Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SCHILLING, SALVA, AND CAPTAIN BRIGGO!!!

May I comment on your topic of Shilling,Salva and Briggo(Fishermen of Gouyave)I stand corrected, but are you referring to Salva Wilson(Deceased Cebert's Father)If you are referring to that Salva, then I humbly believe you are wrong, Salva Wilson was one of the pioneers in deep sea fishing, not nets.Salva Wilson, his brother Mr.Bertie Wilson and Mr.Savill,were in a class of their own when it came to deep sea fishing, not nets, Briggo and Shilling were net men, if there is a different Salva that worked in nets, then I stand corrected, my mother (Deceased) Sylvia Lewis(AKA DADA) bought most of Salva Wilson's catch of Large snappers,Trevally,common tuna, Earth Bway,etc,not commonly caught in nets.I appreciate your knowledge of a time gone by, never to be replaced,fishing in Gouyave has now evolved into a different topic altogether now(A topic I know only too well, due to my annual visits to Gouyave for the last 25 years):Oh,those halcyon days, preciously and historically depicted by Tony DeCoteau in his latest book"A town called Gouyave"),a man I remember from my childhood.

I appreciate your take on the topic, "Schilling, Salva, and Captain Briggo." And, for telling me exactly who you are. I must admit that I've never met you, but Miss Sylvia Lewis (RIP), was a well known fish vendor in Gouyave. I don't know any of Sylvia's children, but I remember Carol, whom I think wasn't Sylvia's daughter, that used to live with her on Edwards Street.

Having said that, let me assure you that I am unable to correct you, if you were wrong about Salva. What I wrote about Salva was what I knew about him. Salva was a much, much older man than I was, when I'd known him. I didn't know that he was a brother to Savill, and quite frankly, I don't recall who Bertie Wilson was. I didn't know that Cebert was Salva's son, because I did not know Cebert before 1987, when I'd returned to Grenada from, Venezuela, South America.

My post was based on the knowledge I have on the three men, Schilling, Salva, and Briggo.

I would like to think that Salva was too old then to do deep sea fishing, so he resorted to the Seine Boat, and fishing net, to keep himself going strong. I didn't know him to be a deep sea fisherman.

Some time ago, I wrote: "one man alone cannot tell all the stories about Gouyave". Your take on the topic was a true indication that Gouyave is more than one man could ever imagine her to be. There were/are many wonderful moments that made/makes Gouyave what it was/is, and the people of the past has a great part to play in the shaping of the way She's been for all these years. We must keep Gouyave alive, for the sake of the young generation. We'll always lose our people through the process of living and dying, but their contributions should be with us forever!

Little do you might know. I've learned some new things from your post. It was very interesting to read it!

Thanks for the correction, and the enlightenment on the topic. I appreciate it!

How well do I remember the little boy who went boasting to Bulla, Dunstan and his other Edward Street friends that "Dada buy ah iron-shirt for me."

Of course that little boy was you, Clive Lewis, and Dada was your mom, the one and only Mrs Sylvia Lewis. Many, many memorable and joyful thoughts are still with me when I think of her, her butcher husband "Katch," your grand-mother, Ms. Irenie, and the rest of the Lewis family on Edward Street. Would you believe that your dad's real name has slipped my mind, which only goes to show that in Gouyave we remember people far better and longer, by their nicknames than by their real names. As an example, I will sooner forget the name Collins than I would his nickname "Ball-o." Please say hi to him and the rest of the family for me.

Hey guy (here in America we don't say "bloke"(lol)), I'm glad you added the name "Dada" by which your mother was equally well known in Gouyave, as she was by Ms Sylvia or Katch wife. Dada was that other name by which many of us still fondly recall who she was!!

I hope I am not mistaken in correcting your "catch of Large snappers,Trevally,common tuna, Earth Bway,etc." Don't you mean "Couvalli" instead of Trevally?
For all I know you may be right about Salva's deep-sea fishing, but I can't confirm your correction. Oh yes, Salva was indeed Mr Bertie Wilson's brother, and as best as I know, Savill was a friend, not a brother as Daniel wrote, of the Wilsons. Btw, I think Savill was the brother of Mrs. Winifred John whose children were Rita, Darryl, Joslyn and Cecil my old elementary schoolmate.

Finally thanks for that flattering comment >>Oh,those halcyon days, preciously and historically depicted by Tony DeCoteau in his latest book"A town called Gouyave"),a man I remember from my childhood.<<
That description makes you sound so much like a poet/author. Are you?

"A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE" was written intentionally to rekindle the fond memories of those of us who were around, and to teach our next generation(s) wherever they call home today, about their remarkable grand-parents whose homes during the 1950's were in Gouyave on the tiny Caribbean island of Grenada.
Kirani James is just the more renowned Gouyave man that they'll probably hear about, but there are so many, many others too.

Best regards again.