Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: THE TITIREE FOUND IN THE BUSHEREE

>>>Titiree, (Titiree) a word that survived the Caribs, is an appetizing culinary delicacy. People often ask about the origin of the tetiree. The following from Dr. Groome who once taught Botany and other science subjects at the G.B.S.S. (Tony do you remember him?) in Grenada:<<<

A happy New Year to you all.
My thoughts:

I didn't know/think Titiree (sp) was a Carib word, (not that I know any Carib words.) I deduced it was/is a patois word, derived from petit/petite (Small) and ree (sp) meaning river. Actually the 2 nouns in your post title appear related to me and as far as I know are patois words,"busheree" from bouche (mouth) and ree, river, therefore 'mouth of the river', where little fish (titiree) are caught. But I could be wrong. My thinking is sometimes fanciful.

Your description of the Gobid fish (cicydium plumieri) immediately brought to mind a fish, (if that's what it was,) which as a boy I knew well, aptly called Suckstone. Now thanks to you, I believe I can give it it's scientific name.

From my own observations gained from years of familiarity with rivers in St John's I know that some of these Titiree mature into a fish called Lush. I know once titiree turn Lush yu cyan eat dem.

Concerning the good Dr Groome, my Biology master, he made a lasting impression on me with his love and knowledge of all things wildlife in Grenada. It was because of him I stopped killing snakes and serpents, an act practised by most small boys and many adults in Grenada. I now welcome them into my garden where their presence bring me joy and the knowledge that my garden is chemical-free, healthy and a good environment for wildlife.

If you don't eat it don't kill it.

I entirely agree with you that titiree is delicious and I partake whenever I can, even if I have to overcome some mental resistance brought on by visualisation of strange deposits in the busheree.
Oddly most titiree consumed in Gouyave nowadays are caught in Victoria.

Mangodog, I must thank you for you informative response. I think however I can provide more clarity regarding the use the origin of Titerie. I believe the way Beverly Steele spells it in her book “Grenada, A History of its People” might shed more light.
On page 46 she writes, “Many words such as hurricane, ajupa (a hut) titiwe (the name for little fish), Mabouya (evil spirit or the much- feared little lizard are part of the Grenadian vocabulary.”

Perhaps the spelling “titiwe” might make a difference.

Where the river meets the sea is called:

Estuary
Inlet
Or Delta
Busheree - Patois