Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NAKOODA, KIRPALANI'S, AND BIG WHEEL!!!

The story of Gouyave is a continuum. There are stories of my time and there are those in yours, and so on. Daniel, each of us sometimes make the mistake of assuming that what we know everybody else knows too. I am guilty of it by not bothering to explain the relationship between Mr. Boyie, Mr. Bertie and Salva in A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE. I am sure there are many other such examples as well as other mistakes that a reader may well bring up.
You made a similar mistake like mine by assuming that by the mere mention of Big Wheel's name would cause everyone to know who you are talking about.
At first I had no idea who he was until my cousin reminded me. I do remember him although far less than his memorable brother, Neil Boy.

Come to think of it, if we have to go into a long explanation every time we mention someone's name, think of how long our posts would run. Perhaps the best that we should hope for is that the reader, if he is interested, would on his own seek more information about that person.

I join Mangodog who I thought had disappeared, in commending you and others who continue to bring the many interesting characters and stories of Gouyave back to life. Congrats!

Btw, Daniel you missed a really good one at Sunday's "Literary Affair." But don't be surprised if Carnice and her group do a repeat come the summer.

A writer often cuts and trims words from his manuscripts to bring it to a comfortable size, before he publishes it. If he doesn't trim his manuscript, a monotonous outlook will oftentimes end up in his hands as a result of it. This usually bores his readers, and cause them to lose their appetite to finish reading his book. The writer must determine how much information he wants his audience to have,, and take time to accomplish that goal. "A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE" depicted that scenario nicely, and stood in the rank and file with any other great book, that was written before it.

On the subject of Salva, Boyie, and Bertie, there was no need for a place called gouyave to set in action of the relationship between them. "A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE" explained the basic nature of the men,and it was up to the reader to seek more answers on his own, to satisfy his curiosity. I'd mentioned that you refrained from saying what the relationship was, between Salva, Boyie, and Bertie, only to make a point: a point of curiousity,, and that was all there was to it.

As for Big Wheel, if I had known what his real names were, I would have said so in my post.about him. A matter of fact, I did not know where he originated from. I was surprised to learn that he was a Grenadian, by birth! I even thought that not many people knew him better by any other name, than."Big Wheel!"

Yes, sir! There are many fractions in a single person's life. Different angles can be used, by different writers/people, to tell a dynamic story about any given aspect of his life - while keeping it between the lines of respect for the privacy of that said person. But, again, if and when a writer chose to tell his story in the form of 'the third person', he.doesn't have to be concerned with violating anyone.

"A PLACE CALLED GOUYAVE IS A GREAT EXAMPLE, WHERE RESPECT FOR AN INDIVIDUAL WAS CONCERN!

Btw, it was difficult for me last Sunday. I'd things to do. Next time I'llmake it ppossible to attend the forums.

Thanks for the Kudos!

HEY GUYS,did you all remember DE-PAPPS in d same line of work as NAKOODA,i am not sure where DE-PAPPA hail from,it could of been from Victoria or grandroy,but de-papps use to walk the length and breath of GRENADA selling all kinda stuff,IT was in the early years,I emigrated before he stop selling stuff,I heard he passed away some years ogo, Perharps TONY OR MERLE might Remember DE-PAPPS,

DE-PAPPA? I've not heard of him.

There was a man I knew from the parish of St. Mark's that walked around Grenada selling stuff from a suitcase. He was called, Porridge, aka, Poppsie. He died, but not of natural causes. He was robbed of his goods, and then murdered, by a young man from Davie.

Davie is a small community outside of Victoria in St. Mark's, just before you reach Samaritan.

Porridge was a well-known salesperson, who cracked some of the most side-splitting jokes. His suitcase was always filled with merchandise to sell, as if to say, he was a walking store. He didn't care too much about not giving credit to those who'd needed something from him, without having the money to pay for it on the spot. And, funny it was, he never log anything in a notebook in regards to those he gave credit to. He kept it in the back of his head, and did not forget about it.

As a kid, I used to watch him and wonder how he was able to carry the heavy suitcase all around the flat and sometimes rugged roads. But, it was his desire to work hard, to earn a decent living that made him do it.

Porridge taught me secretly, that where there was a will, there was a way! This, as we know, is one of the strongest mentalities one can get along nicely, in life with.

I did remember Porridge when I was writing the story about the men that walked around,.selling stuff from a suitcase. But Porridge was a man for a different class. I deliberately left him out of the story, because he deserved a book to be written on him, all by himself.

Porridge told some, if not all, of the most funniest jokes ever heard. He'd one about a woman, a.man, and a pig. This joke is too dirty to make it here. But it was a good laugh back then, and I'm pretty sure that it'll be a good laugh now!

I don't know whether or not "DE-PAPPA" was the same individual as Porridge.

In any event, Porridge was a real trip; a wise-cracker, and everyone loved him for that.

I am stunned by the amount of interesting information you guys have about Gouyave and it's characters in past times and so I read with fascination whenever a posting is made, but being a country-boy some of these characters are merely names to me.

I am moved, however to make a correction regarding your geographical placement of David pronounced Davie

>>> Davie is a small community outside of Victoria in St. Mark's, just before you reach Samaritan.<<<

Whilst the access way to David is indeed just before Samaritan, close to the Duquesne Catholic Chapel, it is in fact some distance away from the town of Victoria and also beyond Duquesne.

David is close to the village of Prospect and both villages, Prospect and David is situated in the parish of St Patrick.

Both villages are interesting because when you visit them you are taken off the beaten path, some might say behind God back!

HEY Daniel you could be right about the name porridge,cause I heard he died only when I went back home for holiday,interested cause that's what I use to hear my mother(RIP)call him papsy ,but remember persons who came through gouyave some had several false NAMES LOL.

Melo, even the christan names of some people from Gouyave is unknown to most born and bred gouyaman. Nicknames are the ones that are used, to identified an enemy or foe. In other words, one's birth certificate is domiciled, for until he has to travel overseas, or do some form of business, like getting a loan from the bank, ecetera.

Thank you, M! Davie's indeed in the parish of St. Patricks. My friend, Norril Charles, from Davke, confirmed it to me also.

Norril said, "the river is the mark that separates St. Mark's from St. Patrick's." Which means that Samaritan is also in St. Patrick's.

Everyone knows that Gouyave's never been a dark place. Keeping it alive coud only do each and every Gouyaverian good. Especilly the young generation. They should know every thing about Gouyave and its past. So they can learn to appreciate the ways/works of their ancestors lived/did, and teach it to their children one day.

Thanks for liking the pace, and information of Gouyave's past.

Mangodog, I am making a correction here.

According to my good friend, Norril Charles, parts of Samaritan is in St. Mark's, while the other parts are in St. Patrick's. Norril said, "The Samaritan Police Station is in St. Patricks, and the Medical Center in Samaritian is in St. Mark's."

What I did not realize was, the river that runs under the bridge that leads you to Davie, is the same river that runs under the bridge in Samaritan.

When I was a young lad, I'd visited with Davie twice or three time in every three or so years. I'd no business in Davie, but my step-father was from there. His mother, Tan Florie, and his sister, Miss Mammy were wonderful people. To this day, I still remember Miss Yvette, Miss Anelca (sp), Norma, Clearsie (sp), Mr. Randolph, and.Gerladine.

In the adjoining village, Prospect, there was a wooden bus called, Prospect Pride. It was owned, and driven by Mr. Roland.

Those were some of my childhood days, and they still mean a lot to me!

>>>What I did not realize was, the river that runs under the bridge that leads you to Davie, is the same river that runs under the bridge in Samaritan.<<<

Yes. And it is the same river that marks the boundary between Samaritan and Union. Union being in St Mark and Samaritan in St Patrick.

Confused? You will be!!

Certainly the person or persons responsible for the naming of Police Stations in Grenada is/are confused too.

You see there is no Samaritan Police Station. The Police Station you referred to is in fact the Union Police Station, but it is to be found in Samaritan. When you next visit the Spice go to the said Station and you will see the name written in Bold letters above the front door of the Station and I quote "UNION POLICE STATION"

I was very confused when Norril explained the area to me. I'd questioned him on how the police station is in Samaritan. Knowing that the police station is on the side of the river, on St. Patrick's side, I couldn't see it. He swore to me that he was correct, because Ihe knew better than me. He'sfrom Davie,.St.Patricks. "Union Police Station" makes more sense to me, based on the location of the river you mentioned in your post. He wasn't disputing the Medical Center,.which stood on the opposite side of the river, in conjunction with the police station.

I'm the Medical Center,.the lady that was the caretaker there was a gouyavewoman. Her name was Ma Mai (sp). Her parents were a close neighbor to me. In Samaritan,.andsurrounding areas,.she was called, Muriel.

Muriel had more than two daughters, but two of her daughters were called, Erma.(RIP), and Christine. Her son, Carlyle, aka, "Stratch", or "I-Jah-Man", were a playmate of mind in eearly days.

Muriel parents had a big breadfruit tree in their front yard. It fed me well into my teenage years. They were one set of family, who didn't make a big fuss about one picking a breadfruit, without asking permission to do it first.

The street just before you reach the bridge in Samaritan, led you to Diego Piece. However, I'm not sure if I have the correct name of it. I went there one time, with Mr. Baldeo. That piece of land was fertile. The nutmeg grew there well! Mr. Baldeo's wife, Carmen, who was from that area, had some family lands there. A whole bunch of Indian people (NO DISRESPECT), lived there.

Mr. Baldeo was once manager of the Box-In-Plant that was just off the Samaritan Bridge.

Anyway, I'm happy that you came to the rescue. Otherwise, I would've continued to lice in my ignoranceof the knowledge I have, outside the town of Gouyav.

Thank you, again! Each one help one, had enormous meankng to me, partly because of you.

I do not recall that name ..does Popsie or Porridge sounds more familiar

It depends on who you talk to. In another parish, he might have been called, by a different name yet. Still, in Gouyave, Porridge was as popular as Popsie.