Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OBEDIAH, AND MR. JIM!!! CORRECTIONS & UPDATES

You are correct that the "lady that lived one, or two doors away from Miss Croix" was indeed Miss Georgiana my Tanty Georgie, as we used to call her. She was one of two of my mother's maternal sisters that I knew. The other was Miss Lucy, the mother of Miss Chrisita (the ground-nut vendor) whose children include Lester Peters (the current Homestead owner), Jacqueline (Michael Borrows wife) and others who you may or may not know.

One point of correction though, her name was not Miss Croix but actually Mrs LaCroix. She and her husband, "Doc" lived on New Street where folks like Mr. & Mrs. Percy John (the sweet drink maker), Ms. Ugee, Mr & Mrs Harrack (Fitzie, the sculptor's parents) and of course Tess, the grandma of our own webmaster. The LaCroix's home is now occupied by Decima, an out-of-wedlock daughter of Mr. LaCroix. Btw, when you get down to writing about Mr. Bobby and the other street cleaners, please don't forget to give due praise to Mr. Alexis Charles, and their boss, Mr "Doc" LaCroix. That's in case you didn't know.

As far as I know, there was no relationship at all between Miss Melda and FLJ. Ms. Melda's children were Aloysius and his sister Jessel who incidentally is the mother of Margaret and Brenda that you mentioned. Dr. Aloysius "Bowser" Charles died some years ago during a New York visit. Mr. Alexis Charles was their dad. As a point of interest, Sir Carlyle Glean and my 2nd Standard school teacher, Carlton Knight also grew up with Miss Melda and her children. I may be wrong but I believe she was their aunt.

Upon reading the posts, a friend from London who should know, called me to tell me that Frank's mother was from St. George's. True or not, I don't know because I have no idea who the woman was. But I do know that FLJ did grow up with his grandparents, cousin Margaret and her husband Mr. Graves Cumberbatch, or Pa as we used to call him.

Unless I'm unaware of it, there is no relationship between Mr. Jim and Dowlin, Hilton "BBK", Salton and Alan Lee. Jim used to be associated with Key-pooch-ee Donaldson behind the market. His brothers, Lloyd and Ben also worked with Mr. Donaldson.

And finally, you must have been much too young to remember that Allan Lee used to live in the first house from the pipe stand on the L'Anse bridge heading towards my mother's shop. There he lived with his sister Miss Muriel and their mother Miss Florie. Miss Muriel's daughter Constance Glean whose children included Winston "Ma-kee-kee", Orson, Osril and others also used to live there.

I hope that helps.

The story is very interesting. I rememher Mr. LaCroix, but only as a sick, old man who sat down in the verandah and somewhere under the verandah sometimes. Decima and a younger girl, Dawn, used to tend to him. Both Decima and Dawn were friends of mine. At one time, I thought that Mrs LaCroix and Miss Georgiana were sisters. The girl that live with Georgiana had a striking resemblance, that helped me to entertain the thought that these two families were related to one another.

Even the resemblance of Mr. Jim was striking to BBK, and Dowling Lee!

With that said, I only know Central as Mr. Allan's home. Constance, whomI'd always believed to be his daughter, used to cook and send his meals to him. They'd a wonderful relationship.between them, but Mr. Allan met with his maker in one of the strangest ways imagined. His death is still a mystery to me this day.

Besides Margaret and Brenda Mitchell, I don't recall knowing any one else that was related to Miss Melda. Later, I'd learned that Sir Carlyle Glean came from that family.

I remember Mr. Alexis as a street cleaner, but didn't know that "Doc" was his boss. I'll put together the best piece of writing on Mr. Alexis.

I appreciate the knowledge you shared with me on the topic. Especially that of Miss Chrisita.

That was a great help!

Thanks!

One more thing, DNJ. The girl who lived with Tanty Georgie was her grand-daughter, Mona. The venerable military man who loves riding his bicycle in cycling meets and whom his comrades often praise so much on Facebook is Mona's son, and of course my young cousin of whom I am so proud. He is Trevor Adams.

Mona's name had slipped completely, out of my mine. But, her face couldn't elude me. She was such a quiet, and soft spoken person.

I read about Trevor Adams quite a few times. I knew him as a young lad. It never cross my mine, that he's Mona's son.

Your knowledge of Gouyave and her people is definitely a great one!

Thank you!

It's not so much that my "knowledge of Gouyave and her people is definitely a great one!" It is much more because those folks you are talking about are my close relatives.

That's understandable. I must say that "Gogouyave" caused a lot of 'cats to come out of the bag'. I mean it helped things to come to perspective. And, still, there's a lot of more things about Gouyave that I never heard about.

Hopefully, someone will tell their stories about Gouyave someday, for the sake of the young generation especially.

Gents, Great dialogue about the wonderful people mentioned in this posting. Most notable, Ms Georgina (RIP) my beloved great grand mother, Miss Idora (RIP) my beloved great grand aunt and my mother who resides in St. Croix. I maybe wrong but I recalled Mr Obediah the street cleaner. I never knew him to ride bicycles or working in any other capacity however, I thought he was the father of two or three girls about my age or younger while I was a young boy in Gouyave.

Folks like Ms. Ggeorgina, and Obediah, and Ms. Idora, that gave Gouyave its shape and form. Most of them are now deceased, but the names and good deeds are still here with us. They were great villagers,who had helped raised almost every child in Gouyave. The mark they left behind are the ones that makes us what we are today. It's a shame that those who came after us can't see the ways of yesterday's people. And, tomorrow's children will be further away from it yet.

I don't recall Obediah having chidren in Gouyave; nor beyond it, but I've heard recently,about his granddaughter, Leesha (sp), who've done well with her CXE exam, and will be attending The St. George's School of Medicine, at age 17.

Let's keep the Gouyave Light burning! It can only do us good!