Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MISS DOUNCE, A WOMAN OF SIIMPLICITY AND JOY!!!

She wore one of the most happiest and beautiful smiles ever seen by man. Without any doubt, she was, in her poor state, very contented with the way life was for her. She lived in Central with her husband, Christopher, but had no children to care for. She was best known for her dancing in the street, and carrying a good-size bamboo basket on her head without a hand on it. She wasn't a woman of mixed up mood and attitudes, but of faith and love for life in general. For one thing, her dress code was always the long white frock. Her head was always rapped up with a huge piece of colorful cloth around it. Her strength, for the old lady she was, was actually equal to that of a younger person. It was enormous to say the least. She'd never shown a sign of sickness, except for the common cold. Indeed, she was one woman of a kind in her time.

Miss Donce had a great personality. She was the kind of woman, who made everyone laugh with her silly old jokes. There had seemed to never be a dull moment in her life. For her, life was always good the way it was. She didn't have to know who you were to crack a joke with you. Fame and fortune was not in her world, but laughter was never missing from it. Apparently, the tamarind was her favorite fruit. She always had a few tamarind to offer to the kids in her neighborhood, and to the adults on their way to Boopland, an estate that was in the vicinity where she lived, to by the grapefruit. Well, I must admit that the tamarind she gave out were the most sour ones ever! But, her giving of the fruit was pure, and came straight from her heart.

Miss Donce was a regular visitor with the City of St. George's, but she didn't have a job, nor sold anything in the Market Square Market. Everyday, she travelled on the wooden bus called, 'Comfort', to get to the City of St. George's. She had a special seat on the bus. An occupant of that seat on the bus had to give it up to her, like it was a special seat for the handicap. But, she was no handicap person. No one had a problem in giving up the seat to her, because they knew who Miss Dounce was very well. Many people day was made when Miss Dounce was around. She was a real fun all day.

Miss Dounce carried a bamboo basket with her everywhere she went. Having a unique technique, she used it superbly, to carry the basket on her head, without holding it in place with her hands. The basket stayed well in place; it never fell off her head, even when she danced.

Miss Dounce was a great dancer, with the bamboo basket on her head. All the dancing that she did was without any music playing while she danced. She'd a steady rhythm, and beat on which she grooved on. She was spectacularly aware of every move she made while she danced. And the small crowd that'd gathered around enjoyed every moment of it.

Miss Dounce was not a rum drinker as some women in Gouyave was. Instead she smoked a black brand of tobacco in a white pipe as often as she could've possibly done. She never got weary of it. I didn't know what the tobacco was doing for her, but she knew why she smoked it.

Still, Miss Dounce was a perfect lady. Like many of the other ladies in Gouyave, she had all the qualities in her to be called a lady. She kept herself neat and clean as a whistle, day in and day out.

Miss Dounce did look like an aspiring actress and model, but any channels to put her in that place was not possible to come by in the times in which she lived. But, still, she entertained Gouyave and some other parts of Grenada with some of the most spectacular dancing in the street.

The times in which Miss Dounce lived is long gone. But they were some of the most happy days that we, as children had. Funny it is now, that those days are gone away from the world today forever, and ever. It's nothing more now, than a memory.

Miss Dounce is undoubtedly one of these memories that'll last with Gouyave, even as times have changed dramatically, over the years.

Re: MISS DOUNCE, A WOMAN OF SIIMPLICITY AND JOY!!!

HEY Daniel I remember miss Dounce,and all her dancing,with her gaget on her head,LOL,most of what u said about miss dounce is true,about where she use to get the tamarind,you remember there was a big tamarind tree next to the old ANGLICAN SCHOOL ,the tree was on the right hand side just before you enter the Pasture,thats where I think miss dounce use to get Tamarind, THINK SO,

I remember the tamarind tree you mentioned here. I believe that it was the shortest of all the tamarind trees I've ever seen in Gouyave. I also remember Miss Dounce being a regular passerby, in that area where the tamarind tree was. So, I believe you when you said that the tamarind she gave away did come from there.

Miss Dounce did live on a big piece of land, but on that piece of land was no tamarind trees, except for the cocoa tree and other kinds of trees which bore fruits but they weren't edible.

By the way, do you remember the tamarind tree that was on the premises of the St. Rose Convent? It was right up on top of the hill next to the house where the nuns lived. A lot of school children used to go up there to pick up the tramarind, after they had dropped off the tree. None of the children were chased off the land by the nuns. Although that piece of land was private property, the nun, who were all foreigners, didn't mind the children trespassing on it.Those were some of the good times we had as chidren growing up in Gouyave. And, too, that's when love used to be living here. Everyone could've counted on it.

Sadly, love don't live here anymore. No one these days is counting on it.

What a shame. A burning shame!

YEP I remember that tree as well,dont forget it was MR REX who lived there first and ar lot of people was afraid to venture there (Cause words was around that mr REX had GUNS LOL,LOL.

Now, you really got me with that one! I can't recall hearing the name, Mr. Rex. Guns were a thing everyone was afraid of in those days. Especially the kids.

When I was a little boy, I'd witnessed the shooting of a black dog, by a police officer. The dog was owned by Miss Muzzie, on Upper Depardine Street. It was said that the dog had rabbis (sp), so they called in the police to shoot the dog. A big, tall, and fat, all in one, Lol! police officer called, Christopher, came to where the dog was. He discussed the situation with the owner of the dog, and came to the conclusion that the dog must be killed. The police officer drew his pistol from his waist and shot the dog. The dog died instantly.

There were a few kids on the scene. When the police fired the shot at the dog, all the kids ran off with speed, because each one of us got scared, by the gunshot. I was uneasy about the shooting of the dog for days. I got over it after a little while, though.

But what remained with me was: what if the dog didn't have rabbis? Because it was never tested by a vet, or any thing like that, to prove indeed, that the might have been free from what they said it had.

The poor dog might've died in vain, after all.

Thanks Daniel for all the wonderful memories, the one about the shortest person especially "Wind-blow " had me going,really cracked up!

would you mind posting a photo of yourself ? just can't figure out who is Daniel Nathan Joseph,with such wonderful memories of Gouyave ..are you from De Lance?

there was a joke about Wind blow..he went by Dr.Otway(Tom-RIP) Doc told him ""he run down"he said ,"no Doc I walk"..Tom on examining him said blow...wind blow said"tut tut"..Tom said blow again ..Wind Blow said pup-pup

Thank you for your kind words. They made me feel good inside.

I would really like to tell you something about me, but this isn't the right place for that. However, I can tell you that I am from Gouyave. I will like to know who you are too. The name that you posted under is unfamiliar to me.

I couldn't laugh more than I did with your story about Wind Blow. The way you came across with it depicted Wind Blow, as he was in real life. Men like Wind Blow were the' cream-of-the-crop, with their humorous mentality and more. They gave us some of the best times of our lives.

By thee way, Wind Blow was the grandfather of two nephews of mine. They're wonderful men.

Suspect who you may be ,do you have a sister with the initial "P"

A, you're wrong with your speculation of me. Based on the age you are, it might difficult for you to pinpoint who I am, from Gouyave. None of my sisters is initial, "P".

I am from Mongo Road. Everybody in Gouyave, except for my schoolmates, knows me as Nathan.

Can you say who you are? Just asking!

That's my grandfather RIP, He was funny yes but commited no crimes RIP pa George.X

Off course yes ,enough respect..having a little laughter no disrespect meant

No disrespect at all. As I mention he was a funny man.

Miss Dounz was a very sweet lady. One song i remember her singing all the time to us, in Central at least was "oh way de tae-tae go tae tae, gimme the tae tae, go tae tae" i think i might have been between the ages of 7-10. She had lots of dogs who never saw the light of day, with their long toenails, you would often hear then scraping the floor as they ran around inside the house. Such beautiful memories has brought a tear to my eyes. I remember her smiling face very well.

"Miss Dounz" was a remarkable woman. What more, she acted like her age, in spite of how jok-i-fied (my word), she was. You remembered her extremely well, and the dogs she cared for as well. She was one of the many lovable characters from Central.

Another two strange, but dynamic characters from Central were Miss Carry, and her sister, Virginia. They couldn't agree with each other, and made the residents from Central laugh with their bickering and constant going at each other. Virginia was strange, but Miss Carry couldn't hold her mouth in check. She was the mad one out of the two.

Cental gave us some happy days. We owe it to the old people,who knew how to make someone's day, with jokes and odd saying, when they spoke.

Oh how i remember those days, she lived not to far from my house..lol.. i remember her blowing smoke in the head of children. she was absolutely an amazing lady!!

Yes, indeed. She was truely amazing!.

When I was writing the piece on Miss Dounce, I'd remembered the blowing of smoke in the head of some children, but I wasn't quite sure that Miss Dounce was the one who did it. Thanks for the memory! It was refreshing!

By the way, do you remember that Miss Dounce was featured in one of the Grenadian Newspaper? She had her basket on her head, when they photographed her. It was a beautiful photograph. In the photograph,she was wearing her favorite for the camara. Miss Dounce wasn't a bashful lady in no wayimagined.