Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The non acceptabilities : becoming the new acceptabilities!

Gradually over time, it seems that the constellation or cluster of societal issues that one may have thought of as personally or culturally or religiously unacceptable by a large percentage of folks - are now 'acceptable', with laws passed by some nations to protect the once 'non acceptable' societal terminologies, eg surrogacy, seeing the word girlfriend or boyfriend spiralling into 'partner', the word marriage entering a new sphere... etc.

Stretching my post to another depth, their was a time when some overseas Caribbean folks, turned their noses up to their native foods, eg salt fish, green bananas, yams. Now these foods are escalating in price like most ethnic foods due to demand by even non-community eaters - economically, nowadays I have heard via email from friends in Europe, that some folks are unable to purchase such foods on a regularly basis .

Still, for some folks salt fish, yams are now viewed as a 'luxury' - so, when have some overseas Caribbean natives, despite their new 'country identity citizenship documentation' have had a plate of say, salt fish, may I say it, with yellow yams, slices of avocado etc.??

What better topic to get the forum going, than Food, - so here I am sitting down with a plate of sweet potatoes (the real ones), breadfruit and fresh steamed tuna.

Oh, I remember the good old days of fresh fish every day... golden apples for breakfast.....