feet!

There were many jokes told about people from Gouyave, but this one tops them all. Beeshay was that good in spirit and in truth. He gave us a good time in our lives. I remember his eyes, and the way he looked at you. He was truely one of a kind of man.