Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NAKOODA, KIRPALANI'S, AND BIG WHEEL!!!

Melo, even the christan names of some people from Gouyave is unknown to most born and bred gouyaman. Nicknames are the ones that are used, to identified an enemy or foe. In other words, one's birth certificate is domiciled, for until he has to travel overseas, or do some form of business, like getting a loan from the bank, ecetera.

Thank you, M! Davie's indeed in the parish of St. Patricks. My friend, Norril Charles, from Davke, confirmed it to me also.

Norril said, "the river is the mark that separates St. Mark's from St. Patrick's." Which means that Samaritan is also in St. Patrick's.

Everyone knows that Gouyave's never been a dark place. Keeping it alive coud only do each and every Gouyaverian good. Especilly the young generation. They should know every thing about Gouyave and its past. So they can learn to appreciate the ways/works of their ancestors lived/did, and teach it to their children one day.

Thanks for liking the pace, and information of Gouyave's past.

Mangodog, I am making a correction here.

According to my good friend, Norril Charles, parts of Samaritan is in St. Mark's, while the other parts are in St. Patrick's. Norril said, "The Samaritan Police Station is in St. Patricks, and the Medical Center in Samaritian is in St. Mark's."

What I did not realize was, the river that runs under the bridge that leads you to Davie, is the same river that runs under the bridge in Samaritan.

When I was a young lad, I'd visited with Davie twice or three time in every three or so years. I'd no business in Davie, but my step-father was from there. His mother, Tan Florie, and his sister, Miss Mammy were wonderful people. To this day, I still remember Miss Yvette, Miss Anelca (sp), Norma, Clearsie (sp), Mr. Randolph, and.Gerladine.

In the adjoining village, Prospect, there was a wooden bus called, Prospect Pride. It was owned, and driven by Mr. Roland.

Those were some of my childhood days, and they still mean a lot to me!

>>>What I did not realize was, the river that runs under the bridge that leads you to Davie, is the same river that runs under the bridge in Samaritan.<<<

Yes. And it is the same river that marks the boundary between Samaritan and Union. Union being in St Mark and Samaritan in St Patrick.

Confused? You will be!!

Certainly the person or persons responsible for the naming of Police Stations in Grenada is/are confused too.

You see there is no Samaritan Police Station. The Police Station you referred to is in fact the Union Police Station, but it is to be found in Samaritan. When you next visit the Spice go to the said Station and you will see the name written in Bold letters above the front door of the Station and I quote "UNION POLICE STATION"

I was very confused when Norril explained the area to me. I'd questioned him on how the police station is in Samaritan. Knowing that the police station is on the side of the river, on St. Patrick's side, I couldn't see it. He swore to me that he was correct, because Ihe knew better than me. He'sfrom Davie,.St.Patricks. "Union Police Station" makes more sense to me, based on the location of the river you mentioned in your post. He wasn't disputing the Medical Center,.which stood on the opposite side of the river, in conjunction with the police station.

I'm the Medical Center,.the lady that was the caretaker there was a gouyavewoman. Her name was Ma Mai (sp). Her parents were a close neighbor to me. In Samaritan,.andsurrounding areas,.she was called, Muriel.

Muriel had more than two daughters, but two of her daughters were called, Erma.(RIP), and Christine. Her son, Carlyle, aka, "Stratch", or "I-Jah-Man", were a playmate of mind in eearly days.

Muriel parents had a big breadfruit tree in their front yard. It fed me well into my teenage years. They were one set of family, who didn't make a big fuss about one picking a breadfruit, without asking permission to do it first.

The street just before you reach the bridge in Samaritan, led you to Diego Piece. However, I'm not sure if I have the correct name of it. I went there one time, with Mr. Baldeo. That piece of land was fertile. The nutmeg grew there well! Mr. Baldeo's wife, Carmen, who was from that area, had some family lands there. A whole bunch of Indian people (NO DISRESPECT), lived there.

Mr. Baldeo was once manager of the Box-In-Plant that was just off the Samaritan Bridge.

Anyway, I'm happy that you came to the rescue. Otherwise, I would've continued to lice in my ignoranceof the knowledge I have, outside the town of Gouyav.

Thank you, again! Each one help one, had enormous meankng to me, partly because of you.

I do not recall that name ..does Popsie or Porridge sounds more familiar

It depends on who you talk to. In another parish, he might have been called, by a different name yet. Still, in Gouyave, Porridge was as popular as Popsie.