Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John Holt (Rest In Peace) : For the tide will always be high!

John Holt was another Caribbean islander who was blessed by God, the Creator with a heavenly gift of a super-star winning, super-star fine singing voice, that gave him the superstar overabundant lifestyle. Bless him! The poet John Donne penned that 'no man is an island', but I do believe our islander singers such as John Holt, Arrow, Bob Marley were unique 'island' or 'islanders' all too themselves. And that makes personal sense to me, as they were island born and bred.

The Tide is High was a global classic song, which I remember playing the record, the real vinyl record, over and over until it became slightly scratched by the prolonged movement of the needle.

On a reflective note, what really amazes me now, twenty or more years down my personal journey line is the way singers such as John Holt, Arrow, Bob Marley etc etc, was able to bring together the Caribbean community with their supersongs,and supervoices, the ability to get the young, the old at times even the 'infirmed' tapping their feet, grabbing a partner on to the dance floor.

Also, I always admire they way they all heralded the Caribbean island or the town/village of their birth, as the best place since sliced bread! I admire they way their retained their Caribbean uniqueness despite their super fame and super riches.

So back to John Donne, as I bid my humble Caribbean fellowship farewell to a great artiste...I quote Donne "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent...."
- for John Holt superfine voice, belonged to both the Caribbean nation and all extended nations..... for after all, 'no man is an island'.

Thanks for the songs John Holt, and may your final rest be one of great peace Amen.