Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weaving off : weaving in the 'Creator' beauty!

Changes in society in recent months, have seen many black women (or women of colour- African descent) revealing their natural 'tightly curled' hair (be it short cropped or of whatever length) courtesy of some now superstars - instead of years of weaves, wigs, hairpieces, braids after the lengthy run of the delightful and fun Afro style went out of fashion (some people may enquire will the afro ever go out of fashion for whenever some of the black ladies wash their natural hair it automatically becomes an afro.

Many folks (especially women and may I say it some men - yes, when in London I saw some men with the 'wet look' style) have robbed themselves of their own natural beauty. Although there is nothing wrong with using products of one's choice to enhance one's beauty. I say go for it - if it works in your favour - flaunt it in the direction of all the nations - so that they can 'stop and stare' - but then it is rude to 'stare'!

Glancing back at even the slavery days photos of the naturally beautiful black women hair in plaits, or a scarf covering their heads - some with a natural winning Miss World type whiter than white smile, thick full lips, and flawless skin despite their hardships. Take a look at your grandmother, aunts etc photographs and report back, no makeup - maybe the hair pressed for that special occasion like a wedding.

Whilst waiting in an airport lounge I spotted a man with a magazine and all the women were wearing wigs....now with the tropical temperature...need I say any more!!! - where is the beauty of taking pleasure in one's beauty, instead of everyone jumping onto the 'wig wearing' bandwagon. Does it have to take a black person to wear their hair natural, to make us take note that we do have hair, as stated however short or long, its ours, its naturally!

The jest of the post was basically to encourage folks to take pride in their own and children's assets - not to make comparison with other nations - for look now, most folks wants a big bambam, thick lips...... and look at the demand for coconut water.

Speaking of coconut water, I recall with nostalgia at a young age seeing boys climbing up those tall swaying in the wind, lean coconut trees.....