Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help, any one

I am an ex pupil of the st. Johns Anglican School Gouyave . I am trying to find out when the old school demolished and the present building funded by the Canadian Government was built.

I would be grateful for any information you can provide.

Re: Help, any one

Claire I am not sure if I could give you precise dates, nevertheless here it is.

I was attending the St John's Anglican School at the time it was demolished, well I wasn't actually sitting in the building when demolition occurred you understand but I was attending the school.

The old wooden structure was built to replace the old school, a stone and lime building, which was damaged by Hurricane Janet and when I was considered old enough to attend school, it was to that wooden building I was sent, Eli Peters was the Headmaster at the time.

I estimate that the school was demolished in 1963.

A temporary school was built on the Lanse to house pupils in the interim until the new school, the present Anglican School was completed. I attended the temporary school for a short period (not a whole year) but did not return to the new school, instead I went to secondary school in 1964, which is why I think the school was demolished in 1963.

I hope this helps

Re: Help, any one

No sure but it might be in 1965? I started in ABC class when the new school reopened , don't remember the old school.