Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mother Country : how 'bad' a mother is a' bad' mother?

Regardless of this so called embedded Caribbean 'conservatism' nature,of which I have been subjected to during my childhood and young adult life, this type of dictated, controlled conservatism has been synchronised and passed down form of conservatism amidst some Caribbean folks is deeply embedded and associated with the Mother Country's heavily prescribed 'be like Mother Country'('be like Mother') syllabus for its colonial citizens, of which there are remnants still around wherever the Caribbean folks are scattered. Speculatively, I would say that most of the Caribbean folks throughout the region have been subjected to these passed down values, some forward thinking folks have suffered psychologically because of this ..how bad a mother is a bad mother conservatism ideologies during colonial times.

Conservatism may have been valued a large percentage of the colonial citizens , where some Caribbean male folks may of course tried to imitate their masters, Caribbean women folks would possibly try to imitate their mistress, ie the way their household operated, and the way children was treated. The imitated Conservatism manner would have resulted in methodologies implemented by some household. For example, when I was growing up as a child, the emphasis would have been to speak nicely using grammar appropriately,( at age about 4 years, I recall my Aunty telling my grandmother not to allow me to speak patois as it would hindered me when I started school - was that part of the Conservatism values to ensure that I speak only Mother Country English),to dress nicely, pass school exams, save money to build a house, marry, show the ability to differentiate between the 'haves and the have nots - even on an infinitesimal (small) island there are folks who are in need of say a breadfruit and folks who had loads of breadfruit on their land, there were folks with 'gardening land' and folks without!

Mother Country dictating days maybe seemingly over, because, a lot of the colonials conservatism is still around in many colonised nations, but as the generations evolve, through factors such as intermarriage, broken homes, education, etc folks are now opting for differing lifestyles – the black rappers are using their own ‘language’ jargon which for some is a ‘money spinner’, that did not come about by them rapping with ‘Mother Country’ English pronunciation. There would be many Caribbean folks whose lives, including mine, may now have been shaped by values deriving from Gairyism, Bishopism, Manleyism, Barrowism, from our own reflective individualistic experiences as we journey through life weighing up our experiences as indicative by the statue of liberty weighing balance scales in hand – so I am able to liberate from the political scenario of Mother Country : ‘how bad a mother is a bad mother’.